Official Borderlands Thread Page 3

• Page

of 192 First / Last

• absolutezero 23 Jul 2009 12:03:08 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want this to be as far away from Fallout as possible. I want garish colours, whooping raiders and horrible mutants. I want a never ending stream of lewts to play with and tinker over, uhmm and ahhh about what to choose. I want to have a break-neck pace, I want it to be focused and driven about what it wants to achieve. I don't want to wander about I want to go somewhere and kill some dudes.
  • EssAitch 23 Jul 2009 12:23:35 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I wonder if this is going to end up anything like the max max / scavenging type RPG I want it to be. Doubt it.

What's that ID effort that's along similar lines to this?

Rage. That's even more action oriented.
  • EssAitch 23 Jul 2009 12:29:10 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't cream over the lewts too soon. From what I read on the official forums, the loot is pretty much just weapons. And by weapons they mean mostly guns. I wouldn't expect a broad range of clothing, story objects or miscellaneous junk like Fallout.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2009 12:37:01 26,630 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weapons and armour is the only lewt I need.

Maybe a few little thingamybobs here and there.
  • Ged42 23 Jul 2009 15:38:20 7,812 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dammit it's being released right next to Brutal Legend....

sorry Gearbox, Brutal Legend wins
  • EssAitch 24 Jul 2009 11:12:08 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New gameplay trailer out. Short (1:46) but packs a fair bit in.

Looks pretty bloody good.

It's an RPS, apparently.
  • agparrot 24 Jul 2009 11:48:39 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh God I'm going to have to be the girl again, aren't I?

Looks quite Left 4 Borderlands now, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing, yet. Not sure how the levelling works over the different characters though. What if you want to have two party members of the 'smash hulk' variety? Are the character models purely aesthetic choices or are you limited in the type of levelling up you can do?
  • EssAitch 24 Jul 2009 11:51:58 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Oh God I'm going to have to be the girl again, aren't I?

Heh.

Looks quite Left 4 Borderlands now, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing, yet. Not sure how the levelling works over the different characters though. What if you want to have two party members of the 'smash hulk' variety? Are the character models purely aesthetic choices or are you limited in the type of levelling up you can do?

They are four distinct classes, I think. The girl is a "mage" IIRC who can slow time, the three male characters are a brutish melee character, a sneaky sniper and a run of the mill assault soldier.
  • agparrot 24 Jul 2009 11:55:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EssAitch wrote:
    They are four distinct classes, I think. The girl is a "mage" IIRC who can slow time, the three male characters are a brutish melee character, a sneaky sniper and a run of the mill assault soldier.

That sounds fine, but could you conceivably have a party of two snipers and two brutes, or are you limited to one of each, in a co-op game?
  • EssAitch 24 Jul 2009 12:01:37 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    EssAitch wrote:

That sounds fine, but could you conceivably have a party of two snipers and two brutes, or are you limited to one of each, in a co-op game?

That's a very good question.
  • figgis 24 Jul 2009 12:31:18 7,382 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the characters are configurable according to previews, there is some degree of customisation.
  • agparrot 24 Jul 2009 12:46:26 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    I think the characters are configurable according to previews, there is some degree of customisation.

Yes, in the video interview that was posted on the last page, whatsisname the producer talks about how you can increase the various powers of the characters, and he specifically talks about how you can focus on things like the 'berserker rage' type attack of the big, muscular melee guy. But does this mean you can have two (or four?!) 'berserkers' in a co-op party, or are the four archetypes that you see in that latest trailer linked by EssAitch set in stone for the co-op game, in the same way that you always play one of the four pre-determined characters in L4D?

Loved the trailer, too, especially the '#87 Bazillion Guns!' slide - brilliant.
  • EssAitch 24 Jul 2009 12:56:55 1,196 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's pure speculation but the leveling could work like Mass Effect where you keep your party leveled together in single player. If you then want to join a coop game you just take whichever character there is a slot for in the game. After the coop game, any xp earned would then be distributed to the rest of your squad.
  • Huntcjna 24 Jul 2009 13:14:17 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want this to be good but after the abortion that was Brothers In Arms Hells Highway I will have to reserve judgement. I remember how good the Hype machine made that look.

Still the video they released looks great and anything with 'phat lootz' in it tends to get away with problems in other areas for me.
  • Aphex666 24 Jul 2009 13:18:48 151 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is from the Borderlands coop and online FAQ on the Gearbox forums.

link

Drop-in, drop-out?
    You'll be able to join friends or have them join you in online co-op games at any time with your persistent characters.

