Stand Up Comedy Page 4

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• morriss 10 Jun 2009 08:33:27 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    People who don't like Stewart Lee have no sole. Fact.

Nice one. Never heard of him before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i91KQs12-q4&feature=related
  • TheHitman 10 Jun 2009 11:06:19 193 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's pretty easy to dislike Stewart Lee but I really enjoyed 'Comedy Vehicle'. His comedy clearly wouldn't work on a panel show or 'Live at the Apollo' as he needs time to build his ideas and to tie them together in certain themes.

Speaking of Live at the Apollo, Rhod Gilbert was pretty good the other night. He can get a little manic but it works.

Oh, that reminds me of the first time I saw him when he opened with the line:

"I don't know what you know about being Welsh........but it's not all glamour."
  • cubbymoore 10 Jun 2009 13:18:07 36,468 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    People who don't like Stewart Lee have no sole. Fact.
    Saw him do a preview last night. He is amazing. Then again I've been a fan for about 11 years now.
  • FWB 10 Jun 2009 13:22:08 43,860 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think stand-up an incredibly hard thing to do which is why 99% of it is rubbish.
  • cubbymoore 10 Jun 2009 13:24:51 36,468 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a large percentage.
  • daithi90 10 Jun 2009 13:57:03 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just filled in my application for So You Think You're Funny at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival so hopefully that comes through for me.

I'm going to try get a slot somewhere in London over the summer. Met a girl in Kilkenny who has offered me her couch if I ever go over so that accomadation sorted.
  • w00t 10 Jun 2009 14:30:18 11,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're pretty good daithi90 :)

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• daithi90 10 Jun 2009 14:48:36 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thank you all for the kind words:)
  • President_Weasel 10 Jun 2009 15:01:36 8,984 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:
    Just filled in my application for So You Think You're Funny at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival so hopefully that comes through for me.

I'm going to try get a slot somewhere in London over the summer. Met a girl in Kilkenny who has offered me her couch if I ever go over so that accomadation sorted.

That's a hell of a commute Daithi, why not look for a couch in London?
  • daithi90 10 Jun 2009 15:03:00 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    daithi90 wrote:

That's a hell of a commute Daithi, why not look for a couch in London?

Haha, I probably should have been more specific.
  • daithi90 1 Jul 2009 13:10:57 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My latest set. Very rough and unpolished though.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Jul 2009 13:59:49 16,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the "sorry, boo", brilliant. You seem to be improving in delivery, so well done. You might want to considering slowing down a bit for your punchlines, sometimes it seems a bit rushed and if you've spent time figuring out a punchline it's a shame if everyone doesn't hear it.

Also, I'm a big fan of props, good work, the flow chart is a good idea but it's a bit too extended and your funniest moment (to the crowd) of the prop is the horns, which is odd as it is quite a clever joke and punchline. Perhaps just shorten the options for the punchline as the people might get it then. I must admit, I didn't get it straight away, though I wasn't paying that much attention at the time but that might relate to you rushing through that moment a bit.

Not that I'm a stand up or anything :-) Just what I feel about what I watched. Hope it is some help.

You are a factory of sadness.

• sirtacos 1 Jul 2009 14:09:46 7,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just discovered Dara O'Briain. Great.
  • daithi90 1 Jul 2009 18:35:11 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    I like the "sorry, boo", brilliant. You seem to be improving in delivery, so well done. You might want to considering slowing down a bit for your punchlines, sometimes it seems a bit rushed and if you've spent time figuring out a punchline it's a shame if everyone doesn't hear it.

Also, I'm a big fan of props, good work, the flow chart is a good idea but it's a bit too extended and your funniest moment (to the crowd) of the prop is the horns, which is odd as it is quite a clever joke and punchline. Perhaps just shorten the options for the punchline as the people might get it then. I must admit, I didn't get it straight away, though I wasn't paying that much attention at the time but that might relate to you rushing through that moment a bit.

Not that I'm a stand up or anything :-) Just what I feel about what I watched. Hope it is some help.

Cheers. :) I was rushing through it because I was told I only had 5 minutes so I wanted to get the magazine bit in. But usually I'll have 7-9 mins so I'll be able to take my time.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Jul 2009 18:42:38 16,853 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, I wondered if it might be something like that.

You are a factory of sadness.

• JDub 1 Jul 2009 19:52:52 1,290 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm a fan of Steve Hughes - Alas, haven't seen him with any airtime from what I've noticed, but a great stand up all the same...
  • CaptainBinky 1 Jul 2009 19:58:49 2,244 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JDub wrote:
    I'm a fan of Steve Hughes - Alas, haven't seen him with any airtime from what I've noticed, but a great stand up all the same...

Ooh yeah - saw him on Mickey McIntyre's Comedy whatsit and thought he was great - will be looking out for him in the future :o)
  • danathjo 1 Jul 2009 20:20:28 7,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @daithi90
    just saw your set and really liked it
    +1 subscribers!

really must see more stand up as it's always been a great night out, really close to a great venue in Balham too..no excuse really
  • daithi90 3 Jul 2009 16:53:08 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JDub wrote:

He was a on a tv show over here, that I was in the audience for, as a drummer. Hadn't heard of him beforehand but he was very funny. It wasn't stand up he was doing more talking to the audience between takes and then he'd drum and improv some lines to the host.
  • steve1979 4 Jul 2009 20:29:30 1,988 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:

Just saw this, the pregnancy bit cracked me up. Especially the smoking bit and 'how to spot an evil twin.' Great stuff.
  • thrawn 4 Jul 2009 21:25:04 891 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:

Just watched this and thought it was brilliant. Especially liked the advice about not dangling babies over balconies :)
  • Tabasco 4 Jul 2009 21:39:59 5,780 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great stuff Daithi! I've been following this thread since the start and you do seem to be getting more comfortable up there. Keep it up dude!
  • funkyd 5 Jul 2009 00:21:39 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    ps. straightedge?

..What about it?
  • daithi90 5 Jul 2009 04:40:58 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Fair play daith, some funny stuff in there :)

I have amazing respect for anyone who can get up and do stand up too.

ps. straightedge?

I am indeed!
  • daithi90 5 Jul 2009 04:45:18 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tabasco wrote:
    Great stuff Daithi! I've been following this thread since the start and you do seem to be getting more comfortable up there. Keep it up dude!

Thanks very much!:)

I was amazed at how I was on stage last week. The show I did before that was terrible and I was sure the nerves would get to me that night too.

• Fatiguez 5 Jul 2009 11:13:20 8,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:
    blizeH wrote:

ps. straightedge?

I am indeed!

Aw man, I had no idea you were a MASSIVE FAGGOT. I used to think you were cool :(
  • BabyJesus 5 Jul 2009 13:39:51 4,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:

Nice work mate. Make me laugh so you did the job well.
  • daithi90 5 Jul 2009 14:17:36 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fatiguez wrote:
    daithi90 wrote:
    blizeH wrote:

ps. straightedge?

I am indeed!

Aw man, I had no idea you were a MASSIVE FAGGOT. I used to think you were cool :(

Haha, I'm not the self absorbed preachy cnut type though. Don't care what others do, none of my business like. :)
  • daithi90 14 Jul 2009 18:03:01 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm flying to London for the day tomorrow, so I've decided while I'm there I'll drop in to a few comedy clubs and leave my details with the owners.

Just need the names of some good comedy places first. Any recommendations?
  • Page

of 25 First / Last