The Six Nations (Rugby) Thread Page 14

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Madder-Max 26 Feb 2012 19:13:41 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Good heart from England here.
    wasn't enough though was it. Bit like Tim Henman. Have you English lot started blaming the pitch or weather yet? Usually do.

grand slam here we fucking come!

"...land of my father....etc.....)

99 problems and being ginger is one

• fergal_oc 27 Feb 2012 09:52:28 2,764 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like a couple of untimely injuries cose Scotland yesterday althought there's a thought that maybe the French were doing just what was necessary.

As for 'the' game, I quite like Lancaster. Reminds me of Chris Barrie, could be his brother, although you could blame the defeat purely on him because he made the changes when they weren't necessary.

Thought England made Wales play poorly and what a moment of genius from Scot Williams, shame in some ways he didn't make the pass earlier when they had the overlap, would've been a much more comfortable last 10 mintues.

But still, all credit to Morgan, Farrell and Tuilagi. I thought Botha also had a fantastic game in the second row. Dickson isn't a bad scrum half but by god I hated him taking so long to get the ball out from rucks.

And then with all that good will to our friends over the bridge, along comes Strettle to have it all thrown away. Such a sore loser it's unbelievable. Fancy trying to justify a change in the rules just so that his non-try should've been given.

Walsh and his assistants were generally poor, but they were poor to both teams. Robshaw should've seen yellow for pulling down in the lineout for certain and that would've been game over for England. A few dodgy penalties both ways and Walsh allowed both teams an age to get the ball out of tackles.

Still, exciting game, would've been amazing to have been at Twickers.
  • grey_matters 27 Feb 2012 10:04:21 3,792 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    wasn't enough though was it. Bit like Tim Henman. Have you English lot started blaming the pitch or weather yet? Usually do.

heh, I'm not English so your banter is a bit misplaced.
  • Madder-Max 27 Feb 2012 10:19:21 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:

Oh.........

/facepalms self

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mr_Sleep 27 Feb 2012 10:34:21 17,166 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fergal_oc wrote:
    Walsh and his assistants were generally poor, but they were poor to both teams. Robshaw should've seen yellow for pulling down in the lineout for certain and that would've been game over for England. A few dodgy penalties both ways and Walsh allowed both teams an age to get the ball out of tackles.

Still, exciting game, would've been amazing to have been at Twickers.
    Definitely this. There was so much messing around at the rucks, he didn't seem to mind players constantly interfering and not rolling away which slowed things down a great deal.

Credit to England to some degree as I thought their game plan was very well conceived and did stop Wales from playing their natural game. I wouldn't be surprised if Wales now consider other options as the pressure in the second half was pretty consistent and our attempts to get out of the 22 were pretty ropey for a lot of the time. Also, Phillips and Priestland had pretty bad games, this could also be attributed to England's effort but Priestland especially didn't dominate as he can.

Saying all that, Wales still managed to win quite a scrapy game which is always a good sign for champions elect :-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• agparrot 27 Feb 2012 11:03:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:

Oh.........

/facepalms self
    Heh, I'm English but I just love rugby, so the banter doesn't work on me, either. I just like watching the game being played when it's done well. I think Wales clearly deserved the win on balance, that brief moment of genius from Williams was just the sort of thing that separated the teams, who otherwise seemed to do a brilliant job of vexing each other or, in some cases, themselves.

I think fergal_oc has pretty much covered all the important points, and like Mr_Sleep I agree about the refereeing, I thought there'd been a move towards the refs encouraging the teams to move the ball, but it didn't seem evident in that game. As with kickers taking their full minute, though, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing those time-wasting teams lose in the end, having pissed away those few seconds that might've given them time to score (Sorry, oh land of my birth! ;) ).

I also thought the Scotland/France game could've done with a bit more decision in how the scrums were guided, and there were loads of occasions where the ref didn't seem to have control over the sometimes scrappy mauls and rucks. I know it's a fine line between overbearing whistle-blowing and allowing the game to descend into freeform chaos, but there were clearly a few moments towards the end of the game where the whistle should have been blown.

Great weekend of Rugby though. More like this, please!
  • agparrot 27 Feb 2012 11:03:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:

Oh.........

