Motorsport Page 637

• Page

of 855 First / Last

• superdelphinus 17 Mar 2013 11:32:00 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kostabi it'll be as good relative to everyone else proobably?
  • Kostabi 17 Mar 2013 13:17:48 4,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Up to a point, the last few seasons there's always been a car or two that doesn't seem to touch the tyres when it's cool but can't seem to match that when the track temp rises. Sauber used to be especially good on tyres in middling temps for some reason last season (or was it season before?)
  • SolidSCB 17 Mar 2013 16:10:17 6,702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    I have a few quid on Kimi at 12/1 to win the championship, jury is still out but I feel quietly smug this morning.

Cracking race although I wonder if the Lotus tyre management will be as good once they get to Malaysia and everything starts to melt.
    I've got 50 quid on him at the same price. Smug as fuck this afternoon! Get in there Kimi! Pretty dominant drive that.
  • AaronTurner 17 Mar 2013 16:20:32 7,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was good, looks like there are 3 or 4 teams that are very even at the start with Kimi, Alonso and Vettel all looking sharp. Bodes well.
  • Psychotext 17 Mar 2013 16:26:34 54,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure how I feel about the tyres deciding races, but I'll give it a chance to stabilise.
  • Robes 17 Mar 2013 16:32:32 149 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirelli have been the best thing to happen to F1 in years. I don't think the tyres decide the outcome though, it's just another piece of the strategy.
  • SolidSCB 17 Mar 2013 16:32:52 6,702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No worse than people winning thanks to double diffusers and other dodgy development loopholes. Not to mention the fact that Kimi drove a fantastic race and outperformed everybody on the grid today. It isn't like Grosjean set the world alight in the same car. Kimi made it happen today. Credit to him.

Edited by SolidSCB at 16:33:49 17-03-2013
  • Psychotext 17 Mar 2013 16:41:33 54,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wasn't saying anything against Kimi, he did a fantastic job.

As for tyres deciding the outcome, we'll see in Malaysia. If it's really just part of the strategy then RB, Merc, Ferrari and Lotus should all be very strong again.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 16:49:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext it isn't the tyres themselves, it's how teams design around them. Pirelli tyres have been a fantastic development to the sport.
  • superdelphinus 17 Mar 2013 16:54:17 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly - just another things the teams have to design around, like all the exhaust configurations last year
  • SolidSCB 17 Mar 2013 17:11:15 6,702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is funny seeing all of these journos and reporters who were laughing at Kimi coming back and slagging off his lifestyle and attitude no end now falling over themselves to congratulate him and dish out the superlatives. Not that the man himself gives a fuck about these jokers. He'll just continue to troll.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2013 17:20:01
    Great to see Kimi Raikkonen take victory. I predicted those 3 would be on the podium today, although I had Vetel and Kimi around the other way. Just as well I didn't put any money on it, not that I would.

Good highlights from the BBC. The female presenter don't seem very comfortable in her role.

Edited by blacksea at 17:20:48 17-03-2013
  • NotSoSlim 17 Mar 2013 17:57:22 3,124 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blacksea wrote:

Good highlights from the BBC. The female presenter don't seem very comfortable in her role.
    She needs time. She was very good when doing motogp years ago.

Jake Humpherys is a miss tho
  • mal 17 Mar 2013 18:58:47 22,522 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buggrit, that gppredictor seems to have ignored my last round of rejigging last week with which I ended up putting the top three in the first three spots (though not necessarily in the right order). As it is, it seems to have frozen with my earlier hopelessly optimistic predictions of Button winning the race, and Red Bull being outclassed by Mercedes. Oh well, may as well start as I mean to go on - I think I've ended up with two positions off by one, which is about as well as I was doing at the start of last season :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• superdelphinus 17 Mar 2013 20:05:57 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    at least you remembered to actually put something in!
  • Puppaz 17 Mar 2013 20:25:56 324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm pretty sure I had kimi and alonso as 1-2, but pretty much every other prediction i had was shite.
  • Bremenacht 17 Mar 2013 22:18:05 18,190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    my earlier hopelessly optimistic predictions of Button winning the race
    I can sympathise with that. :(
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 22:24:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I put Vettel for pole but my results were screwed by Lotus being faaaast
  • guts 18 Mar 2013 00:06:08 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    mal wrote:
    my earlier hopelessly optimistic predictions of Button winning the race
    I can sympathise with that. :(
    Amen to that. Althugh I am ranked a comfortable 7 in the league. I wonder how long I will stay that high for...

