The Daily Fail fails again! Page 75

• Page

of 85 First / Last

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 15:12:55 87,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He doesn't have to break the law to get sacked, but he does have to have done something sackable. Again, given that his job is that of opinion piece journalist for a right wing rag, I think you're going to find it very hard to argue he wasn't doing his job.

As for whether he contributed to/caused her death, who can say? Yes, it seems likely that he is some way a contributor, but like the recent case with the Australian pranksters and that poor nurse, I think it's a stretch to hold him directly accountable.
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:18:42 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Littlejohn is obviously an odious little man, but I think the behaviour of the press after his article was published is more likely to be a larger reason for her death (although this is obviously still speculation).

The details in the Guardian's article are pretty appalling. This woman had done nothing wrong and yet was hounded by journalists and had to leave her home early and leave work late to avoid them. That just isn't on, really.
  • RedSparrows 25 Mar 2013 15:24:22 22,882 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Littlejohn is representative, not identical, with/of the foul practices of some of the press. The fact he still has a job is a disgusting fact, but not one you can really gripe about given where he works.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2013 15:28:40
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Littlejohn is representative, not identical, with/of the foul practices of some of the press. The fact he still has a job is a disgusting fact, but not one you can really gripe about given where he works.
    Yeah. In some ways I feel about this like I do about the "ban tits on page 3" thing. It's a bit of misdirection and, to be honest, a bit illogical (in the "fix this minor thing and everything will be okay" attitude). Sack Littlejohn and someone as equally odious will take over for him. People should be looking at the broader issue of how the press works rather than directing all the venom at a single person.
  • chopsen 25 Mar 2013 15:29:25 16,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I honestly don't know any of the details apart from catching some moral outrage on the internet. Anyway, it's an opportunity to stick the boot in due to the fact that he is generally a bit of a reprehensible twat. Just because it is his job and he gets paid for being a reprehensible twat, doesn't make it ok in many people's eyes. He's acting like a lighting rod for a lot of the anger people feel about the press, *specifically* regarding the issue of how innocent members of the public get used for fodder to create cheap copy.

Edited by Chopsen at 15:29:54 25-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 15:37:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Littlejohn is obviously an odious little man, but I think the behaviour of the press after his article was published is more likely to be a larger reason for her death (although this is obviously still speculation).

The details in the Guardian's article are pretty appalling. This woman had done nothing wrong and yet was hounded by journalists and had to leave her home early and leave work late to avoid them. That just isn't on, really.
    Ah yes, the same press who are currently arguing that we don't need Leveson's regulations...
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:40:06 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd be surprised if the sort of actions in the Guardian article would've been okay under the old PCC code. (Although I suppose her ability to receive an apology or any kind of restitution would've been limited on account of her probably not being rich enough to afford legal costs)
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 15:45:24 87,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Basically, as much as I hate Littlejohn and as much as I hate what he said in that article, I don't particularly like him being strung-up over it by an outraged mob thanks to a Facebook campaign.

I'm also not sure it helps the wider cause. Stuff like this poor woman's death is the kind of thing that might actually make the likes of Littlejohn think twice about their actions in future, but not if they are made into martyrs.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 15:48:02 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its fundamentally the Mails fault. They pay littlecock to spew his bile and conducted the doorstepping campaign. They should be held to account, not an employee.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 15:49:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel I see your point, but if you think an odious shit like Littlejohn would become more responsible in his hate filled bile I think you are being a little naive.
    Losing his job or the threat of it WOULD make him think. As best he can anyway.
  • glaeken 25 Mar 2013 15:50:10 11,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually I would not mind to much at all if Littlejohn was strung-up by some howling mob. Of course it would be wrong but then a lot of wrong stuff happens and as wrong stuff goes lynching Littlejohn is actually pretty good. The Mail could then do some sort of broken Britain type story so it's a win win situation.

Edited by glaeken at 15:50:27 25-03-2013
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:51:00 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The response of a Mail spokesman was genuinely astonishing, by the way:

"It is regrettable that this tragic death should now be the subject of an orchestrated Twitterstorm, fanned by individuals including former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell with agendas to pursue."

Top class.
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:51:53 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha, I think the first word that comes to most people's mind when they think "Littlejohn" is "odious". That's like the third time it's been used on this page.
  • RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 15:51:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tom_Servo Yeah because the Daily Mail doesn't have an agenda..!
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:54:36 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, they're probably not totally wrong on that but it just isn't remotely appropriate.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 15:57:15 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Tom_Servo Yeah because the Daily Mail doesn't have an agenda..!
    Thats kind of the point. Littlecock would never lose his job for writing something like this as A) The Mail published it in the first place and B) They probably asked him to write it.

Hes more likely to get the bullet for refusing to write this garbage than the opposite.

• glaeken 25 Mar 2013 15:59:33 11,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The average Daily Mail reader is probably glad the person is dead anyway. I am sure they would see it as natural justice and they will sleep easier knowing they are no longer in danger from whatever it is they are scared of this week.
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 16:06:33 87,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It just depresses me a bit that tragedies like this never seem to translate into actual learnings and progress. Just outrage and pitch-forks.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:09:04 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats the internet for you. A few people on my soshul meejas seem to exist in a perpetual state of moral outrage.

• Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 16:10:51 17,983 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, Twitter is really the left-wing version of the Daily Mail comments. The country's still going to the dogs, but for different reasons.
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 16:16:38 87,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen both ends of the scale on FB/Twitter to be honest.
  • RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 16:21:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel well we have Leveson but the powerful media will back out as much. As they can
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:24:56 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of which, I think its now fairly obvious that the leveson inquiry has achieved precisely fuck all at great expense.

• LeoliansBro 25 Mar 2013 16:27:18 44,415 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She was hounded to her death by the press after Littlejohn drew attention to her.

He may not have done anything wrong but to feel no remorse, let alone attempt to defend himself... These are not the responses of a pleasant man.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 16:28:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @nickthegun the problem is that the press have too much power which makes it harder for the government to limit it. Also, Cameron doesn't really want to reform.

Something needs to happen, it would be a stain on the nation of they don't.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:28:22 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He said to the surprise of absolutely no one.

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 16:30:25 87,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    She was hounded to her death by the press after Littlejohn drew attention to her.

He may not have done anything wrong but to feel no remorse, let alone attempt to defend himself... These are not the responses of a pleasant man.
    I wasn't aware he had actually responded at all.
  • RobTheBuilder 25 Mar 2013 16:32:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @nickthegun well quite
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:35:39 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @nickthegun the problem is that the press have too much power which makes it harder for the government to limit it. Also, Cameron doesn't really want to reform.
    They dont have the power, not anymore. Im actually glad that that its taking ages as I think what he is proposing isnt the worst thing in the world.

A lot of people need to be careful what they wish for, to be perfectly frank lest we turn into an overreaching nanny state like australia who recently proposed government levels of interference in all forms of media.

• nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 16:36:25 60,130 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @nickthegun well quite
    I was talking about the revelation that littlejohn may be a deeply unpleasant man.

• Page

of 85 First / Last