Prog Rock Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• bivith 13 Jan 2009 09:43:53 2,466 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chinster wrote:
    What's Marillions new double album like, worth a purchase?

Yes.
  • jonsaan 13 Jan 2009 14:40:01 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    A friend of mine is supporting Kings X in a few weeks time, he's one of Tomera.

I toured with King's X around the States in 2002(?). Lots of fun. They are a truly great band and super nice guys to boot. Really under rated I feel.

FCUTA!

• Murbal 13 Jan 2009 16:22:38 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King's X were the first band I ever saw live. Milton Keynes Woughton centre.

Actually, they were the third - first was Bucks Fizz followed by Michael Jackson but you get my point ;-)

Fantastic gig, even collected Doug's pick as a memento as he slung it into the crowd. My mate got a drumstick. Support was Mindfunk which may or may not mean anything to you guys ;-)

I'd call myself a fan, but I kinda lost my way after Kings X - King's X (fourth album). OOTSP and Gretchen are two stunning albums though which I could listen to over and over.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2009 16:39:17
    Heh, I'll let him know jonsaan. I'm dead proud of the fella, he's a fantastic bassist and he's had a big break with his current project... this kind of music simply isn't popular as it should be.
  • otto Moderator 13 Jan 2009 16:50:22 49,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Actually, they were the third - first was Bucks Fizz followed by Michael Jackson but you get my point ;-)
    spoiler tags removed for added shaming

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Murbal 13 Jan 2009 19:41:29 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Otto ;-)

The first can be blamed on my sisters. We were on holiday and saw them in St Austell. Micheal Jackson was at the MK bowl, a family day out as that's where I grew up...

I still accpet however that whatever the excuses shaming is required ;-)
  • JetSetWilly 13 Jan 2009 19:48:46 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, at least with Bucks Fizz you got to see the-one-that-wasn't-Cheryl-Baker-and-was-much-fitter whip her skirt off!

King's X then. Of the bands we've talked about in this thread to whom are they most akin? Or is it not a reasonable comparison?
  • AlanOB 13 Jan 2009 20:02:47 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're prog metal but in a grungy kind of way if that makes any sense! Christian rock lyrics aswell at times, but don't let that put you off.

Quite a unique group really in the sense that their sound can't really be compared to anyone.
  • buggrit 13 Jan 2009 20:05:53 5,178 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • jonsaan 13 Jan 2009 20:54:20 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    check out the first three albums:

They go from Beatles harmonies to massive swinging rock grooves. It's hard to call to mind who they sound like. A touch of Jellyfish perhaps! Another blummin great band.

Out of the Silent Planet (1988)
    Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (1989)
    Faith Hope Love (1990)

Ty tabor is one hell of a guitarist.

Oh, and Murbal, I'm pretty sure I have a Mindfunk album somewhere!

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 13 Jan 2009 20:55:53 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Prog rock?

Some clips of my own little project.

Prog

Link no worky pg!

FCUTA!

• BTBAM 27 Jan 2009 12:06:00 1,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/n11q0r

Anyone wanting to hear Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant influenced modern prog MUST download the song in the above link.

It's 26 minutes of progressive bliss from a Swedish band called Ritual.
  • Progguitarist 27 Jan 2009 13:07:17 10,404 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Prog rock?

Some clips of my own little project.

Prog

Link no worky pg!

I wish I could link properly.

/cries

www.viciousprog.bebo.com

• Murbal 30 Jan 2009 12:09:59 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, after getting all my CDs out of the loft at the weekend I stuck 2112 in the car this morning. Not sure why, but it's never sounded so good. I was loving it! Passage to Bangkok is just awesome :D

Of course it's out tonight as tomorrow I'll be on the John Martyn :-(
  • BTBAM 30 Jan 2009 14:55:39 1,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/n11q0r

Anyone wanting to hear Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant influenced modern prog MUST download the song in the above link.

It's 26 minutes of progressive bliss from a Swedish band called Ritual.

