Motorsport Page 639

• Page

of 826 First / Last

• altitude2k 23 Mar 2013 08:19:47 3,780 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I guess Red Bull must be leaning their setup heavily towards the race.
  • Psychotext 23 Mar 2013 09:05:57 53,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...and yet...
  • superdelphinus 23 Mar 2013 09:24:21 8,021 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vettel so lucky that rain came when it did! Can't see past a Ferrari win tomorrow, would love it to be Massa but things always seem to conspire against him.
  • Psychotext 23 Mar 2013 09:29:27 53,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I personally think they had the Red Bull set up for the rain. They were quick all through the practices and that's not just suddenly going to disappear.
  • altitude2k 23 Mar 2013 09:36:02 3,780 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I think they were extremely lucky that it rained when it did. Again.
  • Bremenacht 23 Mar 2013 11:13:20 17,613 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bugger. Forgot my predictions.
  • altitude2k 23 Mar 2013 11:23:25 3,780 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watching the 2003 replay of the Malaysian GP. Those wheel men had it real easy during the times of refuelling!
  • Deleted user 23 March 2013 14:11:51
    Argh! RB and there fortunate circumstances! Mercs look fairly good. And it seems Mclaren is a bit better too. Should be a cracking race tomorrow.

Onto Kimi. Love the guy. But the interview with lee Mckensie was harsh. I don't know how much editing went into it, but the guy can fuck off with that attitude to perfectly fine journalists.
  • Kostabi 23 Mar 2013 15:16:24 4,875 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What did he do?
  • Deleted user 23 March 2013 18:30:06
    He clearly didn't want to do the interview. Lee asked for the interview if he could remove his sunglasses and he made a smarmy remark about doing the interview indoors then, his answers to other questions were pretty thin. It may not sound like much but overall it left a pretty sour impression.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2013 18:37:43
    Actual interview is here. Its not as bad as second time round, but watching it at the time seem pretty poor form.

• RobTheBuilder 23 Mar 2013 18:53:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing is, that's just him. He's always wanted to focus on racing and tries to minimise the other stuff. I bet if you looked at the other drivers cut footage you'd get a lot of that as well.
  • Puppaz 23 Mar 2013 19:14:47 319 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually like how the guy has no time for greasing up to the media and trying to manipulate his image etc. etc. I know it's kind of expected nowadays and comes with the territory, and it really wouldn't work if the guy had no talent, but having no obvious personality or charisma (though I'm sure he has both away from cameras and crowds) kind of makes him individual and some kind of antihero. No rhetoric, just racing.
    Well I like the guy anyway.
  • Cosquae 23 Mar 2013 19:16:17 1,207 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Could well be that he's got a sponsorship deal with Oakleys (sunglasses) which stipulates that the glasses should be on for interviews on TV. It's not uncommon in the US with Nascar drivers. It's just a way to get the product on TV.

His answers sounded normal Kimi. The bit about going inside is probably because it's 1) very hot there and 2) on the verge of a monsoon half the time.

Wish he would do a little more for the fans though, especially those who turned up to the circuit and paid a lot for the privilege.
  • ResidentKnievel 23 Mar 2013 19:19:53 6,119 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It didn't help that the questions he were being asked were so bland and ones he's been asked one thousand times before. Why couldn't they attempt to have a technical discussion with him?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Kostabi 23 Mar 2013 19:22:08 4,875 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For a sit down interview they were the blandest questions imaginable, no surprise he decided to fuck with her I suppose.

Her stunned silence to the 'no' made me chuckle.
  • SaucyGeoff 23 Mar 2013 20:54:13 2,560 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've only just seen Kimi has got a 3 place grid pen. Still, I've also noticed that there are twin drs zones along the two main straights. If he's quick, there'll be no problem making up places.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2013 21:02:35
    DC said that off the track give him alcohol and you can't shut him up. Ha.

His responses to the interview just irked me a little. I like kimi alot, he is so refreshing from the paul di riesta school of trained robots. But i just felt his attitude to this was a bit poor.

