Recommend me some good horror films Page 6

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 21:54:21
    Is Cronos the one in the Spanish orphanage?
  • Dirtbox 22 Oct 2010 22:03:00 77,728 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still waiting for a genuinely scary movie. Blair Witch was literally the last movie to have a spark of imagination and not just be a cheap shocker.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 22:03:16
    Had a look at my DVDs, and I'm actually on about The Devil's Backbone. A great film, even if it's more like a ghost story than a horror.
  • ronuds 22 Oct 2010 22:05:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm still waiting for a genuinely scary movie. Blair Witch was literally the last movie to have a spark of imagination and not just be a cheap shocker.

    You weren't frightened by movies even when you were little?

    C'mon!
  • Dirtbox 22 Oct 2010 22:07:00 77,728 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I mean in the last 10 years. It's all Wes Craven style shit.

    AND WORSE instead of make up effects, loads are CGI now, which ruins everything.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • RabidChild 22 Oct 2010 22:08:14 2,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eden Lake is the only film to freak me out in recent years.

    Craigy! Don't watch Session 9 - it is pure shite.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 22:08:34
    Well, there was Paranormal Activity, but that was complete crap.
  • ronuds 22 Oct 2010 22:09:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I mean in the last 10 years. It's all Wes Craven style shit.

    AND WORSE instead of make up effects, loads are CGI now, which ruins everything.

    Well, because we're too old! We know every trick in the book and being frightened by something we know is completely fake is a tough sell.

    The only time I'm frightened these days is when they give you the cheap trick of having something jump out of nowhere. But even most of the time that's too predictable, "Oh, scary music, something's coming."

    Also, see my comment a few back - I said the same about CGI. It ruins the experience completely!
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2010 22:09:30 59,512 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Is Cronos the one in the Spanish orphanage?

    No, its the one where the mechanical beetle thing turns the old guy into a vampire

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Dirtbox 22 Oct 2010 22:10:22 77,728 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not about special effects, it's meant to be psychological. I couldn't care less if a bunch of hollywood highschool hotties get lifts dropped on their heads, I'm rooting for the lunatic.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • ronuds 22 Oct 2010 22:13:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the one - House on Haunted Hill, or some such - where the group of people have to spend the night in a house and whoever survives gets a million?

    Now, that one, with the crazy doctor moving about at the speed of light, and the crazy merry-go-round thing they stuck the rich dude in, was somewhat scary. Until the end, when the house comes alive and reveals itself to be... a giant CGI blob.

    TERRIBLE!
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2010 22:22:29 59,512 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched the new Nightmare on Elm Street the other day. The less said about that, the better.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • iokthemonkey 22 Oct 2010 23:01:25 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    What's the one - House on Haunted Hill, or some such - where the group of people have to spend the night in a house and whoever survives gets a million?

    Now, that one, with the crazy doctor moving about at the speed of light, and the crazy merry-go-round thing they stuck the rich dude in, was somewhat scary. Until the end, when the house comes alive and reveals itself to be... a giant CGI blob.

    TERRIBLE!

    The original is better. It has a couple of genuinely good BOO shocks.

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • localnotail 22 Oct 2010 23:25:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Is Cronos the one in the Spanish orphanage?

    No, its the one where the mechanical beetle thing turns the old guy into a vampire

    watching this on Film4 now (adverts), really like it, ta for the heads up, missed it somehow. Like the mix of language particularly, plus I instantly like any film with Ron Perlman in.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • dutchspeededup 22 Oct 2010 23:26:06 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't Look Now or The Changeling (the one with George C. Scott, not Jolie)
  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 23:37:38
    Saw 3 is on C4 now. Think I'll give it a watch now that I'm in the mood for some horror.

    First one was good IMO, so I'll give this a shot.
  • ronuds 23 Oct 2010 00:28:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but I hope someone mentioned Alien or Aliens. Those'll scare the crap out of you.

    The original Friday the 13th should also be seen. They went way overboard by making a hundred of them, but the 1st is pretty good.

    I saw a special about the Exorcist the other night. It talked about how they had psychiatrists waiting outside theater doors to help those who couldn't handle the film. Crazy stuff!
  • dutchspeededup 23 Oct 2010 08:16:39 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:


    I saw a special about the Exorcist the other night. It talked about how they had psychiatrists waiting outside theater doors to help those who couldn't handle the film. Crazy stuff!

    That sounds like a brilliant publicity stunt to me.

