Motorsport Page 687

• Page

of 832 First / Last

• superdelphinus 7 Jul 2013 15:18:06 8,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was quite boring, personally. Always the the threat of excitement, without actually having any. Or have I forgotten something
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 15:37:32 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I'm gonna go with Kimi being a rude asshole.

What's that, Ted? A penalty for Red Bull? How about a ban from the "young driver" test...?

Edited by altitude2k at 15:45:07 07-07-2013
  • Nth 7 Jul 2013 16:36:36 3,119 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I thought it was quite boring, personally. Always the the threat of excitement, without actually having any. Or have I forgotten something
    Spot on, found it dull. Can't see anyone beating Seb now for the title.

As for a 3 week gap then a 4 week gap, what ridiculous scheduling is this? No momentum.
  • Kostabi 7 Jul 2013 16:44:42 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's usually a 3 week Summer gap these days but I'd guess some of the scheduling is screwed up because they had to drop New Jersey. Agreed it sucks all the excitement out of things though, especially just as it's closing up on track again.
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 16:49:39 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's 2 lots of 3 week gaps before the actual break of 4 weeks.
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 17:28:52 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    30,000 fine for Red Bull.
  • Kostabi 7 Jul 2013 17:31:55 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shame the cameraman probably won't see any of that.

I still don't get why they were dealt with after the race, especially for the Di Resta release which was about as clear cut as it gets.
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 17:36:03 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kinda got to take that risk with the job, surely?
  • Syrette 7 Jul 2013 17:37:44 43,105 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One day Max Chilton, one day...

• Rusty_M 7 Jul 2013 17:43:47 4,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're out to get revenge on him?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 17:46:39 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    More likely than the other thing.
  • Psychotext 7 Jul 2013 19:03:31 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got back from the track. Can heartily recommend the German GP to anyone, fantastically organised (even to the point that German police were closing down roads one way so as to have better traffic flow).

Enjoyed the race, was exciting right until the end, though I suspect that had a lot to do with the safety car. Really looking forward to seeing the highlights. Managed to get onto the grid pretty easily after the race and managed to see Lauda and Damon Hill, which was cool. Horner wandered past at one point looking surprisingly miserable given they'd just won. Bit disappointed not to see the BBC lot though.

Oh, and no-one around me could understand a word Kimi said in the podium interview. Not that anyone cared, he had loads of support there (they're all batshit mental too, and very drunk!).

Funny when Vettel chucked his cap off and it fell into the pitlane. Groans all around. :)

Fantastic weekend.
  • FWB 7 Jul 2013 19:13:59 43,849 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Happy Vettel won; hope it pissed more people off.
  • SolidSCB 7 Jul 2013 19:14:21 6,405 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I refuse to believe Kimi couldn't have stayed out on those hard tyres for another 10 laps with 15 seconds in hand, especially when they didn't have a new set of softs to give him. Poor call again Lotus.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2013 19:30:00
    Good race. Kimi did a good job. It would have been interesting to see him stay out and maybe win, or loose many places. 2nd place is still good.
  • SolidSCB 7 Jul 2013 19:45:21 6,405 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at his lap times he didn't look to be particularly struggling. It just seemed completely out of the blue to me. Lotus have sold themselves out of a couple of extra wins and really good results over the last 18 months. When the time comes to react they just don't seem to have a clue compared to the big teams they are claiming they want to compete with. Very hit and miss.

Great race though! Really enjoyed the chase at the end, even if it didn't go the way I'd have liked. A good race for Grosjean today too. Must mean he's due a big Lap 1 incident next race!
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 19:58:03 3,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surprisingly candid
  • FWB 7 Jul 2013 20:07:26 43,849 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice video. More respect for the moody git.
  • SaucyGeoff 7 Jul 2013 23:27:06 2,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gripping race today, always like to see a driver win there home race. Easy in hindsight to think Kimi should have stayed out, but on the softs, and only a 3 second gap to Vettel who'd already done 10 laps in his tyres, I expected him to win.