Lee has been in the buisness of being a motorsport journalist for quite a while, shes highly thought of, and i just expected kimi to show a bit more respect. As a driver i understand these are the most banal of things to do, and you have to do countless throughout a weekend, drivers like webber manage to keep there private lifes private, be cool around the paddock but at least engage with reporters without being paul di riesta.

Just reading up that there been a bit of history between the two:

On the Sunday morning after qualifying I stomped back to my boss saying that my days of interviewing Kimi Räikkönen were over. I am up for someone being quirky and different, and I have actually always enjoyed interviewing the monosyllabic Finn, but at the end of last season it was becoming ridiculous, pre-season testing wasn’t any better and after qualifying I honestly couldn’t hear or make one word out of what he was saying. He could have announced his retirement and I would have said, “OK, thanks Kimi, good luck in the race”. I think I got to lap 38 when I went onto BBC talkback, the system that we use to communicate with our bosses in the TV gallery, and retracted my earlier statement. Was it a great winning driver interview? It wasn’t the best, although Kimi did speak legibly, answered every question well and even had a little laugh although I’m not sure why, which is slightly worrying! I’d better watch it back in case I did miss something.

I am lucky to have a good relationship with most of the drivers and I worked with many of them as we all fought our way into F1, albeit doing very different jobs. I will never shy away from asking questions, although sometimes it doesn’t make you feel too good if you have to constantly ask someone about crashing or losing their drive. Or, for that matter, reminding Mark Webber that he’s never been on the podium at his home Grand Prix or asking Jenson just how bad the McLaren is.
    (from : http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/opinion/bbc-f1s-lee-mckenzie-in-australia/)
  • Nth 23 Mar 2013 21:14:12 3,118 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucking Red Bull. They're lobbying to get last years tyres bought back as they don't like the new ones. Awwwwwwwww diddums. It'll never happen anyway.
  • Flying_Pig 23 Mar 2013 22:27:04 10,687 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched quali.

Not as much of a mixed up grid I was hoping for, but if it's dry we could be in for a decent race as Kimi (and hopefully Button) come through :)
  • superdelphinus 23 Mar 2013 22:36:18 8,021 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it actually is a bit mixed up though funnily enough, even if it doesn't necessarily look it. At least compared to fp3 times and the earlier qualifying rounds. will be interesting to see how FI go as they genuinely looked fast, at least in the hands of their good driver. lotus didn't seem all that happy on Saturday generally.
  • kentmonkey 23 Mar 2013 23:00:58 20,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Di Resta looked quick as well though. He bodged one lap up, the team brought him in to change tyres, left him too long in the garage and then fell foul to bad weather. He had been on the pace before that though.
  • mal 24 Mar 2013 04:41:44 22,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Still, I've also noticed that there are twin drs zones along the two main straights. If he's quick, there'll be no problem making up places.
    Is that true? I saw the same on the image at f1techinical, but then later I saw the image from the FIA which contradicts that.

Looking into it further, it seems that F1techical have fucked up. Only one DRS detection point, and one activation zone, between turns 15 and 1 along the start-finish straight.

Edited by mal at 04:42:01 24-03-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 24 March 2013 06:33:27
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Di Resta looked quick as well though. He bodged one lap up, the team brought him in to change tyres, left him too long in the garage and then fell foul to bad weather. He had been on the pace before that though.
    i think i have paul has the most laps gained in my predictions. so heres hoping. Yeah FI look really quick. Something for Maurissa (who have actually impressed me alot with there gains and attitude) and caterham to aspire too.
  • superdelphinus 24 Mar 2013 07:44:53 8,021 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They would probably like to aspire to their resources too
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2013 08:06:49 25,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh Fernando.
  • SaucyGeoff 24 Mar 2013 08:07:40 2,560 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh Fernando, reckon he was trying to drag it out for a change to slicks?
  • NotSoSlim 24 Mar 2013 08:08:16 3,116 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Race now a formality. Boo
  • dufftownallan 24 Mar 2013 08:50:25 4,723 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    farce india
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2013 09:25:55 25,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fight! Fight! Fight!