Four Mordecais?
    You and your friends can play as any combination of character classes.

What if my friend is only level 5?
    Players of any level will be able to join each other in games. We have not announced details about experience scaling for high-level characters fighting low-level enemies.

• BravoGolf Moderator 24 Jul 2009 13:22:49 12,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never really paid much attention before but suddenly am very excited about this game, VERY EXCITED.

Although ... Flashpoint, Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are out more or less within 30 days of each other. Should I be :( or :)
  • Huntcjna 24 Jul 2009 13:24:09 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I never really paid much attention before but suddenly am very excited about this game, VERY EXCITED.

Although ... Flashpoint, Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are out more or less within 30 days of each other. Should I be :( or :)

You should be :)

Your wallet should be :(
  • BravoGolf Moderator 24 Jul 2009 13:26:21 12,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:

You should be :)

Your wallet should be :(

lol, true, I must take off loads of days off.
  • Aphex666 24 Jul 2009 13:27:07 151 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really excited for this it's great to get some loot whoring in a non fantasy environment.

: ) All the way for me. : )

: ) : ) : ) : ) : ) : )
  • agparrot 24 Jul 2009 13:46:03 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aphex666 wrote:

link

Drop-in, drop-out?
    You'll be able to join friends or have them join you in online co-op games at any time with your persistent characters.

Four Mordecais?

Players of any level will be able to join each other in games. We have not announced details about experience scaling for high-level characters fighting low-level enemies.

Ahhhh, thanks Aphex - sounds aces.
  • Aphex666 24 Jul 2009 13:50:44 151 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Aphex666 wrote:

link

Drop-in, drop-out?

Four Mordecais?

Ahhhh, thanks Aphex - sounds aces.

Indeed it does. I'm sure there will be a great pool of people to play with off these forums. Borderlands Thursdays anyone???????
  • agparrot 4 Aug 2009 17:34:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not getting excited about it, because I don't want to be let down by it. If it is as good as it looks like it can be, I'm going to love it. I liked Mercenaries 2, but felt it could have been a lot better, and I loved playing Too Human, but similarly felt there was room for improvement. I am determined not to be disappointed, and for this reason, am keeping the sights aimed low.

Even though I'm secretly over-excited about it!
  • Deleted user 5 August 2009 01:45:06
    Sorry, I just cannot emphasise how excited I am about this game. I'm trying not to buy in to the hype but damn, it *could* be so much fun.

WANT.

Pure and simple.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Aug 2009 08:25:23 35,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gameplay, including vehicles

Video seems to be a few weeks old, but I hadn't seen it. Italian commentary for that extra holiday feeling.

Frankly, I am not so sure. The shooting seems quite tame and samey, so I need the RPG aspects to keep me motivated. I think I generally prefer the Hellgate approach (RPG first, FPS second rather than vice versa) for this kind of hybrid.
  • jozz 9 Aug 2009 11:58:26 4,871 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno, the shooting seems okay to me. It looks to fit between absurdity and realism quite well. The guns sound nice too. If every enemy in the game has Doom AI though it might get a bit tedious. This is a pretty good read what might make the game rubbish here

Main ones for me are the skill trees and the loot. There hasn't been too much mentioned about what skills you can get and I'd love something as varied as Diablo in there. The loot is the other thing. No armour in the game only shields for one and if there's incentive to explore by stumbling on awesome hidden stuff.

Cautiously optimistic at this point. Really hope it turns out great.
  • RedSparrows 9 Aug 2009 12:17:59 24,284 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loot is my main concern - I understand it's only guns etc? Why?!

Also, exploration, as Jozz says. I want the exploration to be RPG to the max.
  • jozz 9 Aug 2009 14:17:30 4,871 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Loot is my main concern - I understand it's only guns etc? Why?!
    It's guns, which there are supposed to be a fuckton of to be fair, shields, ammo and grenade types I think. If they offer a large variety of options with them like support class type stuff, unusual attack options and lots of stat modifications then it should be great.
    AoE weapons and large groups of enemies too please.
  • JusticeMoses 9 Aug 2009 17:28:49 138 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That video was a good find lou. Its reassured me about the shooting elements and I love the electric shock animations shown. Nice to see a video with decent quality too, a lot seem to be really poor making it hard to make out the little details like that animation.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Aug 2009 17:30:07 26,630 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A loot game with no armour?

Hmmm, that sounds a bit wrong :(
  • Page

of 192 First / Last