Champions Online Page 2

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• PiD 22 Jul 2009 11:27:21 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as I know you have to register on the Champions Online site, then you should see a beta preview application button on the upper right of the page.
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2009 11:39:24 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    https://champions-online.com/user/register?destination=preview_application

Go there if you want to register. It's certainly worth seeing if you can get on.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Petrarch 22 Jul 2009 11:40:13 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is a bit misleading as that beta preview application has been there for months which was for closed beta applications and the open beta isn't due to start until next month as far as I knew.
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2009 11:47:51 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as I've read on the forums there, applying puts you in for both. They're letting new people in all the time as they stress test things, so it's worth signing up as there are tests quite frequently now.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Petrarch 22 Jul 2009 11:59:25 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had my app in for at least 4 months, longer maybe as I think I still had my old PC at the time and I've never heard a word from them. Not overly disappointed but I was very keen to see the character creation as it looked fantastic.
  • PiD 22 Jul 2009 12:43:00 3,566 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've changed the wording so its a little less misleading :)

The beta running at the moment is all NDA'd so can't say anything about it, sadly :\
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2009 12:54:01 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The beta NDA is more open than most for Champions. Well, you can say you're in it, that's about it. Most won't even allow that though.

I was hoping for a special edition (I do love them) but apparently there's not going to be one. Not that it matters, it means when the game comes out it'll have everyone on the same level.

• Petrarch 22 Jul 2009 12:56:21 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On the pre-order page it mentions getting Cryptic Bucks for premium in-game items, so it sounds like the transaction model is going ahead to some degree.
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2009 13:01:19 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say I have no interest in that, but I know from Free Realms that's not true. 1 here, another there, you end up paying more than you would if it was just a sub! Not that it won't have a sub aswell, the FAQ still says they haven't decided.

• Dizzy 22 Jul 2009 13:36:52 2,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    >We've changed the wording so its a little less misleading :)

Ok.. because I applied for the beta ages ago. That ad was a bit misleading ;)
  • Kujata 22 Jul 2009 18:29:39 2,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was playing Fallout 3 expansion Point Lookout the other day and found a character called Croatoa. As soon as i saw him i thought 'That name is familiar'.

It took a little while for the light bulb to appear above me head; it was a zone in City of Heroes! A creepy marshland zone full of cheeky witches and a big monster in the lake.

Then i remembered that mission where you had to stop the the little Red Cap dudes from getting in to a portal. There i was with my Storm/Psi Defender using a combination of Hurricane, Torrnado and Storm Cloud to keep the buggers at bay while my Scrapper friends went out on the hunt, looking for little Red Caps to duff in.

Man i loved CoH... Fingers crossed Champions can have the same effect on me in 10 years time.
  • DFawkes 24 Jul 2009 09:32:01 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really want this to be out. the fact I could play it when the beta servers are running is so annoying - I don't want to play too much on a character that's going to be zapped.

I am tempted to try out CoH just so I have a lovely persistant character and can draw valid comparisons (and keep them to myself, blasted NDA), but I won't since I'll be moving on to Champions soon enough. I really can't wait for this to be released though, hopefully we won't see hundreds of clones "Sp1derman", "Spid3rm4n" and the likes. I'd hope people are more imaginative.

• Kujata 24 Jul 2009 16:41:21 2,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I reported a guy once in CoH who was running around kill-stealing from me in one of the low level zones. His name was Batman 1963, or something equally un-inventive.

I then added him to my friend list so I could check on his 'progress'. Sure enough later that evening he was 'GenericHero10452'. I laughed.
  • DFawkes 24 Jul 2009 16:49:49 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do love that. I hope it's the same for CO (not the kill stealing guy). I think they'll crack down on anything copyright infringy, so I don't have to worry about that. But I can still see a hundred "The Mighty Speedman" or "Powerman" and other such generic names. Not that I can really say anything.

• Kujata 24 Jul 2009 17:09:02 2,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My characters tended to be named by their actual names, rather than 'hero' names anyway. That was one of the best things about CoH compared to WoW and its ilk; your characters could be whatever you wanted them to be.

