Motorsport Page 680

• Page

of 873 First / Last

• beastmaster 30 Jun 2013 15:37:17 11,593 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watching the forum.

Le Mans sounds like a mofo of a race.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Saucy 30 Jun 2013 15:38:09 2,604 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pirelli must be praying the tyres were cut by curbs.
  • dsmx 30 Jun 2013 15:44:09 7,648 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think pirelli will mind, because this only happens because they aren't allowed to test the tires properly. Every failure that happens just underlines the issues with banning testing.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Fab4 30 Jun 2013 15:45:51 6,114 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They should get Toto to say "It's not a tumour!".
  • Psychotext 30 Jun 2013 15:48:20 54,391 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I don't think pirelli will mind, because this only happens because they aren't allowed to test the tires properly. Every failure that happens just underlines the issues with banning testing.
    Hamilton said it best though. They "helped" Pirelli so as to avoid this sort of bullshit.

The main problem here though is that Lotus (etc) were allowed to veto the new stronger (safer) tyres.
  • Saucy 30 Jun 2013 15:49:01 2,604 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Yeah, it certainly validates the Mercedes test. They were testing modified tyres for a reason.
  • dsmx 30 Jun 2013 16:02:06 7,648 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The stresses those tires are under is astonishing and they will be under even more stress next season with the return of turbos bringing about a jump in torque and power. Pirelli need to be able to test tires properly and for whatever reason teams aren't letting them.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Kostabi 30 Jun 2013 16:19:02 4,976 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone still wanting to watch racing today the Grand-Am Watkins Glen race has just started (on Motors in the UK).

It's such an awesome track, I don't think it's ever produced a bad race.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 16:23:20 18,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That view from Raikkonen's car was terrible when Vergne's tyre went to strips. The amount of carbon-fibre in the air!

I don't know why Pirreli's tyres are failing, but it's clearly their problem to fix. Ordering drivers to stay off the kerbs will be a crap fix for this problem. Martin Whitmarsh has just mentioned Spa on the forum - that could be a shocker if tyres fail. Cars not using kerb at Spa would definitely be crap.

Have to say it made the race a bit more entertaining when the safety cars came out. A great end there - shame Webber couldn't grab a last-gasp win. Some fantastic drives out there. Massa's start was incredible, and his race was so good. Good drive from Ricciardo too.
  • altitude2k 30 Jun 2013 16:27:40 4,566 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Back home after an awesome weekend. So so disappointing for Lewis, you really felt the pain in the crowd. But one hell of a drive though the field - he really is undeniably first class. Di Resta did a good job at defending, but I can't help but think LH could have made the podium without it.

That's racing, though. Bring on Germany, and Silverstone 2014 - tickets at 15% off until Friday!
  • DanB24 30 Jun 2013 17:03:56 2,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed everyone was shouting "Come on Lewis!" and then it all went quiet after his tyre went.
    Some cheers when Vettel stopped though lol.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 17:04:56 18,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a cracking weekend. TV doesn't do the crowd justice really, except when EJ & co go wandering and the crowd get noisy. They love Lewis. I notice from TV that the entrance to the drivers paddock as got railings to stop drivers getting mobbed by fans - that's a bit of a shame. It's always nice to get really close and maybe get a photo with these people.

Did you camp, or are you close enough to drive? What was traffic like this time? Dreadful last year.

Germany for us next weekend. Not been to the Nurburgring before, so not sure what to expect. Whoever took the Google pictures appears to have taken them on a race weekend, judging by the tents and cars. Just look at the route of the old circuit - people camp all along it!
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 17:06:33 18,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Some cheers when Vettel stopped though lol.
    :D

I don't mind Vettel. I enjoyed a lot of booing at Schumacher though. \o/
  • DanB24 30 Jun 2013 17:11:34 2,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember on my last visit in '99 there was a big cheer when Schumacher had that big leg breaking crash that year.

I just drove on the day. It's only about 90 mins or so away.
    I was quite surprised by the traffic as it wasn't too bad at all and only slowed down literally on the approach to the car parks. :)
    Rather slower coming home though.

Good luck in Germany. Should be good!
  • superdelphinus 30 Jun 2013 17:28:14 8,089 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah looks like this season might get interesting after all...
  • FWB 30 Jun 2013 17:40:49 44,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Where's a good place to buy 2014 tickets?
  • TheSaint 30 Jun 2013 17:42:16 14,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cheer at Stowe when Vettel went off was almost as loud as when Lewis got pole yesterday.

