Ow and Crackdown 2.

And Max Payne 3.

And Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 4.

And Warhammer 40000: Space Marine.

And Halo Reach.

Oh dear... /o\
  • Deleted user 4 January 2010 16:43:16
    Hunam wrote:
    Alpha Protocol with be amazing. I have no basis for backing it up other than my word. Also, it could be shit.

I want it to be good, I really do. From what I've seen it looks to be a bit Yakuza-ey, which would be a good thing, but I don't know if they can quite pull it off
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2010 16:47:01 20,934 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

Even so, I'll probably have to buy Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank: ACiT or GTAIV if I see them cheap....

No you want. PM me when you're ready to play it and I'll provide, courtesy of the loansies group. It's not on my list yet as a friend has it, but he should be done in a week or so (although it doesn't sound like you'll be ready then but whenever, no rush, I won't get rid of it and it'll save you buying another one to add to your collection).

What I've stopped doing is buying games when I see them cheap unless I have time to buy them. I always think 'great price, it won't drop lower than that' when it reaches something like 12-15. So I buy it. Then I don't get time to play it for 6 months, and then it's available everywhere for sub 10.

Zak and Wiki is one. I rushed to buy that at 15 thinking it was a great deal, still haven't played it a year on and it's now readily available for 8. :o(
  • Flying_Pig 4 Jan 2010 16:51:54 11,517 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^^ Done! Wow - thanks. I'll PM you once I've finished Borderlands and Uncharted 2. Say March?! ;)
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2010 16:53:38 20,934 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Perfect, mate.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2010 17:46:23
    I"m going to do this too. I have way too many old games that need playing and not enough cash to warrant wasting on more. I also think I'll flog some of the stuff I'll probably never play. (like GTAIV)
  • Mr_Brown 4 Jan 2010 17:53:20 1,009 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm trying to limit the games I buy now and currently working through loads of games I've prevously brought which is helping alot. Luckily the only games I have that is still sealed is Shadow of the Collossus (card board post card version) which cost me 9.99 at the time. That and some dreamcast games (JSR and PSO).

Vita: GameOverYeah

• FooAtari 4 Jan 2010 18:17:01 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I simply cannot get my head around the idea of buying a game at such expense and then not even opening it.

Yeah doesn't make much sense, unless the game is stupidly cheap (stares at Steam). Which leads on to this;

kentmonkey wrote:
    What I've stopped doing is buying games when I see them cheap unless I have time to buy them. I always think 'great price, it won't drop lower than that' when it reaches something like 12-15. So I buy it. Then I don't get time to play it for 6 months, and then it's available everywhere for sub 10.

This is the best idea for most people here it seems. What the hell is the point of buying game if you have no time to play to it or it is going straight to the bottom of an ever growing pile. Just don't buy it. It will be cheaper when you have time to play, or you will forget about and never miss it...

You all have no will power.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2010 18:19:08
    I'm limiting myself to Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake and Halo Reach this year. I'm tempted by Darksiders however. And I'll get the Lost Guardian in the unlikely event it's released in Europe this year.
  • Trafford 4 Jan 2010 19:47:22 5,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm in on this.No massive pile of unplayed games but I've just bought a new bike without the wifes knowledge.It arrives end of March,then the shit will hit the fan I guess.

I take with me into this exile,Dragon Age,Empire Total War and Ass Creed2 on the 360.
    Can offer the later as a loan/swap when I've finished.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jan 2010 10:50:42 11,517 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK - seems to be some interest in this, so some rules methinks:

Agreement not to purchase any more games for your own use between today and 30th June 2010.
    Exceptions:
    - Use of existing PSN credit/XBL points is permitted, but you can't buy anymore
    - Swapping doesn't count
    - Up to 1 existing pre-order doesn't count
    - 1 mulligan permitted
    - Gifts are allowed
  • Murbs 5 Jan 2010 10:56:16 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So 1 mulligan can be one moment of weakness? Right, time to put my details out there:

I need to play/finish on 360:

Borderlands, Dragon Age, Assassins Creed 2, MW2, Forza 3, Bioshock, GoW2.

I also sold a couple of games which I hadn't finished and would like to re-buy. Rules?

I have 1 pre-order (ME2).
    My mulligan will be Fallout 3 goty.
    I have 1100 ms points.
    I have (ahem) 77 in my play/trade funds and a 5 voucher for Play.com. What shall I do here?

edit: have marked thread as interesting...
  • cianchristopher 5 Jan 2010 10:58:42 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm amazed so many others have this problem as well.

I buy far too much, then never ever ever get around to playing them.

I bought Oblivion for 360 back in 2007, still haven't played more than 2-3 hours of it (all I did was escape the sewer, go see Geoffrey, then wander around for an hour or two). Haven't played it since.

Fallout 3 - same story (well i've put in about 5 hours or so, completed the 3-dog quest (Find Galaxy News Radio)). Haven't played it since.

Fable 2 - same story. Also - BioShock, Crackdown, GTA IV, Dead Space, the Orange Box, Mass Effect....

Now, I'm skipping Bayonetta on Friday (even though I want it) as I aim to finish (by the end of January) BioShock, Dead Space, Crackdown and The Orange Box...

I don't know the best way to tackle the RPGs above (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2) - but I want to get 'em all done by end of March. Anyone know if this is even possible?
  • Murbs 5 Jan 2010 11:00:02 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I don't know the best way to tackle the RPGs above (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2) - but I want to get 'em all done by end of March. Anyone know if this is even possible?

