• Page

of 8 First / Last

• caligari 11 Mar 2009 22:03:11 17,043 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    Darn.

I ordered one of these 5.1 'sound projector' thingums for my 32" LCD. The reviews are pretty good AND I thought it would be easier than having wires all over the place.

One problem - it's freaking massive! I'm having to send it back as there is just no way that I can have this standing under or in front of my TV. ;_;

Does anyone know if there is a slightly smaller version available?

How big is it? Say in comparison with your tv's width?

It's very slightly 'wider' than the TV - but it's also 'taller' than I was expecting. It also weighs about as much as Hulk Hogan, which would be too much for my cheapo Argos-esque stand.
  • Fizzog 11 Mar 2009 22:06:11 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    Darn.

I ordered one of these 5.1 'sound projector' thingums for my 32" LCD. The reviews are pretty good AND I thought it would be easier than having wires all over the place.

One problem - it's freaking massive! I'm having to send it back as there is just no way that I can have this standing under or in front of my TV. ;_;

Does anyone know if there is a slightly smaller version available?

How big is it? Say in comparison with your tv's width?

It's very slightly 'wider' than the TV - but it's also 'taller' than I was expecting. It also weighs about as much as Hulk Hogan, which would be too much for my cheapo Argos-esque stand.

Ah, you could always dump your current tv stand and use the speaker its self as a stand :D
  • caligari 22 Mar 2009 23:03:30 17,043 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sooo - I've received my refund from Amazon for my 5.1 projector. Yay.

BUT - this still leaves me with no 'surround sound'. Boo.

Could somebody please point me towards a system that will be 'piss easy' to set up? I mean REALLY EASY - it usually takes me at least half an hour to get the box open. I just want something that will work with my 360 and Blu-ray player.

If possible I'd prefer to order it from Amazon UK too - as it's less hassle to send back if I break the thing after a week. :D

Oh - and I'd looking to spend no more than about 200.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2009 16:39:07
    Got a noob question guys. How do you get surround sound from a 360? The ps2 and ps3 have optical outs for connecting to a receiver. The 360 doesn't though, so Im not sure how its done.
  • deem 23 Mar 2009 16:42:29 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Um, it does, in the cable.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 23 Mar 2009 16:43:10 12,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 360 has optical on it, you need the HD cable kit thing, it has a slot on that (a shitty loose slot, I might add). Or, if you get the elite, it has an HDMI slot too.
  • malteaserhead 23 Mar 2009 16:46:45 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sure it does. There should be an optical port on the cable.

-edit-
    slow linking = captain late man the irrelevant
    /flies off
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Mar 2009 16:49:23 38,132 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just got a bog standard HDMI cable, so that's no good for me :-(

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• deem 23 Mar 2009 16:51:46 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Mar 2009 16:54:06 38,132 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. Shame I can no longer afford to buy a surround sound system... Still, once I can that's brill. Thanks deem.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Grunk 23 Mar 2009 16:55:06 4,718 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a standard HDMI Cable in my 360 and I have pried open the old component cable to remove the shielding that gets in the way fo the HDMI port, I can now have HDMI and Optical surround sound without paying a huge price for the official cabling.

It's a pretty easy operation, but if you don't want to do it, you can send it to me and I'll adjust it for you.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 13:27:45
    Grunk, could you please upload a pic of the back of your 360 just for reference?
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 15:55:12
    Just noticed a potential achilles heel of the Onkyo system referenced earlier in the thread - it doesn't decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD. Aren't those must haves for a HD setup?
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2009 09:56:47 14,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Afternoon,

Even though I've got a nice HDTV, 360 and Sky+ it all the sound just comes through the shitty TV speakers. I know nothing about suitable systems for surround sound. I've Googled a bit, but I'm still clueless... Where do I begin?

Hi chaps
    This really.
    I have iro 400 (although I would happily spend less ;), not interested in dvd/BR player just want a goodish system. I have a sumsung plasma and the sound when watching dvd's or playing games is shite unless the volume is super high. My room is 19ft long by 12ft wide. I sit about 10 ft from tv/360, not too sure if that is relevant.
    Any help with links would be great.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• woodnotes 27 Jun 2009 10:41:15 4,924 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My gf was worried about me setting up a 5.1 system becuase she thought we'd annoy the neighbours.

But in reality you actually annoy them less, because instead of everything booming out with bass (eg voice) like on TV speakers, the voices are bass-free on a 5.1 as they just come out of the centre speaker for a more natural sound.

