Motorsport Page 721

• Page

of 861 First / Last

• Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 17:57:59 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Just watched the highlights. Don't know what's happened to Alonso but I didn't think it's worthy of punishment, he came out alongside the other car and you are meant to leave space for one car alongside you on the track.
    I think he bent that rule as far as it can be bent. He'd have known the racing line would take Vergne to the outside, and drove hard to put himself there and claim exemption. Clever driving. Very brave too - it could have gone wrong.
  • kentmonkey 3 Nov 2013 18:13:53 20,721 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was a fucking awful race. Really shit track and I'm going to claim back two hours of my life each year by not watching it again.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2013 18:35:49 7,764 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Just watched the highlights. Don't know what's happened to Alonso but I didn't think it's worthy of punishment, he came out alongside the other car and you are meant to leave space for one car alongside you on the track.
    I think he bent that rule as far as it can be bent. He'd have known the racing line would take Vergne to the outside, and drove hard to put himself there and claim exemption. Clever driving. Very brave too - it could have gone wrong.
    Don't really see what the racing line has to do with it really, you place your car alongside another and you have the racing line.
  • MMMarmite 3 Nov 2013 19:09:38 1,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vergne was on the racing line and was mostly ahead of Alonso from what I saw until Alonso went off track. I think it was a rash decision from Alonso, he could have easily sat behind Vergne and then just passed him on the first DRS straight without any massive time penalty.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2013 19:21:48 7,764 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait, what does the racing line have to do with this? Isn't it about giving each other space? Just because a car is on the racing line doesn't give it the right to move wherever it should please.

Most overtakes are off the racing line, I don't get it.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2013 19:23:34
    kentmonkey wrote:
    That was a fucking awful race. Really shit track and I'm going to claim back two hours of my life each year by not watching it again.
    Abu Dhabi is one of the dullest tracks on the calendar. Even the India track is better. Maybe they should drop it, but they won't, as Ferrari world is there, and i get the impression it's one of those places that goes down well with the rich. As Eddie Jordan pointed out, bands tend to play there a lot also, like that has anything to do with motor racing.

Edited by blacksea at 19:25:13 03-11-2013
  • TheSaint 3 Nov 2013 19:45:40 14,498 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Visually it does look amazing though. Quite tempted to try and go next year, bit of October sunshine and a GP even if the circuit isn't the best.
  • MMMarmite 3 Nov 2013 20:14:09 1,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Wait, what does the racing line have to do with this? Isn't it about giving each other space? Just because a car is on the racing line doesn't give it the right to move wherever it should please.

Vergne was on the racing line so Alonso should really have expected him to use the full width of the track, just seems like a silly position to put himself in rather than just waiting a couple more corners.

These sort of incidents happen so often with most drivers claiming he didn't see the other, you'd think they'd learn by now or recognise the chance of it happening ;)

Edited by MMMarmite at 20:19:58 03-11-2013
  • Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 20:24:58 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:

Just because one car is on the racing line doesn't mean another car has to go off-track to avoid it. I'm pretty sure a driver like Maldonado, or any lesser driver, would be penalised for doing what Alonso did.
  • Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 20:25:42 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Visually it does look amazing though. Quite tempted to try and go next year, bit of October sunshine and a GP even if the circuit isn't the best.
    I'm hoping TOOTR will post something about it. He's had a full weekend there.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2013 20:50:35 7,764 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still don't understand what the racing line has to do with it. The rule is that you have to leave one cars width if a car is alongside you.

Anyway, I thought it was quite exciting and it livened up a dull race.
  • Grax 3 Nov 2013 21:01:26 2,296 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sutil jumping two cars whilst being off the track is a much bigger controversy, Alonso didn't gain any time when he left the track
  • MMMarmite 3 Nov 2013 21:06:03 1,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AaronTurner the racing line is just that, the optimal line to get around the track. If Vergne didn't see Alonso was alongside (which he will inevitably say happened) then he would continue to travel on the racing line expecting Alonso to be behind him.

Alonso then had the choice to either go off-track or pull out of the attempted pass, he chose the former and gained an advantage which people though he'd be penalised for.

@Grax - Agreed, even though he was pushed out by Maldonado he should have at least given up the place to Perez who managed to actually drive around the corner.