Thank fuck the camera man isnt too badly hurt. That could easily have been worse.They've got to sort the safety car procedure out. Its out for an 3-4 laps every time.
  • Nth 8 Jul 2013 07:36:22 3,119 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There were 2 cameramen, the first saw it coming, put his camera down and moved out of the way. The wheel only shot upwards because it hit the camera put down by his colleague!
  • DanB24 8 Jul 2013 13:20:32 1,797 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting to see that now that they can't run silly cambers pressures and the wrong way round Mercedes have dropped back to where they where before the dodgy tyre test.
  • shamblemonkee 8 Jul 2013 15:17:39 14,276 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *sigh*

just had to endure two colleagues talking about how silly a mistake it was for the teams to have been running the tyres the wrong way round - even to the point of them hypothesising that pirelli must have mislabelled them....
  • Bremenacht 9 Jul 2013 14:53:32 17,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just got back from the track. Can heartily recommend the German GP to anyone, fantastically organised (even to the point that German police were closing down roads one way so as to have better traffic flow).

Enjoyed the race, was exciting right until the end, though I suspect that had a lot to do with the safety car. Really looking forward to seeing the highlights. Managed to get onto the grid pretty easily after the race and managed to see Lauda and Damon Hill, which was cool. Horner wandered past at one point looking surprisingly miserable given they'd just won. Bit disappointed not to see the BBC lot though.

Oh, and no-one around me could understand a word Kimi said in the podium interview. Not that anyone cared, he had loads of support there (they're all batshit mental too, and very drunk!).

Funny when Vettel chucked his cap off and it fell into the pitlane. Groans all around. :)

Fantastic weekend.
    I agree - it's a great track to visit. It's a shame there is something of a scandal going on over mismanagement of the site, hence no rollercoaster.

Damn hot though, and I ended up too low down in the wrong stand -T13- to see very much. Good enough though. T4a next time, if I can choose the right side. The race was still good. I really thought Grosjean might finally produce the goods, but he just couldn't find a way past Vettel.

Highlight of the weekend was a drive on the Nordschleife. I was pretty careful (no insurance cover there) but it was still good fun, and some of the machinery flying past was amazing (windows down). Also sneaked into the paddock and met Suzi and DC \o/. Hope to catch the TV highlights a bit later.
  • Bremenacht 9 Jul 2013 15:31:55 17,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh! Wrong thread, but saw one of these driving through Nurburg

Mercedes SLR 'Stirling Moss'. They were about 600K new, I think. No protection from the drunks /o\
  • Kostabi 9 Jul 2013 15:50:59 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That really is a ludicrously good looking motor.
  • X201 9 Jul 2013 16:20:06 15,139 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, whose mechanics dodged the wheel, said it was time for a rethink.

"Everyone in the pitlane should have a helmet on," he said. "It is certainly worth reviewing the whole thing."

Red Bull boss Christian Horner, whose team were fined heavily by stewards for the unsafe release, agreed.

"These cars have so much energy in them and it is a timely reminder that things can go wrong," he said after his triple world champion Sebastian Vettel won his home race at the Nuerburgring for the first time.

"The mechanics wear safety gear and helmets. Maybe it is time that we looked at safety equipment for the other operational people working in the pit lane."

Good point, but not releasing the car unless the wheels are bolted on would be a good one as well.
  • shamblemonkee 9 Jul 2013 16:24:21 14,276 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah prevention is always better than cure. i wonder if there are simple / cheap ways to engineer in failsafes along the lines of sensors to detect fitted wheels and linking them to controlling lights.
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2013 16:50:31 53,849 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Damn hot though, and I ended up too low down in the wrong stand -T13- to see very much. Good enough though. T4a next time, if I can choose the right side.
    T4a is just too risky until they start letting you pick your block. If I go back I'll definitely go for T4 again, it was pretty much perfection.
  • Kostabi 9 Jul 2013 17:22:24 4,878 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If F1 was serious about making the pit lane safer they would move to Indy/GT style air jacks for a start. That'd instantly remove 11 front jack men from the area in one swoop.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have just one wheel man per side either, at least that way when one of them is waving frantically not to release the car he might stand a chance of being noticed.
  • Mekanik 9 Jul 2013 17:57:50 3,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Make pitstops take 5 seconds for everyone. sorted.

Kinda removes the pit crew superawesomeness though.
  • Page

of 832 First / Last