The bass only kicks in at the right times and it all sounds rather wonderful. I've turn the sub down quite a bit though - DTS soundtracks are particularly bassy when the sub kicks in!

Pro Logic II makes the telly sound good too.

/is new to 5.1
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Jun 2009 10:51:27 17,061 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:
    DDevil wrote:

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Heh, I did just that myself to get the HDMI port connected to my PC monitor and have sound at the same time.

I notice no mention of optimal speaker positions so far in this thread. For reference, from your sitting positiong:

Front Speakers - plus or minus 30 degrees
    Rear speakers - plus or minus 120 degrees

You are a factory of sadness.

• silentbob 27 Jun 2009 10:57:40 28,970 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    My gf was worried about me setting up a 5.1 system becuase she thought we'd annoy the neighbours.

But in reality you actually annoy them less, because instead of everything booming out with bass (eg voice) like on TV speakers, the voices are bass-free on a 5.1 as they just come out of the centre speaker for a more natural sound.

The bass only kicks in at the right times and it all sounds rather wonderful. I've turn the sub down quite a bit though - DTS soundtracks are particularly bassy when the sub kicks in!

Pro Logic II makes the telly sound good too.

/is new to 5.1
    You're absolutely right.

Moreso, you can also limit frequency response on almost all surround amps for late night viewing to accentuate dialogue and limit the lower end.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• BravoGolf Moderator 27 Jun 2009 11:08:03 12,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:

Moreso, you can also limit frequency response on almost all surround amps for late night viewing to accentuate dialogue and limit the lower end.

Which genuinely works, I used it when missus begrudgingly goes to bed early :-D
  • BinaryBob101 27 Jun 2009 18:07:39 22,904 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Hi chaps
    This really.
    I have iro 400 (although I would happily spend less ;), not interested in dvd/BR player just want a goodish system. I have a sumsung plasma and the sound when watching dvd's or playing games is shite unless the volume is super high. My room is 19ft long by 12ft wide. I sit about 10 ft from tv/360, not too sure if that is relevant.

Well. you've got two choices:

1. Buy an all-in-one home theatre solution with a dvd player included. For 400.00 you can get something pretty decent, if low-budget. Check out some up to date reviews here.

2. Go for a separates solution and use your own dvd player. You'll need an amp and the speakers though. To be honest I don't think 400 will go very far here. I thikn you can get a pretty decent Yamaha amp for around 300, but you'll need to pay a little more than that for some quality speakers.

All things considered, I'd go for the home theatre in a box solution. With the included sub, most of them are better than standard TV output anyway.

I've got this, a brilliant out of the box solution and all though over your budget I can't recommend it highly enough. The sound is incredible and it looks very stylish too, with an almost B&O build quality. Highly impressive for the wonga.

The Grumpy Vaper

• DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2009 18:11:34 14,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thank you Binarybob my man.
    You have given me food for thought

• DUFFMAN5 29 Jun 2009 18:06:12 14,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Hi chaps
    This really.

Well. you've got two choices:

1. Buy an all-in-one home theatre solution with a dvd player included. For 400.00 you can get something pretty decent, if low-budget. Check out some up to date reviews here.

2. Go for a separates solution and use your own dvd player. You'll need an amp and the speakers though. To be honest I don't think 400 will go very far here. I thikn you can get a pretty decent Yamaha amp for around 300, but you'll need to pay a little more than that for some quality speakers.

All things considered, I'd go for the home theatre in a box solution. With the included sub, most of them are better than standard TV output anyway.

I've got this, a brilliant out of the box solution and all though over your budget I can't recommend it highly enough. The sound is incredible and it looks very stylish too, with an almost B&O build quality. Highly impressive for the wonga.

So you chaps that have 5:1 SS, do you have it connected via the tv or directly via the 360. I would imagine I might as well have it directly to my Samsung, that way I get SS on dvd/BR 360 and tv.
    I like the look of the system on the link you posted but how good is 2.1 surround sound, do the 3 speakers all sit at the front ? Amazon are doing that set up for around 330, good value.
    Do all Blu Ray players play dvds, I noticed the one I looked at wouldn't play "back up" dvds.
    Any help gratefully received

• VandelayIndustries 29 Jun 2009 19:10:57 1,523 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    Afternoon,

Even though I've got a nice HDTV, 360 and Sky+ it all the sound just comes through the shitty TV speakers. I know nothing about suitable systems for surround sound. I've Googled a bit, but I'm still clueless... Where do I begin?

Hi chaps
    This really.

