Champions Online Page 31

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• iokthemonkey 22 May 2010 13:36:24 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know. I'm just new to it myself so I've no idea what's been added in the interim. All I can say is I'm enjoying it.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• DFawkes 22 May 2010 19:33:49 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a fairly large new area added in a big expansion with quests for about level 40 upwards. If you are high level, there'll probably be enough to revisit for a while at least.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• iokthemonkey 25 May 2010 12:34:54 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still having a lot of fun with my new munitions/two-swords British ninja dude.

Crafting seems a bit weak, though. The only decent thing I've made are bags. Everything else is very underpowered. I hope the next tier of gear gets better.

• iokthemonkey 14 Jun 2010 02:51:44 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm really enjoying CO - there's a lot of hidden stuff though that should be explained. I only just found the other day that you CAN change your power colours (and blaster-power source) from your Powers Menu.

I still dislike the whole Munitions concept and execution (HA!) though. It's not very superheroic to go round shooting everybody (why isn't there a sci-fi blaster/stun pistol option as a default?), the switching around of multiple guns is silly (again, why not have a choice of pistols or rifles and then apply powers to them? Archers don't change bows to use different powers - they change arrows!), some costume weapons disable advantages (you can get Mow 'Em Down which removes the cooldown on your machne gun attack but equip the Ice Blaster and it sticks the cooldown back on) and the costume unlocks on pistols are mismatched - Flintlocks are a costume piece but the Shorty gun only appears when you use the Shorty pistol power replace (which is underpowered) and can't be unlocked in the costume editor.

Oh well. I'm having fun with my Iron Man rip-off now.

• DFawkes 26 Oct 2010 14:54:56 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For those that avoid the front page like the plague, CO is going free to play. Which is nice.

Here's some more specific information for people wondering what will be free:

Free to Play Comparison

It mostly seem to be custom archetypes that are being locked off, so no making an Iron Man/Iceman combo. But as far as missions go, it's almost everything except the 2 extra areas (including the recent Demonflame). That's certainly a lot of game for free, the sub seems more about making your character more customised to your needs. You still have totally free reign in the costume creator though, which is always fun :)

I'm not sure how many EGers still play, but hopefully a few more will join in the superhero shenanigans for this more favourable fee.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Petrarch 26 Oct 2010 14:59:49 3,429 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still dabble about, though being solo means I rarely get to do any of the instances.

It's not too surprising this happened. It's been known for a while the game hasn't done as badly as the forums suggested but also hasn't pulled in the business they were looking for.
  • Whizzo 26 Oct 2010 15:00:54 43,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll probably give it another try, I was in the beta but I felt it was a bit too rough (not being able to use AA made it look horrible to me for a start) but I'm sure it's a lot better than it was.

The Silver Toaster shall fly again!

This space left intentionally blank.

• DFawkes 26 Oct 2010 16:20:35 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's nicely stable now, since the shared engine with STO means they've got 2 teams working on the core engine (I assume).

Now I have to ask, what powers doe the Silver Toaster have?

• Stickman 26 Oct 2010 16:26:29 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At least this way I don't have to be arsed cancelling my sub.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• President_Weasel 26 Oct 2010 16:36:17 9,381 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shark in a Trenchcoat had the power of being the sharpest dressed sea creature of all time, even nattier than his Arch Nemesis, Zoot Suit Orca.

Shame the game itself was a bit shit, though.
  • DFawkes 26 Oct 2010 16:46:03 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    At least this way I don't have to be arsed cancelling my sub.

Yes you do, current subscribers will be set to Gold if they don't cancel - much like Xbox Live they've got Gold for subs or Silver for free users.

I remember Shark in a Trenchcoat, you certain looked awesome! Shame you didn't enjoy the game itself, I still think it's quite good. Maybe not enough for the kind of person that plays MMOs in 5 hour sessions though, so it doesn't really surprise me they're going F2P.

• Scimarad 26 Oct 2010 17:28:01 8,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain Cthulhu will rise again!*

*with a slightly more conventional archetype
  • Spekingur 26 Oct 2010 17:35:14 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How is the Nemesis system nowadays?
    Can you choose to have someone else's Nemesis as your own?
  • iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2010 17:27:05 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, to usher in the awesome age of free-to-play, they're offering lifetime subs again.

And they're only $300, a mere rise of $100 since last year's pricing.

Best of all, the VIP status gives you access to an exclusive room in the Superhero Nightclub! WOOT! Worth $300 just for that!

(Sarcasm Mode Off)

• iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2010 17:29:03 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    For those that avoid the front page like the plague, CO is going free to play. Which is nice.

Here's some more specific information for people wondering what will be free:

Free to Play Comparison

It mostly seem to be custom archetypes that are being locked off, so no making an Iron Man/Iceman combo. But as far as missions go, it's almost everything except the 2 extra areas (including the recent Demonflame). That's certainly a lot of game for free, the sub seems more about making your character more customised to your needs. You still have totally free reign in the costume creator though, which is always fun :)

I'm not sure how many EGers still play, but hopefully a few more will join in the superhero shenanigans for this more favourable fee.

