Are xbox 360 save games region free?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Pirotic Moderator 13 Feb 2009 20:53:57 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does anyone know if xbox 360 save games are region free on the region free games? Loving some JRPGs and wondering if it's worth loading the save games on the US version when released so I read the damn thing. If the US version doesn't support the save-game I can't be arsed to start over so I don't fancy forking out 40 to find out.

Yahoo Answers seems to think 'yes they are', but it doesn't quite sound right to me.. surely the data would be different, the saved language options would differ surely!
  • Hunam 13 Feb 2009 20:55:41 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure. They were on the dev kits but not sure if the same applies to retail games.
  • Pirotic Moderator 13 Feb 2009 20:57:19 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know as far as the dev kits go, the folder it nabs the save game out of is just based on the software version rather than the software region (ala PSP).. but, can't imagine the region free games have the same version number across all regions, would mean having to have the english/japanese language options in every version I'd have thought.
  • Retroid Moderator 13 Feb 2009 21:03:55 44,501 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It rather depends on the game itself. I remember reading most are pretty universal but some devs / publishers are twunts.
  • Skoptsie 13 Feb 2009 21:16:25 419 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The save files use the product code assigned by MS to that territory/language sku in their filename, so the US version shouldn't be able to see saves from the JP.

I could be wrong, but I think loading a save from a different product code is a no-no in the MS guidelines.
  • FinalBurn 24 Aug 2010 12:39:46 19 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry if I bring back to the grave this topic but I need help about sort of the same thing...

If I already had a savefile of a PAL game which is region free in all its versions (let's say Resident Evil 5, or Super Street Fighter IV), could I actually keep playing the game from that savefile, but using an NTSC (american or japanese) version of the same game?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next