March 2011?
  • cianchristopher 5 Jan 2010 11:04:22 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, I'm serious about March 2010.

Would it be possible to finish Fable 2, Mass Effect, Oblivion and Fallout 3 if I play every evening after work for, say 3-4 hours, and all day Saturday and Sunday for say, 8-10 hours.

This would be for all of February and March this year. (8 weeks and 3 days).

I don't need to finish every side quest or anything, just the main quest in each game (plus a few of the more interesting side quests).

Or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jan 2010 11:05:09 11,517 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    So 1 mulligan can be one moment of weakness?

Yes. Or a bargain too good to miss.

I have (ahem) 77 in my play/trade funds and a 5 voucher for Play.com. What shall I do here?

Hmm, good question. If it were me, I'd justify that it's not new money - more like existing ms points - so OK to spend. But then, these days, that kind of money'd get you 3 new releases so may not be in the 'spirit of the thread....?
  • jonsaan 5 Jan 2010 11:05:53 25,440 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You are setting yourself up for mental trauma I'd say dude! There's a whole world out there. Everything in moderation!

FCUTA!

• cianchristopher 5 Jan 2010 11:07:32 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah fuck it!

I'll just trade 'em in - never gonna play the fucking things anyway (especially if I have to force myself like this).
  • Murbs 5 Jan 2010 11:08:18 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Hmm, good question. If it were me, I'd justify that it's not new money - more like existing ms points - so OK to spend. But then, these days, that kind of money'd get you 3 new releases so may not be in the 'spirit of the thread....?

I'll save it for my mulligan perhaps... Or for the second half of the year. Or transfer the funds to my current account to cover my ME2 preorder (assuming I don't cancel that - I'm feeling strong willed today)...
  • Widge Moderator 5 Jan 2010 11:12:24 13,746 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fallout 3 I did to platinum, taking me about 3 - 4 weeks. I had a lot of play on that too although once I hit the level cap, I started powering through it as I was pretty much invincible.

Its not that hard to power your way to Level 14 either... as I had to do that to polish off the Karma trophies on a separate play.

Not sure how much effort Oblivion takes as I'm still going through it. Lets say its the same though. If you play how you say you are, you'll be playing more than I did I reckon. So we'll say Fallout 3 and Oblivion in 7 weeks. You should still get enjoyment from it too, as opposed to a powerplay obsession runthrough.

Mass Effect I'm going to start AGAIN as I forgot to back up my save when reinstalling Windows. Sometimes that game feels LONG, like in the Citadel, with all the conversations.

Fable I can't comment on, I get the inkling its not as massive as the other games.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 5 Jan 2010 11:14:10 13,746 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least keep Fallout and savour that til March!

I'm trading in loads of CDs at CEX for what is pretty decent money. Going to spend vouchers on games I want as they hit good 2nd hand prices. I am actually forcing me to finish some games. Going through Batman, then Infamous, bits of Demon's Souls...

I will buckle for FFXIII as that is the only thing I want on release.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 5 January 2010 11:17:13
    Murbal wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:

I'll save it for my mulligan perhaps... Or for the second half of the year. Or transfer the funds to my current account to cover my ME2 preorder (assuming I don't cancel that - I'm feeling strong willed today)...

Yeah, consider it money in the gaming bank, going to put aside any money I get from my swaps for a later date.

Was talking about this with kentmonkey, decided to put up a list of all my unplayed games (all the games in my EG profile game collection), digging around, found I had more than expected, over 40 games - some of which I've had for over five years. :o

I'm hopeful they've matured like fine wine, so long as I play them on my old mini CRT.
  • NikeFerrari 5 Jan 2010 11:21:24 9 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm banning myself from banning myself from buying any more games.
  • mrpon 5 Jan 2010 11:23:15 29,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to ban people from buying me games as gifts, in fact it's my own fault for telling them what I want!

/stares at unopened Bioshock, KZ2, RB2, RFoM, MGS4 & Kameo(!)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• cianchristopher 5 Jan 2010 11:24:07 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How long would it take to get through Far Cry 2? Ending up with, say, a healthy 20 or 25 achievements?
  • RunningMan 5 Jan 2010 11:26:30 2,451 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a pretty long game (played it for 30+ hours on PC).
  • Deleted user 5 January 2010 11:27:17
    NikeFerrari wrote:
    I'm banning myself from banning myself from buying any more games.

+ 1 for certain. I'm going to not buy anymore until I've played all of the games I've got or got rid of them. I've OC games from years back I've never even looked at. Granted they may suck these days, but I should at least check rather than going out and buying more crap that gathers dust.

Have to say, one good thing about being addicted to an MMORPG (LOTRO in my case), was that I never bought any other games during that time.
  • cianchristopher 5 Jan 2010 11:29:07 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    It's a pretty long game (played it for 30+ hours on PC).

So, much longer than Assassin's Creed (1) then?
  • jonsaan 5 Jan 2010 11:30:52 25,440 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kameo is awesome mrpon. Get to it!

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 5 January 2010 11:38:25
    cianchristopher wrote:
    How long would it take to get through Far Cry 2? Ending up with, say, a healthy 20 or 25 achievements?

Don't bother. Utter shit.
  • Page

of 50 First / Last