The Photo Gallery Page 4

• Page

of 484 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 2 Aug 2004 13:57:45 35,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Day wrote:
    valli wrote:
    I've finally moved and updated my domain with photos taken by me.

Really like the site valli, great piccies too! :)

Edited by Day at 12:42:59 02-08-2004

Yes, great site, valli, very nice design. And great pictures, too. Excellent idea to have the complete picture on the left and a magnified part on the right.
  • Lutz 2 Aug 2004 13:58:07 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    Lutz wrote:
    Hyoushi, are all of these linked to from the main Gametards page?
    All the photo galleries? No. No they're not.
    Oh...

/is gutted
  • Day 2 Aug 2004 14:13:03 313 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got some piccies on my site turboslug if any ones interested...

Taken with a Canon 50E, but just got a Konica Minolta Z2 but haven't had time to put those up yet or create the new summer style for the site.

• Deleted user 2 August 2004 14:19:00
    Thanks guys for the kind words.

Day, the BW pic with the rings is nice and so is the streets picture. What is a Minolta Z2, is it a DSLR?
  • Day 2 Aug 2004 14:27:34 313 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    What is a Minolta Z2, is it a DSLR?

Yeah, well I think they call them SLR 'like' lol It's quite a hard camera to find reviews for... doh!

It wasnt a very expensive digital camera, but it has 10x zoom, good macro, plus video with sound at 640x480 30fps and 800x600 15fps. Its not the best out there but it does the job!!

It's just something I can take about and quickly take snaps instead of lugging round my big 50E.

Edited by Day at 13:30:24 02-08-2004
  • cyk 2 Aug 2004 14:28:36 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent site and shots there valli. /adds to links page (under construction) :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Aug 2004 14:33:20 35,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Day wrote:
    I've got some piccies on my site turboslug if any ones interested...

Taken with a Canon 50E, but just got a Konica Minolta Z2 but haven't had time to put those up yet or create the new summer style for the site.

I am completely taken aback by the 4th Florence photo, the one with the carabinieri (or rather: soldiers) sitting on the door step.

It looks exactly like the entrance to the house in Florence where I spent two weeks on holiday last year, and I mean exactly. Now of course there are probably a few hundred similar doorsin Florence, but still. You don't happen to remember the adress? ;-)

Edited by UncleLou at 13:34:16 02-08-2004
  • Day 2 Aug 2004 14:43:49 313 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    It looks exactly like the entrance to the house in Florence where I spent two weeks on holiday last year, and I mean exactly. Now of course there are probably a few hundred similar doorsin Florence, but still. You don't happen to remember the adress? ;-)

Cant remember the address but I was sat have a pizza outside a restaurant and to the right at the end of the street/square was a church called something like 'Spirito di Santo' Is that any help?

Edited by Day at 13:52:48 02-08-2004
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Aug 2004 14:46:21 35,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hm, yes and no, unlikely then. Amazing, though. :-)
  • reflux 2 Aug 2004 17:03:14 1,804 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    I added some new ones too.

Wheee! Pictures of Dozer. Saw them in Gothenburg last year. They are from Borlänge, aren't they?
  • reflux 3 Aug 2004 10:42:10 1,804 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    I've just uploaded some pics from my weekend in Gothenburg.

HAH! So you went up to Skansen Krona? AWESOME view from there :) So where did you go besides Liseberg and Linnéstaden (which I guess was where you stayed aswell, judging from the pics)?

And oh, I visited Högskolan i Dalarna, both in Falun and Borlänge, a couple of weeks ago :o
  • cyk 15 Aug 2004 22:23:55 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished my new photoblog site, petemc.net complete with rss feed :D
  • Deleted user 15 August 2004 22:40:08
    cyk, those are excellent shots! I'll take a look at them and return with some more feedback. Needless to say, some of them are quite inspiring. So inspiring I'm off to try a few things right now with my camera! :)
  • cyk 15 Aug 2004 23:22:31 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    cyk, those are excellent shots! I'll take a look at them and return with some more feedback. Needless to say, some of them are quite inspiring. So inspiring I'm off to try a few things right now with my camera! :)

Cheers man, means alot :D
  • Deleted user 16 August 2004 21:03:57
    cyk, as I said yesterday, nice pics. My favourites are:

- the Sunsets folder: pretty much everyone, and in particular #4 (is that a drum stick in his hand?) and #6

- Abstracts: I like your comopsition style, pretty much breaking the thirds rule. It gives nice dynamics in the pictures

- Animals: #2, no question about it!

