The Photo Gallery Page 484

• Page

of 484 First / Last

Next
  • Maturin 16 Jun 2014 14:56:35 3,094 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very nice Ben. I particularly like Looking Back for its golden colours.
  • henro_ben 16 Jun 2014 16:08:43 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Last one, basically the same as the first one I posted but from the other side - think this one's my fav of the lot.

Clarity
  • Tomo 16 Jun 2014 18:03:03 13,944 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great stuff as usual henro.

It always makes me laugh when you say one of your pictures is worse than the others. I can never tell what is remotely better/worse!
  • henro_ben 16 Jun 2014 23:19:16 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Great stuff as usual henro.

It always makes me laugh when you say one of your pictures is worse than the others. I can never tell what is remotely better/worse!
    Ha! Thanks Tomo.

When I look at my shots I just see a long list of 'if only...' If only I'd raised the camera/taken a step to the left/judged the wave better etc. etc. ;-)
  • Tonka 1 Jul 2014 12:28:23 20,768 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh man...

I'm trying to make a photo book from the photos from our trip to China and there are about 20 gigabytes of jpgs to sort out.

What a nightmare. To make matters worse there isn't enough space on our iMac to put all the images on it and to sort that out I need to go through all the other millions of photos.

I've resorted to upload them straight from the memory card to Google+. Then I let google select highlights from each day (between 200 - 300 photos each day) and then do a quick triage (do I need another cute close up picture of the kids where I can't even make out where they are?)

Hells bells.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Nth 21 Aug 2014 11:06:14 3,121 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just thought I'd blow the cobwebs off this thread to mention my second charity photo book which is now on sale. All shot with Fuji X cameras.

'Artisans'
  • mrpon 1 Sep 2014 11:11:04 29,183 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What are you all using for maintaining your photo libraries? I'm talking specifically about organising, naming, tagging, duplicates etc..

I've just got a mass of folders (on a NAS) from numerous devices, dropbox, icloud, dslr, two kids, wife etc.. I need to optimise this setup.

Ta.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Tomo 1 Sep 2014 13:06:33 13,944 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use good old fashioned Folders in Windows.

But, it's a friggin pain in the arse and I would really love some solution. I basically need an enormous 8 TB NAS drive or something where I can dump the pictures and not thinking about them again. Instead, I have my photos spread across two computers and backed up on 3 different external hard drives. And inevitably there are duplicates of entire folders of photos, and it can be difficult finding old photos when I need to.

It's something I haven't really figured out how to optimise either :/
  • mrpon 1 Sep 2014 13:49:10 29,183 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, sounds familiar. Tagging is important to me as well, I wanna search 'me zipline' and have the photo instantly.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• UncleLou Moderator 1 Sep 2014 14:06:38 35,710 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mrpon Lightroom. It's also all I need for editing.
  • henro_ben 1 Sep 2014 14:12:36 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lightroom for me too. Didn't get it for cataloguing my photos, but it certainly meets all my needs in that regard.
  • Maturin 1 Sep 2014 14:54:32 3,094 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't really do much cataloging. When my photos are imported from the card they are put in a folder that starts with the date and features some information. I tend to add the first initial of my family too if they are featured. So P, K, W for my kids, J for my wife. And each of those folders is in a year folder.

So my folder structure is like this:

/photography/2014/2014_05_15 First Day at Legoland PKJW

As I don't work commercially for any clients that's enough for me. I don't use any of the tagging or cataloguing in Lightroom or Capture One.

All my photos, running to several hundred GB of RAW files sits on a 1TB drive in my PC. They are automatically backed up daily to a 2TB USB3 external drive. I back them up to a NAS too every week or so.

And I have a core of images, favourites of the kids growing up, my mum, my late wife, wedding photos etc. all backed up to more than one cloud service. My favourite "artistic" pictures (such as they are) are on Flickr too. It's not a completely redundant system, but works for me and ensures the very important images are safe. Yes in theory there are 200GB+ of RAW files of all kinds of crap I took learning to do photography that could be lost, but it would be no great loss, all the important images to me are safe.

Edited by Maturin at 14:54:54 01-09-2014
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Sep 2014 15:38:49 1,329 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been enjoying my XF1 but for all the Fujiness of the lens and processing I'm still noticing the limitations of the small sensor way too much. Back to bigger stuff for me.

I know they have big flaws but I can get either the EOS M or the G1X for under 200. Anyone had much experience with either? Not much chance getting a proper sensor anywhere else for even close to that price and unfortunately that's where my budget stops.

The M4/3 stuff seems to be holding its price rather too well for my liking and the cost of decent lenses has to factor in too.

Not going to be doing sports photography and my daughter is a bit older now so no need to have instantaneous focusing. If I go into the deal with realistic expectations will I still be disappointed with either of those two Canons?
  • Tomo 1 Sep 2014 16:09:27 13,944 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Lightroom for me too. Didn't get it for cataloguing my photos, but it certainly meets all my needs in that regard.
    I use Lightroom too, but it's really not ideal if you have two computers. Syncing catalogues between machines isn't even possible AFAIK. and removing from your computer leaves a load of dead images in LR. It's good for initial organising, but less so as a long term solution.
  • Tonka 17 Sep 2014 07:15:14 20,768 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This photo of me taken by my wife is bloody amazing.

