• otto Moderator 4 Jun 2010 23:09:16 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Will be getting that!

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• boo 4 Jun 2010 23:36:15 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's having a limited cinematic release before it goes to dvd. Details here.

Very limited - one night only - next Monday, June 7th.

Empire Leicester Square here I come!

\m/

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 4 Jun 2010 23:56:18 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, they were sold out. Odeon Covent Garden here I come!

\m/

Just Another Lego Blog

• Edwannawonga 5 Jun 2010 14:24:11 330 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damn Leicester to hell. It's not being shown in here, just have to wait for the DVD.

Loving the new single though.
  • lucky_jim 5 Jun 2010 14:29:33 5,325 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Classic Rock Magazine have a quarterly Prog spin-off mag which might be of interest to people in this thread. My brother's band's new album got a rather favourable review in the current issue, although calling them prog is stretching things a bit (but then that's kinda the point, isn't it?)
  • boo 7 Jun 2010 23:19:54 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woohoo! Just got out from seeing the Rush film. Absolutely excellent. Well researched, oodles of old footage, interviews with all three members (I really thought that Peart wouldn't get involved, but he did), interviews with their parents...

Extremely entertaining and informative, but more than anything else - funny!

If you have any interest in Rush at all, pick up the DVD when it comes out in a couple of months, or if you can get to the Covent Garden Odeon, due to demand, they're putting on another showing next Monday (14th).

Just Another Lego Blog

• otto Moderator 7 Jun 2010 23:21:35 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds great, will definitely be picking that up on DVD.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Edwannawonga 8 Jun 2010 01:39:21 330 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome, cheers for the review boo.
  • boo 8 Jun 2010 09:22:07 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Couple of chucklesome moments : there were a lot of interviews with other musicians (and Jack Black), and one of them pointed out that what with Geddy Lee singing, playing bass and also playing keyboards, it was a good job he was able to move the microphone with his nose...

And they spoke about their 'kimono' phase, around the time of 2112. The kimono's got put away after they went on tour with UFO, and Geddy Lee came out to find a pair of pink fluffy slippers next to the mic, with a note saying 'Thought these would go with the outfit.'

Just Another Lego Blog

• otto Moderator 8 Jun 2010 09:27:44 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hahaha I remember those kimonos. :D

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• DaM 8 Jun 2010 09:29:18 13,324 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was doing some heavy duty gardening (like shredding whole trees!) on Monday, I couldn't get "Working Man" out of my head all day :)
  • otto Moderator 8 Jun 2010 09:30:40 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Annoyingly, the blu-ray is available for pre-order on Amazon but the DVD is not.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• buggrit 8 Jun 2010 09:31:25 5,179 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Annoyingly, the blu-ray is available for pre-order on Amazon but the DVD is not.
    Get with the times man :)
  • boo 8 Jun 2010 09:33:11 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Hahaha I remember those kimonos. :D

The kimonos in all their glory - on your mantlepiece!

I'm also not Blu-Ray compatible at the moment. Hope they sort the regular DVD release sharpish.

Just Another Lego Blog

• otto Moderator 8 Jun 2010 09:36:26 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have we seriously arrived at the point where blu-rays are now the default? That's ridiculous! :(

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• boo 9 Jun 2010 10:48:50 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazon taking pre-orders on the regular DVD

Out on June 28th.

Just Another Lego Blog

• buggrit 9 Jun 2010 10:49:28 5,179 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Have we seriously arrived at the point where blu-rays are now the default? That's ridiculous! :(
    Not even close, don't panic!
  • Deleted user 14 June 2010 20:21:08
    I picked up In the Court of the Crimson King, and Aqualung at the weekend, enjoying both a lot.
  • boo 28 Jun 2010 14:44:25 11,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a reminder to fans of Rush, the DVD (see above) is out today!

Just Another Lego Blog

• otto Moderator 28 Jun 2010 14:55:02 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine's shipped! \o/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Edwannawonga 28 Jun 2010 21:24:27 330 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just received my copy today. It's fantastic, especially love the extras.
  • otto Moderator 3 Jul 2010 22:07:49 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The extras are incredible. Watching them play La Villa Strangiato, it is simply awe-inspiring.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• lucky_jim 15 Sep 2010 12:32:02 5,325 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cross-posting this with the metal gig announcement thread cos I though it'd be relevant here too. Sorry for the etiquette breach, it's just that the two threads seem to have different audiences both of whom I thought may be interested. And it's only a small breach! Anyway, here's what I posted over there:
    ----

More shameless pimpage from me on behalf of my brother, I'm afraid, but his band Kyrbgrinder have just got a rather nice write-up from Classic Rock, which says:

Kyrbgrinder are one of a number of young British bands who combine modern metal with progressive ideas. And Cold War Technology (Kyrbgrinder) is a really impressive mix that brings to mind Cynic meeting Voivod in a test tube being swished around by Baroness. If that makes no sense, just get the album.

