of 484 First / Last

• Tomo 20 May 2014 12:35:19 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow. Nice!
  • Tomo 20 May 2014 12:36:52 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, I photographed a wedding at the weekend. The second one I have ever been to!

Click

Edited by Tomo at 12:37:12 20-05-2014
  • billythekid 20 May 2014 14:22:31 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some fantastic shots there Tomo. I don't know much about wedding photography but I bet they're chuffed with the pics.

Looks like the groom may have had some sort of eyebrow/stag party incident :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 May 2014 14:26:08 35,492 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tomo Great pictures, seriously. Why did I think they look like taken in Sweden? You're in the UK, right?
  • Nth 20 May 2014 16:39:22 3,120 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    So, I photographed a wedding at the weekend. The second one I have ever been to!

Click
    Good stuff, what do you think of Exposure? Have you paid for it or on the free bit?
  • Tomo 20 May 2014 20:15:59 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @billythekid

Think it's a skin condition!

@UncleLou

I'm in UK, wedding was Sussex

@Nth

Really impressed with Exposure. I'm using the free platform at moment, but I think I'd easily pay for it when I need it. Uploading is really straightforward, the ordering of the pictures is great and I love that it auto scales your pictures if the browser is resized. My only concern is how people with slower connections get on downloading lots of enormous images.

Compared to Photocrati, which I currently use for my website, it's beautifully implemented, front end and back end.
  • Nth 23 May 2014 10:38:58 3,120 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It looks nice but I'm already paying for and very happy with Zenfolio, but one to remember.

More from my Artisans charity book project.
  • Tomo 26 May 2014 12:15:45 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, exactly, fair enough. Your site looks pretty boss too

Anyone used Pocketwizards btw? I'm thinking of getting some to replace my slightly fragile YongNuo radio triggers. (Canon shooter btw)
  • billythekid 26 May 2014 13:06:19 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got two Flex and a Mini Pocketwizard. Never fail to fire, have TTL if you need it and work over long range. I've not used any other triggers but these do feel overpriced imo.
    I want another flash but an extra 150 on top is really delaying my purchase.

The little commander thing (can't remember its name) is quite cool though, allows you to adjust power output without having to go over to each flash, change and come back to check the shot.
  • Tomo 26 May 2014 21:33:09 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are they actually useful for TTL? Does TTL really even work with off-camera flash?

You say they are overpriced are you familiar with any of the alternatives? And would you buy them?!
  • Tonka 2 Jun 2014 09:39:41 20,167 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've spent 5 weeks traveling China with my family. Loads of nice pictures BUT getting them off the cameras and on the web is proving a chore I'm not quite ready to tackle.

So instead, a few observations and some curious for you.

Mobile cameras rule the field
    Everywhere people are taking pictures with phones/tablets. It's almost sad. But as I'm living proof of the convenience makes up for the crappy image quality.

Yes, I wish this was taken with my proper camera but at least I can share it. (And I don't think there's a pano function on the real camera)

Mirrorless is the new black
    Used to be that I was surprised that EVERYONE who had a camera had a DSLR. (In hindsight I think most of them were super zoomers tbh). Now you don't see many Jills and Joes with anything but the latest crop of compact mirrorless cameras. Very fashionable.

Serious photographers be serious
    It's like it used to be ten years ago. The ones who have DSLRs lug tripods, multiple lenses and sport old guy vests and hats. Some even have little step ladders. I have a picture of a flock of enthusiasts. Unfortunately it was taken with my GX1 (or maybe the GF1) so it's still tucked away on the SD card.

Software is eating hardware
    Google just released the Lytro-esque lensblur function and its actually rather sweet. Obviously aimed at food bloggers it can be used for some niceish effects in other situations. Another thing that I really like are the photo spheres. They don't all come out alright but viewed on the phone in AR mode (moving the phone alters the view) is surprisingly sweet. They also allow for some fun looking mini worlds

All in all I guess we will see more integration between cameras and phones. The camera is a means to an end and that end is rapidly moving away from a printed picture to something you share on screens. (Not saying I won't make a photo book or three from this trip)

Edited by Tonka at 09:41:19 02-06-2014

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• billythekid 5 Jun 2014 14:58:54 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Are they actually useful for TTL? Does TTL really even work with off-camera flash?

You say they are overpriced are you familiar with any of the alternatives? And would you buy them?!
    I've not used any of the alternatives tbh but I bought the PWs after reading reviews and liking the reliability aspect.

As for TTL, I've only used it a few times when trying to setup a real quick shot and it works pretty well imo.
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2014 15:01:08 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just received my new lens! Bought it from Digitalrev.com, placed the order on Tuesday afternoon and 48hrs later I have it in my hands. Good work from them and DHL!
    Saved 300 on it too!!
  • Maturin 5 Jun 2014 15:56:44 2,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Just received my new lens! Bought it from Digitalrev.com, placed the order on Tuesday afternoon and 48hrs later I have it in my hands. Good work from them and DHL!
    Saved 300 on it too!!
    Did you have to pay import duty?

Edited by Maturin at 15:57:00 05-06-2014
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2014 16:02:40 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, just the price on their website. Nikon 24-70 f2.8 for 1040.

