The Photo Gallery Page 475

• Page

of 484 First / Last

• Nth 30 Jan 2013 11:31:40 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Yeah, has not been a good couple of weeks. Still, will get over it eventually I'm sure and walking along the coast always makes me feel happier and calmer.

I went for Manfrotto 190x PROB in the end. Didn't want to spend too much as they just get knackered by the saltwater.

Can't remember how low this one goes but it's pretty low, the legs will lock at almost horizontal & you can swing the centre column out to horizontal as well.

Like the look of the Adrian but I like having a heavier tripod for land/seascapes - it's a bugger to carry about but you'll be thankful when it's windy ;-)
    I've decided to look at what the others are using on the workshop, also trying to resist another ultra wide lens too.
  • henro_ben 30 Jan 2013 11:38:08 2,211 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nth wrote:

I've decided to look at what the others are using on the workshop, also trying to resist another ultra wide lens too.
    Good idea, will also give you a chance to try out some as well.

Advice I was given by lots of 'togs who shoot near the sea was to buy a good quality head and a cheap(ish) tripod, then just replace the tripod when the legs get knackered.
  • Nth 30 Jan 2013 20:57:16 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Found a huge Manfrotto tripod at work so I'll borrow that for the workshop. Your idea sounds wise though on the head.
  • henro_ben 31 Jan 2013 09:38:26 2,211 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unpacked the new tripod last night, legs are fine (same as my last one), head is a bit crappy but will do for the short term. Will have to get a better one in due course.
  • Leolian 3 Feb 2013 12:09:06 1,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Went out on a trial shoot with my friend's old DSLR round Leeds castle last night. Really like this shot. We were walking back to the car when we came across the lights. Canon EOS 400d.

Edited by Leolian at 16:10:43 03-02-2013
  • Leolian 3 Feb 2013 16:12:19 1,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Link to bigger shot

I'm new to photography so would love some feedback.
  • Nth 3 Feb 2013 16:29:32 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The lights are really cool, what's the red light at the end?

Great shot.
  • Leolian 3 Feb 2013 16:48:25 1,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's just a sodium lamp but it's on a 30s exposure so the colours came out really vibrant.
  • Tonka 3 Feb 2013 20:04:34 20,025 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Im gay for the blue hour so I love the shot by default.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Leolian 3 Feb 2013 20:18:40 1,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blue hour?
  • Leolian 3 Feb 2013 21:34:08 1,076 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Taken about 45 degrees to the left of the other photo.
  • Nth 9 Feb 2013 21:19:41 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great landscape workshop today, apart from the bit when one of the others spilt their tea on my D5100. And my LX3. And my iPhone. And my camera bag. And my tripod. And my legs.

iPhone now doesn't make any sounds, great! It's now in a bag of rice on the radiator but I'm not hopeful. She'll be getting a bill! Luckily everything else is fine.
  • PrivateFloyd 9 Feb 2013 21:41:52 4,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quiet Contemplation

Took this of Max the other day.

Goat is hungry.....

• alexm 10 Feb 2013 03:15:43 247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93127124@N08/8460527294/in/photostream/lightbox/

HK earlier in the week with the latest Sony Cybershot.

For a point and shoot just over the 200 mark, it's an incredible piece of kit - especially the zoom.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a DSLR (or Digital with a bigger lens) to have alongside it if I want something a bit more comprehensive. I get the impression if I forked out 300 for one of the lower-end Nikon DSLRs I wouldn't see big enough improvements to justify it. I'm definitely a beginner so also don't really want to spend on camera features I won't be able to take advantage of.

Cheers
  • mal 10 Feb 2013 03:50:15 22,341 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's pretty damn good dynamic range there - pretty sure if I shot into the sun with my creaky old D70 I'd just get a big splodge in the middle of the image. Granted, it's practically an antique, but I didn't realise things had moved on that far.

In terms of Nikons, as far as I can tell, image quality on them is pretty much the same until you start looking at stuff like the new D600, and spending well over a grand before even spending anytnhing on lenses.

That's another thing - you won't be getting anything like the zoom range of your compact without seriously compromising on max aperture and distortion. Bigger sensors means much bigger, more complex glass.

But what you do get is a much more responsive camera capable of beautiful intimate shots and giving you much more creative control when taking landscapes, like your photo there.

So in short, you won't be getting something more comprehensive for your money. As for how much you'll need to spend, it depends on exactly what sort of think you want to shoot, and when it comes to recommending a particular model, I'm probably not the next person to contribute, given how long I've been out of the market for anything new.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• alexm 10 Feb 2013 17:18:27 247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks Mal,

I didn't really explain myself very well when I said 'comprehensive' - I just want something with a more subtle sensor which is probably the main downside of the Sony Cybershot.

