Condiment Of Choice Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • mal 25 Jul 2012 23:53:59 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The habanero tabasco is the mildest stuff I've got. I've just finished a bottle of Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce and a little while a go a bottle of Walkerswood Jonkanoo, so all I've left is a bottle of Chill Pepper Pete's Naga Red-Head Hunter Sauce I've inherited, which is certainly an experience.

I do need to go sauce shopping though. I think I'll be giving DM's sauce recipe a try, although I may need to look for a way to spice it up a bit.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2012 00:16:04 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got a few Encona bits in my cupboard, and they're horrible. They have no taste. It's heat for the sake of heat, overwhelming every other flavour. Pure bargain-basement condiments.

Each to their own though. They just taste really artificial to me (which isn't surprising, looking at the list of ingredients in them).

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:18:58 26-07-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2012 00:17:32 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I do need to go sauce shopping though. I think I'll be giving DM's sauce recipe a try, although I may need to look for a way to spice it up a bit.
    It's very nice.

If you want to add some extra heat, try adding some finely chopped chillis (I tend to use Lazy Chilli for that, as it saves time).

If you want to use it as a stirfry sauce, then this is what I generally do:

350g large/king prawns (pre-cooked, though if you want to use raw just use common sense and elongate step 1 until the prawns are pink)
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 small tin of water chestnuts (sliced)
    1 small tin bamboo shoots
    Sesame Oil
    500g Medium Egg Noodles

Fry the prawns and garlic in the sesame oil on a high heat for about 1-2 minutes. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer.

Meanwhile, put the noddles in a pan of boiling water.

Add the lime juice, soy sauce and sweet chilli (for this quantity I would typically use about 3-4 tbsps sweet chilli, 1-2 of soy sauce, and the juice and zest of one lime, though obviously you can adjust to your own taste. But be sure that you get the sourness of the lime coming through). At the same time, drain the noodles.

Continue to simmer the prawns on a very low heat (or even take off the heat altogether) to allow the shellfish to absorb the flavours of the sauce.

Add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and the noodles (adding a small amount of the noodle cooking water in case you feel you want more sauce).

Simmer for another 2-3 minutes on a low heat (keep a careful eye on the prawns, as they tend to shrink if they're overcooked).

Mix well, and serve with a generous garnish of freshly chopped coriander.

It works equally well with chicken and to lesser degree Pork, though I wouldn't recommend it with lamb or beef.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:30:49 26-07-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2012 00:32:37 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alternatively, you could marinate the prawns in the pre-prepared sauce in advance, then strain (retaining the sauce) and use the strained marinade as your sauce in step 3.

• mal 26 Jul 2012 00:37:24 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Each to their own though. They just taste really artificial to me (which isn't surprising, looking at the list of ingredients in them).
    You surprise me, especially after recommending a sweet chilli based recipe. Sweet chilli is my guiltiest guilty pleasure (which is as it should be I guess, as all condiments should be at least a little naughty).

The Chilli Pepper Pete's sauce is close to being heat for heat's sake for me, but it's got just enough flavour to be worth it. And to be honest I should probably be using it in my curries, not to go with my fish on my plate.

Re Encona ingredients, I've just had a nose, and I don't see anything especially artificial with peppers, water, acetic acid, spices and salt, especially when the main ingredients in the Chilli Pepper Pete's sauce are pineapple, onions and vinegar. Granted, the modified corn starch and xantham gum in the Encona sauce aren't exactly household ingredients, but almost everything in the supermarket contains them these days.

• mal 26 Jul 2012 00:41:50 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And regarding garlic, I've just discoved that Lidl sell single clove garlic bulbs, which are a great time saver if you make meals in large quantities in advance, as I do - no need to peel each individual clove, just chop the whole thing in half and the peel just falls off. Brilliant!

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2012 00:49:54 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:

You surprise me, especially after recommending a sweet chilli based recipe. Sweet chilli is my guiltiest guilty pleasure (which is as it should be I guess, as all condiments should be at least a little naughty).

I just think that if you compare Blue Dragon sweet chilli, next to Encona Sweet Chilli, then the former has flavour while the latter just comes across like an artificially hot sauce because the heat overwhelms every other aspect of it.

I like to think I have a pretty tolerant palette - I've only come across a couple of indian restaurant dishes labelled "extra hot" that have actually bothered me to any degree. As I said, I guess it just depends on your sense of taste.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:50:52 26-07-2012

• mal 26 Jul 2012 01:00:11 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, reminds me of one particular non-drinking curry house where a Jalfrezi turned out to be the hottest thing I'd ever come across at the time. I recall it being chillis cooked in a clear jelly, although my memory may be playing tricks - but that's all you could taste.

With some of the Encona sauces in particular, you do need the flavour to come from your food, and the heat to simply compliment it, and that's where you need to use the right sauce for your palate I guess.

I've not actually had that much sweet chilli, but I guess it was probably my gateway condiment into the world of hot sauces back in the day, so I've never tried Encona sweet chilli to the best of my knowledge.

But either way, cheers for the recipe - I will be trying that out.