I saved almost 200 on a Fuji x100s a while ago too. I'm pretty sure most of my future purchases will be from these guys.
  • Maturin 5 Jun 2014 16:05:16 2,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's interesting. Did it ship from within the UK or had it come from Hong Kong?
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2014 16:08:33 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Straight from Hong Kong in 48hrs! Pretty pretty good.
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2014 16:21:54 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you planning a purchase then?
  • Maturin 5 Jun 2014 18:52:20 2,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not right now. But I'm a fan of their YouTube channel and do browse the site. I've just been nervous about buying from them - don't want to get stung for import duties.

About the only thing I'm missing for my Fujifilm X-E2 is a wide angle - considering the 14mm or 10-24mm, but both are expensive so am saving my pennies.
  • billythekid 5 Jun 2014 19:23:14 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm pretty sure they'll take care of any import duties if the package does get checked. My lens was marked up as a digital camera to the value of 51 quid. The x100s was something similar iirc.

Their customer service is pretty good, do a web chat thing and get confirmation you won't have to pay any extra for peace of mind.

I was also wary but I thought I'd take the chance based on their youtube popularity and favourable reviews.
    And from personal experience I cannot fault them, obviously only based on two orders. I will definitely be using them again though.
  • Tomo 6 Jun 2014 00:07:14 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm... that is interesting. I've thought about buying from them too, but import duty and warranty worries are what's stopping me. A much reduced X100S is very tempting, but if it died within a year, I'd feel pretty glum :/
  • Nth 6 Jun 2014 13:39:42 3,120 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't discount the original X100 Tomo, after updates it's a fantastic camera with no X-Trans related issues. AF is plenty fast enough for me. Used ones are 400 or under now. Low light performance is astonishing, I've shot 95% of my Artisans project using it.
  • Tomo 11 Jun 2014 09:09:36 13,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nth

So, in a wave of extravagance, I bought a a Mint- X100 for 400 notes last night (while lying in bed, on my mobile phone... God damn modern technology), with a 6 month warranty included. I figured a 400-450 saving was not to be sniffed at!

Now I'm on the look out for any must-have accessories. I probably want a case and while I'll pay the 70 for the Fuji case, I was wondering if there are any worthwhile alternatives? Any other accessories worth buying: thumb grip? Lens hood?
  • Nth 11 Jun 2014 09:33:32 3,120 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo Essentials are at least 2 extra third party batteries, the ExPro ones on Amazon for 6 are fine. I added an ebay 12 thumbs-up style grip, I find it nicer to hold like that. Get a third party lens hood and adaptor (JJC I think is the make), and a 1 pinch-cap lens cap as you can't use the Fuji cap with the hood on. Ideally you want a 95mb/s SD card too to speed the whole thing up. I don't use a case any more, but did have a half-case style one which helps with grip, I'd try it before you get one. Oh and the most crucial thing of all is to check it's firmware is current (2.1 I think). Ideally your serial number will start with a 2 to ensure there won't be any sticky aperture blade issues.

Enjoy it :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BF04B8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002V3CDHM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261430583390?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (add tiny bit of black tape to ensure solid fit)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-LH-JX100-Adapter-Fujifilm-Finepix/dp/B005BRQHWM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402477883&sr=1-2&keywords=x100+lens+hood

Edited by Nth at 10:11:31 11-06-2014
  • Edge_san 11 Jun 2014 19:47:44 86 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Hmm... that is interesting. I've thought about buying from them too, but import duty and warranty worries are what's stopping me. A much reduced X100S is very tempting, but if it died within a year, I'd feel pretty glum :/
    I purchased my DSLR from Digitalrev late last year and had no problems with import tax. My brother-in-law wasn't quite as lucky when he bought his. So he sent an e-mail to Digitalrev and I can't remember if they refunded him the tax or if he sent them the details and they paid it; either way, they took care of it.

Re. the warranty, IIRC I think they have their own worldwide warranty.

Hope that helps you with your purchase.
  • henro_ben 16 Jun 2014 10:14:48 2,215 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been a while since I've posted anything - mainly because I haven't taken any photos for MONTHS :-(

But was in Bude the other weekend for surfing / stag do and managed to catch a sunset. Much the same as normal... but this time with rocks instead of bits of tree ;-)

Northcott Mouth Beach
  • henro_ben 16 Jun 2014 13:33:04 2,215 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couple more from the weekend

Looking Back

Ripples
  • billythekid 16 Jun 2014 13:59:00 11,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're really good, as always! :)

Although in Ripples there's a blob in the sky which now I've seen it is the thing that grabs my eye!
  • henro_ben 16 Jun 2014 14:14:19 2,215 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    They're really good, as always! :)

Although in Ripples there's a blob in the sky which now I've seen it is the thing that grabs my eye!
    Bugger.

Dirt spot on the sensor, which I managed to completely miss! Serves me right for rushing ;-)

One more, composition not brilliant but pretty colours!

Cornish Skies
  • skuzzbag 16 Jun 2014 14:37:31 5,638 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    Don't discount the original X100 Tomo, after updates it's a fantastic camera with no X-Trans related issues. AF is plenty fast enough for me. Used ones are 400 or under now. Low light performance is astonishing, I've shot 95% of my Artisans project using it.
    What are the x trans issues you've got me worried now :(

I have noticed that sometimes at 100% distant small detailed things can look kind of feathery. But that s 100% and not something I'm concerned about.
  • Page

of 484 First / Last