• FWB 4 Nov 2012 15:23:25 45,668 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Nov 2012 15:27:59 26,641 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Not amazingly difficult when you have the fastest car. I don't think he's outperforming any of the world champions this year.
    Bit I'd also argue as to whether he does have a definitively faster car, particularly when the Red Bull was really struggling in the first half of the season, yet Vettel still kept himself right in amongst it.

If winning the championship 3 times in a row doesn't somehow put you in the same category as the rest of the front runners, I don't know what does.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 15:29:42 04-11-2012
  • DanB24 4 Nov 2012 15:28:06 2,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DanB24 4 Nov 2012 15:36:25 2,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cracking race today. :)
  • Nth 4 Nov 2012 16:28:40 3,126 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's possible to be a 3 times champion without being thought of a legend, just ask Nelson Piquet.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Nov 2012 16:46:16 26,641 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think anyone is trying to proclaim him as a legend. I'm just arguing against the point that he's apparently not as good a driver as the other top drivers in the championship. Even though he's potentially about to beat them all for the 3rd straight time. Purely by luck.
  • Bremenacht 4 Nov 2012 17:17:44 19,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plenty of pundits rate Vettel more highly than Alonso, Hamilton or Raikkonen.
  • AaronTurner 4 Nov 2012 18:09:02 7,886 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had it been Hamilton that clipped a wing and drove off the road to pass someone people would have been saying he's a real racer showing massive desire!

Vettel did extremely well today.
  • Psychotext 4 Nov 2012 18:27:12 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, fair play. Coming from last twice in a race to finish 3rd is pretty damn impressive.

Sure, he had the second safety car help him out, but obviously he'd have been in a much better position anyway had he not smushed his wing on the first one. I wonder how many overtakes he made in total.
  • altitude2k 4 Nov 2012 18:59:49 4,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Had it been Hamilton that clipped a wing and drove off the road to pass someone people would have been saying he's a real racer showing massive desire!
    Oh really? You didn't hear my choice words at the TV last season. Disappointed for the most part. Have had no reason to be upset with Lewis this year though.

I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren are in a bit of trouble next year. Vodafone on their way out, losing probably their biggest asset, and then today's performance in front of their investors. Good effort all round!
  • Deleted user 4 November 2012 19:50:41
    what a race. after the bore fest of the last few races, that was an all time classic.

Superb. KIMI \O/

great race from Vettel. Fortunate with safety cars, and the fact that every car before him seem to self destruct, but still, a great race.

Hamilton, for all vettel luck, hamilton is on the opposite end of the luck spectrum. Here. Singapore. Maldando antics in valencia, only person to pick up a pucnture at hockenheim. Ashame for the title race, he def been up there.
  • mal 4 Nov 2012 21:14:18 22,850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it just me, or has Perez completely gone to seed since he signed his contract with McLaren for next year? It's one thing driving a bit more aggressively once your future's improved, but that's two weeks in a row he's blatantly driven into someone else. Perhaps McLaren should pretend they were MacLaren when negotiating, and buy him a pram for next year.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 4 Nov 2012 21:25:52 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think if anything it's the pressure of knowing he's going to have to fill Hamilton's shoes. I think it's broken his brain a bit.
  • Nth 5 Nov 2012 10:07:19 3,126 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't see McLaren being title contenders next year, Button is weak in qualifying and Perez is still inexperienced, unless they build a rocket-ship of course.
  • shamblemonkee 5 Nov 2012 10:12:13 14,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vettel vs. Alonso - redux next year :D
  • Flying_Pig 5 Nov 2012 10:33:14 11,537 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brilliant race yesterday

Vettel drove brilliantly (after the first safety car) and although he got lucky with the second SC, last to 3rd is an amazing performance.

I agree that McLaren will find it tough next year - Jenson is my favourite driver, but he lacks the real talent of a Hamilton/Alonso etc. Perez is a bit of an unknown, but as someone said above, seems to have gone a bit mental since signing for McLaren. They'll need to bring plenty of spare front wings to races next year.

