The Photo Gallery Page 5

• Page

of 484 First / Last

• AnotherMartin 30 Dec 2004 01:52:25 6,229 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got loads of photos to sort out but this thread has made me at least sort some of them. Here's a selection of some of the better ones.

The first few are from an old crappy 35mm camera and the photo's were put on to CD by Kodak. The middle lot are from my now lost Optio S4 and the newer ones are from the S5i I replaced it with.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2004 02:30:19
    Post deleted
  • unwashed! 30 Dec 2004 09:27:04 272 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    Great stuff unwashed. Didn't realise that Reddish Vale was a country park, thought it was just a place Brinni girls went to get pregnant. :)

Unfortunately it is fecking scruffy. But that means I have no idea what's gone on!!! \o/ :D
  • unwashed! 30 Dec 2004 09:35:56 272 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Nice! I've just seen my dad's new 300D - it's a very nice camera. Nothing really to put between it and the D70.

As a starter SLR I don't think you can go far wrong, and the lens that comes in the kit is excellent.

Here are a few pics I took just before Christmas while out and about in Sussex, quite pleased with some of them. Haven't had the chance to get out and use my new telephoto zoom outdoors, but it's great for portraits, that much I've established. :)

I think I need to read the manual and learn to use the "creative zone" settings...

Incidentally, I hate to say it, but Safari won't resize photos so it'd be great if people could resize their pics before posting them... :(

Heh! Sorry 'bout that! They started out as 3072 by 2048... :D
  • cyk 30 Dec 2004 14:13:50 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got some extension tubes for xmas, they let me use any lens as a macro lens. Time for a cliché :D
  • reflux 30 Dec 2004 20:44:38 1,804 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Joining in. As stated in another thread I'm not also part of the Eurogamer DSLR-owner-club (bestest club this side of the 10' meters club). The shots below are from my parents place where I spent christmas. These were the first pictures I took with the camera, a Pentax *istDS with the standard kit lens (18-55mm/3,5-5,6). I still haven't opened the manual though and my prior experience with SLRs is VERY limited. Expect more and hopefully better pictures in the future :)

OH! Maybe I should mention that I won a "picture of the day"-thingie over at Imagine Resource. Mine is the elephant one. Don't expect to win any of the prizes, but I'm still happy considering how good some of the other photos are.

Anyways, on to my first DSLR snaps.

Moms and dads guest house, where my sis and her family stayed.
    Viola, my niece. 4 years old, packed with attitude and cravings for dolls :)
    Mira, teh bestest cat, marking her territory.
    My dad and Mira.
    Mira hides in the bathroom, she isn't too found of guests. ISO 800.
    Guarding the christmas tree. CRappy shot but I liked the design of the little figure. ISO 800.

Edited by reflux at 20:45:15 30-12-2004
  • cyk 30 Dec 2004 20:57:17 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That elephant picture is great, congrats on winning.
  • mal 8 Feb 2005 20:17:54 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not only is that panorama not 56k friendly, but it's not 'your server' friendly. Ah well.

Some pretty good pics from the park though. Despite the drab weather, a couple of the landscapes are pretty good. And 'picture taken along a wall' *always* works ;)

If you want a suggestion, it might be worth playing around a bit with the centre of focus, which is the statues in most cases. Especially with fairly blob-like ones, it's worth offsetting them slightly. The seated figure (target 4) works I reckon because the object's own centre is not in its middle, so a conventional framing works well. That's my theory, at least.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• UncleLou Moderator 8 Feb 2005 20:20:26 35,605 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Lovely panorama there! Here are a few I took at the weekend on the ice:

Hut in the snow - Mad Canadian woman jogging (not because it's good, but because she has a lovely bum) - Speed skater - Mad day on the ice - Another skater (still working on my slow shutter panning technique)

Edited by otto at 20:17:34 08-02-2005

Like the hut in the snow a lot, but only in aRGB.