It's a single shot mind. Not using rapid fire mechanism. (On the camera)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• henro_ben 3 Oct 2014 13:33:18 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't posted in here for ages! Haven't got much to show but for a few holiday snaps. Had a real problem with flare and it was so damn hot that sensor noise became a real issue.

St. Simeon's Monastery
    Egyptian Sunrise
    Horsing around
    Let there be light..!
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2014 13:37:08 31,560 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are those balloons in Luxor? I did that, it was great. That's Karnak too I think
  • billythekid 3 Oct 2014 13:37:59 11,195 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:

Egyptian Sunrise
    Those pyramids aren't quite looking like what I was lead to believe.
  • henro_ben 3 Oct 2014 13:47:04 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Are those balloons in Luxor? I did that, it was great. That's Karnak too I think
    Well spotted with the balloons! But not so good with Karnak - was actually Edfu temple, although after a while they do all look the same... ;-)

Did Cairo, Luxor and Aswan, was a pretty awesome trip, had been wanting to see Egypt for years.
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2014 13:47:24 31,560 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One from my own holiday

Seattle
  • henro_ben 3 Oct 2014 14:01:34 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    One from my own holiday

Seattle
    Very nice shot, has loads of depth to it, really draws your eye in.
  • TheRealBadabing 6 Oct 2014 02:44:43 1,329 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So all you Fuji X Series guys...it's a bit special isn't it?

Only got a X-A1 so the Trans-X snobs will be snorting but I did have my reasons. Mainly taking photos outdoors in fields means that the "smudging" greens that the grown-up sensor sometimes did could be an issue for me. I also suspected that much of the image quality was due to the Fuji processing, especially on JPEGs. Pretty sure the X-Trans X-M1 would have been just as awesome but it was more expensive.

Been through quite a few systems over the last few years and this is easily my favourite. AF is not quite up to DSLR/Olympus but not far off and importantly the kit lens (16-50) is miles better than any m4/3 or APS-C kit I have ever used. Sharp as I have ever seen, maybe a little too sharp to the extent I have reduced the default setting to -1.

Enough manual controls to keep an enthusiastic amateur satisfied help but overall the camera is just a joy to use. Snappy, accurate and stunning colours.

Only concern I have is that the SR+ mode is so good that I will rarely use PASM. I like making stuff complicated but it is so bloody good even at capturing moving objects I could get seriously lazy.

Managed to grab a free 50-230mm lens too but the kit is so good I'm not sure I need anything after that. Let's face it, buying a new body we have to factor in whatever primes we want into the cost. The 27mm might be nice but do I really need it?

As per my question earlier in the thread, I did get a Canon EOS M kit and it was rubbish. This X-A1 is utterly superb not just in comparison to that but to every other system I have had, including my D90, Tamron 17-50 dream team.

Some pictures will follow when I can stop taking portraits of my daughter...
  • henro_ben 6 Oct 2014 09:34:11 2,220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of new cameras, I had a play with a friends Olympus EM-1 at the weekend. Was really impressed, very nice camera indeed and I'm rather a fan of their 'buttons for everything' approach.

Only thing I didn't like was the fact they've moved the on/off lever from the right hand side to the left, but a small gripe.

The only lens he had was the 12-40mm F2.8 but it felt like a nice lens to use, although quite heavy. Swapped it for my 20mm F1.7 and it was lovely.

Very nice camera, makes my GF1 seem very old fashioned :-(
  • TheRealBadabing 6 Oct 2014 10:26:41 1,329 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not the greatest composition ever but a reasonable example of sharpness etc on the X-A1 here.
  • billythekid 7 Oct 2014 13:35:41 11,195 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm thinking of heading to either Richmond Park or Windsor Great Park next week early one morning to try and take some photos of the deer rutting.
    Can anybody give and advice as to whether they think 200mm on a crop sensor is long enough?
    Or what do you think of teleconverters, I'm a bit unsure as to how much they'll degrade the image.
  • Maturin 7 Oct 2014 13:48:07 3,094 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been there done that with a 200mm on a crop and it was fine.

Problem with teleconverters is the focusing, especially in low light. If you manual focus it's not so much an issue.

Edited by Maturin at 13:48:43 07-10-2014
  • billythekid 7 Oct 2014 13:51:37 11,195 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok cool, I think I'll just stick with the 200mm to start with then. Thanks dude.
  • smoothpete 14 Oct 2014 11:37:05 31,560 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I'm thinking of heading to either Richmond Park or Windsor Great Park next week early one morning to try and take some photos of the deer rutting.
    Can anybody give and advice as to whether they think 200mm on a crop sensor is long enough?
    Or what do you think of teleconverters, I'm a bit unsure as to how much they'll degrade the image.
    You've probably been already but I reckon 200mm is fine, certainly in Richmond park. The deer there didn't give a fuck about anyone when I was there a couple of weeks ago on a bike ride
  • Page

of 484 First / Last

Next