- Almost everything on Expresive, esp. no. 3-5. #3 gave me a warm, cozy Christmas feeling, I could almost smell it in the air

- Still life, very nicely done and exposed shots; indeed, products of the digital age, eh? :) It would take hours and hours of experimenting plus film costs to do such stuff chemically

- Street: #3 and #5, wonderful! There's something "wrong" with the composition in #3, but I love it anyway :)

- Infrared: are those "real" infrared shots modified in PShop or digital and modified? Can't really tell.

Oh, and a web site note: for some reason the first page I see is the Sunsets folder, is it meant to be that way?

Also, the navigation is a bit odd, I missed a lot of shots before understanding what the "All Pages" link did. Maybe it's just me...

BTW, the experiment I did yesterday based on your illuminated still life shots was some self portraits in total darkness, long exposure (5-7") and illuminating my face using the display of my phone, sort of "washing" all over it. It turned out interesting, ghost-like but blurry because I was moving. Will try again with a tripod and a subject.
  • reflux 17 Aug 2004 10:49:24 1,804 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @cyk: I love the hammy-pic but then I'm a hammylover. Will look through the rest later. but my first impression was "wow".
  • GrandTheftApu 17 Aug 2004 11:00:05 6,119 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well while the photo site pimpage is going on, may I point you at my girlfriend's site which I designed BTW. I've just uploaded some of the pictures she took when we were in Sri Lanka.
  • cyk 17 Aug 2004 11:21:50 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    cyk, as I said yesterday, nice pics. My favourites are:

- the Sunsets folder: pretty much everyone, and in particular #4 (is that a drum stick in his hand?) and #6

It was some sorta stick with a rope for fishing :)

- Abstracts: I like your comopsition style, pretty much breaking the thirds rule. It gives nice dynamics in the pictures

Ta :D

- Animals: #2, no question about it!

Ta :)

- Almost everything on Expresive, esp. no. 3-5. #3 gave me a warm, cozy Christmas feeling, I could almost smell it in the air

I used that shot for my Xmas cards :)

- Still life, very nicely done and exposed shots; indeed, products of the digital age, eh? :) It would take hours and hours of experimenting plus film costs to do such stuff chemically

Aye for sure. Took 3 hours to get that shot perfect.

- Street: #3 and #5, wonderful! There's something "wrong" with the composition in #3, but I love it anyway :)

Yer there is something about that shot that I like too, dunno what :)

- Infrared: are those "real" infrared shots modified in PShop or digital and modified? Can't really tell.

Yup real Infrared using a Hoya r72 Infrared filter on my 10D. They're then fixed in Photoshop to make them less red :)

Oh, and a web site note: for some reason the first page I see is the Sunsets folder, is it meant to be that way?

Yer, everytime I add new photos the main index page is updated with those new shots and has the category heading there too.

Also, the navigation is a bit odd, I missed a lot of shots before understanding what the "All Pages" link did. Maybe it's just me...

Ah nuts :) I've changed it now so it says "View all these photos". I didn't want to have 56k users to download 1mb's worth of images :)

BTW, the experiment I did yesterday based on your illuminated still life shots was some self portraits in total darkness, long exposure (5-7") and illuminating my face using the display of my phone, sort of "washing" all over it. It turned out interesting, ghost-like but blurry because I was moving. Will try again with a tripod and a subject.

Cool :) I've seen some really amazing shots using this style, and its great cos its pretty easy to do and its not overly used so you can produce really amazing shots with only a bit of thinking outside the box :) Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks again :D

Edited by cyk at 10:24:46 17-08-2004
  • Deleted user 5 September 2004 21:25:12
    Yuck, ugly beasts! That's a nice macro function you've got there. Can you get even more depth of field or are you already at max aperture? Also, a bit shame about the frog's eye being off focus...
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 6 Oct 2004 21:55:45 2,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started to hijack Otto's DSLR Camera thread with thoughts on a few of my photo's, so to avoid the wrath of Otto I'll post them here instead.

I needed a nice picture of a poppy for a coffin design (don't ask). The actual level of zoomable detail in the original full blown raw file is stunning -

Poppy - 1MB jpg.

I liked the way this bridge went off into the distance. Just wished it would have gone on forever or a blasted train would have gone over it - I did wait but got fed up.