It's a free song for prog fans, c'mon someone download it! It's genuinely quality, I promise.
  • AlanOB 30 Jan 2009 15:13:39 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    So, after getting all my CDs out of the loft at the weekend I stuck 2112 in the car this morning. Not sure why, but it's never sounded so good. I was loving it! Passage to Bangkok is just awesome :D

Of course it's out tonight as tomorrow I'll be on the John Martyn :-(

That album is all about the title track. Lifeson's solo at the end of the Oracle section is where it's at.
  • Murbal 3 Feb 2009 15:38:06 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just signed back up to Emusic - essentially getting 125 tracks for 11.99 - and found they have the new Marillion double album on it! DOwnloaded last night but not yet listened to. Also appear to be a couple of Kings X albums on there too, new ones that I was unaware existed (to be fair, Dogman was the last album I heard!). Might sample those later.
  • jonsaan 3 Feb 2009 20:48:49 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of the later albums are fecking great Murbal.

FCUTA!

• Murbal 4 Feb 2009 15:01:47 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Black Like Sunday and Ogre Tones? Oh, and they've also got a double live album on there too! Live all over the place.
  • jonsaan 4 Feb 2009 15:20:03 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like them all to be honest. Tape Head is a goodun!

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 4 Feb 2009 15:23:25 25,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Groove Machine is a wicked song!

FCUTA!

• AlanOB 21 Mar 2009 15:37:40 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm withdrawing my comments about Marillion's new album.

It's actually excellent. Get it, but give it time to get under your skin. It's a real slow grower.
  • BTBAM 21 Mar 2009 17:10:21 1,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=UmNLNU1IT2I4NVd4dnc9PQ

Here's another link to the song I posted ages ago. Someone here must actually like prog music instead of just posting about it, right? Then fucking download this song! If you like Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull you'll like this. Promise.
  • Murbal 8 Apr 2009 14:19:55 22,036 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any fans of Platypus and/or Jelly Jam? Just heard about them as side projects involving Dream Theater peeps/Ty Tabor from Kings X...

edit: of course I've spelt theatre wrong ;-)
  • DaM 31 Jul 2009 23:08:34 12,966 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BBC4 is progtastic right now! 2 programmes, repeated later on the week (available from all the usual sources...).

One about British prog rock now....lots of soundbites from old men who look strangely familiar but you just can't put your finger on who they are....great to see all the old names again!
  • Obiwanshinobi 1 Aug 2009 01:39:30 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just don't know an English word strong enough to describe how derivative, uninspiring, unoriginal, regressive and plain bland Genesis with Gabriel always were in my opinion. They were doing much better without each other.
    The bands from back then I consider truly progressive, original, searching and finding:
    Van der Graaf Generator
    Gentle Giant
    King Crimson

Surely many important things used to happen on the outskirts of rock music at the time (those German bands for example), but having narrowed the lot down to the most arty, pretentious (yet still great) stuff, I'm ending up with these three names listed above.
    All of you "Genesis with Gabriel" people, do yourself a favour, get yourself a nice collection of Van der Graaf Generator remastered albums (Pawn Hearts should be good for starters), and just listen to the real thing. Horses for courses etc., but in my opinion Genesis with Gabriel were just a rip-off (and as a rip-off, even Marillion with Fish were more convincing).
  • terminalterror 1 Aug 2009 14:09:45 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    BBC4 is progtastic right now! 2 programmes, repeated later on the week (available from all the usual sources...).

One about British prog rock now....lots of soundbites from old men who look strangely familiar but you just can't put your finger on who they are....great to see all the old names again!

I missed out on this thread (and the original broadcasts) but thanks for the bump!

They are both on iplayer for the next week, and repeated on BBC4 at 00:15 and 01:15 tonight/tomorrow morning.

I've set my PVR to record them.
  • terminalterror 1 Aug 2009 14:12:50 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, thanks for bumping the thread with all its prog recommendations. It wasn't a genre I was particularly familiar with until I discovered that my favourite songs from Guitar Hero and Rock Band were both prog (Pull Me Under/Dream Theatre and Tom Sawyer/Rush respectively). That made me get into Rush in particular, but I'd never heard of Marillion.

I've now got Brave playing on Spotify, am a few songs in and loving it so far.

Anybody care to make me a prog newbs essentials playlist for spotify?
  • JetSetWilly 1 Aug 2009 14:25:52 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're enjoying prog with a strong guitar sound then a bit more Marillion won't go amiss, try Clutching At Straws and Script For A Jesters Tear. It's a different vocalist on those two than Brave, with a different lyrical style.

Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd is a must. As is Wish You Were here.

If you fancy a bit more Rush then A Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures are both great.
  • otto Moderator 4 Jun 2010 22:40:41 49,290 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Review of a documentary about Rush - has anyone heard of this? Wonder where I can see it/get it?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 9 First / Last