    My favourite horror publicity campaign was for Blair Witch and, in particular, the idea to send unmarked pre-release VHS cassettes of the film to frat and sorority houses in otherwise empty envelopes.

    Genius.
  • Tiger_Walts 23 Oct 2010 09:14:53 16,587 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    What's the one - House on Haunted Hill, or some such - where the group of people have to spend the night in a house and whoever survives gets a million?

    Now, that one, with the crazy doctor moving about at the speed of light, and the crazy merry-go-round thing they stuck the rich dude in, was somewhat scary. Until the end, when the house comes alive and reveals itself to be... a giant CGI blob.

    TERRIBLE!

    The original is better. It has a couple of genuinely good BOO shocks.

    And is downloadable from archive.org
    And has Vincent Price in it
    And is full of black humour

    IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

  • Ged42 23 Oct 2010 10:22:16 7,721 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a interesting series on iplayer/BBC4 where Mark Gatiss of the League of Gentlemen goes through some his favourite horror films.

    The first episode is the Boris Karlof and Bela Lugosi classic horrors like Frankenstein and Dracula. The second episode is Hammer Horror and the third episode on Monday will be modern horror.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2010 09:27:01
    @Ged42 You beat me to it.

    Interesting selection of films on there so far and while its been good, some real WTF moments with Gatiss doing his interviewing nodding-in-agreement thing. The Barbara Steele interview on last Mondays was like a battle of the freaks :D

    He's better when he's speaking direct to camera though.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2010 09:44:12
    http://www.publicdomainflicks.com/
  • Tiger_Walts 25 Oct 2010 09:58:29 16,587 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also on iPlayer at the moment, paired with the Gatiss series, is the feature remake of The Quatermass Experiment. The original aired on TV and was either not recorded due to live performance or it was recorded and the tapes were lost/erased.

    IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

  • quadfather 25 Oct 2010 10:27:59 11,986 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    The Innocents
    The Haunting (the original)
    Dead of Night (1945 - the original anthology that inspired Amicus/Creepshow)

    TV-wise, the BBC's adaptations of M.R. James - short, hour-long (or so) TV plays, relying on atmosphere, performance and creepy corner-of-the-eye shit: "Whistle & I'll Come to You" "A Warning to the Curious" "Lost Hearts" "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral" "The Ash Tree" and (more recently) "Number 13" and "A View from A Hill."

    You should also check out "Nigel Kneale's Beasts" a six-part anthology from the chap who created Quatermass and his excellent TV play, "The Stone Tape."

    And "Sapphire & Steel" is still creepy.

    If you like zombie flicks and can stomach a little gore, then there's none better than "Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" AKA "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie." And on a similar Euro-kick, "The Tombs of the Blind Dead" are a great series of zombie/ghost movies.

    Definitely any of these - you have to go back a bit to get decent horror. I've lost count of the amount of pure shat released recently. Should be a crime.

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • pistol 25 Oct 2010 16:24:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but I hope someone mentioned Alien or Aliens. Those'll scare the crap out of you.

    The original Friday the 13th should also be seen. They went way overboard by making a hundred of them, but the 1st is pretty good.

    I saw a special about the Exorcist the other night. It talked about how they had psychiatrists waiting outside theater doors to help those who couldn't handle the film. Crazy stuff!

    I also liked the way the Director kept the temperature on a lot of the sets very cold so the actors had steam coming out of their mouth when talking. A lot of the stories around the making of that film were either made up or exaggerated, but there was still some weird shit going on throughout the filming. As a film it's a little dated now but still one of my favourites.
  • Jono62 25 Oct 2010 22:06:44 14,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dawn of the dead is on BBC4 now if you've never seen it
  • Lukey__b 25 Oct 2010 22:34:40 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Liter wrote:
    iokthemonkey wrote:


    TV-wise, the BBC's adaptations of M.R. James - short, hour-long (or so) TV plays, relying on atmosphere, performance and creepy corner-of-the-eye shit: "Whistle & I'll Come to You" "A Warning to the Curious" "Lost Hearts" "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral" "The Ash Tree" and (more recently) "Number 13" and "A View from A Hill."

    You missed out what I think is the best BBC Ghost Story (but not, of course, by James - so maybe that's why you didn't mention it :) ) :

    The Signalman

    That one was very nice and creepy, with a bit of mild 'horror' and shock value thrown in too.

    Is that based on the Dickens short story?

    'Sup, what's guanine?

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply