Good Mech games.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Slabbathepave 18 Jan 2009 00:31:52 488 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Over the last week or so i have been increasingly interested in buying a ' mech ' themed game.

Always had a passing interest in giant robots with gattling guns attached to thier arms (who hasnt?) but never really bought into it. As a result i know next to nothing about this particular genre but would really like to give it a try.

I am certain that alot of you can enlighten me and i hope you do. If you could just give me some names of the better/popular ones with a few links that would be gravy.

Doesnt matter about format i have access to them all.
  • Hunam 18 Jan 2009 00:34:00 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A friend of mine likes Armoured Core For Answer on the 360. It's very hard to get into though.

Not really many mech games around anymore, not like back in the good old days of Mech games and space sims.

Good times.
  • jellyhead 18 Jan 2009 00:35:27 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PC Mechwarrior games are old but great. Up until the arena battle one anyway, i wasn't too keen on that one.
    The PC RTS Mech Commander is freeware now. Have a look around as Microsoft released a dev version a few years ago.
    Chromehounds on 360 gets a lot of love around here.
    HeavyGear is an old PC game.
    SHOGO Mobile Armour Division can be gotten from Good Old Games.
    Steambot chronicles on PS2 is kind of a Mecha based JRPG.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Hunam 18 Jan 2009 00:36:09 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steambot is a winners game.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2009 00:39:33
    Zone of the Enders (PS2)

Amazingly I can't think of any more that are that highly thought of. Armored Core 4 (360/PS3) and Dynasty Warriors:Gundam (360/PS3) both have their cult followings, but aren't that well liked elsewhere.

MGS4 has mechs in it, you get to control one for a short while, but it's rather cumbersome
  • jellyhead 18 Jan 2009 00:40:22 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shogo
    Mech Commander 2 Source Code. don't worry the exe files to run it are there too.
    Chromehounds
    Armoured Core wiki as there's a few games across a couple of systems.

Mecha Games at wiki should help get you started on digging out some more.

• Petrarch 18 Jan 2009 00:42:06 3,425 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    PC Mechwarrior games are old but great. Up until the arena battle one anyway, i wasn't too keen on that one.

It was Mechwarrior 4 that finally burst the bubble for me. The acting in it is atrocious and to this day it's still easily the worst I've ever seen in a video game.

If there's anything out there that's actually worse, then I don't want to see it....
  • repairmanjack 18 Jan 2009 00:43:50 5,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chromehounds is fantastic. Just don't read the review of it on this website.
  • jellyhead 18 Jan 2009 00:45:18 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Petrach:
    I know, I didn't buy it.
    I go around a friend's house now and then, he still plays it and i'm reminded of why i didn't buy it. Sure they've dated but that one was just all kinds of wrong :)

• GloatingSwine 18 Jan 2009 00:46:00 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    However, Chromehounds does have a horrible singleplayer game. The real meat and potatoes is the online game, and I'm not sure how large or active the community is any more.
  • jellyhead 18 Jan 2009 00:47:06 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lost Planet has mecha in it but isn't a mecha game. Yes?

• Xerx3s 18 Jan 2009 00:51:20 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The battletech games is as good as it gets. The multiplayer was just awesome. The xbox1 versions where oke as well for as good as one can expect from a console game.

Interestingly ms has 'sold/rented/whatever' the fasa licences back to the ones that formed a new studio so perhaps there is a future.
  • michaelius 18 Jan 2009 01:02:43 809 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mecha games on console = failure you need keybord and mouse to get proper simulation (sigh AC4 was one of first things i tried after buying ps3 but it had freaking auto aiming in it)

So Mechwarrior series on pc is your best bet.
  • JediMasterMalik 18 Jan 2009 01:04:43 11,826 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZoE and ZoE Second runner.
  • Slabbathepave 18 Jan 2009 01:09:18 488 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone here played Steel battalion on the x-box? i remember seeing it advertised and was pretty impressed with its potential, the huge rig with all those buttons and joysticks seemed like a real challenge.
  • Xerx3s 18 Jan 2009 11:11:04 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, just forgot about this: Mech Warrior: Living Legends, a total conversion mod for crysis. Should be out pretty soon.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5BvuCknfs&feature=related
  • SirScratchalot 18 Jan 2009 11:17:46 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The front mission games on the DS are pretty durn great and full of mechs.
  • jellyhead 18 Jan 2009 11:23:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hot damn, xerxes! That might make me buy Crysis!