• SuperCoolEskimo 26 Jul 2012 02:30:41 9,728 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gravy.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2012 23:02:07
    The Tabasco Chipolte sauce out at the moment is the bomb.
  • FuzzyDuck 16 Aug 2012 17:53:35 3,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @WeakOrbit

Where could one purchase this sauce, as it sounds tasty as? ;)
  • smoothpete 16 Aug 2012 17:58:17 31,362 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's pretty common actually. I think Tesco stock it. If not, look here:

http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/

Great site / shop. You can get either dried chipotles (which you can then put in a spice grinder to make by far the best chili powder for cooking mexican food), or you can get them tinned in adobo sauce which is a highly spiced tomato gravy. Fooking amazing.
  • DaM 16 Aug 2012 18:15:06 12,905 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Gravy.
    Is gravy a condiment? Isn't it a sauce?

Am I inadvertently quoting Alan Partridge?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 16 Aug 2012 19:36:29 9,728 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Gravy.
    Is gravy a condiment? Isn't it a sauce?

Am I inadvertently quoting Alan Partridge?
    Bisto.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2012 19:47:05
    Obviously mustard is the king. Steak and a nice mustard is heaven. I tend to favour the French dijon mustard atm. The lighter type.
  • mrpon 16 Aug 2012 19:48:23 28,495 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /limp wrist

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 16 August 2012 20:41:06
    Wrist strengthening excercises

No need to thank me ;)
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2012 20:45:55 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've found a wasabi mayonnaise.

Awesome in sandwiches.

Also found a big bottle of yoghurt and mint squirty sauce in my local poundshop the other day. It's surprisingly really, really good and went extremely well with leftover chicken madras shoved into a heated a pitta bread.

• Elathron 17 Aug 2012 11:28:13 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, Chilli Pepper Pete's Moruga Scorpion and Mango Sauce is amazing!!! It's hot but not to the extent where it overpowers food (although I like incredibly spicey food so I'm not the best judge of what is super hot). He also does other insane sauces that range from mild/sweet to exracts of capsicum. I thoroughly recommend his site and shop to anyone who doens't mind that tingling sensation (at both ends) :/

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Deleted user 17 August 2012 14:15:20
    @darkmorgado That wasabi mayonnaise sounds good. Will give that a go, seems easy enough to make. Only just found wasabi nuts the other month, they're awesome! Didn't seem too hot though, as I was led to believe.
  • Arrr9 19 Aug 2012 20:57:48 405 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wasabi mayonnaise is great, though I usually just mix up my own from, well wasabi and mayonnaise.

On that note and since Encona pepper sauce has been mentioned a few times, I find that the best pepper sauce is best made at home, that way you can tailor it to your taste.

My current favourite ( and stupidly simple recipe )

250 g Jalopeno peppers
    250 g Scotch bonnet
    1 peeled cucumber ( or mango if you want it slightly sweeter )
    1 teaspoon of salt
    4 tablespoons of distilled malt vinegar

As cucumber / mango is fairly benign, if it ends up too spicy, just blend either one in to reduce insanity levels.

Chop, blend together then put in a lovely jar and consume at your leisure. It may be an idea to de-seed the Scotch bonnets as I stupidly didn't on my last sauce and it ended up mild to taste at first scaling up to a rather silly heat. That's the good thing though, just adding bits and pieces as you see fit.

Or HP sauce, that's bloody great too.

Oh and writing the recipe made me remember the funniest thing I've ever seen posted on EG, the baked potato / monster munch recipe from Leolian'sBro

Edited by Arrr9 at 21:08:05 19-08-2012

Edited by Arrr9 at 21:09:44 19-08-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Aug 2012 02:02:47 3,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @WeakOrbit

Say, is this the one you were on about (was the only one i spotted in Tesco!). This is quite literally awesome sauce.

• Deleted user 31 August 2012 12:30:53
    @FuzzyDuck It is indeed man. Lovely stuff in a Burrito.

My latest favorite is

• spamdangled 4 Sep 2012 23:08:41 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Probably not the right thread for this, but does anyone have a good recipe for a good Mole sauce, or a suggestion where I can buy a good one (or at least a pre-made spice mix/paste?

• drhcnip 4 Sep 2012 23:16:13 2,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    used to make an awesome one years & years ago but the recipe got lost over time as it's not something you have every week - this is the closest i've found recently to it

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mole-sauce/

btw, has this been mentioned on here? adorable on hot toast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish
  • Elathron 5 Sep 2012 00:02:39 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RIP Chili Pepper Pete :cry:

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• mal 5 Sep 2012 00:36:32 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whaaat! Why wasn't there a LetsGo thread for this tragic news? I was about to start a new thread but it seems he died a week ago. Fucking cancer. Fuck it up the arse.

• Elathron 5 Sep 2012 00:56:49 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mal Indeed. Really weird because I saw him & his Mrs quite often. There's a do in Brighton on the 14th (this month) that he was gonna judge at etc. If anyone's interested please come along, it'll be a right laugh and a good way to remember him :champ:

• spamdangled 5 Sep 2012 01:40:58 27,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    used to make an awesome one years & years ago but the recipe got lost over time as it's not something you have every week - this is the closest i've found recently to it

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mole-sauce/
    Cheers for the link, looks like I have some dried chillis to buy!

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next