Hamilton at Mercedes is looking like an increasingly interesting prospect. Rosberg's pretty good, but hopefully we'll see loads of out-and-out racing from Hamilton next year. Even if it is for 10th place.
  • Nth 5 Nov 2012 11:29:20 3,126 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Rosberg will get destroyed next year, I just hope Mercedes can at least build something reasonable for once.
  • mal 5 Nov 2012 12:17:05 22,850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno. With any luck Jenson will do better as the lead driver. When he's got a car he's happy with he can win world championships, but when he's got a car which isn't quite set up for him he's not got the skills of an Alonso to drive any old rust bucket. Seems to have been every race recently where Button was complaining about the setup, while Hamilton was disappearing into the distance. That could be down to Hamilton being more adaptable than Button, or it could just be that the car's designed to Hamilton's strengths, with the odd +-1 applied for Button.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Spunkweazle 5 Nov 2012 12:25:01 470 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i think there is a strong argument for making the DRS marker boards from steel reinforced concrete

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Flying_Pig 5 Nov 2012 12:53:57 11,537 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    i think there is a strong argument for making the DRS marker boards from steel reinforced concrete with spikes
    :o
  • X201 5 Nov 2012 12:55:43 15,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    i think there is a strong argument for making the DRS marker boards from steel reinforced concrete
    The lines at the side of the track should have nails sticking up from them.
  • brokenkey 5 Nov 2012 13:04:45 7,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren are in a bit of trouble next year. Vodafone on their way out, losing probably their biggest asset, and then today's performance in front of their investors. Good effort all round!
    It would appear the the Vodafone sponsorship got extended for another 12 months just before the Korean GP.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Bremenacht 5 Nov 2012 15:44:23 19,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Seems to have been every race recently where Button was complaining about the setup, while Hamilton was disappearing into the distance. That could be down to Hamilton being more adaptable than Button, or it could just be that the car's designed to Hamilton's strengths, with the odd +-1 applied for Button.
    Earlier this year it was the reverse; earlier still, the it was the same. Remember Lewis putting that picture on twitter 'cos JB was doing better than him?

I guess it's the updates they make throughout the year that upsets a drivers feel for his car. Or confidence. I really don't know.
  • Raiko101 6 Nov 2012 04:25:21 6,727 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope Perez lives up to expectations. Though I was quite surprised they'd signed him. What about Kobayashi?!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DanB24 7 Nov 2012 17:41:10 2,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've not looked at the translation yet but the animated pictures tell the story.
    http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1/2012/11/07-11971/Pazzesco%3A+La+Red+Bull+%C3%A8+di...+gomma!
  • shamblemonkee 7 Nov 2012 18:23:38 14,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    I've not looked at the translation yet but the animated pictures tell the story.
    http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1/2012/11/07-11971/Pazzesco%3A+La+Red+Bull+%C3%A8+di...+gomma!
    quick google auto-translate gives the gist of it;

FORMULA 1: CRAZY: THE RED BULL IS ... RUBBER!
    Watch the video! The nose of the RB8 twists dramatically. And there are others who suspect
    For months, for years there was talk of flexible structures in F1 . Wings that bend to touch the ground, or "rotate" backwards. But the images of these videos are really impressive . The Reb Bull of Vettel and Webber to twist it around the nose . And it does so evident that when - in sequence to the box - a mechanic replaces the nose of the car Seb, just grab the two cameras and the entire structure is deformed things if it were made ​​of rubber ! Clearly this point also controls the flexibility of the wings are not much use. If a twist is all over the face, you may think that, on the move, it is easily possible to bring the airfoils to the ground by increasing efficiency, so the load. It is legal all this? Some prominent members of the opposing teams point out now that "someone" has taken too much liberty with the structural components. From 2013 the rules will be tightened. But in the meantime there is a world at stake. Here is the Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JN0F5H29v0
    Edited by shamblemonkee at 18:24:46 07-11-2012

Edited by shamblemonkee at 18:25:30 07-11-2012
  • Psychotext 7 Nov 2012 19:01:38 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /shrug

It's obviously been passing scrutineering so it goes back to the age old question of the testing needing to get better (or the rules more specific) or everyone else needing to get on Red Bull's level.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 15:45:28 55,057 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Newey driving "his" cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiW0w-bEdw&feature=watch-vrec

Awesome. \o/
  • Flying_Pig 8 Nov 2012 16:33:05 11,537 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unless I'm missing something, that nose-change clip doesn't show anything to suggest a flexible/rubber front wing...?
  • billythekid 8 Nov 2012 16:50:33 11,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Page

of 903 First / Last