As the Sony Cybershot pretty much has zoom covered, I'm not bothered about losing out on this with something to have alongside it. The options seem a bit daunting though price-wise, I was hoping something like the Nikon D5100 mark (420 on Amazon - originally priced around the 800 mark) would be a step-up, but would hate to splash out on something like that and then not be able to see a decent improvement (after getting used to the manual settings)on the auto Cybershot pics.
  • Nth 10 Feb 2013 21:55:08 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Silhouette from yesterday http://timallenphoto.co.uk/pixelpost/?showimage=457
  • guts 10 Feb 2013 22:10:06 1,690 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I should hopefully be able to start putting some pics in here soon. I am junking my old jalopy in the next few days and should get enough for a bridge camera. I also would love a dslr but I am very much a skint hobby photographer. Need the zoom you get with a bridge as a lot of the stuff I try to capture is at brands hatch and the action is too far away for a standard point and shoot.
    Just one bit of advice if you will please... I know a bridge isn't as good as a dslr when it comes to manual settings and they don't have interchangeable lenses, filters etc but I would love to join a camera club. Is anyone here part of a club and is there any sort of camera snobbery when it comes to kit etc. I don't want to be the new kid at school that hasn't got the right tie yet.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• skuzzbag 10 Feb 2013 22:41:43 5,637 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    alexm wrote:
    Thanks Mal,

I didn't really explain myself very well when I said 'comprehensive' - I just want something with a more subtle sensor which is probably the main downside of the Sony Cybershot.

As the Sony Cybershot pretty much has zoom covered, I'm not bothered about losing out on this with something to have alongside it. The options seem a bit daunting though price-wise, I was hoping something like the Nikon D5100 mark (420 on Amazon - originally priced around the 800 mark) would be a step-up, but would hate to splash out on something like that and then not be able to see a decent improvement (after getting used to the manual settings)on the auto Cybershot pics.
    To see a real huge difference between a good compact and a DSLR then you might have to think about prime lenses or a good quality short range zoom.

For example the Tamron 18-270 zoom lens won't look as good as your compact and costs 330. It's a very wide ranging zoom and doesn't use expensive glass so the results are pretty poor when you compare it to something like a decent mid range zoom with expensive glass (the Canon 17-55 - I haven't tried any Nikon).

However both Nikon and Canon have cheap 50mm prime lenses (80) that will produce photos better than what your compact can even on an older cheap 2nd hand body.

You need to think about what kind of photos you want to take with the DSLR and purchase a body and lens geared towards that, and arguably gear the money towards the lens rather than the body.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2013 07:25:26 20,025 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nth Nice!

• Tonka 11 Feb 2013 07:26:19 20,025 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Leolian wrote:
    Blue hour?
    The hour (or so) after sunset rather than the one before. The sky is still lit but there is no cheap ass looking sun Hollywooding up your shots.

• alexm 11 Feb 2013 14:06:36 247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @skuzzbag Cheers, I'm thinking of the Nikon D5100 or D5200 - although there's a 220 price difference - which both come with 15mm-55mm lens kits. The main difference seems to be 16 vs 24 megapixels but I'm not sure how much this matters once you're that high and dealing with DSLRs not digital.
  • TheRealBadabing 11 Feb 2013 15:41:24 1,283 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd go for the 5100 and save some money towards a lens like the 35mm. The 16mp sensor is not just "good enough", it's one of the best from the last few years. Also means you will have smaller files to deal with.
  • PhoenixFlames 11 Feb 2013 17:50:40 8,899 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Posted in the for sale, but thought you guys might be interested:

I'm considering selling my DSLR and camera gear as I'm not getting a great deal of use out of it and I can get away with something more compact for the shots I take at work.

This is all boxed and in excellent condition:

Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens
    Official battery grip
    Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens
    Lowepro Pro Runner 300AW Photo Backpack

A few other odds and sods including a tripod worth about 20, a Lastolite grey/white card, a third party shutter release cable and a spare battery that cost 35.

PM me if you're interested.

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 17:58:57 11-02-2013

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Nth 11 Feb 2013 19:14:47 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Another from Saturday, bit of minimalism for you.
  • Nth 11 Feb 2013 19:17:02 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only issue I've had with my D5100 is that the focussing screen is a bit pissed which is apparently quite common. The extra for the D5200 doesn't seem worth it to me, as others said, get the 35mm f1.8 which is superb for about 140. The 18-55 VR kit lens is pretty average, I replaced mine with the mighty Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for 200.

If you want to spend less you can pick up a lightly used D3100 for under 200 on ebay now.

Edited by Nth at 19:18:50 11-02-2013
  • Nth 13 Feb 2013 10:02:47 3,119 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lightroom 4 is 67.99 on Amazon today, go get!
  • Zomoniac 13 Feb 2013 11:11:39 7,805 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent! Thanks Nth.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Feb 2013 11:40:45 1,283 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK so it's never going to give amazing dynamic range or depth of field but I've been pleasantly surprised by what my phone can do:
    Galaxy S2
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2013 12:08:27 35,431 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    Another from Saturday, bit of minimalism for you.
    Wow. Damn nice.
  • Page

of 484 First / Last