Prog Rock Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Beetroot_Bertie 16 Jul 2013 13:38:55 291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It took me some time for the Coheed and Cambria vocals to click, but now they have I really like them. He's got quite a unique and distinctive way of singing that's quite unlike much else I listen too. I appreciate it may not be to everyone's tastes, mine are of variable quality anyway :)

I've always thought of them being prog-ish but not quite, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's the poppy edge/structure to some tracks or that they're not quite so prone to sudden time changes every few seconds (sorry I have a rather limited world view of prog). The whole concept series of the albums is pretty proggy though, even though I still don't really have a clue of the story line having listened to them. Maybe the related comics/graphic novels help in that regard?
  • Progguitarist 16 Jul 2013 14:36:47 10,400 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Short, very rough clip of a new song I'm recording at present.
  • warlockuk 16 Jul 2013 14:52:14 19,133 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really wish I could program drums. I should really work on that. As usual, cracking work.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Progguitarist 16 Jul 2013 18:19:20 10,400 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goodfella ah thank you! Some older stuff up there that I have to update. Should be releasing the album this year. Lots and lots of hard work to go though.
  • orpheus 16 Jul 2013 18:58:31 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Progmeisters, dispense some wisdom if you would be so kind...

I'm not sure why (knowing me, I'd probably read an article about them and then went out and made some impulse purchases), but some years ago I picked up a couple of albums by Coheed & Cambria.
    I have:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 1: From FearThrough The Eyes Of Madness

and

In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

a) Is this, in the opinion of the panel, Prog?
    b) They both appear to be subsets of a larger body of work. Do I need to pick up all the others to fully appreciate it?

I don't think I've ever actually listened to either of them, so I've no idea what they're like. Might put one on now and see...

The vocals are better on the later stuff - it's easier to hear the newer stuff first and then go back through the catalogue tbh.

Should go
    Second Stage Turbine Blade (very, very emo-esque, try before you buy)
    Keeping Secrets...
    Good Apollo IV: Part 1
    Good Apollo IV: Part 2
    whatever the next one is.

I never went further back than Second Stage, and am quite happy having done so. Apollo IV: Part 2 is a good album, but after that I've only heard the singles.

Jesse's voice is a marmite thing, but the later stuff has a surprising amount of depth, once you're accustomed to the style.
  • orpheus 16 Jul 2013 19:19:52 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • localnotail 20 Aug 2013 20:35:12 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, who is up for a Cruise To The Edge?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• localnotail 26 Sep 2013 23:59:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago

just because.

• orpheus 30 Sep 2013 18:49:10 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fully expected a band like this to come along. Didn't expect them to be good. But they are. Hm.

Same with this really.

You get it here because I lump all this under prog, and because it's a bit non-mainstream for the metal thread...

Edited by orpheus at 18:49:20 30-09-2013
  • joeymoto108 30 Sep 2013 19:07:25 628 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They're both not proggy at all. The second song sounds way too overproduced IMO.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• orpheus 30 Sep 2013 19:21:11 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Let's not get into the whole 'is it/isn't it' thing. ;) I tend to lump stuff that is non-mainstream into the prog category, hence the occasional weird shit. At least if you're in this thread your tastes are likely to be a bit wider than average. :)

I find both fascinating. I consider 'djent' or whatever people want to term it as a 'progressive' sub-genre (in that it's generically a progression of the stuff meshuggah have been doing since the 90s, which in turn is a progression of bands like floyd and other 'prog' bands that messed with odd sounds & time signatures), but so far not much has been done to really stretch it. It's all been reasonably generic bar a few standouts.

Both of these do things completely differently. It's the same underlying sound, but vastly different interpretations. Garage-hip-hop vox and the 'hacktivist' ethos are two interesting things to put together and has a taste of activist hip-hop artists like Lowkey in the politically aware lyrical content. The Algorithm is a total headfuck of an album, a huge collection of styles from hardcore to dub. I've never heard anything like it, and it's amazing.

Pre internet, this kind of genre-cross pollination took decades; now you can watch it happening before your eyes in just a few years.

Rock on o7

Edited by orpheus at 19:22:06 30-09-2013
  • jaxon58 30 Sep 2013 19:25:23 2,420 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:

just because.
    Love that song to bits!
    That and Cinema Show make Selling England by the Pound an incredible album.
  • quadfather 30 Sep 2013 19:40:30 11,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King crimson. That's what you want

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Rajin 30 Sep 2013 23:05:07 614 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wow really surprised that there is not a single mention of ''Porcupine Tree.

