Motorsport Page 688

• Page

of 861 First / Last

• urban 9 Jul 2013 18:32:04 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indy pit stops are not safer than F1 pit stops and they are slower.

I think we're in a pretty damn good position at the moment, better wheel nuts is what we need.
  • Kostabi 9 Jul 2013 18:57:44 4,932 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indy pit stops have their own particular set of issues when it comes to safety, mostly to do with refuelling and jumping over the wall. However if F1 kept the pit box of men but removed the front jack and a couple of wheel men it would be a safer environment. Less people in the area of a fire or errant bouncing wheel has to be a good thing.

The real problem is that everyone is so obsessed with super fast stops nobody wants to make any meaningful changes.
  • mal 9 Jul 2013 19:19:16 22,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Personally, I'd be in favour of some sort of computerised system that could collate the observations from two or three spotters. As is, making sure all the four gunners are sorted (over about a 45 degree field of view) while checking no-one's coming at release over the front left gunner's shoulder, while not wasting even a tenth of a second and mistakes are bound to happen. Give the jack man a light he can view which doesn't go green until both sides of gunners have finished and a separate spotter checks for pit lane traffic. There are enough cameras - it doesn't mean more people in the pit lane. Sod it, you could do it with three switches, a 9V battery, a greeb bulb and a couple yards of wire.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 10 Jul 2013 02:18:49 54,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know where the Germans tend to keep their TV shows etc online? Would really like to find the German coverage of the race but I'm not having much luck.
  • altitude2k 10 Jul 2013 18:39:23 4,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After giving it some thought, I'm increasingly losing my interest in the F1 season this year. Each race it seems is more like an ongoing experiment, and it just seems to get worse. Major fuck-ups and tyre changes are dominating each race, and if they're not happening they're talking about it.

Rules changes between seasons is par for the course in F1, but to have the goalposts constantly changing mid-season is making me want to tune out. I honestly wonder if there's much genuine honour in winning either championship this year...
  • DanB24 10 Jul 2013 18:48:55 2,033 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vettel running away with the championship again zzzZZZZzzzz is probably the main problem.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jul 2013 18:53:21 20,718 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I too am losing interest this year.

Undoubtedly for me it's a tyres thing, and I'm not blaming Pirelli there.

It's now not become so much about the driver, or the top-tech machinery they have, it's about who can make the tyres last longest and put the ideal amount of heat into them. That appears to be about it.

The field has been split out into three (potential winners, mid teams, backmarkers) and order appears to be sorted by who can make the tyres work best for them on that day. It's a bit boring really.
  • Ashleyfiddes 10 Jul 2013 19:41:00 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This season reminds me of 2011 where Vettel just ran away with Tito such an extent that it just become boring, it has been less of a case this year but it does seem to be if he leads he wins

I just think its a general dislike of Vettel in general
  • superdelphinus 10 Jul 2013 19:56:46 8,074 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair f1 has barely ever been about the driver, and a lot of the current issues are coming from steps to make it more about the driver
  • urban 10 Jul 2013 19:59:41 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kostabi also make camera men where chrome helmets and golden jumpsuits...
  • altitude2k 10 Jul 2013 19:59:50 4,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't hate Vettel, I just hate what he and RB have made F1 into - predictable and dull. I know...what else are they going to do? Do any other than be as good as they can? Regardless of why, it's still made it less of a spectacle, much like the Schumacher days.

That's why I was on my feet in the stands, cheering as loud as I could when Vettel retired at Silverstone. Not because I don't like him, but because after Hamilton's tyre blow out we were left with the prospect of him winning yet again, made more irritating by the fact that he didn't even earn that lead.

It was a much better race for it.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jul 2013 20:35:50 6,771 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The problem is that Red Bull have been the one constant at the front of the pack, wheras Lotus, Ferrari and Mercedes have chopped and changed between strong weekends and shit weekends, and it has allowed Red Bull/Vettel to stream away into the lead. I don't think Mercedes help matters either. In qualifying it is a foregone conclusion that they'll be at the front of the grid, but in the race (bar 2 anomolies) they are effectively roadblocks and it fucks up any chance of Lotus or Ferrari utilising their race pace for most of the first stint and leaves them playing catch up for the rest of the race.