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Phily50 18 Mar 2013 01:25:07 2,199 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Considering how hopeless I was last year on that predictor thingy, I've done pretty well on that race. Still. A loooong way to go though!
  • Flying_Pig 18 Mar 2013 13:25:09 10,981 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The race was much better than I expected. Practice and (dry) qualifying suggested that it would be a RB cake-walk, but great to see that Ferrari, Lotus and (to a lesser degree) Mercedes all have some decent pace.

Had LH not flat-spotted his tyres, I wonder if he could have made a 2-stop work?

Certainly bodes well for the rest of the season.

The big question (for me) is how are McLaren so bad? They looked reasonable in testing and somehow turned up to Australia with a shite car - looking to be somewhere between Williams and Sauber! Has anyone done any kind of analysis as to where they've gone wrong? Gary Anderson (BBC) suggests that all of the componant parts look good, and the car's just not working properly, but they seemed to be genuinely slow everwhere...

They really need to do something quickly if they want a shout at a Championship this year!
  • Nth 18 Mar 2013 14:16:02 3,121 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    McLaren confessed that parts of their suspension were on upside down at that test and therefore running way too low. I'm not making that up either.

You could see the McLaren bouncing around like an old Alleggro during the race. Horrendous.
  • altitude2k 18 Mar 2013 17:42:57 4,256 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Had LH not flat-spotted his tyres, I wonder if he could have made a 2-stop work?
    It was an adventurous late-braking attempt, that's for sure! Did well to keep it on the Tarmac. Likewise Alonso for being wise enough to avoid it.

I'm not sure he could have made it work though. Seemed to struggle for pace on the mediums, apart from the beginning of the stint where he was pretty fast.

Edited by altitude2k at 17:52:13 18-03-2013
  • superdelphinus 18 Mar 2013 18:38:52 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To me it more looked like what happens when you brake hard with an already well worn tyre - locking and loads of smoke
  • urban 18 Mar 2013 20:23:17 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Defending hard isn't good for tyres no matter what car you're driving. Don't fight it and you may beat them on time, watch the race again and you'll see that's what Kimi did.
  • superdelphinus 18 Mar 2013 20:24:29 8,059 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that's kind of shit though, as a spectacle
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 12:50:36
    altitude2k wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    It was an adventurous late-braking attempt, that's for sure! Did well to keep it on the Tarmac. Likewise Alonso for being wise enough to avoid it.

I'm not sure he could have made it work though. Seemed to struggle for pace on the mediums, apart from the beginning of the stint where he was pretty fast.
    He actually made the apex, i think it looked worse than it did. But alonso did well to see that lewis would stick it there.

As for pace, i think its clear the mercs are a little bit behind, but they changed their stragety mid race, it would have been interesting to see where they would be if they followed the course of the other drivers. They spent a good deal longer on the rubbish red tire than everybody else.

Anyway, decent start to the season points wise, a solid 36 points.
  • shamblemonkee 20 Mar 2013 13:13:52 14,375 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most interesting thing in the next two races will be to see if the Renault keeps up it's pace and tyre management. If so Kimi should be on a nice run by the time we get back to Europe.
  • SaucyGeoff 20 Mar 2013 13:31:56 2,576 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lots of interesting points to look forward to this weekend. RB and Merc seem ahead on one lap speed, with Ferrari and particularly Lotus looking after their tyres better. Ferrari's lack of one lap pace is totally negated by the fact the cars always get off the line a rocket.

Strangely for a 3rd place, Red Bull and Vettel seemed pretty pleased with their result last weekend. Maybe they were expecting worse tyre deg than they got, or either they know where they went wrong and are confident they can sort it out.
  • shamblemonkee 20 Mar 2013 13:54:57 14,375 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah, apparently at race end Mark Webber used a sweary when describing their pace and progress in winter testing, but saying that the race at least had proven it wasnt all bad and in fact a good place to build from.
  • Page

of 855 First / Last