Champions Online Page 3

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Aug 2009 10:19:29 36,259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We should make an EG guild seeing as how we'll all be playing around the same time.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 10:24:08 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a bad idea that - should open a few more doors if there's a bunch of us flying around.

I wonder if the US/EU servers are going to be split when CO goes live.
  • LetsGo 3 Aug 2009 10:32:43 5,069 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds good... next time we can play is on Friday, damn stupid Beta timings!
  • Res 3 Aug 2009 10:38:43 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    I wonder if the US/EU servers are going to be split when CO goes live.

Everything is going to be instanced (Conan style, but hopefully not as rubbish), no server selection. I suppose it is still possible that the publisher could split up the US and EU players, but the developers have said they do not intend to.
  • LetsGo 3 Aug 2009 10:46:44 5,069 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you say everything was instanced?!?!?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Aug 2009 10:47:45 36,259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, you can't create your hero. If you load up CO right now, you just get a message saying you can't log in.

I totally called it.

• Res 3 Aug 2009 10:53:55 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Did you say everything was instanced?!?!?

Like it was in Conan but with a higher player limit, read about it here.

I am not really sure what to make of it at the moment, I suppose it depends how well it matches you with people on your friends list when you move across instances.

The problem is there are times where it will completely break immersion if you needed to switch instances, you would also have to search out people to play with if you wanted to focus on RP as so on. There is only one good point I can think of at the moment, if the player base stays fairly small then at least the players are all together, instead of being spread across multiple empty servers.
  • AssassiN Owner/Editor, Computers N Stuff 3 Aug 2009 17:35:59 161 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a beta key earlier, but i forgot to write it down and now i can't get back to the page it was on - how can i get hold of my key?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Aug 2009 17:42:37 36,259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Here you go:

http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=86956

I totally called it.

• AssassiN Owner/Editor, Computers N Stuff 3 Aug 2009 17:46:57 161 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks DDevil, you're a star!
  • DFawkes 3 Aug 2009 19:20:54 22,030 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't feel as special now lots of people are in.

It's worth noting that 9 times out of 10- there's a patch on the night. So just take that into consideration before getting all comfy and ready to play. Despite having played plenty times, I always forgot and ended up having to wait an hour before I could play, despite having my gaming jumper on.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• LetsGo 3 Aug 2009 19:32:24 5,069 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnt think we could play it until Friday?
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 19:44:51 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We can't until the next period, correct, even though it says the server is up.

As far as I understand it CO is still classed as closed beta, though I read some weeks back it would have a 3 week open beta before launch and would then move to the early access a week ahead of the official launch.

No idea if that's still the plan as I've not read the site fully.
  • LetsGo 3 Aug 2009 19:45:48 5,069 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought you could only play it dueing the beta days.

i.e. every weekend or whenever they say.
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 19:49:38 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True - I'd always taken the open beta to mean an "as live" test with the servers always on as it seems unusual to not do that so close to launch.
  • Res 3 Aug 2009 19:50:51 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Open beta starts on August 17th (well, as open as open betas are now, through pre-order), the servers normally open for testing on Wednesday and Friday, but they may email you if they plan to open them on additional days. We should be able to test this Wednesday, the news on the beta site just hasn't been updated yet.
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 20:13:07 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually just noticed from their pre-order page that taking a lifetime or 6 month sub gets you access to the STO beta when the time comes.

Hurry up Amazon and get the pre-order codes sent out.
  • Res 3 Aug 2009 22:07:34 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How much is the lifetime sub? I regret not getting that in LOTRO after playing for a few months then always wanting to go back, refusing simply because I didn't want to spend more money on the game that could have gone towards the lifetime sub. Plus I normally buy a lot less rubbish games when I am playing an MMO, so I would end up saving money.

/convinces self to buy lifetime subscription to a game I will probably only play for two months
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 22:20:18 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't say, it looks like you need the pre-order keys the retailers are due to start sending out for the offer to display rather than the beta keys we and anyone who has been in the test for months have.
  • Res 3 Aug 2009 22:30:44 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People are saying $200 on their forums, perhaps I should begin convincing myself not to buy it. By the time I would have covered the cost of that SWTOR and FFXIV will be out, not sure I can see it paying off.
  • Petrarch 4 Aug 2009 09:21:47 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They have the pricing details up today, it's $200 for the lifetime sub and $60 for the 6 months.

Can't order them however without a pre-order key. Amazon are supposed to be sending these after the 3rd (yesterday), don't know about Play.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Aug 2009 09:59:02 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lifetime subs are a bit risky, what if they end up being rubbish and getting axed after 12 months?
  • Dizzy 4 Aug 2009 10:05:11 2,437 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Champions has 0 chance of being axed after 12 months. All the CoX players will be there from day 1.
  • Whizzo 4 Aug 2009 10:07:22 42,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'll wait until I've played the beta extensively before making any judgement on life time subs.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Pirotic Moderator 4 Aug 2009 10:08:04 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really? are they looking at it like an unofficial sequel then? I often find a lot of MMO players stick with the original rather than upgrading, Everquest has more players than Everquest II for example.

Talking about sony games, I'm always getting this game mixed up with that sony superhero MMO out soon as well. Can't be good having two similar games out at the same time, Microsoft did the right thing to pull the plug on the superhero MMO they had in development I suspect.
  • Dizzy 4 Aug 2009 10:11:58 2,437 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    >Really? are they looking at it like an unofficial sequel then? I

Yes. Basically CoX will be dead in 2 months (and they know it). A lot of people stick indeed to original MMO because fantasy MMOs are gear/grin fests. CoX was never like that, it is a quick log-in-and-play game, just like Champions. All my CoX "friends" are getting ready for CO.
  • Petrarch 4 Aug 2009 10:24:37 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem with CoH is that they've got lazy having had the field clear for the last 5 or so years. The rumblings back when I canned my sub were a lot folks thinking the devs simply dont have anything on offer that could rise to the challenge against CO or DCO.

I know NCsoft paid a lot for the CoH IP, but with all their woes in recent months I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell it on or even cut their losses entirely within the next 12 months.
  • Petrarch 4 Aug 2009 11:24:39 3,424 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It seems I was wrong about the keys. I had assumed everyone needed a pre-order key to take advantage of the offer, but when I logged into my account earlier the option to take the sub was there. Not sure if that's because I'm registered, have an existing beta key or it counts as a pre-order directly with Cryptic, but it seems to have worked.

I went the whole heap for the lifetime offer as I think that's a very reasonable price for it alongside the perks and it'll remove any worries about your subif you need to disappear for a while.
  • Gl3n Moderator 4 Aug 2009 11:56:23 5,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not that i've tried the beta yet, but i am tempted by the lifetime sub. Always regret missing the Lotro one and being a CoX vet i'm psyched.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• LetsGo 4 Aug 2009 12:31:52 5,069 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played CoH when it first come out and loved it, however, I then played WoW for the first time and wondered why I ever played CoH tbh...

Still... I'll try CO and see what its like :)
  • Page

of 33 First / Last