Sorry, I won't start again. ;)
  • mal 8 Feb 2005 20:21:57 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Another skater (still working on my slow shutter panning technique)
    In terms of panning in sync with the subject, that's terrific. My only question: did you mean to make it look like he was going supersonic?

Edited by mal at 20:22:36 08-02-2005

• mal 8 Feb 2005 20:49:43 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you were going for the traditional composition, with the skater on the right and movement going towards the center, then I'm not sure you'd want the shadow going the other way. It's a nice feature, and it might help to balance the shot up.

Just try cropping a bit from the right hand side, and maybe a bit from the top and bottom so it doesn't end up too square (thereby looking cropped). Having just done that, I'm undecided on the shadow to be honest - see what you reckon.

• magicpanda 8 Feb 2005 21:06:29 13,370 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great thread! I have some pictures ill post (if i can find them) not because of any technical merit but becuase the idea was fantasic and the pics are quite interesting to look at

My girlfriend froze a big bunch of flowers in block of ice and took close ups in bright sunshine of it all melting. It looked amazing but my little sony digi camera could not do it justice.

Edited by Magic Panda at 21:06:50 08-02-2005
  • OllyJ 9 Feb 2005 09:30:58 3,281 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a basic site for photos, not updated it in quite some time so there are quite a few that really need to be taken off. It's all photoshopped stuff....

I'm pretty new to photgraphy/photoshop but really want to get good results, I doubt i'll update it until I have something good to show, looking at the galleries posted up here this isn't so great, some of you guys are really talented so...well done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/louise.johnson6/site/gallery.htm

Edited by OllyJ at 09:31:41 09-02-2005

Edited by OllyJ at 09:32:21 09-02-2005
  • The-Storm 9 Feb 2005 13:37:11 327 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    Well while the photo site pimpage is going on, may I point you at my girlfriend's site which I designed BTW. I've just uploaded some of the pictures she took when we were in Sri Lanka.

Superb site..both design and content.
    Can you give me some tips on how to do a web site
    design like that?

• cyk 9 Feb 2005 14:34:18 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    Well while the photo site pimpage is going on, may I point you at my girlfriend's site which I designed BTW. I've just uploaded some of the pictures she took when we were in Sri Lanka.

That is a fantastic site. Your girlfriend is very talented indeed. Well, you both are :) But her images are fantastic.
  • GrandTheftApu 9 Feb 2005 14:49:28 6,119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Storm wrote:
    GrandTheftApu wrote:

Superb site..both design and content.
    Can you give me some tips on how to do a web site
    design like that?

Erm well, I used photoshop to layout the site then coded it in Dreamweaver using tables to control the layout. The scrollable thumbnails are in a seperate document loaded into an iframe. Although you can always look at the source code to see what's what.
  • The-Storm 9 Feb 2005 14:57:12 327 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Erm well, I used photoshop to layout the site then coded it in Dreamweaver using tables to control the layout. The scrollable thumbnails are in a seperate document loaded into an iframe. Although you can always look at the source code to see what's what.

Gosh i don't know how to do any of that!
    Where do i start?
  • cyk 9 Feb 2005 15:15:13 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Storm wrote:

Where do i start?

First, ignore the info about tables and iframes and look at CSS/XHTML :D

Edited by cyk at 15:15:26 09-02-2005
  • GrandTheftApu 9 Feb 2005 15:24:15 6,119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cyk wrote:
    The Storm wrote:

Where do i start?

First, ignore the info about tables and iframes and look at CSS/XHTML :D

Edited by cyk at 15:15:26 09-02-2005

... and add on some hours to try and get it looking the same across a range of browsers :p
    Seriously though, I will have to try and rework it in css/xhtml when I get time.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2005 15:34:46
    GTA, your girlfriend's pictures are fantastic. I don't know where to start... Pretty much all the pictures with people are fantastic, you can see she's asking them politely and they can't turn her down. She's got a very good eye for details, like the scribbled bamboo trees, grafittis, animals, dolls. Great use of colour in some of the shots too. Again, bloody good stuff!
  • GrandTheftApu 9 Feb 2005 15:38:42 6,119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whew, thanks for the feedback everyone I'll pass it on to the better half tonight. I'm sure she'll be chuffed as she's convinced nobody ever visits her site.
  • pjmaybe 9 Feb 2005 15:47:24 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep GTA, what everyone else said - goes double here. Photographing people is bloody hard, specially to that quality so kudos to her.

