Some PS3 games may have no trophy support in 09

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Bobby1234 18 Feb 2009 14:19:58 139 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    here.

Seems that some games actually won't have trophy support this year, as promised.

"To clear the issue up and get clarification on the matter, we contacted SCE who confirmed that Trophy support is only mandatory in titles that were submitted for certification after January 1, 2009. According to the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC,) Shellshock 2: Blood Trails was classified in June, 2008, so it was at the developer's discretion whether it included Trophy support or not. It's unlikely that this particular game will sell well, so it's also very improbable that it will ever receive the feature."
  • Progguitarist 18 Feb 2009 14:21:13 10,543 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /shrugs

Its not really that important is it?
  • Darren 18 Feb 2009 14:23:06 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye, what a shame...

... not that I personally give a damn about them. Like Achievements on the 360, I find they add absolutely zilch to the games I play and I enjoy them just as much regardless.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• morriss 18 Feb 2009 14:28:41 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love 'em.
  • DFawkes 18 Feb 2009 14:34:07 24,106 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started to like them, but there was too many I'll just never get, like all the ones in Pain or Pixeljunk Monsters. So I stopped caring.

I still like Achievements, especially ones that make you play creatively. The one for Half-life 2 for doing Ravenholm without guns is brilliant, making it more like a survival horror as you scrabble around trying to find any debris you can as Grivity Gun ammo! That was missed from the PS3, so I didn't bother and found the section less tense and involving as a result.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DFawkes 18 Feb 2009 14:38:42 24,106 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No I can't, I love carrots. Help me see in the dark bits of Ravenholm.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Psychotext 18 Feb 2009 14:38:48 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc in "I don't like achievements / trophies" shocker. Some of us do, live with it.
  • Psychotext 18 Feb 2009 14:45:56 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Haha you singled me out.
    That much was easy... you're the only one who cares enough to post any significant amount about them. :)
  • Psychotext 18 Feb 2009 14:47:49 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're absolutely right. I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about them. :D
  • Psychotext 18 Feb 2009 14:51:09 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough, they were very good in that.
  • spamjavelins 18 Feb 2009 14:53:54 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    trphies/achievements are a great idea. i play games through again to get the rewards, and i find that they give games more longevity. its the equivelant of the high score board at the local arcade; its all about bragging rights. long live trophies/achievements i say, all we need are some sort of prizes for getting them.
  • the_dudefather 18 Feb 2009 14:55:38 9,419 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On a game by game basis its fine, but as for total score its a bit silly and is 90% down to how many games you own or what shit titles you're willing to play

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Psychotext 18 Feb 2009 14:56:59 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    They should implement a dust shader for Home. Accumulating more and more dust the less you use Home.
    I really must get around to installing it...

...or not.
  • makeamazing 18 Feb 2009 15:02:02 425 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love trophies, but i think some developers have made Platinum way too hard (heres looking at Wipeout for starters).

There will be a few games especially if they have already been through the approval system and were released in another country before the mandatory system came into force. Personally no games should be released without trophies but it seems some games at the end of development the devs didnt want the hassle/work, which is a shame.
  • Luckyjim 18 Feb 2009 15:49:13 2,874 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trophies aren't the be all and end all for me but, if they're implemented correctly, they're a great way to encourage gamers to experiment with how they play. I agree with some posters here though, some games have nightmarish trophy lists: Pixeljunk Eden, Wipeout, Warhawk, Mirror's Edge ...

Also, Kojima, or Kojima's programming monkey, patch MGS4 for trophies.
  • Scimarad 18 Feb 2009 16:13:20 8,639 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really do not get why people seem to get obsessed with trophies and acheivements. Don't ge me wrong, it's nice to get one but I don't see why you would desperately want to get them all.
  • Law07 18 Feb 2009 17:07:29 267 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's made me put more effort into games such as Motorstorm, Uncharted and Resistance 2 abit more.
  • JinTypeNoir 18 Feb 2009 17:16:44 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good. It should be at the developer's discretion whether they want to take advantage of it or not. For a long time, developers have included elements in games that reward players for doing all sorts of things that aren't achievements or trophies but specific to the game itself (Star Ocean series and Kirby's Air Ride, Blast Corps and Ratchet & Clank, for some examples). Why these developers should then be required to add more or indeed, add any, when it wasn't part of their design idea in the first place, is beyond me.