They're playing at The Gaff on Holloway Road this Friday (17th), and as a major metal mag are sending someone to review the gig, we're hoping it'll be busy: so if anyone's at a loose end, please come down!
  • Fab4 15 Sep 2010 12:39:40 6,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Also, thanks for bumping the thread with all its prog recommendations. It wasn't a genre I was particularly familiar with until I discovered that my favourite songs from Guitar Hero and Rock Band were both prog (Pull Me Under/Dream Theatre and Tom Sawyer/Rush respectively). That made me get into Rush in particular, but I'd never heard of Marillion.

I've now got Brave playing on Spotify, am a few songs in and loving it so far.

Anybody care to make me a prog newbs essentials playlist for spotify?

My 'prog metal' playliston Spotify
  • BTBAM 15 Sep 2010 15:51:41 1,606 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Also, thanks for bumping the thread with all its prog recommendations. It wasn't a genre I was particularly familiar with until I discovered that my favourite songs from Guitar Hero and Rock Band were both prog (Pull Me Under/Dream Theatre and Tom Sawyer/Rush respectively). That made me get into Rush in particular, but I'd never heard of Marillion.

Nice idea! Would love to hear anyone else's lists if you've got them!
  • Capn 18 Sep 2010 17:24:41 470 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:

Nice idea! Would love to hear anyone else's lists if you've got them!
    Here's mine
    It's all pretty basic stuff, probably just my top prog tracks; Nothing no one would've not heard of.

I do love me some Yes; Not too keen on the new line up, but Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson are apparently working on a new album together - Or atleast Rick seemed to say so on his Planet Rock show.
  • OnlyMe 18 Sep 2010 17:53:57 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, it's prog metal you want? Obviously, you should check out Dream Theater (not Theatre), Images & Words (the album with Pull Me Under) is an obvious choice. If you like that, I recommend getting everything from that point and up until Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (their cleverly named sixth album). Everything from Train of Thought and onwards is optional, not essential.

My favourite albums from them are Images & Words, Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees. But Awake, A Change of Season (one long epic song, plus a lot of live covers from old classics songs), and Falling Into Infinity are not to be ignored either. The first album, called When Dream and Day Unite is with another singer and thus feels much more like a seventies album despite being out in 89 - I personally love it, but the singer can take some getting used to.

If you want some overly pretentious stuff you might want to check out Pain of Salvation. My favourite album is Remedy Lane (something that's not nearly shared by fellow fans), but that's because it's much more straight forward. The singer is also one of the best singers I've ever heard, has got an incredible range and emotion in his voice (although some might say he's overly dramatic - but I like that).

I would also suggest Ayreon - I really like Human Equation.

Spock's Beard from the Neal Morse era is also fantastic, Snow in particular, and I suggest getting V, Beware of Darkness and Snow as starters for this band. Those are the essentials imo. That said, they're leaning more towards prog rock than metal.

And if you like those, you should check out Transatlantic - start with the first called smtp:e - they're an aquired taste. Incredible band.

Neal Morse is not in Spock's Beard anymore because he's become a christian, thus his music is from now on purely based on christianity. Not always preachy, though, since they often just retell stories from the bible or other historic events, like Sola Scripture which tells the story of Martin Luther and the conflict that resulted in the catholic and protestant church.

Either way, Neal Morse was the driving force in Spock's Beard, the one who wrote most of the songs. The later Spock's Beard albums are not quite as good (imo).

These are just a few of my favourite bands.

Last, you can always check out my brother's band on MySpace, soon to release their third album (with the new lead singer, Eirikkur Hauksson, or Eric Hawk as he sometimes calls himself internationally): http://www.myspace.com/magicpiehome
  • BTBAM 19 Sep 2010 13:38:34 1,606 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When it comes to prog metal I like some balls there, you know what I mean? If I want normal modern prog I'll go for Ritual. All of those you posted sounded really limp and weak, and the singer's are the kind of drippy cunts I can't ever listen to.

Thanks though, I did check them all out bar the last one. Never liked Dream Theater or Spocks Beard (The Slow Crash Landing Man aside) though.
  • Fab4 19 Sep 2010 15:19:51 6,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    When it comes to prog metal I like some balls there, you know what I mean? If I want normal modern prog I'll go for Ritual. All of those you posted sounded really limp and weak, and the singer's are the kind of drippy cunts I can't ever listen to.

Thanks though, I did check them all out bar the last one. Never liked Dream Theater or Spocks Beard (The Slow Crash Landing Man aside) though.

Biggest problem I have with recommending music...people's taste in vocals :-D

Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'drippy cunts', if you like Hogarth's singing. For instance do you like vocals on this one?

Some 'prog metal' recommendations would be
    Hourglass,
    Myrath,
    Psychotic Waltz,
    Beyond Twilight,
    Time's Forgotten,
    DGM,
    and ofc, early Fates Warning

Ofc these are just a handful, from many :)

Btw, Magic Pie are awesome :)
  • Page

of 9 First / Last