Motorsport Page 761

• Page

of 875 First / Last

• brokenkey 18 Mar 2014 11:42:37 7,090 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    "The only way to get more sound out of the cars is to get more revs out of them. More revs means more fuel, which Christian's team knows all about."
    Not entirely true, a different diameter exhaust would change things quite a bit, but it would also be impossible at this stage because how the cars are packaged.
    They could get these homologated

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• TheSaint 18 Mar 2014 11:56:50 14,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't they just drill some holes in the exhaust system like the chavs at the local McDonalds car park?
  • dsmx 18 Mar 2014 19:09:49 7,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is though noise is bad, it's wasted energy that could be making the car faster. While I love the sound that last years cars made I'm also aware that all that sound is simply wasted energy that could be making the car go faster round the track.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• kentmonkey 18 Mar 2014 19:14:17 20,800 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    "The only way to get more sound out of the cars is to get more revs out of them. More revs means more fuel, which Christian's team knows all about."
    Not entirely true, a different diameter exhaust would change things quite a bit, but it would also be impossible at this stage because how the cars are packaged.
    True although to be fair to him I think he was talking about 'genuine' sound enhancement, that had an impact on the performance of the vehicle as well, versus something fake that's just there (mainly) to make a car sound different.

While I prefered the sound of the original F1 cars, and can see why those that go to a live event will lose some of the experience (they sounded like motocross bikes at times), if the cars don't need to make that much noise anymore what's the point of making a noise just because? All the while it was there it was fantastic. Now it's not, it's not.
  • Bremenacht 18 Mar 2014 20:48:10 18,793 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    SadPSPAddict wrote:
    I just personally don't understand the obsession with the noise the cars make.
    Have you ever been to a race? Start aside I can't say I really care much about the TV noise (although it was a disappointment to me), however, at the track it makes up a massive part of the atmosphere and excitement.
    Yeah. There was a lovely correlation between the engine noise and the speed. The doppler effect was really pronounced. peeeeeeeeeeeeEEEYOWWWWWWWWwwwww.. lovely. Through your skull and down your spine. You got the impression of an engine at it's absolute limit - massive energy trying to tear the axle off the car, but somehow propelling it forward instead. Listen to that video of Webber starting up the car for the last time, and then revs causing the exhausts to glow white-hot. Thrilling.

Current ones could be high-speed dustcarts, for how they sound. Given how much more torque I imagine they put down, and much more ferocious they should be accelerating, the sound doesn't match the car. It's not special.

Edited by Bremenacht at 20:49:09 18-03-2014
  • AaronTurner 18 Mar 2014 21:17:19 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's the point in artificially creating noise? Anyway, why the concern about the environment regarding fuel efficiency and not noise nuisance?
  • Bremenacht 18 Mar 2014 21:28:51 18,793 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't say they should. Having said that, almost all modern sports cars have tuned exhausts to give a car 'character', so why not?

Noise nuisance???!!?? Err. Yes please. Lots of it.
  • SadPSPAddict 21 Mar 2014 13:29:30 128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    SadPSPAddict wrote:
    I just personally don't understand the obsession with the noise the cars make.
    Have you ever been to a race? Start aside I can't say I really care much about the TV noise (although it was a disappointment to me), however, at the track it makes up a massive part of the atmosphere and excitement.
    Yes I have been to races and although I wasn't at Australia to hear the new noise in person I have to disagree that's its a "massive" part. Plays it's part sure but not to the extent people are getting so upset about. Maybe it's just me :)
  • Psychotext 21 Mar 2014 14:07:04 54,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard a lot of complaints from people who were actually there, so maybe.
  • shamblemonkee 21 Mar 2014 14:13:43 14,501 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Change is always resisted - we'll get used to it in time. noise has always been an integral part of the atmosphere of racing - you can't deny that hearing the scream of these cars apprach didn't create a buzz.