Liked your sculpture park pics too Rhy, I really must dig out the old Minolta and do a few more photees methinks.

Peej
  • cyk 9 Feb 2005 15:55:31 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    Whew, thanks for the feedback everyone I'll pass it on to the better half tonight. I'm sure she'll be chuffed as she's convinced nobody ever visits her site.

Thats really hard to believe given the quality. They are fantastic. If you/she doesn't mind I can do a bit of pimping on some other photography forums of her site. They're the kind of people shots I'd love to be able to take.
  • GrandTheftApu 9 Feb 2005 16:07:51 6,119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cyk wrote:
    GrandTheftApu wrote:

Thats really hard to believe given the quality. They are fantastic. If you/she doesn't mind I can do a bit of pimping on some other photography forums of her site. They're the kind of people shots I'd love to be able to take.

Which forums do you visit? My gf has been lurking on the photo.net forums, working up the courage to submit some work for critique.
  • sam_spade 9 Feb 2005 17:09:41 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went through some of my photos, it's amazing when you go back how you can just go, shit, shit, shit, shit, when your faced with making a snap decision on whether you think a photo is good enough.

Anyway, I stuck them in categories.

Here

It's not really well designed so you have to click back and forth between pages.
  • mal 9 Feb 2005 17:45:12 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blimey. I don't know how many you chucked, but I really like the composition on almost all of those shots. Especially on the buildings section.

It is a bit of a pain switching between categories though, since if you've just used the 'next' button to go through all the photos, you have to press 'back' loads.

• reflux 9 Feb 2005 18:12:54 1,804 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GTA, wow. REALLY nice shots there :o
    She should pimp her pics to all the Photo of the Day-sites, they generate quite much traffic.

Take a look at the list on the bottom right here and tell her to submit a few.

• cyk 9 Feb 2005 20:26:32 306 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    cyk wrote:
    GrandTheftApu wrote:

Which forums do you visit? My gf has been lurking on the photo.net forums, working up the courage to submit some work for critique.

Photo.net can be intimidating. She needs to get something like a Deviant Art account setup as theres so many random people there who are amazing and who are rubbish, so you're bound to get a few comments at least. Other than that, OcUK Forums has a nice photography section with monthly competitions too that are very handy for learning / growing from. Theres a handful of really talented people on there around the same level and its a really nice place to get advice. I owe everything I've learnt in photography over the past 2 years to that place. Theres also, The Digital Darkroom which has a lot of ex-OcUK members oddly enough. Then theres a rather small photography section on a web design forum I visit. Small, but plenty of people who appreciated good design/photography.
  • unwashed! 20 Feb 2005 10:58:27 272 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some photo's from the recent skiing trip all taken on a Canon Powershot A85. Some of the scenery stuff is very nice (IMHO). There's a couple of arty shot's that aren't in there, I need to put them up in a seperate album...
  • unwashed! 20 Feb 2005 15:48:44 272 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm, I like that one, it was a bit lucky I got it actually. I was going to ski down to the village on the last day, but my right foot/ankle/leg had gone completely because that boot has become rather ill fitting. So anyway I took the easy way down to the top of the gondola. As I was having a bit of a breather part way down I saw the view and just had to get it! :D

I like the shuttered house and dove cot, you've done really well there. You must have used a neutral density filter to be able to use a reasonably open aperture and low-ish speed? (If you check mine photo's the apertures as far down as it will go (f8) and speeds as quick as poss. 1/2000th of a second.)
  • Page

of 484 First / Last