Barack H. Obama - Jan 20th Inauguration Day Thread Page 13

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• JediMasterMalik 20 Jan 2009 18:56:13 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Toonster wrote:
    rick warren was ok, aretha was meh, quartet was wonderful, oath was both awesome and fail, speech was great, poem was shit, black sean connery was amazing

A good appraisal imo :)

The speech had some great lines and quips in it and didn't hesitate in disparaging the cunt sat a few feet to his rear. I found a wee tear well up in my eye towards the end of it. For a cynic like me that's quite the event, and I'm hoping my cynicism will have reason to stay muted under this man's leadership.

I didn't realise you were so malleable. ;)

I agree though, hopefully he'll do good things.
  • phAge 20 Jan 2009 18:57:28 24,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was a great ceremony, and despite my reservations about Obama coming across as a bit of a smug git to begin with, I must admit that I find it hard not to believe that he will make a lot of positive changes to the way the US... works.

His speech was somewhat ruined by the darker side of my mind, though. Kept wondering what would happen to the world if he was sniped in the middle of the speech. Oh well - GOBAMA!
  • Deleted user 20 January 2009 18:59:40
    sirtacos wrote:
    His speech today was pretty good. Too bad my fucking alarm didn't go off; I woke up at 12 and missed him being sworn in. I only caught the last 10 minutes of his address.

Kinda feel bad for George, though. He's being whisked off to Texas in a plane as we speak. What happens when he gets home to a cold, empty (not White) house? What does he do then? I'd probably sigh, sit down and open up a bottle of whiskey while blankly staring at the wall and remembering my glory days as the most powerful man in the world.
    All the while, Obama is having the greatest day of his life.

Or alternatively he'll be having a great time of it whilst Obama is knee deep dealing with the shitpile Bush has left him with.
  • twelveways 20 Jan 2009 19:03:06 3,505 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    His name sounds a bit like Osama
  • sirtacos 20 Jan 2009 19:05:08 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and the poem? WTF?

A chimp smearing its own excrement on a sheet of A4 paper would produce more evocative poetry.

"What if the mightiest word is "love", love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light." "the glittering edifices they would then keep clean and work inside of."

The only way Elizabeth Alexander could have done a worse job at reading her own work was if she had stumbled onto the stage with the hiccups while drunk.
  • souljah 20 Jan 2009 19:05:14 4,701 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:

Or alternatively he'll be having a great time of it whilst Obama is knee deep dealing with the shitpile Bush has left him with.

In more ways than one!!
  • sirtacos 20 Jan 2009 19:07:56 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    souljah wrote:
    nekotcha wrote:

In more ways than one!!

Glol
  • Razz 20 Jan 2009 19:08:07 59,995 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• warlockuk 20 Jan 2009 19:09:26 19,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Congrats to the septics for getting someone they voted for :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• JediMasterMalik 20 Jan 2009 19:11:39 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:

Someone call the ambulance, they're septic!

You mean skeptic ;)
  • morriss 20 Jan 2009 19:19:15 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No.
  • morriss 20 Jan 2009 19:20:07 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JediMasterMalik wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

You mean skeptic ;)
    Sceptic tank. Yank. American.
  • warlockuk 20 Jan 2009 19:25:42 19,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, what they said :D *points up to "septic tank"

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• jellyhead 20 Jan 2009 19:35:56 24,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    His speech today was pretty good. Too bad my fucking alarm didn't go off; I woke up at 12 and missed him being sworn in. I only caught the last 10 minutes of his address.

