Motorsport Page 629

• Page

of 845 First / Last

• DanB24 9 Mar 2013 18:04:26 1,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah you mean in that no-one will watch it because no-one's left who cares?
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Mar 2013 18:15:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Sky F1 is a nice idea that no-one really wants. Most F1 fans I know want BBC live coverage of every race and Sky is a weak substitute. rather like Eurosport coverage used to be in the late 90's.
  • superdelphinus 9 Mar 2013 18:54:13 8,051 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did I read somewhere, or was it a dream, that sky f1 was going to stop and the races just subsumed into ss3/4 ?
  • superdelphinus 9 Mar 2013 19:15:57 8,051 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deleted

Edited by superdelphinus at 19:16:35 09-03-2013
  • altitude2k 9 Mar 2013 21:17:02 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Did I read somewhere, or was it a dream, that sky f1 was going to stop and the races just subsumed into ss3/4 ?
    Considering they're trying their hardest to show absolutely every single second of F1 they can fit on that channel, I doubt it. Live broadcast of pre season testing - unheard of.

Personally I'm impressed with the effort and their coverage. Lazenby is the only real weak link (now that Georgie Thompson has been ousted). Even the website is great. I had three news tickers while following the testing at work, BBC was easily the worst - infrequent and bland, Autosport was pretty good with third "worst driver ever" contest, but Sky's was easily the best. Informative, entertaining, and constantly answering questions.
  • shamblemonkee 9 Mar 2013 22:26:57 14,322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder find that sort of comment weird as the race is commentary by two ex BBC...
  • Psychotext 9 Mar 2013 22:41:46 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Live broadcast of pre season testing - unheard of.
    Yeah... and they still missed three entire sets of it.
  • shamblemonkee 9 Mar 2013 22:46:17 14,322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    let's be honest it was fucking boring by the end of the final test.

can't wait for the racing to begin and the bull to end

Edited by shamblemonkee at 22:46:39 09-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Mar 2013 22:56:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @shamblemonkee But the rest of the coverage isn't. The commentators are alright, but there's something really good about the BBC presentation. ITV couldn't match it either.

Plus. Even if they are good, the perception of many will be that it isn't simply because it's Sky.
  • X201 9 Mar 2013 23:28:54 15,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Plus. Even if they are good, the perception of many will be that it isn't simply because it's Sky.
    Its because watching Sky is accompanied by the gnawing mental image of Murdoch sliding his octogenarian hand into your trousers to fondle your wallet.
  • Psychotext 9 Mar 2013 23:38:37 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was watching Sky last year and I have to wonder if I was watching something different to the rest of the people who have been praising it. The race might have been great (you can't really fault Brundle, though Croftie didn't make the transition well), but everything else was god awful.

Thompson was there as eyecandy only, the Skypad was a complete joke, Lazenby and Hill have both had charisma bypasses and Herbert is nothing more than a wideboy.

With BBC I'd watch before and after the race (Especially the forum). With Sky I started tuning in just for the grid walk and then turned straight off when it finished.
  • thelzdking 9 Mar 2013 23:59:43 4,367 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, Sky have far too many superfluous people involved in their coverage; Lazenby is the definition of pointlessness. They do the races well enough, even if Crofty is a bit shit.

Other than the fact that they have exclusive rights to half the races I can't think of anything about the Sky coverage that is significantly better than what the BBC does. Sure there's plenty of it but a great deal of it amounts to a whole load of nothing IMO.
  • altitude2k 10 Mar 2013 07:01:31 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok the testing was a bit dull, but what did you expect? It was just testing! The fact is that they DID it, and satiated people's F1 fix a bit before the season, you cannot berate them for that.

I'm convinced that a lot of people's misgivings on the Sky F1 coverage is purely down to their preconceived notions of the company as a whole, rather than the programming itself. BBC good, Sky bad, sorta thing. The coverage is solid, especially given it was their first year. Their supplementary programming is good too. Their effort to cover GP2 and GP3 sessions is a really underrated move too.

I was convinced I would watch all BBC coverage last year when live and switch to Sky for the others (as a last resort), but I felt no great desire to switch back, to be quite honest. Their on-screen talent is dwindling, and I can't help think it'll be relegated to BBC2.

