Motorsport Page 665

• Page

of 889 First / Last

• SolidSCB 26 May 2013 19:02:10 7,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He screwed Alonso over massively too. No way should he have had to give the place up. He was braking as late as he liked down that chicane and expecting the other driver to either cut the chicane or take a shunt. Arsehole.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 May 2013 20:05:50 5,529 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Damnit Grosjean, just when it looks like he's got a handle on knowing his limits he has an absolute 'mare of a weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets parked before the end of the year.
    Kimi & Kobi. The perfect partnership. I'd love to see the nutbag back in.

As for smart-arse Vettel, his fastest lap certainly proved a point today. The controlled pace and nursing of the tyres was excruciating to watch, possibly the worst procession race bar the Hungaroring snoozefests of yore. The lil' nips of DiResta, Sutil and Perez and Raiko at the finale didn't redeem it unfortunately.
  • shamblemonkee 26 May 2013 20:36:27 14,572 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/ decent predictor result for once!

100% Correct
    Vettel: Fastest Lap
    Rosberg: Pole & Win
    Hamilton 4th.

one spot off: vettel and hulk

and bonus points for the fist correct prediction of a winner for a total of 62 points and 45% accuracy

happy :D

A shame that the league went mental and has forgotten my results from bahrain back.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 20:38:47 26-05-2013
  • Deleted user 26 May 2013 22:59:18
    i had a horrible week. i had crashjean and maldawalldno, and massa in my top 10.

I got a astonishing 2 points in that round.
  • Kostabi 26 May 2013 23:02:08 5,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    11 measly points for me. It was nice at the top while it lasted...
  • mal 26 May 2013 23:22:55 22,787 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh, saved by...everyone else doing pretty badly it seems, and perhaps managing to preduct that Perez and Grosjean would crash out, but otherwise getting everything pretty much arse over tit. Didn't realise you only get 5 points for predicting the pole position - I've always found it much harder to get that than predict the race winner. There's more statics in preducting race wins - who's least likely to crash, whose team is better at race strategy, who's just mental enough to do the stupid things you need to do sometimes to win - whereas pole position is only about who's the best driver in the best car. Having more variables means they tend to average each other out, it seems, counterintuitively.

Anyway, only slipped one place to hang on at the cusp of the top ten. And only that because Marmy's Army had a storming round and made 18 places. Who runs Marmy's Army here?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 26 May 2013 23:29:24 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but FIA are NOT happy with Mercedes and Pirelli.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/8737410/FIA-Furious-With-Merc-Pirelli
  • dsmx 26 May 2013 23:51:05 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can they punish mercedes for something pirelli offered them? If they are quoting the rule word for word in that article then so long as pirelli offer the other teams that 100KM of testing at some point I really can't see how they've broken any rules.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Psychotext 26 May 2013 23:55:22 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's basically coming down to the fact that Pirelli were supposed to have offered everyone the opportunity (supposedly didn't) and that Merc weren't supposed to be running / controlling the tests (which they supposedly did).

Edited by Psychotext at 23:55:52 26-05-2013
  • MMMarmite 27 May 2013 00:10:34 1,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get in! Managed to predict pole, fastest lap and most positions gained for 30 bonus points, mostly thanks to Di Resta and his intermediates and Vettel getting bored of tyre management \o/

@Mal - that's me with the super fluke ;)

Edited by MMMarmite at 01:08:32 27-05-2013
  • FWB 27 May 2013 00:52:26 45,112 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beeb says all are offered the test. The issue is that the test cars must be two years old and Mercedes used this year's cars.

Edited by FWB at 00:52:42 27-05-2013
  • dsmx 27 May 2013 01:25:01 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How can you do a test to see how the new tires will perform on this years cars with cars that are from 2 years ago? They may as well test the new tires on cars from the 1980's for all the good that would do.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• FWB 27 May 2013 01:27:28 45,112 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well that's what the BBC are saying.
  • dsmx 27 May 2013 01:47:20 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well we don't know enough to form any conclusions yet but it all seems a bit weird to me, 2 years is a long time in F1 and any data on tire performance on cars from 2 years ago would be almost worthless.

I also don't get how they could do this tire testing in any kind of fair way, if you are creating some test compounds and the teams want to have a go that's 11 teams, 4 tires a car and if you assume it's the full 1000km for each car from each team that's well at least 440 tires and that's assuming they manage 100 KM a set with only 1 driver per team.

That's a shit load of rubber tires at a massive cost for tire compounds that that may never see the light of day in F1.

Not saying what mercedes did was fair on the other teams but I can't see how pirelli can do this kind of tire testing in an economical way if every team goes into it at the same time and test every tire compound.

In the end I can see this coming down to who actually ran the testing and since brawn says he's pretty confident over this I somewhat suspect that pirelli was.

• Bremenacht 27 May 2013 01:51:00 19,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could just as well argue that a Mercedes is unrepresentative of the other cars on the grid, but no, it's good. They're looking for particular performance data on tire behaviour, not car behaviour. They can probably extrapolate from there. Mercedes should learn nothing from it. If Mercedes were able to learn anything from this testing, then they're in trouble. And Pirelli.

Bit of a dull race. Glad to settle for highlights really. I'm in the 'don't like Perez' camp. His style seems to be 'I'm going to risk a collision - up to you if you want to get hit or not.' Very F2. He'd be bitching if a lesser team's driver did it to him.

Edited by Bremenacht at 01:51:39 27-05-2013
  • dsmx 27 May 2013 01:54:28 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or you could argue that Mercedes are the worst case scenario and are a good way of measuring the effect that the new compounds are going to have to the rest of the cars on the grid.