Crazy business with the tyres today. I'm not sure how much they showed on TV but they had the marshalls on the entire track during the first safety car session checking all the kerbs.
  • Mekanik 30 Jun 2013 17:51:46 3,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23118588

Gary Anderson. Personally I think its a combination of kerbs and tyres.

Also, all the shouting at Pirelli is a bit out of order. They want to improve the tyres but teams have prevented it happening. Justifies the Merc test now, despite nothing having been fixed.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 17:53:13 18,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Where's a good place to buy 2014 tickets?
    Direct from Silverstone's site.
  • mal 30 Jun 2013 18:01:56 22,691 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mekanik wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23118588

Gary Anderson. Personally I think its a combination of kerbs and tyres.
    Ouch! That's a shonky-looking kerb. I don't think Pirelli need to design tyres that can cope with that sort of thing, as I don't recall seeing a kerb that slap-dashedly put together elsewhere.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• TheSaint 30 Jun 2013 18:03:42 14,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bookf1.com are also quite good, but they won't have the early bird offers that you'll get on the Silverstone site.

I'm sure testing could improve performance but surely you'd hope that a company like Pirelli could still make tyres that could do thirty or so laps under race conditions without failing?
  • DanB24 30 Jun 2013 18:06:38 2,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Not the greatest pics but they're moving so fast and my camera kept on focussing on the fencing lol.

Edited by DanB24 at 18:12:10 30-06-2013
  • Mekanik 30 Jun 2013 18:09:10 3,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    bookf1.com are also quite good, but they won't have the early bird offers that you'll get on the Silverstone site.

I'm sure testing could improve performance but surely you'd hope that a company like Pirelli could still make tyres that could do thirty or so laps under race conditions without failing?
    They can. The problem is the FIA and Bernie have told them to make tyres that last less than that yet give them NO testing time. Why do you think they did "secret" testing with Merc? Because they need it.

At least next year there is an agreement for some in season testing.

If the FIA/Bernie want to have a minimum 3 stops in a race, put it in the rules and make tyres that last a race length. Sorted. Drivers can push like mad the entire time yet everyone has to stop 3 times. simples.
  • FWB 30 Jun 2013 18:13:44 44,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Silverstone site isn't selling 2014 tix yet or am I blind?
  • TheSaint 30 Jun 2013 18:18:18 14,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From tomorrow according to their Twitter feed.
  • MMMarmite 30 Jun 2013 18:20:24 1,064 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rosberg under investigation for ignoring yellow flags according to twitter, could lose 1st place :(
  • altitude2k 30 Jun 2013 18:27:54 4,566 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They're not up yet, will be getting hem as soon as they are. Tomorrow most likely. You could buy them there this weekend, though. Will probably go back to Stowe A - saw plenty of action down there. Plus it's great getting an allocated seat rather than standing by the fences with, as my mate affectionately calls them "the great unwashed"!

I live in a village on the Silverstone side of Northampton, so it's perfect for driving. We normally get one of our wives to drop off an pick up at the park and ride down the road so we can get on the beers.

Walking down to see the interviews on the podium was ace, and being one of the people getting told off by a BBC producer for making too much noise ("Eddie...Eddie...Eddie") by the fence while they were working!

Such a brilliant atmosphere - so much love for the British drivers. Cannot recommend it enough. I may also try and get photos up, but they're not going to be great I would imagine.
  • mal 30 Jun 2013 18:30:44 22,691 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Not the greatest pics but they're moving so fast and my camera kept on focussing on the fencing lol.
    Doesn't really make much difference if you're using photobucket though, natch ;)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FWB 30 Jun 2013 18:31:21 44,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I want seating but not to pay a fortune, where would you recommend?
  • TheSaint 30 Jun 2013 18:36:59 14,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was in Stowe A as well but you are taking a big risk with the weather down there and the second DRS zone didn't provide the over taking I was hoping for.

Copse is a good cheap covered grandstand but I think I'll probably go back to Woodcotte A next year.

I got some cracking photos from Club yesterday as you're above the fencing and the cars are moving fairly slow coming out of Vale.
  • Page

of 873 First / Last