I had a white Witch who was bitten by a vampire and had managed to turn her new regeneration powers to healing others... A blind man who could create phantoms and specters with his mind... A Nazi professor who had used black magic to fight back against the very people he once worked for... A robot who believed she was a girl, but was actually a data mining device planted in to a junior school to harvest information on how to sell things to school children... And so on!

Unfortunately, for those who did what hero names, the longer you play a game like CoH the less names are available. Cryptic did get around that once though by having a several month period where anyone with an account that had been inactive for over a year could lose there name if someone else requested it. Was quite a good system, I got a couple of cool names out of it.
  • DFawkes 24 Jul 2009 17:15:50 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll just be DFawkes. I'm always DFawkes. No-one wants to be called DFawkes. My plan is to have a dual pistol wielding hero with telekinetic powers, like a Jedi Gunslinger. I won't actually call him Jedi Gunslinger though. Or maybe I will...

• Kujata 24 Jul 2009 17:29:20 2,281 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I spent AGES deciding on names for some of my heroes, like tooooo long.

I did make one called Kujata once, but he never made it past level 8 on account of be a bit rubbish.
  • WinterSnowblind 27 Jul 2009 11:04:22 1,250 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm in the beta for this, and so far it feels kinda "meh".. I do enjoy the game for the most part, and the character creation/development is awesome. But it just makes me wish someone could make an offline game like this.

I'm sure it won't be a problem for most, but I just don't see anything about the game that makes it compelling enough to constantly pay a subscription for.
  • DFawkes 27 Jul 2009 11:19:20 24,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still not 100% sure how I fell about it, but the fact I can play it but stil don't must be a clue. Though I'm a bit burnt out on most MMOs at the moment, but I still end up playing Free Realms if I want to play one.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Aug 2009 09:33:29 39,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sooo, anyone grabbed one of those keys on the front page?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Res 3 Aug 2009 09:37:22 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Twice I have been lucky with betas in the last week! Glad I can finally test this game before I pre-order it. Will I be able to create a character before Wednesday or do I have to wait for the test servers to come up?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Aug 2009 09:44:14 39,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No idea. I'm just downloading the client now, but I shall check it out.

Thing is, you'll only be able to play at certain times it seems. On the CO website it says:
    The next scheduled play test for the Champions Online Beta Preview will be held on:
    * Friday, July 31st, 2009 10:00 a.m. 11:59 p.m. PDT.
    PDT is 8 hours behind GMT so that's 6PM to 7AM. A bit annoying for us English daywalkers :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Aug 2009 09:45:09 26,621 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haz teh key!

Quite looking forward to this.
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 09:45:45 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I pre-ordered last Thursday and I should be getting a beta key at some point this week as part of the pre-order offers - nice timing for the keys to appear here as well. Hopefully see a few folks on the server when the test begins.
  • Dizzy 3 Aug 2009 09:45:47 2,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "won't see hundreds of clones "Sp1derman", "Spid3rm4n" and the likes. I'd hope people are more imaginative. "

BTW names in Champions do NOT have to be unique. Everybody could be called "Spiderman" (although they will probably filter out names of "existing" heros).
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Aug 2009 09:46:17 20,647 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's Wednesday & Friday, and basically overnight for us lot. The client is just under 2gb which makes a nice change, but it's all a bit pointless unless they change the test periods.

Dizzy - how do you PM people with the same names?
  • Res 3 Aug 2009 09:48:21 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I believe you use their account name.
  • Innes 3 Aug 2009 10:05:26 119 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    10am PDT is 5 or 6pm GMT. I dont think thats too bad.
  • Petrarch 3 Aug 2009 10:09:16 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's not bad at all, that'll let us get a few hours in during the evening. I'm dying to see the character customization in the flesh as it looks like it's even more detailed than the one CoH uses.
  • Whizzo 3 Aug 2009 10:11:01 43,358 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got a key too, it will be interesting to compare it to CoH. Seeing how well the art style works will be nice too, I'm not the biggest fan of cel-shading.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 33 First / Last