Kinda feel bad for George, though. He's being whisked off to Texas in a plane as we speak. What happens when he gets home to a cold, empty (not White) house? What does he do then? I'd probably sigh, sit down and open up a bottle of whiskey while blankly staring at the wall and remembering my glory days as the most powerful man in the world.
    Bush will be with his dad planning the campaign to get his brother Jeb elected next.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• warlockuk 20 Jan 2009 19:40:10 19,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And his campaign will be "JESUS LOVES A HONKEY!" or sommat.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Red-Moose 20 Jan 2009 19:50:57 5,345 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is Obama still fucking amazing now that everything is changed? Wow it's fucking sunny outside and not raining! IT'S A FUCKING MIRACLE!
  • Deleted user 20 January 2009 19:51:41
    So I missed all this (knew it was happening).

Did anyone shoot him?
  • Pirotic Moderator 20 Jan 2009 19:53:54 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, but he messed up his acceptance by forgetting one of only 4 very short lines an then butting in before the other guy had finished saying them. Only nobody mentions it on the news :p
  • HoriZon 20 Jan 2009 19:57:01 13,461 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    No, but he messed up his acceptance by forgetting one of only 4 very short lines an then butting in before the other guy had finished saying them. Only nobody mentions it on the news :p

They did on the BBC, they called it a nervous Barack Obama.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Onny 20 Jan 2009 20:01:45 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    I wonder how long it will be before the conspiracy theorists start saying "HE'S NOT PRESIDENT HE DIDN'T DO THE SWEARING IN BIT RIGHT".

:)
  • Pirotic Moderator 20 Jan 2009 20:03:39 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was a ploy, while the other guy was repeating the line he clearly muttered 'and kill the infidels' under his breath. And he had his toes crossed.

I kind of liked the fact he messed up, when he walked on to that huge crowed, I remember thinking how bloody petrified I'd be, yet he looked cool as a cucumber. At least it shows he's human, which might piss on a few American bonfires.
  • JediMasterMalik 20 Jan 2009 20:05:34 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    JediMasterMalik wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

You mean skeptic ;)
    Sceptic tank. Yank. American.

Sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
  • Pirotic Moderator 20 Jan 2009 20:06:29 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    you would say that you cheney.
  • sirtacos 20 Jan 2009 20:12:11 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:

Apparently the other guy messed up first:

"But Obama stopped abruptly when Roberts reversed some of the words of the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution. The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States," but Roberts misplaced the word "faithfully," saying it only after he said "president of the United States."

Obama appeared to realize something wasn't right and stopped at the word "execute."

Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute." Obama then repeated Roberts's original, incorrect version putting the word "faithfully" after president of the United States. They continued on from there."
  • HoriZon 20 Jan 2009 20:15:18 13,461 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:

Apparently the other guy messed up first:

"But Obama stopped abruptly when Roberts reversed some of the words of the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution. The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States," but Roberts misplaced the word "faithfully," saying it only after he said "president of the United States."

Obama appeared to realize something wasn't right and stopped at the word "execute."

Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute." Obama then repeated Roberts's original, incorrect version putting the word "faithfully" after president of the United States. They continued on from there."

FRAUD ACTIONS!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• ronuds 20 Jan 2009 20:22:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:

Are you kidding? GWB is the happiest guy in the world right now. Would you want to stay in a job that made the entire world hate your guts? At least he can slither away quietly now.
  • sirtacos 20 Jan 2009 20:41:54 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:

Are you kidding? GWB is the happiest guy in the world right now. Would you want to stay in a job that made the entire world hate your guts? At least he can slither away quietly now.

...without the constant protection of the Secret Service or the comforting bubble of the Oval Office (relative to his life as a 'citizen' where he will very quickly become personally acquainted with the general public dislike for him).

As long as he exercises an important official function, he can ignore the hate. Once that's over, all he has left is his shitty legacy.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2009 20:43:31
    Gutted I missed the whole thing live, really. Is there anywhere I can see good quality footage of pretty much the whole event? Has it been put up officially anywhere?
  • LetsGo 20 Jan 2009 20:44:27 5,074 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Someone tell me Aretha Franklin isnt singing 'God Save the Queen'!

old?

is this an old american song? it sounds just like our national tune (with diff. words).
  • Page

of 15 First / Last