/ jumps up and down in glee

SirS, Front Mission. How could i forget the little turn-based strategy RPG with mechs?!

• Xerx3s 18 Jan 2009 12:10:54 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Hot damn, xerxes! That might make me buy Crysis!

/ jumps up and down in glee

SirS, Front Mission. How could i forget the little turn-based strategy RPG with mechs?!

My thoughts exactly. I was not impressed by crysis but this will most likely make me buy it. After all, a full action next gen graphics battletech game? For only 15 euro's or something? Pure win I'd say.

I hope that they implement all the strategic options that you had in the old games as it really made the MP very well thought through.

Also, the voice notification system was pure awesome as well.

I wish they put the original games on gog.com. :(
  • ripsa 18 Jan 2009 12:17:09 288 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kojima's Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner was one of the most critically acclaimed mech games. If you're into anime and hectic sci-fi combat it's a great game. The Armored Core games on the PS2 are also good and can be picked up for quite cheap now as well.
  • Cappy 18 Jan 2009 12:33:23 11,828 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steambot Chronicles is great as are the Zone of the Enders games.

The strategy side is well served also, Front Mission 3 and 4 offer two distinct flavours of turn based mech combat. Sadly, Front Mission 5 was Japan only.

Ring of Red another strategy title is pretty slow going but really captures the heavy cumbersome feel of large war machines. Everything is slow and ponderous like wading through glue, punctuated by sudden outbursts of violence when you switch from ranged weapons to a sudden surprise close range melee attack.

It sounds so frustrating but there is a peculiar sense of tension as your sights drop down and you realise the enemy is probably doing the same, do you fire now whilst your gunner is still adjusting the sights to beat them to the punch? Or nervously wait it out for that perfectly aimed hit that will destroy their main weapon? Perhaps you can send your infantry forward to distract them for a bit, hope the poor guys don't get cut to pieces...
  • repairmanjack 18 Jan 2009 12:34:05 5,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    +1 to Ring of Red!
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jan 2009 15:59:23 5,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another vote for Ring of Red, ace game. Careful turn-based strategy coupled with tense real-time fights.
  • konniehuqfan 18 Jan 2009 17:24:48 37 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    assault suits valken (old but great snes game)
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jan 2009 17:59:49 5,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cybernator to us non-Japanese!
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Jan 2009 20:09:27 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up two PS3 copies of Armored Core 4 Answer last week - 23 each @ Amazon.
    Still go to post onto my mate, then it'll be co-op banter !

Unfortunately, it's back up to 40 now, but it should be 25(PS3)/20(360) in your nearest Gamestation.

I'll add my support to RoR, FM3 and ZOE 2, unless DW Gundam 2 tickles your fancy ! :)
  • Ged42 26 Jan 2009 09:07:01 7,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is Armored Core 4 Answer any good OldschoolSoviet, that enormous mecha in the trailer looked awesome.

Personally I think THIS should be in the next Mechwarrior game.
  • boo 26 Jan 2009 09:35:00 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slabbathepave wrote:
    Has anyone here played Steel battalion on the x-box? i remember seeing it advertised and was pretty impressed with its potential, the huge rig with all those buttons and joysticks seemed like a real challenge.

/looks at minty-fresh condition box in loft

Yes!

It's a pain to set up - the controller's in three pieces which need putting together, and as there's pedals as well, you either need to sit with a table in front of you or a board on your lap to support the controller (it's huge).

But the game itself... Novel to begin with, but the novelty wears off quite quickly.

Just Another Lego Blog

• mrharvest 26 Jan 2009 09:53:37 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    konniehuqfan wrote:
    assault suits valken (old but great snes game)
    Front Mission Gun Hazard is imo a better game in the same genre.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous