Motorsport Page 617

• Page

of 861 First / Last

• Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 13:48:55 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought that Sky were shit for what it's worth, aside from the actual commentary. Lazenby, Hill and Herbert are probably the least satisfying team I have seen in a long time... and I watched F1 in the ITV days.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Dec 2012 13:50:28 14,432 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Skypad is pretty good with Ant analysing incidents, i've enjoyed a few of those especially the virtual bits; compared to Gary anderson scribbling on notepads

Crofty is too shouty and i think they sometimes struggle to narrate the over-arching state of the race focussing toom uch on whats on our screen so you're left floundering as to what gaps are changing, but in fairness a big chunk of that is down to the lack lustre FOM displays.
  • superdelphinus 1 Dec 2012 13:53:12 8,074 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say overall they are quite similar but I find the bbc a bit more polished, which is understandable I guess. Also their VT bits are much better than sky's in my opinion. Sky has lots more hours but not really any more depth but they have much better pundits overall. Lazenby really is crap though, surprised if they keep him.

Commentary wise I thought again both were pretty even, croft was a bit worse than I though he'd be though, particularly towards the end of the season.

I always watched the bbc when they both had them live though because I can't get sky f1 hd on virgin media at the moment, childishly
  • Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 14:03:35 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and Gary Anderson vs Ted Kravitz, Anderson wins hands down. It just isn't even a comparison in terms of their knowledge... Anderson makes Kravitz look like a simpleton.

Many a time I found myself listening intently to what Anderson was saying vs thinking "well duh" to Kravitz's insights.
  • Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 14:04:50 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pissed off about the lack of Sky F1 HD on Virgin too.

Fucking ridiculous. I'd rather watch the highlights than pay that much for an SD feed.

Edited by Psychotext at 14:05:00 01-12-2012
  • dufftownallan 1 Dec 2012 15:06:53 4,725 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    brundle is the jewel in skys crown really, it would be nice to get him and dc back together. lazenby is too "matey" and self aware and as much as I like damon he just doesn't seem at all comfortable on camera. the problem with skys coverage could be summed up by georgie thompson; she's really only used to provide leading questions to ant and I think that's a bit of a shame. it seems an odd criticism but I just feel like sky are trying too hard and it doesn't feel as natural and warm as it does on the beeb. of course, sky is the fucking devil, they should never have been allowed to wrestle the rights off the bbc.

that said, it's been nice not having to deal with eddie jordan, my eyes haven't rolled nearly as much this season...
  • Nth 1 Dec 2012 15:58:13 3,121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've only watched Sky via dodgy web streams and have to say Brundle and Crofty are pretty terrible, Croft especially. Lazenby is a joke and even the ex drivers add nothing. Far too many people presenting weak content, exactly as I expected. My only beef with the BBC coverage is the fuckwit EJ who can't string a sentence together, he makes Blundell seem like a broadcasting God. I've no problem with Lee if she does take over from Jake although nothing's been announced, I just pray they can keep hold of DC who has been excellent. Ben Edwards is good too.
  • mal 1 Dec 2012 16:26:06 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I personally don't see the need for an Edwards/Croft type person in the commentary booth. Both DC and Brundle have improved immeasurably since they started commentating, and I believe either could carry the commentary adequately. Seems to me you'd do better to have DC or Brundle with one of the reserve drivers, a bit like they do on 5 Live.

Perhaps you could argue I'm too familiar with the sport, which is why I don't get much from Edwards or Croft's input, but I'm not sure I buy that. DC and Brundle as often provide running order updates and other stuff which is strictly why the straight man is there, and the occasions where a question from the presenter sparks some insight from the techie are far outweighed by the times the techie comes up with something spontaneously from what he sees in the race, it seems to me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DanB24 1 Dec 2012 16:42:04 2,033 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And another great season outro from the Beeb. http://youtu.be/otJ1oZhWmq4 :)
  • altitude2k 1 Dec 2012 17:04:49 4,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Oh, and Gary Anderson vs Ted Kravitz, Anderson wins hands down. It just isn't even a comparison in terms of their knowledge... Anderson makes Kravitz look like a simpleton.

Many a time I found myself listening intently to what Anderson was saying vs thinking "well duh" to Kravitz's insights.
    Except for the plenty of times Anderson was just plain wrong throughout the season. For example, when McLaren had their mid-season slump, he was plenty happy to tell the world about how he'd old Paddy Lowe at the start of the season that their low chassis concept was a development dead end. Funny how he kept quiet on the subject when they started picking back up. That was the final straw for me, also often seeming a bit bitter that he's no longer actively engineering.

But having the benefit of watching both sets of coverage this last year, Sky did the better job hands down. They need to get rid of Lazenby. Immediately. But other than that the commentary is better (I find Crofty ridiculously hilarious - often choosing him over the BBC1 commentary last year), the pundits are better, analysis from Anthony Davidson is particularly good.

It would not surprise me if a few others jump ship from the Beeb for net year once contracts start expiring.
  • Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 17:37:03 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That he made the wrong call doesn't really change the knowledge level though. Kravitz seems to have the technical level of an armchair fan (me).

I really disagree about Sky doing the better job hands down though. I'm really not seeing how anyone could come to that conclusion outside of maybe on the commentary, and even then it's certainly not hands down (Crofty is better than Edwards, but I think DC and Brundle are fairly even).
  • altitude2k 1 Dec 2012 19:42:46 4,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So...HRT is out in 2013. Not a bad thing IMO, they were genuinely a danger at some races. Purely the car's performance - I thought both de la Rosa and Karthikeyan did a reasonable job behind the wheel, no matter what people might choose to believe.
  • Psychotext 1 Dec 2012 19:45:03 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are they actually out now? I thought they were looking for a new owner.
  • Kostabi 1 Dec 2012 19:48:44 4,932 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Knowing now that they were indeed racing with parts of a questionable lifespan I'd say they were definitely the bravest drivers on the grid. Nothing beats the feeling of going 180mph and not knowing if you'll stop without the aid of a wall...
  • altitude2k 1 Dec 2012 19:48:55 4,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Missed the deadline. Official list of entrees is now up from the FIA.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104676
  • altitude2k 1 Dec 2012 19:52:50 4,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Knowing now that they were indeed racing with parts of a questionable lifespan I'd say they were definitely the bravest drivers on the grid. Nothing beats the feeling of going 180mph and not knowing if you'll stop without the aid of a wall...
    Not least because the brakes exploded a couple of times on Karthikeyan. Absolutely terrifying! People are quick to judge his ability, but as you say, he really needed massive cahooneys to deal with that.

Edited by altitude2k at 19:53:19 01-12-2012
  • PatrickEwing 7 Dec 2012 14:11:55 2,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seen reports to today that it might not be Lee 'hips' McKenzie after all for BBC anchor, Telegraph reporting it could be Suzi 'Legs' Perry which would absolutely get my vote.

Also
    Anyone else interested in this new book by Adam Parr about his time in F1. He's written it as a graphic Novel, I particularly like this point as reported by Joe Saward

This is instructional in itself and makes the point that F1 is “a strange culture indeed in which people take legal action to avoid saving £10 million a year”.
    I'm just not sure whether to get hardback or digital format.
  • Nth 7 Dec 2012 14:27:09 3,121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've never seen the attraction in Perry, I'd rather have Lee as she knows the sport inside out.
  • Bremenacht 7 Dec 2012 17:07:40 18,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    Seen reports to today that it might not be Lee 'hips' McKenzie after all for BBC anchor, Telegraph reporting it could be Suzi 'Legs' Perry which would absolutely get my vote.
    I'd guess that's feverish imagination on the Telegraphs part, seeing as not only was she considered top Telegraph tottie, but they employed her too.

She stopped doing Moto GP because travel stress may have contributed towards her pregnancy issue, so I don't see her taking it all up again. She'd be even busier in F1.
  • Nth 13 Dec 2012 13:59:19 3,121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surprised to see Norbert Haug leaving Mercedes. Lewis either knew or he'll be pissed off I reckon.
  • Spunkweazle 13 Dec 2012 16:09:37 470 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    instead of Suzi Perry, i would like to nominate her gadget show co host Pollyanna Woodward.

But only if Lee McKenzie cant do it

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Nth 17 Dec 2012 20:48:58 3,121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kobayashi rules himself out of F1 for 2013, hopes to be back in 2014 http://t.co/65NdIW8y

F1 can be so rubbish. No Kamui but we do get chumps like Di Resta to 'excite' us instead.
  • elephantjuice 17 Dec 2012 21:04:03 675 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shame about Kobayashi but glad to hear that Grosjean is still at Lotus. For all his 'incidents' the guy's quick and obviously a talented driver. Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes and has a good season.
  • Kostabi 17 Dec 2012 21:08:04 4,932 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makes me angry.

There's a guy that has fans willing to stump up 8 million euros of their own money and a company still fails to latch onto that? I'd bet that the fanbase would buy literally any product that got Kamui onto the grid after that show of support.

Sigh.
  • shamblemonkee 21 Dec 2012 13:03:46 14,432 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    suzi perry confirmed for the beeb

https://twitter.com/BBCSport
  • Psychotext 21 Dec 2012 13:22:30 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny how she's gone from hating F1 (how edgy!) to hosting the show.
  • Psychotext 21 Dec 2012 13:26:35 54,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, they're missing the opener again. Muppets.

Live Grands Prix:

China, 14 April
    Spain, 12 May
    Canada, 9 June
    Silverstone, 30 June
    TBA*, 21 July
    Belgium, 25 August
    Italy, 8 September
    Japan, 13 October
    India, 27 October
    Brazil, 24 November
    Edited by Psychotext at 13:26:49 21-12-2012
  • Bremenacht 21 Dec 2012 14:00:08 18,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    suzi perry confirmed for the beeb

https://twitter.com/BBCSport
    Wow. What a turnaround.

Never say never, I guess.
  • DanB24 21 Dec 2012 18:07:58 2,033 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite a slap in the face for Lee McKenzie though. I'd have preferred it if she'd gotten the job.
  • superdelphinus 21 Dec 2012 18:38:53 8,074 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder whether she really wanted it though
  • Page

of 861 First / Last