PS3 Media Server: the greatest piece of software that ever was made Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• nikobe 23 Apr 2009 10:16:32 8 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would say that if you use Wireless G its not quite enough for streaming HD on the default quality settings, the bitrate just can't cope. Not a fault of the software or ps3 just the limit of the wireless.
  • PodlingJuice 23 Apr 2009 10:50:08 262 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This program is great.

That is all.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2009 10:52:02 60,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Works fantastically.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Red-Moose 26 Apr 2009 18:08:45 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nikobe wrote:
    Would say that if you use Wireless G its not quite enough for streaming HD on the default quality settings, the bitrate just can't cope. Not a fault of the software or ps3 just the limit of the wireless.

I haven't tried HD but it works fine for full DVDs over Wireless G.

I just realised that PS3 Media Server will concatenate your VIDEO_TS folder and present it as a [DVD-ISO] and play it straight off from the XMB.

This is amAZING!! :)
  • Deleted user 26 April 2009 18:19:16
    Red Moose wrote:
    nikobe wrote:

I haven't tried HD but it works fine for full DVDs over Wireless G.

I just realised that PS3 Media Server will concatenate your VIDEO_TS folder and present it as a [DVD-ISO] and play it straight off from the XMB.

Are those the folders that I need to use VLC to open and play as one yeah? If so that is bloody impressive.
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2009 19:07:29 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:

Really? XBMC could do this, but haven't managed it with anything else. Get in
  • Red-Moose 26 Apr 2009 22:06:57 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

Are those the folders that I need to use VLC to open and play as one yeah? If so that is bloody impressive.

Yeah, exactly. I've tried it with a bunch of full DVD Fab entire disc folders, it presents the movie (and whatever other VOBs are present - each series will get a concatenated video) as a single movie file in DVD format when you are in XMB. Even gets a little disc image as well. (to clarify, it's with a directory VIDEO_TS as originally structured with the film made up of 1GB VOBS).

OT, this has pretty much cancelled any intention I had of building a dedicated media PC, as anything can come off a few TB of external USB storage from my laptop.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2009 22:39:45
    That is pretty cool. I've been ripping my entire DVD collection onto my PC for ease of use and backup and it took me about a week to realise that the folders I was ripping were not readable by the 360.
  • forcephil 27 Apr 2009 12:46:20 9 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i tend to hardwire my ps3 when using ps3media center.

my pc to router is connected via 56mb homeplugs.

can stream 720p.mkv no problems. it does stutter at 1080p due to my homeplugs may have to invest in some 200mb ones.

i couldnt get ps3ms to detect my ps3 with NOD32 smart security - all i did was disable nod firewall and ran windows firewall.

• Psychotext 30 Apr 2009 21:39:14 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just tried this for the first time (finally) on the lost mkv file. Handled it well, though it did completely freak out for a minute when I tried to fast forward it.

Will give it a blast later on a ripped DVD.
  • klangster 1 May 2009 08:11:25 4 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi all - just registered here. I agree with everyone here - the PS3 Media Server is a fantastic piece of software that has pretty much made my PS3 the centre of my home entertainment system!

However, one thing I've noticed recently is that the Media Server icon sometimes disappears from the XMB. The only reliable way I've found of getting it back is to restart the HTTP server from the Media Server control panel and then it pops straight back in and everything is fine. However, it's a bit of pain to head back to the PC in order to do this - anyone seen this before?

cheers all,

Sean
  • Red-Moose 1 May 2009 08:22:20 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would imagine this is a router issue TBH. I have mine on 24/7 for weeks on end.

What router are you using?
  • Dougs 1 May 2009 08:24:04 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scanning for servers again doesn't find it?
  • klangster 1 May 2009 09:05:51 4 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for your replies - No, scanning again for servers doesn't find it. If I restart the http service, the icon pops up again with no further input needed... by the time I've gone back downstairs into the living room, the PS3 Media Server Icon is there!

