Self-imposed ban on buying more games Page 45

• Page

of 49 First / Last

• imamazed 7 Jan 2013 16:15:25 5,586 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, I thought I was bad! Pretty impressed/disgusted by some of those lists.

I just have:

Resident Evil 6
    Dead Island Goatee edition
    Mark of The Ninja
    Jet Set Radio
    Bulletstorm
    The Witcher II
    Condemned 2

Hmm, still, that was a little more than I thought when I started typing. I think that's it though. I must complete at least half I reckon before I even look at Dishonoured in the sale. And all of them by GTA V.
  • Murbal 23 Jan 2013 15:48:47 22,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK OK, I'll own up. Bought Far Cry 3 and pre-ordered Ni No Kuni. But *that's it*. No more. Promise.

From today, the 23rd January, I'll buy no more console games until I've exhausted those 2, Borderlands 2, any interesting PS+ content and my XBLA/GoD backlog. Should take some time.
  • TOOTR 24 Jan 2013 05:20:04 9,557 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apart from FTL on the PC I've been good this year. Very good. Amazing really.

/checks calender and see's it's only 3 weeks

Oh.

This really is 'Year of the Backlog' I reckon - in fact when I get tempted to buy I will come in here and list some of the appropriate backlog alternatives.

Hopefully you lot can help me choose an alternative. I've found that, for me, having such a huge backlog makes the problem worse. In that I find it difficult to choose which one to play next and....often go for a new one.

It's a disease I tells ya.

Hoping for some solidarity and support!

Guys?

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• DUFFMAN5 24 Jan 2013 06:03:38 14,667 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last game bought was Far Cry 3, late last year. so all good here. I have "bought" a copy of Resistance 3, however in mitigation I used the super points thing Play.com give you, so in fact it cost 750 super points and no actual money :)

I have also done well selling some games:

Dragons Dog
    Witcher 2
    Xenoblade
    wii classic controller
    That lot netted me £75 (well more, but that is what I cleared after fees) so that money will be used for Gears4 and The Last of us. so I still win...right ?

*I did buy a rather spiffing white ps3...but that is not games so doesn't count ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Bremenacht 24 Jan 2013 08:32:48 18,242 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    OK OK, I'll own up. Bought Far Cry 3 and pre-ordered Ni No Kuni. But *that's it*. No more. Promise.
    Sooooo tempted by those two.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 13:52:41
    yeah i had Ni no kuni preodered since july, i'm actually thinking of cancelling it and getting a cheaper game. And waiting for a price drop. Not sure yet as its the only game i have genuinely wanted day one for a long time.
  • Syrette 26 Jan 2013 14:06:58 43,450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Hopefully you lot can help me choose an alternative.
    RENT.

Will save you £hundreds, and depending on what service you go with, no more than 3 games at a time.

• thenastypasty 26 Jan 2013 14:11:45 5,182 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    TOOTR wrote:
    Hopefully you lot can help me choose an alternative.
    RENT.

Will save you £hundreds, and depending on what service you go with, no more than 3 games at a time.
    I don't think lovefilm will post to Dubai :)
  • TOOTR 26 Jan 2013 14:29:26 9,557 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :) Yeah no renting out here in the sand. Even if there was I never rent or sell the games I own.

I collect them like some lunatic - still have all my BBC B and Spectrum 48K games for example.

It WOULD save me a lot of money true.

I'd save even more if I don't buy anything else until I finish my backlog mind.

• SaucyGeoff 26 Jan 2013 14:45:18 2,576 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    yeah i had Ni no kuni preodered since july, i'm actually thinking of cancelling it and getting a cheaper game. And waiting for a price drop. Not sure yet as its the only game i have genuinely wanted day one for a long time.
    I don't see problems with spending money on games that you are to get stuck into straight away. I see this thread as a place to combat our weakness for buying something then sticking it on thr shelf for 6 months.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 14:45:50 26-01-2013
  • Flying_Pig 26 Jan 2013 14:51:13 10,993 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^ Exactly so.

2013 - The Year of the Backlog.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Jan 2013 15:38:11 14,667 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    I don't see problems with spending money on games that you are to get stuck into straight away. I see this thread as a place to combat our weakness for buying something then sticking it on thr shelf for 6 months.
    :)
    I have Fallout Vegas and Divinity II FOV that I bought on release day*...they are still sealed

*amongst many, many others of course

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 26 Jan 2013 15:48:45 7,140 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

That was my plan too. I have cleared one so far.

Then in march quite a few games are released.

/o\
  • TOOTR 26 Jan 2013 16:29:51 9,557 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN - in terms of old games I have bought and not played yet I have Dead Space and Mirrors Edge! It was either around those release dates or Crackdown 2 that there were enough quality games being released that I couldn't help myself.

I think the sheer glut of 8/10 games over the last 18 months finally made me slow right down as there was no point keeping up any more and the sheen starts to wear off when you realise how cheap everything will be a few 'weeks' after release. Well, that and life and inconsequential things like that.

In terms of monsters that really I could use to tide me over if no new games were released for oh....I don't know...1 year or so I have :

Fallout3, Fallout Vegas, Borderlands2 and...gulp...Skyrim on my backlog.

But these are minor compared to all the 'death of a 1000 cuts' of all the XBLA and Steam sales games.

2013 - Year of the Backlog. Thus was it written, so shall it be.

• andytheadequate 26 Jan 2013 16:43:13 8,169 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Games like that will probably hold their value well.

I've done well this year, not bought any new games. It also means you can enjoy the games you have as well
  • CharlieStCloud 26 Jan 2013 17:02:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I got Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio HD to go through, which I purchased during the crazy winter sale as well as restarting Rage because my save file is gone and I downloaded the campaign add-on that was released a month or so ago.

That's my entire backlog ... \^o^/

Pleased about that because Dead Space is out in two weeks!
  • thenastypasty 26 Jan 2013 17:08:07 5,182 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I got Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio HD to go through, which I purchased during the crazy winter sale as well as restarting Rage because my save file is gone and I downloaded the campaign add-on that was released a month or so ago.

That's my entire backlog ... \^o^/

Pleased about that because Dead Space is out in two weeks!
    You have no place being in here!

/opens door
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:28:15
    andytheadequate wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    Games like that will probably hold their value well.

I've done well this year, not bought any new games. It also means you can enjoy the games you have as well
    i originally thought the game might do a tales of the abyss but i don't think that is going to be the case, the pre-orders for this seems to be really impressive and there should be a nice long run of prints.

thats why i'm now leaning towards picking it up a bit later.
  • Vortex808 26 Jan 2013 20:43:49 7,140 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:

But these are minor compared to all the 'death of a 1000 cuts' of all the XBLA and Steam sales games.

2013 - Year of the Backlog. Thus was it written, so shall it be.
    I don't even want to think about how many untouched xbla games I have on my HDD. Or how much all that MSP cost.

I can't resist an xbla bargain either. I also have lots I bought at full price and have still never played too...
  • Skyrock78 26 Jan 2013 23:43:59 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    About unopened games, somehow every time I buy some parts for my PC, I get another free game in the package. For some reason, I never played any of games I got that way. Some games were quite known at the time, but still I didn't ask for them. So I guess they had no value to me.

Addicted to games for alternative people

• gelf 29 Jan 2013 10:27:24 188 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn steam sale and cheap online deals have left me firmly in this club now. Right now I have on backlog:

PC
    Binary Domain
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Costume Quest
    Darksiders 1 & 2
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    The Longest Journey & Dreamfall
    Siberia 1 & 2
    Just Cause 2
    Tomb Raider Legend & Underworld
    Trine 2
    Ys Origin
    Ben There Dan That & Time Gentlemen Please
    AAaaAAaaAA for the Awesome
    Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII

PS3
    Bayonetta
    Yakuza 4
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend

PSP
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

I very almost bought Dark Souls in the Christmas sales but thought better of it, I'll wait longer for that time sink. I can set myself a rule where if its more then £10 I can wait, unfortunately all the above were less then a tenner when I bought them.

Another problem is looking at that list is its way too "adventurey" and I will probably feel like playing more arcadey fair at some point to break it up a little.
  • northernlights 29 Jan 2013 10:39:43 658 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finding myself enjoying my games more when I'm not buying new ones all the time. Feel I can concentrate and enjoy my current game without rushing it to play the next one
  • andytheadequate 29 Jan 2013 10:45:41 8,169 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    Finding myself enjoying my games more when I'm not buying new ones all the time. Feel I can concentrate and enjoy my current game without rushing it to play the next one
    Likewise. I bought a psp and a pc in the space of 6 weeks so I went a buy mental buying new games. Now that I've stopped I can finally start enjoying them
  • robthehermit 29 Jan 2013 11:04:11 4,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm doing well. I've preordered Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, but I'm trading in Dragons Dogma so really I'm just paying £3.20 for the DLC element. It is my intention to not buy any new games this year, I have a massive backlog which in all honesty could keep me going for the next 2 years. All the money I'm saving by not buying games is going into my secret bank account that Mrs Hermit doesn't know about, and will be used for the purchase of the Xbox 720 or whatever they decide to call it. It may well end up being my first ever release day console.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 11:11:23 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm doing alright so far. Bit gutted to be missing out on Revengeance and GTA V but I have other priorities than game spend at the minute.

Currently playing through Dragon Age Ultimate Edition after completing it about 11 times on the Xbox and I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

When I start hitting the smaller games I've bought over the years I think I'll chew through my back log quite quickly, by which time some of the games I miss out on will be on sale!
  • Murbal 29 Jan 2013 11:11:37 22,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been bad again, after all those promises. But I would have eventually bought Assassins Creed 3, so to get it from Blockies for £13 now made sense - is it going to be that price in 6 months? Possibly not.

Now I'm sorted.

Honest.

Please don't mention the Dark Arisen pre-order price again. Or tempt me with XCOM. I might yet buy XCOM. But then I'm done.

Help me!
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 11:15:58 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *SLAP*

Snap out of it man

And stop wasting money on Assassins Creed games
  • robthehermit 29 Jan 2013 11:17:32 4,075 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think anyone would blame you for spending £14 on the best new IP of last year. That is all the help I can offer.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Murbal 29 Jan 2013 11:17:56 22,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    And stop wasting money on Assassins Creed games
    This *is* my real crime here, I know :-(
  • Page

of 49 First / Last