Motorsport Page 649

• Page

of 855 First / Last

• kentmonkey 13 Apr 2013 15:31:15 20,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That was a properly strange decision by Red Bull. I know they were unlikely to get pole but they had a good shot at top 4.
    Well, it wasn't really, as the softer compound isn't the tyre to be on tomorrow.

All the others will be coming in Lap 4-6, maybe 7 at a real push, right in the middle of a fight as it's the start of the GP. Vettel and Button will go until around lap 15-20 minimum, meaning they can stretch out some space, stick another set of boots on without being slowed down, and leave the softer compound right until the end when they can try and use it to boost past people.

I think RB have got it spot on, strategy wise. Not sure it'll work out as Seb will no doubt be impatient and overly aggressive with overtaking, and he could also have flat spotted the tyre after his break pedal issue on his last QF lap today, but I think strategy wise as a decision, it's the right one.
  • Psychotext 13 Apr 2013 15:40:40 54,200 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I doubt that little lockup would have caused any meaningful sort of flat spot. Even in slowmo it didn't really look like it was locked for long.

As for strategy... I get it, I just don't know that it will work out. I personally don't think that Hamilton et all will be held up too much after their pits. It's not particularly hard to pass in China.
  • kentmonkey 13 Apr 2013 15:57:09 20,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No it's not too tricky there, but it still loses you time in dirty air a lot of the time being behind somebody. They may get lucky and encounter people in DRS zones which would actually speed them up, but it's risky.

Both are risky, but I think starting on the harder tyre is the most sensible choice. I think it'll be enough to get Button 5th if he doesn't have a technical/pit problem. Vettel...who knows. It all depends how calm he can remain, and what happens on the first corner.
  • altitude2k 13 Apr 2013 16:59:58 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I doubt that little lockup would have caused any meaningful sort of flat spot. Even in slowmo it didn't really look like it was locked for long.

As for strategy... I get it, I just don't know that it will work out. I personally don't think that Hamilton et all will be held up too much after their pits. It's not particularly hard to pass in China.
    DRS and the top speed of the Mercedes does look quite tasty for taking places back.
  • Deleted user 13 April 2013 17:04:44
    Mekanik wrote:
    Nice one Lewis. I set my predictor last night, very late, before bed, and for some reason put Massa for pole. What was I thinking?

Oh look, a problem with Webbers car, how convenient for RBR. At least he wont clash with team principle Vettel now.....
    Same, i even got massa for the win. i gone proper leftfield with my predictions this time. mistake.
  • altitude2k 13 Apr 2013 17:10:56 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haven't changed my predictor since the first race. Think I had Lewis to win, actually.
  • DanB24 13 Apr 2013 17:15:55 1,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mekanik wrote:...
    Oh look, a problem with Webbers car, how convenient for RBR. At least he wont clash with team principle Vettel now.....
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Nth 13 Apr 2013 17:33:18 3,121 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That lap from Lewis just looked effortless, very impressive stuff. I wonder if this car will be good everywhere, from Monaco to Monza for example? Just hope they can keep up development on it.
  • DanB24 13 Apr 2013 17:42:28 1,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Merc merc looked good in China last year too remember.
    It could just be something inherent in their car design that likes the track?
  • mal 13 Apr 2013 18:15:41 22,536 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just slapped in the Aussie race results and tweaked it a little, assuming it would be cooler than Bahrain was and back to Aussie temperatures. Looks like I was wrong :(

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• urban 13 Apr 2013 19:32:44 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else see Hamilton standing in the cockpit playing with his junk nonchalantly and hearing the commentators try not to laugh/comment on it.
  • altitude2k 13 Apr 2013 19:37:33 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    The Merc merc looked good in China last year too remember.
    It could just be something inherent in their car design that likes the track?
    It did look great in Malaysia too. Could have been on for a win had it not been for fuel or a *ahem* pit stop hiccup.

I find it quite ridiculous that anyone genuinely believes Red Bull would purposefully put one of their cars to the back of the grid, along with a stash of WCC points.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Apr 2013 19:38:10 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DanB24 it's fast in a straight line on a track with a kilometre long straight :).

I was also remembering last year foolishy swappd Ham to ROS last night for pole :(.

I have Rai, Ham, Alo for the race though so hoping to get at least some points from that.
  • DanB24 13 Apr 2013 19:40:43 1,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @altitude2k True true we'll have to see if they can keep it up elsewhere.

@shamblemonkee Yes good point! :)
  • superdelphinus 13 Apr 2013 19:47:16 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vettel's potential flat spot problem probably not an issue because he didn't set a time and can start on whatever he wants. Depends how many tyres he's gone through really, though the day i start keeping a note of that is the day I turn to booze
  • superdelphinus 13 Apr 2013 19:48:56 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    That lap from Lewis just looked effortless, very impressive stuff. I wonder if this car will be good everywhere, from Monaco to Monza for example? Just hope they can keep up development on it.
    I noticed that from watching the t-cam mix of Malaysia, he's driving beautifully at the moment.
  • Psychotext 13 Apr 2013 20:46:31 54,200 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.
    You do realise they have different engineers right? What would Webber's engineers gain from fucking up his car?
  • SolidSCB 13 Apr 2013 21:10:27 6,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hope that Lotus is kind on the tyres again tomorrow.
  • Bremenacht 13 Apr 2013 22:09:20 18,253 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    DanB24 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.
    You do realise they have different engineers right? What would Webber's engineers gain from fucking up his car?
    Come on. You have to admit the timing is suspect. How many times have you seen something happen in a team before, as if to affirm a driver's place in the pecking order? Or something happens that ensures the DC goes to the end of the season? I have wondered in the past if F1 has something theatrical behind it.
  • freedumb 13 Apr 2013 22:41:18 1,110 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reminds me of the suspicious KERS problems that MW's car has had quite a number of times.

Edited by freedumb at 22:54:27 13-04-2013
  • altitude2k 14 Apr 2013 05:57:58 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    DanB24 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.
    Come on. You have to admit the timing is suspect. How many times have you seen something happen in a team before, as if to affirm a driver's place in the pecking order? Or something happens that ensures the DC goes to the end of the season? I have wondered in the past if F1 has something theatrical behind it.
    Not a chance. The only way that would happen is if RB gave Webber inferior parts, say, if there was only one good KERS battery - that would go to Vettel. Certainly not a malicious act.

These two have had their clashes before, yet RB continue to sign him. Why bother if they're going to purposefully damage his races?
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 06:33:30
    And the fact they are fighting for the world championship on both fronts, in which they need webber to at least do a 'job'
  • altitude2k 14 Apr 2013 06:40:16 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Exactly. They're always banging on about the WCC being the most important because of the cash. So yeah, I reiterate my earlier sentiment...NO WAY IN HELL.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 06:57:38
    C'mon Kimi.. sure hope he does well today..
  • superdelphinus 14 Apr 2013 07:13:26 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has it ever actually been sunny at this track before?! It's always grey in my mind
  • altitude2k 14 Apr 2013 07:16:32 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Has it ever actually been sunny at this track before?! It's always grey in my mind
    Certainly not in the games!
  • altitude2k 14 Apr 2013 07:48:43 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good prospects for Di Resta. Last time someone had a fuel leak prior to the Chinese GP they nailed the win ;-)
  • altitude2k 14 Apr 2013 07:57:47 4,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh no...the stress associated with being a Hamilton fan has started to set in.
  • AaronTurner 14 Apr 2013 08:12:46 7,736 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drs is pretty rubbish.
  • superdelphinus 14 Apr 2013 08:14:24 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cue 45 minutes of no idea what's going on
  • Page

of 855 First / Last