Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Dawn of the dead is on BBC4 now if you've never seen it

This!
  • Futaba 26 Oct 2010 00:54:06 3,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished watching Session 9. Thought it was pretty good, although it is slow in parts and could probably have its runtime cut down a little to improve it.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Doggypup 26 Oct 2010 08:46:34 165 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Try the descent or switchblade romance
  • Zerobob 26 Oct 2010 09:16:58 1,605 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    By "good horror films" do you mean horror films which actually scare you? Horror films now rarely seem to meet their goal these days if that's the case.

It just seems like most horror films made these days have the primary goal of creating a cult following if nothing else, or paying homage to other horror movies with a strong cult following, or keeping the cult following flame burning for certain film series.

The only horror film that has geniunely freaked me out a little in the last 10 years has been The Fourth Kind.
  • lavalant 31 Oct 2010 16:03:13 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Films that kind of freak me out are

Silver Bullet. I'm not even scared of werewolves but this was done pretty well.
    Prince of Darkness. Don't know what it is but it's just creepy, john carpenter film.
    The grudge
    The original Salems lott but I think the films 3 hours long.
  • RobotHobo 31 Oct 2010 16:23:11 108 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prince of Darkness. Don't know what it is but it's just creepy, john carpenter film.

Yes this. Worth it for the DJ Shadow-Entroducing samples alone. It is creepy and quite chilling.
  • Oh-Bollox 31 Oct 2010 16:41:13 5,178 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Damn it! I had a date with a beautiful trial attorney from Century City!"

"Really. What was his name?"
  • Deleted user 31 October 2010 16:54:00
    Some oldies, new horror films are just so shite, I prefer ones with a creepy atmosphere like these, not all this Saw bollocks.

Ghost Story (1981)
    Great film about some blokes haunted and murdered later in life by the ghost of the girl they killed and covered up when they were younger. Really Creepy Scary stuff.

The Exorcist (1973) Still bloody brilliant and scared me shitless as a student. I still avoid it when its on.

The Sentinel (1977)
    A Michael Winner film, yes him of the fucking "calm down dear its only a commercial adverts". But a creepy fucking film about a single model who moves into an apartment in New York only to be haunted and groomed to become the guardian to the gate way to hell. Creepy fucking film.

Suspiria (1977)
    A newcomer to a fancy ballet academy in Italy gradually comes to realize that the staff of the school are actually a coven of witches bent on chaos and murder. One hell of a creepy film with some shocking murders and a nerve shredding creepy final 20min.

Don't look Now (1975)
    Okay everyone must know the shocking ending by now, but its also the harrowing creepy journey up to that moment which makes this a classic. Plus it has that OM fucking God first time watch shock ending which is never replicated on repeated viewings.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)
    Although a blatant Exorcist rip off its bloody good with some good creepy scares.

Judging by the age of these they dont make em like they used to.

Some honourable mentions:

The Ring (2002) Watched this before the original (knowing nothing) and loved it.
    Split Second (1992) Creepy sci-fi thriller with Rutger Hauer, tracking a mutant alien killer, a guilty pleasure.
    Alien (1979) Seen it so much it loses its shock, plus the action sequels spoil the Alien danger/mythology.
    The Thing (1982) A Classic, a hard watch though.
    Event Horizon (1998) Scary but on the whole a bit meh.
    The Descent (2005) Scary but turns into an OTT splatter movie.
    The Shining (1980) A good film a bit creepy but never found it that scary.

• Apollo 31 Oct 2010 17:09:58 523 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched Heartless, directed by Philip Ridley the other night. Very athmospheric,Lovecraftian, tale. Lost its way slightly toward the end yet enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Oh-Bollox 31 Oct 2010 17:11:13 5,178 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't look now (1975)
    Okay everyone must know the shocking ending by now, but its also the harrowing creepy journey up to that moment which makes this a classic.

Is it just me being fucking thick, or is it just a pure coincidence that there's a fucking murderous midget running around Venice in a red coat?
  • Deleted user 31 October 2010 17:15:19
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    Don't look now (1975)
    Okay everyone must know the shocking ending by now, but its also the harrowing creepy journey up to that moment which makes this a classic.

Is it just me being fucking thick, or is it just a pure coincidence that there's a fucking murderous midget running around Venice in a red coat?

Except Donald SUtherland and Wife didnt know.................he was also blinded by his grief untill his sudden realisation/see teh light moment.
  • Triggerhappytel 11 Apr 2013 01:24:05 2,695 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, really old bump here, but I'm in the mood for a horror film at the moment and am looking for recommendations. I'm in the mood for a creepy haunted house theme, and recently enjoyed The Woman in Black.

Other horror films I've enjoyed include:
    Rec
    Ring/Ring 2/Ring 0
    The Guard Post
    R-Point
    The Orphanage (if you can count it as horror)
    Halloween/The Thing/In The Mouth of Madness, etc - all the Carpenter classics
    The Host
    The Evil Dead trilogy
    Paranormal Activity
    The Eye
    The Grudge
    The typical classics like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texts Chainsaw, the Romero films, etc

I'm more into supernatural horror than just your typical slasher (although Saw was a clever thriller) and I don't like excessive gore. Any recommendations would be most welcome.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 08:13:15
    Stupid question but have you seen insidious?

Also, if you liked r point, have you seen some good British period war horror? Deathwatch, the bunker, outpost?

The original (not US remakes) pulse (kairo) and one missed call are good too.

Oh, also km31 is a brilliant horror if slightly derivative it's well done with a decent creep factor.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 08:33:30 11-04-2013
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next