And if you want someone to blame for it going away from free to air, blame Sebastian Vettel.
  • superdelphinus 10 Mar 2013 09:07:02 8,051 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    why?!
  • Maturin 10 Mar 2013 10:00:44 2,959 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I much prefer Sky over BBC. Though Suzi Perry may alter that this season. :)
  • DanB24 10 Mar 2013 10:08:40 1,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    why?!
    Same driver winning the championship three times in a row equals *yawn ZZzzzzzz*
  • Kostabi 10 Mar 2013 10:38:10 4,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's funny how this wouldn't even be a discussion if the BBC didn't hate us all.
  • altitude2k 10 Mar 2013 10:49:56 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    why?!
    It was a lighthearted comment. But do you think that wavering public interest in a sport where the same German won nigh on every race in 2011 had nothing to do with the BBC's decision to offload some of the rights?
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2013 10:51:40 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    I'm convinced that a lot of people's misgivings on the Sky F1 coverage is purely down to their preconceived notions of the company as a whole, rather than the programming itself.
    I gave my reasons above. Nothing to do with Sky itself or Murdoch or any of that bollocks.
  • altitude2k 10 Mar 2013 11:15:06 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    I'm convinced that a lot of people's misgivings on the Sky F1 coverage is purely down to their preconceived notions of the company as a whole, rather than the programming itself.
    I gave my reasons above. Nothing to do with Sky itself or Murdoch or any of that bollocks.
    Yeah I don't understand the hate for the Skypad. Ant Davidson's driver POV analysis is always extremely welcome, in my book, and while it may be a touch overkill for the job it hardly does it any damage. It's great that they have someone on the books who is actively involved in the development of these cars.

Edited by altitude2k at 11:15:26 10-03-2013
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2013 11:49:40 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing there that couldn't be done by having our view of the screen "maximised". Oh wait, if they did that they wouldn't be able to show the eyecandy standing next to the screen.
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2013 11:50:58 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and nothing in particular against Davidson. He's not a great presence, but he gets the points across.
  • Kostabi 10 Mar 2013 11:55:27 4,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On some of the NHL stuff I watch they have a giant touch screen but it's part of the desk the presenters sit at and is shown from an overhead camera. Seems to be a much better way of doing it for presenters and viewers.
  • altitude2k 10 Mar 2013 12:08:49 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Oh, and nothing in particular against Davidson. He's not a great presence, but he gets the points across.
    But again, his opinion is worth far more in my mind than the other pundits on Sky, or any on the BBC because of his actual job.
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2013 12:15:37 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's not actually that much use in his skypad role (even I can point out how crashes happened etc). He's good at covering practice though, lots of insight there.
  • coojam 10 Mar 2013 12:20:46 625 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For the money I would have to pay to take out a Sky subscription over a year just to watch the F1, I could afford to fly out to one of the international races and watch it in person.

This is a no-brainer - the transition to Sky has benefit zero consumers in the UK beyond the hardcore who like to watch all the pre-season stuff and it has made me less interested in watching the sport at a point where its popularity in the UK was at a 10 year high.
  • Psychotext 10 Mar 2013 13:28:35 53,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a "hardcore" fan who likes to watch the pre-season stuff and Sky really wasn't much use for that. They showed one session of the three and even then the technical detail in that coverage was poor.

Sites like Autosport made a much better job of collating the data and explaining what was going on. This free site was one of the best of them too: http://f1tests.info/2013.php?rev=on

Edited by Psychotext at 13:30:26 10-03-2013
  • altitude2k 10 Mar 2013 18:06:08 4,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I've really enjoyed Sky's F1 programming last year and this season so far. I feel really sorry for those who don't because I'm enjoying every single race weekend. It must suck to only be enjoying half of the non-race coverage.
  • Altmayer 10 Mar 2013 18:23:25 165 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Out of interest, how much is it to watch f1 on sky?
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:27:23
    I really enjoyed watching F1 on Sky. Martin Brundle is a fabulous broadcaster and while I liked the dynamic between him, Jake Humphrey, DC and Eddie Jordan on the BBC, I was always entertained and impressed by the high production values evident on Sky F1.

Can't wait for next week.

The BBC shot themselves in the foot by being cheap skates.
  • Page

of 845 First / Last