Prog Rock Page 9

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next
  • Megapocalypse 13 Oct 2013 16:07:36 5,491 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really enjoying the new Haken album. And there's a new Ayreon due at the end of the month.
  • FuzzyDuck 13 Oct 2013 16:21:08 4,698 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus Cheers mate! I've given them a week off in order to digest them somewhat, and yep, further investigation will be done!

Absolutely jonesing for the new Exivious record to hit, here's a vid of guitarist Tymon (some peeps might recognise him from his short tenure with Cynic a few years back) working through one of the tracks. Beautiful.

• GuiltySpark 17 Oct 2013 23:50:08 6,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just back from seeing Steven Wilson in Wolverhampton. I'm not the biggest fan of his solo work, but I have to say that it was fucking cracking.

Get bent.

• OllyJ 18 Oct 2013 09:19:40 3,302 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was advised to check out stand-up comdeian David Cross on Spotify. and it seems like there is a Prog guy of the same name.

Anyone else heard his stuff? I thought it was very good!
  • orpheus 18 Oct 2013 18:49:56 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    I was advised to check out stand-up comdeian David Cross on Spotify. and it seems like there is a Prog guy of the same name.

Anyone else heard his stuff? I thought it was very good!
    Can you link some? Ironically, all I can find on youtube is the comedian :/

Today's track is Circles:

• GuiltySpark 18 Oct 2013 18:52:35 6,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Circles track sounds either like it was recorded in someone's garage, or that they're singing underwater.

Quite like it.

Get bent.

• orpheus 18 Oct 2013 18:55:25 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote: Exivious
    Finally got round to listening to this, good find. Less impressed by the back catalog I've heard from following the youtube trail after that vid, though can't really explain why.

Edit: Feels too Jazzdeath?

Edited by orpheus at 18:59:33 18-10-2013
  • orpheus 18 Oct 2013 18:57:50 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    That Circles track sounds either like it was recorded in someone's garage, or that they're singing underwater.

Quite like it.
    They're Australian. In a way, it's kinda the same thing.

Good album. Whole thing's on youtube, Basick are nice like that.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2013 19:03:54 1,534 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Just back from seeing Steven Wilson in Wolverhampton. I'm not the biggest fan of his solo work, but I have to say that it was fucking cracking.
    It was a damn good performance! I agree with you on his solo stuff as well, I much prefer porcupine tree.

A quick question for you: did the lights blind you as well? My dad and me ended up having to shade our eyes and it soured the performance somewhat. It also have me one hell of a headache afterwards.

Also what was with that guy who kept shouting "freebird"?

For the emperor!

• orpheus 18 Oct 2013 19:12:17 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    It's a prog gig, someone always shouts freebird lol.

• GuiltySpark 18 Oct 2013 19:16:07 6,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    It was a damn good performance! I agree with you on his solo stuff as well, I much prefer porcupine tree.

A quick question for you: did the lights blind you as well? My dad and me ended up having to shade our eyes and it soured the performance somewhat. It also have me one hell of a headache afterwards.

I was on the balcony (and moved up to the top right because the chairs in there absolutely wrecked my knees), but the lights seemed fine for me.

And that guy, what a complete bellend. I couldn't tell a word he was saying, he sounded like this.

Get bent.

• FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2013 20:16:32 4,698 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus

They've only got that one other album, so there's not too much to trawl through.

Can see why you'd say jazz-death (it's a great record though, some really subtle playing on it). I did lend that album to a mate who loved Cynic's 'Focus' musically, but hated the vocals - it blew him away!

Not long til that new album lands, yay.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2013 23:20:15 1,534 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:

I was on the balcony (and moved up to the top right because the chairs in there absolutely wrecked my knees), but the lights seemed fine for me.

And that guy, what a complete bellend. I couldn't tell a word he was saying, he sounded like this.
    Ah you wouldn't have noticed if you moved, it was only an issue if you were facing the stage dead on, something I noticed on trips to the bar.

Randomly, a guy I was sitting next to got up an moved to the right of the stage early on in the gig(we were central balcony). I may have actually been sitting next to you for a brief period. Small world and all that.

For the emperor!

• OllyJ 21 Oct 2013 10:18:21 3,302 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tell You what, I bloody looked for that David Cross and it isn't on youtube. wow. It's on Spotify though under the album "Testing to Destruction".

Had a listen to Circles, not too bad but for that style of music it's Tesseract every time.

Edited by OllyJ at 08:56:48 22-10-2013
  • rtk79 21 Oct 2013 19:26:01 495 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nine pages and not a single mention of Henry Cow? Better than the severely over rated Frank Zappa, if you ask me, though somewhat similar early on.

Edited by rtk79 at 23:54:01 24-10-2013
  • orpheus 22 Oct 2013 18:16:39 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Tell You what, I bloody looked for that David Cross and it isn't on youtube. wow. It's on Spotify though under the album "Testing to Destruction".

Had a listen to Circles, not too bad but for that style of music it's Tesseract every time.
    Aye, new Tesseract is an absolute corker.
  • Megapocalypse 26 Oct 2013 08:42:00 5,491 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My signed copy of Ayreon - The Theory of Everything arrived yesterday. First impressions are that its good, though lacks the epic feel of previous albums (its not sci-fi). Will take a few listens to really judge it.
  • orpheus 16 Nov 2013 17:09:22 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Deleted user 16 November 2013 17:16:10
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I really like insurgentes, i think it is a fantastic album really impressed with it.
    Porcupine tree are a weird one for me, i really got into deadwing when it came out, but nothing really grabbed since, i havn't really investigated there early material, and picked up FOABP and IA since. One day i probably stick something on and i be absorbed by it all.

Edited by joelstinton at 17:16:33 16-11-2013
  • Megapocalypse 15 Mar 2014 09:57:09 5,491 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LOL! Just listening to some Haken and realised the vocalist is a mate I went to school with. How have I managed to missed that!?
  • orpheus 14 Jun 2014 13:25:18 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is an absolute stunner. I can't stop listening to it!

• FuzzyDuck 14 Jun 2014 15:19:34 4,698 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @orpheus The vocals aren't entirely to my taste (but I appreciate how they fit the tone of the music), but that is indeed great.

My afternoon Rush binge is temporarily on hold...
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Next