Also, one thing I should mention. I used to have the Media Server running as a service and it never dropped off the XMB at all. However, I've recently changed my a/v and firewall settings (Windows 7!) and I think I've made all the relevant changes and exceptions but, for some reason, using it as a service doesn't work any more. The service starts but the PS3 doesn't see the PC. So, I've gone back to running it as an Application - which works absolutely fine... apart from the icon intermittently disappearing!

So, I'm not sure it's a router issue if my previous experience of running it as a service is anything to go by.

Hmmmmmmmmm
  • Dougs 1 May 2009 09:08:21 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beats me. But that's not hard.

Oh, and welcome by the way. :)
  • klangster 1 May 2009 09:32:15 4 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :-) Thanks a lot!!

Must agree though - fantastic bit of software!
  • greenthumb 1 May 2009 11:12:38 338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i installed this the other day and it is pretty amazing, although i was watching a film and every so often it would stop and stutter a bit before carrying on fine. this happened for the complete film. is there a setting i can change to stop this? it wasnt a HD film and it was wireless at both ends, ps3 and a laptop with 4gb ram and 2.5ghz dual core thing
  • Dougs 1 May 2009 11:35:28 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wireless both ends is likely to have been the problem
  • Red-Moose 1 May 2009 12:01:29 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    klangster wrote:

So, I'm not sure it's a router issue if my previous experience of running it as a service is anything to go by.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Hmm....sounds like a Windows issue then :)
  • Deleted user 1 May 2009 12:03:50
    What are you streaming? Streaming MP4 is a little b0rked.
  • Red-Moose 1 May 2009 12:05:09 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    greenthumb wrote:
    i installed this the other day and it is pretty amazing, although i was watching a film and every so often it would stop and stutter a bit before carrying on fine. this happened for the complete film. is there a setting i can change to stop this? it wasnt a HD film and it was wireless at both ends, ps3 and a laptop with 4gb ram and 2.5ghz dual core thing

My spot diagnosis is the size of the buffer and how good a router you have when going wireless wireless. Some routers do suck considerably at this, some are very good (my old Philips sucked, but my D-Link does it with ease).
  • klangster 1 May 2009 12:06:21 4 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can adjust the bandwidth that is use accordingly in the 'transcoding settings' tab. Check the FAQ tab in the program for more details on doing this.

It's a little case of trial and error! :-)

cheers,

Sean
  • Red-Moose 1 May 2009 12:06:51 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Just installed this and WOW!!!

Between this and PlayTV the PS3 is now a very good media player.

I agree. I used to use my 360 as the PS3 had problems with huge directories but it really should be shipped with every PS3 as standard software IMHO.
  • KFR42 3 May 2009 13:46:47 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great bit of kit this. I set it up yesterday.

I have youtube working fine, but has anyone managed to get dailymotion videos streaming accross? It seems to recognise the video and says it streaming, but its obviously not as the data transfer speed is not going up.

Also, has nyone had any luck with BBC iPlayer? I can get a listing of videos, but it won't stream any of them. I'm assuming they're not standard streams and are protected in some strange way anyway.

No big deal if neither work, they just seem like cool site to get working.
  • greenthumb 5 May 2009 15:47:38 338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    greenthumb wrote:

My spot diagnosis is the size of the buffer and how good a router you have when going wireless wireless. Some routers do suck considerably at this, some are very good (my old Philips sucked, but my D-Link does it with ease).

thanks for the reply Red Moose. i will try increasing the buffer. the router is a netgear one, its been fine using it for everything else....
  • Psychotext 5 May 2009 15:50:58 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried it a bit more over the weekend. I'm not the biggest fan of how it handles ISOs... but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

I don't think anything will ever replace XBMC for pure awesomeness though. :(
  • Dougs 5 May 2009 16:01:26 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, how do I go about getting it to play video_TS files?
  • figgis 5 May 2009 16:08:36 7,376 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    So, how do I go about getting it to play video_TS files?

find them on your PC and they should appear as a DVD on the PS3
  • Dougs 5 May 2009 16:20:52 68,360 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, when I do that I just get the long list of split MPEG files, not an ISO I can click?
  • Psychotext 5 May 2009 16:22:30 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, you have to pick the file you think is right. You don't get menus etc.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last