Vettel has pretty much got this championship in the bag. I hope Raikkonen takes up that second Red Bull spot next year though. The last time he was in a Newey car he made the rest of the field look like mugs when the engine didn't implode on him.
  • superdelphinus 10 Jul 2013 20:41:21 8,074 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Kimi will get destroyed by vettel personally
  • mal 10 Jul 2013 20:41:37 22,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno. It's hard to hate RB for just being very good at their jobs. While the other teams always have circuits they're good at and ones they're not, RB seem to be very good at analysing the data they get and setting up their cars for the next race with less trial and error than other teams. Course, does help that they can spend more money than other teams, but at least this year there's actually some action on the track to entertain us, unlike 2011.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ashleyfiddes 10 Jul 2013 20:56:56 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know you can't hate rb for winning its their attitude that pisses me off and when I watch Horner or Vettel I just want to punch them in their smug face (excuse the violance I can't help myself)
  • Psychotext 10 Jul 2013 21:24:20 54,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must be missing something, we've had some fantastic races this year and we're off the back of another fairly exciting one on Sunday.

Sure, if you only care about the drivers championship then it might not be great, but the actual races, I've got few complaints.
  • Ashleyfiddes 10 Jul 2013 21:25:38 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Races have been fantastic I just get annoyed with the results
  • Mekanik 11 Jul 2013 18:51:38 3,572 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Course, does help that they can spend more money than other teams,
    This.

Although I am sure merc and Ferrari are spending a decent amount right now.

Next year will be more interesting due to all the changes. Although I do think Newey will be the ace in the hole for RB. Hopefully he wont go to Ferrari in time for vettel to join him. Then it will be dull because Ferrari win all the time...

I wish Merc would sort out their tyre problems. At least you would see Hammy and probably Rosberg mixing it up with Vettel and putting him under some real pressure. I would not begrudge Vettel any wins if he was actually being regularly challenged by other teams/drivers.
  • superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 20:37:08 8,074 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext genuinely interested to know which races you thought have been fantastic? I don't give a shyte about either of the championships or any of the drivers as long as it's reasonably close and there's some drama. Only thing vaguely approaching an actual race I can think of this season is the last 7 or 8 laps of Silverstone, but then I have a terrible memory.

I do agree that this season does seem to have been a bit of a mess. Messed up calendar meaning we keep getting 3 week breaks, which isn't conducive to a bit of momentum getting up, tyres that are so complicated that no one wants to race hard with them ever, cheating teams, flip flopping FIA. Icing on the cake is rbr cruising to more titles whilst everyone else pisses about from one race to the next. not vintage by any stretch of the imagination. I'd imagine the only happy people are vettel and his minions
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 19:08:06
    So the BBC wrote back, in connection with their error of revealing who got pole position, prior to airing the F1 highlights of the Qualifying.

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us about BBC One’s Wimbledon 2013 coverage, specifically a Formula One trail which was broadcast during our programme on the afternoon of 6 July.

We were naturally very sorry to learn of viewer unhappiness over the content of the trail, so we immediately reviewed the programme segment and raised the concerns with the senior management team responsible within BBC Sport.

The reference to Lewis Hamilton having secured pole position in the Formula One German Grand Prix Qualifying earlier that day was an unfortunate error made by the Wimbledon production team.

The intention was to promote BBC One’s coverage of the German Grand Prix Final the following day, but in doing so the team failed to realise that at that point BBC One’s highlights of the Qualifying had yet to be broadcast.

We apologise for this error and that it affected your enjoyment of our Qualifying highlights programme. As a result of your complaint, BBC Sport have reminded their teams of the importance of checking transmission schedules before such promotions.