Bridge - 1MB jpg

And I call this one "The one that got away". As mentioned on Otto's thread I forgot my bloody tripod. So picture the scene.... QE2 passes Liverpool's historic/famous waterfront in a near full moon. You've got a muppet with a camera he doesn't understand, trying to take a longish exposure when he is really guessing and without a tripod.
    I do like the end picture but then it'll never happen again so I've bloody well got to. I just think what could have been in the hands of a seasoned photographer. :(
    Too fuzzy, wrongly exposed but, (I think, so nerrrrr) good composition.

QE2 sails past Liverpool Waterfront - 1MB jpg

Edit - typos and links

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 20:59:03 06-10-2004
  • mal 6 Oct 2004 22:27:39 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The composition of the QE2 shot is very nice, you're right. There isn't one focal point - you've got the ship, the moon, the reflection of the moon and various landmarks - but since it's such a wide shot I think a single focal point wouldn't work. The blurring isn't too bad if you zoom out to 10%. As for the exposure, I don't know what more you could have done for that. You could have forced the camera to over-expose it which might have brought out the sea better, and I don't think it would make the lights look too bad, but I'm not sure. Of course, you probably didn't have the option of upping the ISO in that light, and if you'd done a longer exposure the blurring would've been terrible, so I think that actually might be the best photo you could've got with that equipment.

The poppy, like you say has great detail and good colours, but I'm not convinced about the composition. There's a bit too much purple and blue crap in the background, and I might've looked for a more round specimen. It arguably looks better 90 degrees round, but then the framing is wrong.

The bridge though I like a lot. It just shows what cropping a shot can do. It's got a nice wide depth of field so you can't see the focal point. The way the bridge intersects with the trees at the end, and is masked at the bottom is really nice to look at. The details of the field are all present and correct, and the houses poking out don't spoil it too much. It's got that sense of past great industry, yet now it's deserted (like Ico).

I've just had the first roll of film from my SLR processed and scanned, and I can safely say that none of my pics came out that well.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ReGuRgIt8oR 6 Oct 2004 22:38:54 2,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The poppy was cropped to get rid of say approx 15% on both left/right sides for my first useage, and I must admit I did try to find a rounder one but in the setting of a motorway verge I gave up and took this as my best option. My final useage will probably require to cut-out just the poppy so I will then need a more round specimen.
  • cyk 7 Oct 2004 10:03:53 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The QE2 shot is too blury for my liking, and I don't think theres any need for it to be in black and white. A few of my QE2 shots :)

I would have also cropped the poppy to just around the poppy itself, to remove the pink thing on the left. Theres also quite a bit of noise in that shot. Also, you might want to think about resizing those images :) Photography isn't really about levels of zoom, its more about nice looking images, or at least it is for me :)
  • sam_spade 21 Dec 2004 11:16:54 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Disnae work
  • bainbrge 21 Dec 2004 11:42:49 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    it looks a bit obviously photoshopped with an orange gradient. I might be wrong tho.
  • cyk 21 Dec 2004 16:43:21 306 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bainbrge wrote:
    it looks a bit obviously photoshopped with an orange gradient. I might be wrong tho.

It could be a Cokin gradual filter attached onto the lens and not at all photoshopped. Great picture.
  • mal 21 Dec 2004 17:21:52 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm. How would you get a shot like that? It doesn't look like snow on the ground, so it must just be pale vegetation that's washed out. However, the stag looks underexposed, since in reality you should be able to see the top side of the stag (not just its silhouette) as the sun's clearly just above the frame. Or is there enough range of brightness (I forget the proper word) that you could actually get that picture without photoshopping? I suppose that if the filter was a bit pinky, it could turn green foliage to grey.

• mal 21 Dec 2004 22:05:04 22,332 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, looks like sun's rays indicating the sun is just above the frame, or maybe those lines are just some odd effect of the lens.

• unwashed! 29 Dec 2004 20:30:00 272 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, on Monday I bought a 300D from Jacobs for £600. Once I get my £100 back from Canon then it'll be very nice!!!

Anyway, took it out for the first time today, here's some efforts...

All of these were taken today in Reddish Vale Country Park. I've cropped the images, and then used Adobe Elements 'Save for web...' function. Anyway, here goes! An angry duck, some detail from a viaduct crossing the park and a friendly horse.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the camera. I'm now more determined than ever to replace my digi-compact with the Canon A85.
  • sam_spade 29 Dec 2004 21:51:15 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wahey! They all float down here!
  • Page

of 484 First / Last