Charity gaming

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Unclebenny 23 Feb 2009 14:17:01 23 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any charaties that take donations of games. I've got stacks of games from last gen and a few from this one, i'm never going to play again. Rather than trade them in for a quid and see them sit on a shelf and never be played again, I'd rather give them to someone who can enjoy them, preferably someone who cant afford them in the first place.

Any help?
  • crwoody 23 Feb 2009 14:18:39 2,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    send them all to me ;)
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:19:31
    Um, no. Me.
  • seasidebaz 23 Feb 2009 14:19:36 6,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have no money or games :(

Could maybe take a couple off your hands?
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:21:00
    Alternatively if you're serious about the charity angle, check out the Penny Arcade Childs Play charity. Mind you, I'm not sure if they get funny about 'pre-owned' stuff.
  • pjmaybe 23 Feb 2009 14:21:21 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your local hospital would probably take them for the children's ward. Obviously you'd have to sift out all the high-age-rated stuff but it's worth approaching them. I gave a load of my old Xbox stuff to 'em when my nipper was ill.
  • crwoody 23 Feb 2009 14:21:36 2,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have no money, games or hands* :S

send them to me!!

*may not be true
  • seasidebaz 23 Feb 2009 14:25:40 6,126 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I seriously have no money, I can't even afford Noby Noby Boy :(
  • ColonelClaret 23 Feb 2009 14:25:42 133 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I gave mine to my local charity shop. There's tons out there.
  • Unclebenny 23 Feb 2009 14:29:09 23 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice try, everyone. I'm really intedning these for underpriviliged kids, as opposed to internet beggars. I'll check out that link and the hospital angle, I was worried about the age thing as a i thnik a fair few are high rated. Not that I dont buy anything else, I'm not a violence junkie.
    I think I need to get in touch with some charities about this. I'm sure theres lods of kids out there who would appreciate these old games. there must be a charity for it. Theres charities for everything these days- even pandas. They basically want to die out.

@Crwoody- If you do have no hands I dont think most of these games would be much use to you. If you do, then you should be thankful enough for the gift of hands.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:30:27
    Charity shop?
  • DaM 23 Feb 2009 14:32:47 12,877 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Your local hospital would probably take them for the children's ward. Obviously you'd have to sift out all the high-age-rated stuff but it's worth approaching them. I gave a load of my old Xbox stuff to 'em when my nipper was ill.

I'd go for this one.

• Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:33:33
    From the Penny Arcade Childs Play page:

[code]Q. Can I send you my old Super Nintendo?
    A. Unfortunately, we canít donate used items directly to the hospitals. However, weíre a registered eBay Giving Works charity, you can sell items on eBay and have the proceeds benefit Childís Play! When you begin the listing process, there is an option when youíre setting the price to select a non-profit to benefit. A simple search for "Childís Play" will turn us up. eBay will ask you to register for a MissionFish account, but itís straight forward. Youíll need a credit card to complete the process. Please read through eBayís Giving Works website for more information at http://givingworks.ebay.com, so you that understand how you will be billed when the item is sold. You could sell pretty much anything to help the kids![/code]
  • jonsaan 23 Feb 2009 14:34:23 25,319 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Take them all down to your local charity shop. Then they can turn your nose up at your generosity and send you away without taking them. That's what they usually do when I go down there.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:34:23
    I'd just contact your local hospitals and ask them yourself if they're interested in some second hand games for the children's ward.
  • crwoody 23 Feb 2009 14:35:41 2,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Unclebenny- You are right, How very insencetive of me :(
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 14:35:44
    jonsaan wrote:
    Take them all down to your local charity shop. Then they can turn your nose up at your generosity and send you away without taking them. That's what they usually do when I go down there.
    Last time I went down with a few of those big strong plasticky fabric bags the supermarkets sell you for 50p to use till they break, loaded with books, they took everything including the bags, which I had to ask to be handed back. They seemed most miffed about that. Old ladies and bags, tsk.
  • ColonelClaret 23 Feb 2009 14:53:11 133 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some charity shops are a bit picky, but generally where there's one charity shop, another is two doors down. Cancer Research didn't take my games, but Barnado's were well happy with them (and an old XBOX controller).
  • Ged42 23 Feb 2009 15:08:04 7,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been finding charity shops as a great source for cheap games, so it should be no problem dumping them there. Try and find one with a young lad on the till since he's more likely to take them in, rather than some old biddy who thinks all games are the spawn of satan.

Or if you live anywhere near Biggin Hill in Kent, take them to an animal rescue place called Foal Farm on Wednesdays or Sundays and I'll make sure they get taken in.
  • Unclebenny 23 Feb 2009 17:27:12 23 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mmmmm, lots of interesting ideas.
    I dont quite want to sell them on ebay/ through a charity shop because they're last gen games and will only fetch a paltry sum. I was hoping their might be a charity that would take them for people living in shelters or something along those lines and people could just play and enjoy them. That would be much greater than their monetary value.
    My mum is a midwife on the NHS so I'll ask her about giving them to the local hospital. don't know why that didnt occur to me before.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next