• mal 27 May 2013 02:03:34 22,787 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked Perez last year - seemed to have a good mix of sensible and reckless that made him fun to watch, plus he liked to talk to the telly, and he didn't have a stupid nickname then. This season he started off over-cautious and has now flipped to kerrazy, he's always miserable in interviews and some dope decided to call him Checko or something.

Regarding this Merc/Pirelli stuff, what's the maximum penalty that they could really apply? No points from a race? Meh, it'll all come out in the wash.

• Nth 27 May 2013 07:42:55 3,124 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just find it amazing that they did a 3 day test and nobody knew. Unbelievable.
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 09:01:17 20,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I frickin love Kimi:

Should Perez be spoken to by his colleagues about his recklessness, or should he be called in front of the stewards:

No no no, just punch him in the face
  • Cosquae 27 May 2013 09:09:18 1,237 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After yesterday's deluge of motor racing I can only say thank goodness for F1.

What it may have lacked in overtaking (hey, it was Monaco) it was better than the Indy 500 (finished at 60 mph behind a safety car under yellow flags for the 4th year running, race in effect ended 3 laps from the end).

And so, so much better than Nascar where a camera guide rope put 10 people in hospital, damaged race cars and caused a red flag. That and the advertising being 1 minute break for every 2 minutes of race.
  • Psychotext 27 May 2013 09:25:42 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Beeb says all are offered the test.
    I can't see Red Bull or Ferrari turning down 1000km of free testing.
  • Saucy 27 May 2013 09:33:43 2,611 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    I just find it amazing that they did a 3 day test and nobody knew. Unbelievable.
    This is by far the most astonishing part of the whole thing. Sky must be devasted they missed the chance to cover it live.
  • altitude2k 27 May 2013 15:34:05 4,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    God, this predictor is pointless. I'm nowhere near last and yet I haven't changed my predictions since before Melbourne.
  • mal 27 May 2013 16:28:28 22,787 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, but bear in mind the only two people below you actually playing are ShambleMonkee who had an unfortunate incident and had to split his account in two and whoever it is running ReptileRacing, who it seems had an even worse round than the rest of us. Everyone else below you stopped playing at least before the second round, and it seems your Melbourne predictions were about as good at predicting Monaco as everyone else's actual Monaco predictions were.

• Rusty_M 27 May 2013 16:57:58 4,864 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know how, but I forgot to do my predictions for this race, and moved up to 4th. Seem to be doing OK so far this year.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 17:04:14
    Mercedes seem to be doing everything their money can do. They've taken two people from McLaren, and now want the edge with tyres. By the time they get to where they want, the engines will change. I really hope McLaren and Honda can be back on winning form.
  • Psychotext 27 May 2013 20:02:29 54,779 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Supposedly the "facts" put together by a poster on another site.

Pirelli asks the FIA about the possibility of testing during the season with a current F1 car.

The FIA says that it could be possible (not the same as giving them approval) with certain restrictions, including:
    .... All teams must be offered the opportunity
    .... The tests must be run by Pirelli, not the team

**Pirelli goes with Mercedes to conduct the test.

**Mercedes and Pirelli have a professional relationship outside of F1 racing

**Mercedes knowing full well about the regulation banning such testing with a current car, agrees.

**Pirelli does not offer this opportunity to all teams (several have said they were not so informed)

**Pirelli does not notify the FIA that the test is going to take place and with whom... or even where?

**Mercedes does not confirm with the FIA that they are on solid regulatory ground prior to testing.

**Mercedes does not confirm that all teams were given the opportunity (perhaps the cost of phone calls is limiting?)

**The testing takes place using the 2013 Mercedes chassis and drivers Hamilton & Rosberg

**They test using Hamilton & Rosberg driving @500km each

**They test tires for next year, but also tires for the Canadian GP

**Mercedes may have used the opportunity to better their car

**Mercedes drivers got about 3 full GP races worth of driving in their current chassis

**There has been no mention of the FIA having overseers present to assure that the test were run according to the instructions

**The FIA says they were not notified of the test taking place (making it difficult to assign overseers)

**Because of the lack of overseers, The FIA & other teams have absolutely no idea of how the test was run, if new parts were tested by MB, or if MB used the opportunity to sort out some of the suspension issues that have been dogging them.

**The "benefit" of the testing could present themselves throughout the season to Mercedes.

**Questions arise concerning 2014 as Pirelli using a MB chassis to help develop tires for next season could create tires favorable to MB.

**Red Bull & Ferrari become aware that a 2013 Mercedes chassis was used for 1000km of testing

**Ferrari & Red Bull file a protest

**At least two other teams other than Red Bull and Ferrari confirm that they were not asked.

**Pirelli and Mercedes face possible sanctions or fines from the FIA for failure to meet the rules outlined in the response to the testing request.

**Legal eagles scramble for ways of getting Mercedes out of hotbed they find themselves in, looking anything they can find to put the onus on the FIA instead of Mercedes or Pirelli.
    Edited by Psychotext at 20:03:19 27-05-2013
  • FWB 27 May 2013 20:11:19 45,112 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone is in uber-Scheisse.
  • Kostabi 27 May 2013 20:13:49 5,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What a coincidence, Pirelli screw up in a very public way in the midst of the FIA and Bernie stalling on a new contract.
  • urban 27 May 2013 21:46:40 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's a little shite but you've gotta hand it to him sometimes, he's a fucking clever one.

I made next to no points this race, Monaco is a mad house sometimes.
  • Page

of 889 First / Last