However i don't think they need to be anywhere near as loud as they were, just louder than they are. For me the noise was an extra, what attracted me to F1 originall yin the 80s was the obvious display of skill at keeping these insane cars on the track at the limit - it looked dangerous - that was exciting, the noise was supplementary.
  • BillMurray 21 Mar 2014 14:32:35 7,814 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know it's quite different to cars that have their noise reduced but would a race series comprising of only electric cars appeal to anyone or is that a step too far? I personally would be terribly bored with hardly any noise at all trackside, apart from the sound of tires on the track.
  • Psychotext 21 Mar 2014 14:36:08 54,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The racing would have to be phenomenal. I doubt an open wheeler series could ever be good enough to make me want to watch silent cars.
  • shamblemonkee 21 Mar 2014 15:21:53 14,501 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BillMurray well you'll find out soon enough as Formula E starts this summer. It's mostly being held in capital cities and is a two sprint races at each location i think.

From the promo videos i've seen the cars have a pronouncced electric whine like a milk float but not much else.

I think ITV 4 have picked it up.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:23:34 21-03-2014
  • AceGrace 21 Mar 2014 16:11:45 1,210 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite like the whining sound .

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• superdelphinus 21 Mar 2014 17:17:45 8,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the sound of the new PUs, there's just not enough volume
  • urban 21 Mar 2014 17:34:34 10,984 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    +1

Could be the mic setup on track side being set for the ridiculous Db levels of last year

Edited by urban at 17:35:03 21-03-2014
  • Psychotext 21 Mar 2014 20:56:34 54,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They could increase the sensitivity, but from what I hear from those who were at the track, they're just plain quiet. In the end you'd just increase the level of everything else, which probably wouldn't be ideal.
  • thelzdking 21 Mar 2014 21:09:50 4,378 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe the people who are complaining about the volume are just a vocal minority, shouting because they've gone half-deaf.
  • Psychotext 21 Mar 2014 21:12:39 54,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm old, so not only am I deaf but I hate change too.
  • superdelphinus 21 Mar 2014 22:29:54 8,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dis somebody say something?
  • altitude2k 23 Mar 2014 08:06:31 4,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So is the sound of the engines this year's "Sky vs BBC"?
  • Kostabi 23 Mar 2014 09:00:46 4,986 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just be glad it's not the Motogp Factory vs Open argument that's going on in places. Now that's fucking tedious.
  • superdelphinus 23 Mar 2014 09:59:12 8,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Though I wish there was more volume, I definitely don't want them to start pissing about with it in-season. They could just look at it again when development is opened up again
  • urban 23 Mar 2014 10:44:33 10,984 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get the controversy over how loud the engines are, surely it doesn't matter if they still produce good races?
  • Kostabi 23 Mar 2014 10:50:13 4,986 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's mostly because for the best part of a decade or more F1's signature has really been stupid speeds coupled with ear splitting sound. I wager you could play the sound of a V10 (or V8) wailing past a microphone and nearly everyone would say it was an F1 car. Regardless of volume the new engines just aren't as distinctive.
  • TheSaint 23 Mar 2014 10:53:24 14,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    I don't get the controversy over how loud the engines are, surely it doesn't matter if they still produce good races?
    True, they don't make much difference on TV. I think the real issue is that tracks are worried that they have paid a fortune to host a race and people aren't going to pay 200 a ticket to watch a bunch of cars that are quieter than the local motorway.
  • superdelphinus 23 Mar 2014 11:46:39 8,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Imagine a World Cup final carried out in complete silence, the football might be great but there will still be a lot missing from the spectacle. Noise is part of the soul of f1
  • altitude2k 23 Mar 2014 11:48:47 4,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Just be glad it's not the Motogp Factory vs Open argument that's going on in places. Now that's fucking tedious.
    It's literally 50% of a proper motorsport. Not worth getting worked up over.
  • FWB 23 Mar 2014 11:55:14 44,858 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I was still watching this, which I'm not cos of the moronic double points, I'd just make the noises myself. Would make it more interactive.

Vrooooooom, vroooom, vroooooooooooom, vroom, vroom, vroom, vrooooooooooom

Guess the circuit and corner.
  • superdelphinus 23 Mar 2014 12:01:41 8,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Turn 1 at montmelo
  • Page

of 875 First / Last