Edited by MMMarmite at 21:07:39 03-11-2013
  • Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 21:38:39 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    Sutil jumping two cars whilst being off the track is a much bigger controversy, Alonso didn't gain any time when he left the track
    No, but he did gain position. Vergne had the inside line for the next corner, until Alonso pulled alongside - off the track.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing. It was very good though - as exciting as Alonso's fight with Webber into Eau Rouge.

Just saying I think he was very lucky to get away with it.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2013 22:02:03 7,764 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't say that was my take on it, Alonso was already alongside him on the track before being forced off it. My reading would be if a car is alongside you on the track then you have to give it room, gone are the days where you're allowed to force people off.

Anyway, it is what it is and it hasn't been penalised.
  • MMMarmite 3 Nov 2013 22:13:58 1,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good news for F1 fans is that Kimi will be racing in the last few races, Lotus have done the deal with Quantum and I guess agreed terms with Kimi. Apparently also targeting Hulkenberg for next season.

Edited by MMMarmite at 22:14:24 03-11-2013
  • brokenkey 3 Nov 2013 22:25:39 7,061 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Webber's not very good at the donuts thing. Not a patch on Vettel.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Saucy 3 Nov 2013 22:51:24 2,584 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Webber looks like a guy who can't wait for the season to be over. He got closer than I expected this weekend, at least in Quali, he's usually been pretty average at Abu Dhabi. After last year I expect Seb to be super motivated for Texas, but might stick a few pennies on Mark to sign off with a win in Brazil.
  • DanB24 3 Nov 2013 22:52:15 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24798485
    Wow that really was a big bump over those kerbs!
    Luckily it seems he's ok.
  • Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 23:06:14 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alonso experienced vertical 28G in the impact.
    Fuck!! That is quite incredible. He's probably lost a few mm in height!
  • Kostabi 4 Nov 2013 19:23:11 4,932 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    87 points bitches! :p

/raises finger
  • Rusty_M 4 Nov 2013 20:02:14 4,707 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damnit. I dropped to third in the league

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Mekanik 7 Nov 2013 18:42:13 3,572 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oooh. Just looked for first time since last race. Second!!! Get in.

Despite being unable to change my predictions from the previous race due to no internet at home. Go figure....
  • Rusty_M 7 Nov 2013 19:13:10 4,707 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not changed mine in about five races :)

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• altitude2k 8 Nov 2013 09:32:24 4,411 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Man I love being right sometimes:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/infiniti-vettels-dominance-bad-news-now
  • Kostabi 10 Nov 2013 09:31:16 4,932 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So just days after Raikkonen has his Ferrari seat fitting he announces he will miss the rest of the season to have back surgery. After all the bluster and back and forth between himself and Lotus isn't this all just a bit... convenient?

Autosport
  • DanB24 10 Nov 2013 11:00:57 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    His back problems have been reported throughout the the year and your health's gotta come 1st right?
    And after all F*** fake Lotus.
  • altitude2k 10 Nov 2013 11:06:35 4,411 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Either this is just a convenient way out of Lotus for Kimi for 2013, or Ferrari have just bought a dud.

I suspect they have made a mistake dropping Massa, actually. And an even bigger mistake not replacing him with Hulkenberg.

Edited by altitude2k at 11:07:12 10-11-2013
  • kentmonkey 10 Nov 2013 12:03:16 20,721 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raikkonen has been struggling for weeks with a bad back, and up until that point he'd been performing brilliantly - arguably the best driver on the circuit considering the car he had.

Grosjean has got better, but I still think Kimi would be outperforming him if it wasn't for the pain.

He'll get that sorted, and I think he'll really challenge Alonso next year, and probably even outperform him, at least initially. I think Alonso is immensely talented, but he's been driving by the numbers sometimes this year. He needs a new challenge. That could be at another team, or it could be Kimi pushing him harder than Massa. He won't want to come second.
  • SolidSCB 10 Nov 2013 12:17:29 6,775 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's funny how people still live off that little lull between the second half of 2008 and the first half of 2009 when Ferrari were already making room for Alonso as a measure of the man. He's arguably the best driver in the field and would be a multiple world champion if not for some spectacularly bad luck over the earlier part of his career. To call him a 'dud' is so wide of the mark it's untrue.
  • Page

of 861 First / Last