I'd have hoped they were going to give all the base archetypes (kind of like when you roll-up a character using the ''standard'' settings) but no, they're limited to EIGHT archetypes, some of which seem very specific. There are no Martial Artists or Armour characters for free players, for example but they have guns. Aside from The Punisher, how many superHEROES (not pulp characters) use guns? Not that many, really.

• DFawkes 12 Nov 2010 18:10:12 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the Archetypes they've given - here if you want to see - they seem a bit limited. Not that it'll affect me, but if they want to push it as much as planned they're not ideal.

I can almost see what they were going for - Ranger AoE, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tank, Healer, Defensive Buff User and some slight hybrids. But they really needed an Iron Man rip-off class and maybe a Wolverine rip-off one. Maybe focus on DoT for them.

Since full customisation is a Gold function I can see why they'd limit it to encourage subscribing (and I agree the Lifetime Sub is now one MASSIVE rip-off given what it entitles you to as a new player), but they're limiting interest with those Archetypes.

• Petrarch 12 Nov 2010 18:32:22 3,429 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    Best of all, the VIP status gives you access to an exclusive room in the Superhero Nightclub! WOOT! Worth $300 just for that!

(Sarcasm Mode Off)

Having been there before, it's a load of old shite. Just like the Captain's Table in STO. Everyone that can access that went there once and hasn't been back since more or less.
  • iokthemonkey 12 Nov 2010 21:28:46 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the Archetypes they've given - here if you want to see - they seem a bit limited. Not that it'll affect me, but if they want to push it as much as planned they're not ideal.

I can almost see what they were going for - Ranger AoE, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tank, Healer, Defensive Buff User and some slight hybrids. But they really needed an Iron Man rip-off class and maybe a Wolverine rip-off one. Maybe focus on DoT for them.

Since full customisation is a Gold function I can see why they'd limit it to encourage subscribing (and I agree the Lifetime Sub is now one MASSIVE rip-off given what it entitles you to as a new player), but they're limiting interest with those Archetypes.

I think the Savage beast-type archetype is supposed to be Wolverine. But the selected archetypes are VERY limited and not representitive of a broad enough range, IMO.

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • DFawkes 24 Jan 2011 00:14:35 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As some of you may know, CO goes free in a couple of days. Interested in free? For returning players, you'll probably have characters you had locked until you either subscribe or convert them to an archtype - instead of the open system for subscribers, you now have set classes. Curious? Have a look!

However, if you're interested and a new player, it might be worth signing up now as the servers will get hammered on the 25th. I can honestly say I've been enjoying it a lot since it came out, though I've been playing it fairly casually. I've not even hit the Adventure Pack content (the stuff locked to F2P players), it's still a very enjoyable superhero game without those areas and full customisation.

But it's one of those games where you have to sign-up to patch them in time for the F2P going live, so here are some keys so you can get downloaded and patched up:

- CCTBKFKWQTTLM4EFKXWCKG93K
    - CORAFCQYLEPHRUCPFWHJ4QLVN

Yeah, I know there's only 2, but I'd be surprised if even 1 person was interested to be honest, what with other superhero MMOs out at the moment. If you do use one, please say which so no-one else tries. Yes, these are referral keys so I profit too ;) Even if those 2 are used, I have others I can e-mail using the Referral system.

Just go to this page to sign-up and enter a key, then there should be a link to the client here. I'd recommend not actually playing until the 25th though, as it's not officially live yet so if you started early your character may be locked after the trial period those codes offer (14 days) ends.

That's a lot of typing for something that I admit will most likely result in tumbleweed. Can't say I didn't try though :)

• iokthemonkey 24 Jan 2011 01:46:43 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My existing toons don't fit any of those archetypes.

Great.

• DFawkes 24 Jan 2011 04:32:02 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've kept a bot quiet on the converting old toons. I have a feeling it'll work like this: it won't, they forgot to implement that for launch.

Maybe I'm just bring cynical, maybe you'll be able to login on the 25th and it'll gently tell you that you have to respec, but it's free. I hope so, returning players would be lovely.

• iokthemonkey 24 Jan 2011 12:58:42 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is Cryptic. The only way to convert them will be to pay.

I might take a look when it goes live, but it'll no doubt take a day to patch...

• Whizzo 24 Jan 2011 13:14:39 43,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm wondering would it be worth picking up the retail release even though I'll be playing it free? What benefits does someone get as a retail customer? It's only a fiver from GAME's website so if there's something, even just some Cryptic Points and the fact I don't have to bother downloading it, it's probably worth a fiver.

• iokthemonkey 24 Jan 2011 15:54:58 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got 400 (IIRC) points on my account, a ''freebie'' from when I bought the game. But 400 points won't go very far - costume packs are about 300 points I think...

• DFawkes 24 Jan 2011 16:52:58 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it's 400 Points. No much. Plus the disc won't matter much, the F2P client is almost a complete patch. Not 100%, but it'll be big.

• Whizzo 24 Jan 2011 17:08:09 43,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll save my money then!

• Hunam 24 Jan 2011 17:10:10 20,674 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too many furries in Champions to be honest.
  • DFawkes 24 Jan 2011 17:25:23 23,040 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Strange criticism, yet entirely true. If you don't like furries, it's not the game for you. Or rip-offs, when Iron Man 2 came out there were tons of Starks, Tony Starks and Gold/Steel/Metal Man builds.

• Page

of 33 First / Last