SYKPE in the workplace

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • James-Caldari 22 Jan 2009 10:27:32 2,103 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone use SKYPE within their office, and - if so - do you have a company policy for it? I've had a run in with the MD... she's annoyed that one of my staff marked himself unavailable (he did this after getting pissed off with the incessant stream of SKYPE chats interrupting his work).
  • Stretch 22 Jan 2009 10:34:56 122 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use SKYPE at my work, everyone in the company works from home so its the cheapest way for us all to communicate - Just because your marked as unavailable doesn't mean that you cant still contact - your MD needs a slap - unavailable just means "dont necessarily expect a reply cos I'm busy".

We dont have a company policy for it here, but generally here; if you need to talk to someone then you call them. If they dont answer then you send them an IM saying that you need to talk, what its about, and get them to call when their free.

I'd definitely be giving the MD a slap
  • BartonFink 22 Jan 2009 10:41:03 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup we use it all the time and AIM too. MD definitely needs a slap.
  • James-Caldari 22 Jan 2009 10:42:30 2,103 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did want to point out to her that the phone was still there... the silly cow.

I totally understand my staff member's point though. It's not SKYPE itself, more the irritating way people in the offices use it... One minute your deep in thought (or shallow in thought in my case), trying to write a bit of code or whatever, then - PING! - up pops a SKYPE message... "Hello." So that takes you out of 'the zone', and you then have that irritating debate about whether to a) minimise the Window and ignore, b) say "Hello" back, or c) wait for the person to actually get to the point.

We hate the dreaded "SKYPE Hello".
  • plok 22 Jan 2009 10:47:03 1,296 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skype was used in the last place I worked but personally I found it one of the most buggy programs to use. Never seemed to show peoples status correctly.

I do agree that it can be a distraction and I know people in IT tend to hate it because they only get more "my PC isnt working" people than ever. If used right it can be handy, but I dont think it should be the primary method of contacting people in a workplace - unless its tea break time! :-)
  • Stretch 22 Jan 2009 11:09:03 122 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If people are just using it to say hello cos their bored then they need a slap too - Thats what this forum is for - at least then you know that the people replying are as bored as you...
  • pistol 22 Jan 2009 11:11:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, we;ve had Skype pretty much since it's release and lots of my clients and work contacts use it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next