/facepalms self
    Heh, I'm English but I just love rugby, so the banter doesn't work on me, either. I just like watching the game being played when it's done well. I think Wales clearly deserved the win on balance, that brief moment of genius from Williams was just the sort of thing that separated the teams, who otherwise seemed to do a brilliant job of vexing each other or, in some cases, themselves.

I think fergal_oc has pretty much covered all the important points, and like Mr_Sleep I agree about the refereeing, I thought there'd been a move towards the refs encouraging the teams to move the ball, but it didn't seem evident in that game. As with kickers taking their full minute, though, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing those time-wasting teams lose in the end, having pissed away those few seconds that might've given them time to score (Sorry, oh land of my birth! ;) ).

I also thought the Scotland/France game could've done with a bit more decision in how the scrums were guided, and there were loads of occasions where the ref didn't seem to have control over the sometimes scrappy mauls and rucks. I know it's a fine line between overbearing whistle-blowing and allowing the game to descend into freeform chaos, but there were clearly a few moments towards the end of the game where the whistle should have been blown.

Great weekend of Rugby though. More like this, please!
  • boo 4 Mar 2012 16:05:47 11,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Possible upset going on in Paris!!

Just Another Lego Blog

• grey_matters 10 Mar 2012 16:47:46 3,792 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great chance for Scotland today. They are a decent side that just needs some points/wins to get some confidence. It might be a good time to catch Ireland.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Mar 2012 17:38:20 26,134 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Come on you Irish!
  • grey_matters 10 Mar 2012 17:48:17 3,792 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank fuck. There's a lot of poor defending out there. Still, moar tries plz!
  • boo 10 Mar 2012 18:27:30 11,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good job from Wales earlier. Not the pointsfest everyone was expecting - I thought Italy played out of their skins, but a good result.

Bring on Les Bleus!

Cracking game going on at Landsdowne Road too!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Whizzo 11 Mar 2012 15:20:59 43,186 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :-O

This space left intentionally blank.

• Jono62 11 Mar 2012 15:26:57 14,193 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    \o/
  • X201 11 Mar 2012 15:30:19 15,576 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sarkosy's face :-)
  • Jono62 11 Mar 2012 16:12:13 14,193 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alain Roland really is a shit ref.
  • Dougs 11 Mar 2012 16:13:52 68,364 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How was that even a deliberate knock on, let alone a yellow. Genuine attempt to intercept imo
  • X201 11 Mar 2012 16:14:51 15,576 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So its now an offence to attempt an intercept? :-O
  • Orange 11 Mar 2012 16:34:45 4,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    great try.
  • Whizzo 11 Mar 2012 16:34:57 43,186 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fantastic! I thought the game was slipping away from England but that certainly helps a lot. :-D

• Whizzo 11 Mar 2012 16:42:05 43,186 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bollocks.

• Orange 11 Mar 2012 16:44:55 4,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    what an ending :D
  • Whizzo 11 Mar 2012 16:47:35 43,186 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yay!!

• Jono62 11 Mar 2012 16:48:54 14,193 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great game!
  • Megapocalypse 11 Mar 2012 16:50:04 5,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. First game I've actually been able to sit down and watch this year. Chose a good one. :D
  • Psychotext 11 Mar 2012 16:53:17 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a Wales fan I really, really wanted that French drop goal to go over. :D
  • ecu 11 Mar 2012 16:58:06 77,011 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Utd go top, Scotland lost, England won, Wiggins won the cycling. Best weekend of sport in a long time!
  • Orange 11 Mar 2012 16:58:26 4,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That yellow card for Sharples was ludicrous, especially coming just after the Fofana incident. Rolland gets worse every year.

Edited by Orange at 16:59:09 11-03-2012
  • fergal_oc 13 Mar 2012 15:15:47 2,764 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great atmosphere at the Millennium on Sat despite the empty seats. That's probably the best rendition of the anthem I've heard live, really felt a shiver down the spine.

Wasn't a bad game either really, Italy really upped their game which I knew they would and the ref was picky which helped them too. But still a win is a win, dead jealous my sisters are off to the France game next week. I'll be at home bricking myself!
  • Page

of 22 First / Last