Thank you again for getting in touch and allowing us to investigate, respond and apologise for any annoyance caused by the trail.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints
  • Mekanik 13 Jul 2013 10:13:16 3,572 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice.

Bet it still happens again though. :)
  • Psychotext 13 Jul 2013 10:23:31 54,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    @Psychotext genuinely interested to know which races you thought have been fantastic?
    Couldn't tell you off hand, I also have a terrible memory, but I do know that there's only been one race this year which was flat out boring.

Hell, even Monaco was fairly good (for Monaco) by virtue of the overtaking and crashes.
  • altitude2k 13 Jul 2013 10:43:25 4,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    So the BBC wrote back, in connection with their error of revealing who got pole position, prior to airing the F1 highlights of the Qualifying.

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us about BBC One’s Wimbledon 2013 coverage, specifically a Formula One trail which was broadcast during our programme on the afternoon of 6 July.

We were naturally very sorry to learn of viewer unhappiness over the content of the trail, so we immediately reviewed the programme segment and raised the concerns with the senior management team responsible within BBC Sport.

The reference to Lewis Hamilton having secured pole position in the Formula One German Grand Prix Qualifying earlier that day was an unfortunate error made by the Wimbledon production team.

The intention was to promote BBC One’s coverage of the German Grand Prix Final the following day, but in doing so the team failed to realise that at that point BBC One’s highlights of the Qualifying had yet to be broadcast.

We apologise for this error and that it affected your enjoyment of our Qualifying highlights programme. As a result of your complaint, BBC Sport have reminded their teams of the importance of checking transmission schedules before such promotions.

Thank you again for getting in touch and allowing us to investigate, respond and apologise for any annoyance caused by the trail.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints
    Bottom line: tennis presenters understand fuck all about real sport ;-)
  • El_MUERkO 13 Jul 2013 11:10:37 17,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:

Bottom line: tennis presenters understand fuck all about real sport ;-)
    but they know ugly when they see it

/oinkoinkoink
  • Deleted user 15 July 2013 13:04:04
    Anyone watch the Lauda Hunt documentary last night on BBC2? . I Really enjoyed it. Only an hour long, and i found it quite engaging.

Have to say, i could imagine, alastair caldwell entertaining Bernie ecclestone, the devil and enzo ferrari at the dinner table.

James hunt, you could physically see the pent up emotion, adrendaline, in him, everytime he got in a car. just hope rush is good!
  • Nth 15 Jul 2013 14:07:13 3,121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So Sauber have been saved but have to run a Russian 18 year old next year. You couldn't make it up.
  • thelzdking 15 Jul 2013 14:23:21 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Putin himself behind the wheel or GTFO.
  • Stockings 15 Jul 2013 14:40:11 1,060 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Anyone watch the Lauda Hunt documentary last night on BBC2? . I Really enjoyed it. Only an hour long, and i found it quite engaging.

Have to say, i could imagine, alastair caldwell entertaining Bernie ecclestone, the devil and enzo ferrari at the dinner table.

James hunt, you could physically see the pent up emotion, adrendaline, in him, everytime he got in a car. just hope rush is good!
    Missed it, only noticed it was on near the end, hopefully it's available online.
    BBC had another good F1 doc a year or 2 ago about all the deaths and saefty issues inthe 60s and 70s which was a good watch too.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2013 14:46:25
    My annoyance this season has been (as well as Red Bulls continued dominance) Suzi Perry. I'm not sexist but I think she breaks up that fun dynamic that Jake Humphries, Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard had. I just find her monotone, terrible choice for presenting.

Edited by feeg86 at 14:46:41 15-07-2013
  • Ashleyfiddes 15 Jul 2013 15:05:46 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @feeg86 I switched to sky one because I watched an interview he gave with Horner and couldn't help but cringe, then after a really bad qualifying on sky (slimy bastards) I decided to watch silverstone on bbc1 and found her getting a little too close to someone from moto gp
  • Page

of 861 First / Last