This is pretty good for the price. It has plenty of inputs, HDMI, Optical, Stereo and will decode DD 5.1, Pro Logic 2, DTS and will allow the HD formats in through LPCM. Doesn't include a built in DVD player.

I have last year's model, which works wonderfully with both the 360 and PS3.
  • Trowel 10 Aug 2009 20:06:46 17,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump. Bought a house with the missus and moving in about a month's time. Her priority is the bed, mine is finally getting a surround sound system set up as have always rented so never bothered. Budget is about 1000, possibly a little more - what sort of proportion is the budget best spent, ie. amp % speakers %?

My current inputs are 3x HDMI (Sky HD, PC, Blu-ray), VGA (360 - so optical ready) connecting to a 40" Sony Bravia. Might get a PS3 in future, and there's a Wii under the dust somewhere. Would be used mostly for TV/movies/sport in a smallish squareish lounge.

What should I consider when chosing speakers - any general consensus about freestanding or wall mounted? Visually, I'd prefer freestanding.
  • Dante_Cubit 10 Aug 2009 21:32:41 1,926 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair, I like my consumer electronics as much as the next person but your wife has the right idea. We spent a couple of grand on a bed and it was worth every penny. You spend enough of your life in bed that it is worth the investment.

Amps (much like TVs) all have their pros and cons. You can't get one that does everything to perfection. If you are looking to spend around a grand then I'd go for an amp in the 400 quid region and the rest elsewhere (probably 500 on the speakers and 100 for stands/fixings/wiring etc). Yamaha are making excellent amps these days in this price bracket (I'd buy Sony if you go cheaper, Onkyo if you go more upmarket). Speaker wise, there are some decent500 quid packages around such as the QAcoustics 1010is or Wharfdale 9.1s.

Freestanding or wallmounted is a matter of personal preference. Depending upon the porting of some speakers, you are better off getting some distance from the walls. I think it usually better to go for something a bit more understated (with some minimalist stands or recessed positioning) rather than looking like you struck it big on your giro day scratchcard.

• Trowel 10 Aug 2009 22:49:00 17,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    To be fair, I like my consumer electronics as much as the next person but your wife has the right idea. We spent a couple of grand on a bed and it was worth every penny. You spend enough of your life in bed that it is worth the investment.

Amps (much like TVs) all have their pros and cons. You can't get one that does everything to perfection. If you are looking to spend around a grand then I'd go for an amp in the 400 quid region and the rest elsewhere (probably 500 on the speakers and 100 for stands/fixings/wiring etc). Yamaha are making excellent amps these days in this price bracket (I'd buy Sony if you go cheaper, Onkyo if you go more upmarket). Speaker wise, there are some decent500 quid packages around such as the QAcoustics 1010is or Wharfdale 9.1s.

Freestanding or wallmounted is a matter of personal preference. Depending upon the porting of some speakers, you are better off getting some distance from the walls. I think it usually better to go for something a bit more understated (with some minimalist stands or recessed positioning) rather than looking like you struck it big on your giro day scratchcard.
    Excellent answer, thanks!

And I will bear in mind the bed comments!
  • Xerx3s 10 Aug 2009 23:53:17 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    0_o

I recently bought the Logitech 5500. Awesome piece of kit, crystal clear sound, no pitch bending and such, extremely cheap as well. IMO, you shouldn't pay more than 500 to 600 euro for a set. I've heard many expensive sets and their quality level is only slightly better if any at all than medium range sets. Definitely not worth the extra money. That is much better spent on a better telly (somewhere where you will actually see the difference for every 100 quid that you spend).
  • woodnotes 11 Aug 2009 00:34:54 4,924 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    Anyone else just use 5.0 with 4 fullrange speakers?

And are back channels generally underused ?
    I got them on +12dB...
    Hell no. Centre speaker ftw.
  • Dougs 17 Sep 2009 09:30:09 67,661 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump

My in-laws have a Pioneer system they want to give me (amp is a VSX-D510), hardly used. Any good? It's a little on the old side, with only one Optical in, and I'll need to buy a step down converter as it's a US system, but is in perfect nick. Needless to say I'm, thanking them muchly regardless but just wondered if anyone had any experience. bear in mind I'm not an audiophile really and don't own a SS system at the mo
  • Dougs 17 Sep 2009 09:42:08 67,661 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So it does! That's Sky and PS3 sorted....

Step down for a 300W (the amp is 250W) is about 30. I did have one, given to me by the in-laws but gave it to my brother-in-law. 30 for an old but steady SS system sounds good to me. Until I can afford to push the boat out anyway!
  • Page

of 8 First / Last