Another worthwhile mention is V.A.S.T(visual audio sensory theather) with songs like Pretty When you Cry, and Touched. Could be argued that they are not Prog, but its hard to follow sub-genre's developments these days...

Edited by Rajin at 23:05:57 30-09-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Oct 2013 05:29:20 3,893 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chaps, all prog is good!

There's frequent talk of Porcupine Tree over in the metal appreciation thread.

Speaking of King Crimson and Porcupine Tree (seeing as Gavin Harrison has played with both of them), KC are making a comeback with three drummers, namely Harrison, Pat Mastelotto and R.E.M. drummer Bill Rieflin.
  • quadfather 1 Oct 2013 08:54:10 11,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They are? Excellent, sounds interesting

• GuiltySpark 1 Oct 2013 09:09:49 6,320 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So damn good.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 09:13:22 01-10-2013

Get bent.

• quadfather 1 Oct 2013 09:21:06 11,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuiltySpark - definitely. Possibly my favourite track of all closely followed by the rest of the album

• Fab4 1 Oct 2013 09:22:46 5,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New 'Fates Warning' album out yesterday :)

Edit: Also, Haken's 3rd album came out at beginning of Sept.

Edited by Fab4 at 09:44:46 01-10-2013
  • Maturin 1 Oct 2013 09:45:17 2,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The new Fates Warning is pretty good too, I've been listening to it on Google All Access.

Edited by Maturin at 09:45:35 01-10-2013
  • orpheus 5 Oct 2013 01:33:29 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rajin wrote:
    wow really surprised that there is not a single mention of ''Porcupine Tree.

Another worthwhile mention is V.A.S.T(visual audio sensory theather) with songs like Pretty When you Cry, and Touched. Could be argued that they are not Prog, but its hard to follow sub-genre's developments these days...
    PT have taken a funny turn of late. The move to Roadrunner and the contact with Opeth (who introduced Wilson to Meshuggah et al) made for some excellent moments for PT, but Wilson's real strength was always the blend of hippy-prog and glorious soundscapes like Radioactive Toy, Dark Matter etc. The more recent stuff has been decent, but different, and I've come to prefer his solo stuff to the main PT output.

Now-obligatory might-be-prog-in-some-interpretations track:

Edited by orpheus at 01:40:25 05-10-2013
  • orpheus 5 Oct 2013 01:37:27 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, think I posted this in the metal thread a while back, but it really belongs here:

• themanfromdelmonte 5 Oct 2013 12:16:27 566 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    They're both not proggy at all. The second song sounds way too overproduced IMO.
    "At all."??? While they don't fall comfortably into the genre of prog rock. There's certainly progress influences and elements to both. Either way, The Algorithm are/is my favourite band/artist I've discovered this year. Seen them/him twice this year and looking forward to seeing them/him supporting Hacktivist in December.

(all the band/artist stuff is down to The Algorithm as a writing and recording act, just being Rémi Gallego. But as a live act performing with a live drummer and sometimes a guitarist.)
  • FuzzyDuck 5 Oct 2013 18:28:27 3,893 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @orpheus

Both pretty interesting finds there!

The Algorithm sounds like a djent band filtered through Squarepusher (that is to say, I really enjoyed it).

Hacktivist - that mishmash of such disparate genres was kind of shocking to hear, partially due to the fact, as you said, it's actually good and I'm very much intrigued.
  • orpheus 12 Oct 2013 15:03:49 993 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

Glad you enjoyed them!

Love this guy. Free download here:

http://plini.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-nothings
  • bladdard 12 Oct 2013 15:52:09 899 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not known for their prog rock but this belongs here:

I think this belongs here too:

Edited by bladdard at 15:52:37 12-10-2013
  • localnotail 12 Oct 2013 15:58:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you like Tame Impala, you'll love Pond. (because they are almost the same band)

• FuzzyDuck 13 Oct 2013 13:53:19 3,893 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone else listening to the remix of Rush's "Vapour Trails?"

The music definitely sounds better mixed (especially "How It Is"), it has lost some of it's punch as it's a touch flat, not sure about the vocals though, Lee sounds like he's floating over the music, as opposed to in the thick of it.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 13:56:07 13-10-2013
  • Page

of 9 First / Last