The less you require of a developer beyond basic game competency for a platform, the more free the development and the more I support the development type that platform offers. I'm not pleased for instance with Sony's "only applies out of Japan multiplatform PSP games must have new or exclusive content on the PSP side" thing.
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2009 17:20:00 12,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as I can carry on like they don't exist I don't care either way about trophies.

Some people feel compelled to try for them all but I'll pass on replaying games in ways I dislike just to get a trophy for something ridiculous like a certain amount of kills with a weapon you wouldn't otherwise use because it's shit i.e. the flamethrower in Dead Space.

It does seem strange that there is no support for trophies in Playstation Home such as giving you a virtual trophy cabinet or mantelpiece to display choice items. A virtual trophy is pretty pointless to start with but giving them some sort of presence in Home would make them slightly more appealing.
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Feb 2009 17:31:37 45,314 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Joeys Sony

They should be mandatory or not at all; the fact that quite a few of the games which will lack them will probably be cross-platform a(King Kong), at best they'll make you think about how to approach part of a game differently and in a way you might not have thought about (Half Life 2).

I just don't agree with JTN's logic either.
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2009 17:51:24 12,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trophies are utterly pointless and should be pretty low on any list of complaints. Besides there is nothing Sony can do about it if developers aren't including them for games that got certified last year. Here you go Retroid, I'll give you a fabulous virtual trophy* for your collection. I hope you like it.

*Joey of the day with honours. In bronze featuring a picture of Frank Spencer with his tongue stuck under his bottom lip.
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Feb 2009 17:52:52 45,314 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/

Can I display that in Home now? ^___^
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2009 17:57:15 12,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I had my way you could, the trophy would also be scaled to look about 8 Feet high in comparison to avatars. :-)
  • Deleted user 18 February 2009 18:03:39
    Trophies are fecking awesome and give games replay value. I lub them and wont buy a game that hasnt got them.
  • wayneh 18 Feb 2009 18:32:28 2,394 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the acheivements and gamerscore on the 360 but have found the trophys on the ps3 to be very meh. The acheivements do encourage me to play in different ways or replay a game I might not have replayed but I can't seem to get the same enjoyment from getting a trophy. Probably just me.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Deleted user 18 February 2009 18:42:56
    The level system in the trophy thing is cool too. Im always wanting to get the next level ( currently lv.6)
  • Deleted user 18 February 2009 20:14:08
    DaemonB wrote:
    The level system in the trophy thing is cool too. Im always wanting to get the next level ( currently lv.6)
    Dammit, I'm Lv. 5. I'll have to pull an all nighter on Farcry, and I hate that game :)
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2009 20:19:53 12,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So how exactly do the levels work then? One level for each hundred points earned is my guess.

Stay on level 5 Ed, I don't want to be the only one left. :-(
  • Retroid Moderator 18 Feb 2009 20:26:49 45,314 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's just the same as Gamerscore, only they hide the numbers behind the colours of the trophies. A pretty transparent attempt at hiding just how close they are to achivements.

@wayneh: not sure why you'd like achievements / gamerscore, yet trophies / levels leave you cold, they're pretty much the same thing :)

(Except, possibly, that trophies are more rigid in how many behind-the-scenes points can be assigned to each one)
  • Deleted user 18 February 2009 23:33:25
    Personally I feel trophies give me more satisfaction than getting achievements. I do like getting my gold/silver trophies and tonight my first platinum, and then leveling up rpg style :p

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous