• ruttyboy 6 Jul 2004 12:59:22 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /thinks about an EG photo contest...
  • squaylor 6 Jul 2004 13:09:27 3,737 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cyberdude wrote:
    mmm fried kitty with onion rings.........

Cd
    /cancels Mealdeal...
  • lost_soul 6 Jul 2004 13:18:21 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    The rental car we were "upgraded to" in Canada. Now that's pimptastic!
    Pah!

Call that a car? Real men drive one of these in Canada!
  • ruttyboy 6 Jul 2004 14:25:01 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry wrote:

Stormy weather - Returning from Windemere hitting some choppy weather. I appear to be driving KITT.
    LOL!

Dovedale at Dusk - A beautiful part of Derbyshire. My camera tends to overdo green, but it still looks rather nice and can be easily photochopped.
    Bewwwtiful :)

Saddleworth Moor - Walking in the hills on a short five mile ramble.

Marsden - in West Yorkshire. Somewhere I know rather well. This is also the location for the TV show Where The Heart Is.
    /homesick
  • Deleted user 7 July 2004 14:16:45
    A purdy little kitty.
  • ruttyboy 7 Jul 2004 14:20:04 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    Well, back at work now and I've uploaded some more pics.

I took some pictures of the city where I work (which is my neighbouring city, about 25 kms from where I live) on my food break. Quite low-res, just to give you an idea of how it looks like here.

I also added some pics to my summer directory. I am particularly fond of this one, I like the way you see most of the sky only in the reflection...
    Err, Hyoush, about that town where you work... I mean, where are all the cars? There's less traffic than Driv3r!
  • ruttyboy 7 Jul 2004 14:28:05 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow Hy, that midsummer2 is stunning! I'm not messing about. Do you have a higher res version of it you could send me, I need a new wallpaper and I think I just found it :)
  • ruttyboy 7 Jul 2004 14:38:50 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:
    Wow Hy, that midsummer2 is stunning! I'm not messing about. Do you have a higher res version of it you could send me, I need a new wallpaper and I think I just found it :)
    Well, I only took it in 1024x768, 180 dpi sadly... Memory card restricted to the measly 32 megs. Here you go anyway ;_;
    Thankyou :) My desktop is only 1024 anyway so it doesn't matter for me, shame for you though :(

Does anyone have any idea what the equivalent MPixel count is to say an ISO 200 film?
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 7 Jul 2004 21:24:28 6,170 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IIRC 8 Megapixels gives you comparable quality to 35mm film, i don't think the speed should make any difference.
  • bainbrge 7 Jul 2004 21:29:38 1,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't different ISO have more or less "grainyness"?

Even 8M pixels might be pushing it when comparing to good 35mm. You can blow up 35mm to ungodly sizes without running out of detail. Incidentally, has anyone tried blowing up their shots and having them printed for wall hanging purposes? I'm thinking 50-150cm wide, perhaps printed onto some sort of laminate?
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 7 Jul 2004 21:36:14 2,553 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've printed A3 size from a 6mp (3008 x 2000) image and it looked fine.

In work we've printed professionaly taken images (13mp camera iirc) onto Agfa film with an image size of 1.2m x 1.5m. This image is then repeated to make the final print 1.2m x 49m which then has a fade/scratch resistant wear layer laminated over it. The image quality is truly excellent.
  • Angel_Treats 7 Jul 2004 22:27:37 11,072 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your posture is really bad Hyoushi...

^_^
  • salamando 7 Jul 2004 22:32:32 215 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hyoushi wrote:
    Just added this to mess with the Ghibli fans. Me on the right of course.

And don't say I have a bad posture, I'm trying to imitate the robot!
    Well you're certainly making this Ghibli fan envious! I'd love to visit the Ghibli museum =)
  • ruttyboy 7 Jul 2004 23:25:23 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    bainbrge wrote:
    Don't different ISO have more or less "grainyness"?

I may be wrong, but the ISO isn't the same as megapixel. The ISO rating refers to the speed of the film, or how much light it needs and for what length of time it needs to be exposed. Low ISO (100/200) could look a bit underexposed when pics have been taken in lower light conditions.

Smarter digicams than mine have a pseudo ISO switch, which lets your camera pretend it's got different speed film in.
    I know what speed is and can see what you are saying but speed is defined by the grain size of the film. The bigger the grain is, the less you can fit in the frame so each grain is equivalent to a pixel.
  • Khanivor 7 Jul 2004 23:36:15 39,893 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I feel I can't reist posting some pics now

Starting with some of my cat the lovelyZippy

Here's a shot I took from the DART station by my frineds place in Dublin

Here's one of my mum's churches

A pic of a flower - who says I'm a wuss?

And here are a few more photos, taken from my kitchen window.

Edited by Khanivor at 22:37:28 07-07-2004
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 7 Jul 2004 23:50:16 6,170 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I'm no photography expert, but i would say thats rather perfectly composed.
  • Khanivor 8 Jul 2004 00:08:26 39,893 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloody lucky more like. I was taking pictures of the flower when Mr. Bee was kind enough to land and pose for me. But thanks anyway!
  • Deleted user 8 July 2004 00:11:21
    quote]I know what speed is and can see what you are saying but speed is defined by the grain size of the film. The bigger the grain is, the less you can fit in the frame so each grain is equivalent to a pixel.
    iso settings on a digital relate to the sensitivity of the ccd. increase the sensitivity and you increase the electronic noise(appears mostly as dark blue specks) in the image due to stray light reflecting between individual elements in the ccd itself. my fuji f601 will go up to an iso equivalent of 1600 but only at 1 megapixel. that is because it only uses every second pixel to record in an effort to minimise stray light picked up. any grainyness in a more likey from the postprocessing done on camera or the actual psyical size and arrangment of the indivial pixel elements rather than anything to do with the iso rating.

frankly its a little difficult to equate the grain size of a traditional film to pixels on a digital ccd. smaller grain may mean much finer detail but size is only really limited by the quality of the camera lens taking the image and the quality of the equipment used to print the image.
  • ruttyboy 8 Jul 2004 00:18:26 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DiscoStu wrote:
    frankly its a little difficult to equate the grain size of a traditional film to pixels on a digital ccd. smaller grain may mean much finer detail but size is only really limited by the quality of the camera lens taking the image and the quality of the equipment used to print the image.
    It may be difficult but presumably it can be done. If you mean by 'size' the size of a print then there is no limit to size but just like a digital image the larger you make it the lower the dpi (as it were) and the worse the image looks. I guess what I'm asking is what is the grains per square cm of ISO 200 film. From that you could work it out quite easily.
  • tiddles 8 Jul 2004 00:20:10 3,555 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry if this has been answered/discussed before, but could someone suggest some easy ways to get a gallery of photos up on the web?

My photos are all in iPhoto on an iBook, and I have a broadband account with Pipex, but no web-hosting or webspace or anything like that (in fact that side of things is all a bit mysterious to me).

Any suggestions?
  • Deleted user 8 July 2004 00:24:25
    ruttyboy wrote:
    DiscoStu wrote:
    It may be difficult but presumably it can be done. If you mean by 'size' the size of a print then there is no limit to size but just like a digital image the larger you make it the lower the dpi (as it were) and the worse the image looks. I guess what I'm asking is what is the grains per square cm of ISO 200 film. From that you could work it out quite easily.

ahh i gets ya now :)

tbh i dont want to waste 8euro on some 800iso film, another 8 on some some 50iso, borrow my boss's eos300, take the same picture with both rolls and print them really really large to test it out :)
  • valli 8 Jul 2004 00:26:48 14,114 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DiscoStu wrote:smaller grain may mean much finer detail but size is only really limited by the quality of the camera lens taking the image
    Right, once you reach 4MP the lens quality starts to become very important.

I've seen prints of pictures taken with a 2MP Nikon D1 and a 50mm Nikkor lens that beat the newest compact 6MP cameras.
  • squaylor 8 Jul 2004 09:25:14 3,737 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tiddles wrote:
    Sorry if this has been answered/discussed before, but could someone suggest some easy ways to get a gallery of photos up on the web?

My photos are all in iPhoto on an iBook, and I have a broadband account with Pipex, but no web-hosting or webspace or anything like that (in fact that side of things is all a bit mysterious to me).

Any suggestions?
    Try Photobucket.com, I've got a hosting there. It's free, has a reasaonably large limit, you can password the site or leave it for public viewing. It's pretty good.

Edited by squaylor at 08:25:39 08-07-2004
  • tiddles 8 Jul 2004 10:27:59 3,555 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers squaylor, I'll give that a go!
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jul 2004 19:14:25 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    I'm no photography expert, but i would say thats rather perfectly composed.

Khanivor, that picture is nothing short of stunning. It would be great even without the bee, but that just tops it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jul 2004 19:15:24 35,172 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 21 Jul 2004 21:55:25 6,170 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wooo, my first gallery !! Although its only little, and probably not clever either ^_^
  • valli 2 Aug 2004 12:05:11 14,114 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've finally moved and updated my domain with photos taken by me. Quite a lot of new pics, for example the "clothes" and "cats" folders. The best achievement is in the tech department though: managed to create the whole site around a SQL database (my first, whoo!) which means it's very easy to update the site, even for lazy me.

Hyo, nice DJ shots... and Harry, both your galleries are broken, btw.
  • Lutz 2 Aug 2004 12:06:01 48,854 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hyoushi, are all of these linked to from the main Gametards page?
  • Day 2 Aug 2004 13:38:11 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    I've finally moved and updated my domain with photos taken by me.

Really like the site valli, great piccies too! :)

Edited by Day at 12:42:59 02-08-2004
  • Page

of 482 First / Last