Prog Rock

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • belta 10 Jan 2009 12:54:24 306 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anyone catch the mini prog rock season on bbc4? it was class!. it's mad even today people seem reluctant to admit they like prog rock
  • steellam 10 Jan 2009 12:56:20 1,046 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed that program, most of them look mental nowadays :D
  • otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 13:14:07 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got it on iPlayer, haven't got around to watching it yet. Can't wait! Prog rock ftw.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• steellam 10 Jan 2009 13:15:53 1,046 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My father in law tried to tell me genesis were good once upon a time but i never believed him, the one they played about the farmer going to be a salesman was cool, cant remeber the title.
  • otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 13:18:45 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Genesis with Gabriel fronting were incredible, it's tragic what happened to them. But for me the true Gods of prog rock will always be Rush, Camel and Hawkwind. (Yes I'm calling Hawkwind prog rock.)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• warlockuk 10 Jan 2009 13:25:17 19,216 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a bit generous callin' Hawkwind Prog Rock. I'd call 'em Psychadelic Arse. :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 10 January 2009 13:27:31
    Rush are STILL awesome :)
  • DaM 10 Jan 2009 13:28:08 13,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    steellam wrote:
    My father in law tried to tell me genesis were good once upon a time but i never believed him, the one they played about the farmer going to be a salesman was cool, cant remeber the title.

Selling England by the Pound maybe? Tainted with the stench of Collins, but still good!

Disregard what you know them as now, it's like a completely different band. Imagine if Radiohead turned into a boy band, that's what happened to Genesis when Pete left :(
  • otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 13:29:22 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chinster wrote:
    Rush are STILL awesome :)
    As in, pre-Signals Rush are still awesome. Yes.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 13:29:49 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    That's a bit generous callin' Hawkwind Prog Rock. I'd call 'em Psychadelic Arse. :D
    :o

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• OnlyMe 10 Jan 2009 14:55:39 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, early Genesis was great, Selling England by the Pound is an excelled album. It's like they're two entirely different bands!

Also, my brother's band Magic Pie is becoming a very popular band within the genre. Check out his website: www.magicpie.net for a few free songs. They also have a MySpace site. They're currently working on their third album, and from what I've heard, it's going to be the best album yet, and definately on par with other greats, like Dream Theater and Neal Morse.
  • AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 16:15:32 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched most of this. Great stuff out of the Beeb. I liked the way most of the documentaries contained not so sly digs at Emerson, Lake and Palmer - the one so called marquee prog band that never resonated with me in the slightest.

Disappointed that there was nothing about Rush, but then again it was a BBC production and therefore mostly focussed on British bands. The Genesis show from Rome on Sunday night was excellent though, even if it was the three person version that so many inexplicably despise.

Best prog bands goes in this order:

1. Rush
    2. Marillion
    3. Yes
    4. Genesis
    5. Pink Floyd
    6. Jethro Tull
    7. Mahavishnu Orchestra
    8. Caravan
    9. Dream Theater
    10. Camel
  • Murbs 10 Jan 2009 16:22:08 22,524 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marillion are fantastic. Most people seem to be unaware they even exist post Fish ;-)

Hogarth's voice is incredible; Brave and Afraid of Sunlight are superb albums imho.
  • JetSetWilly 10 Jan 2009 16:25:23 5,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brave is a wonderful album. I still think Seasons End is pretty damn good.

Thread is a bit harsh on post-Gabriel Genesis. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are two fantastic albums entirely in-keeping with the band's roots.
  • AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 16:26:19 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brave is arguably the best thing they've ever done. Surely one of the best concept albums of all time. So much power and emotion in one disc that no matter how many times I listen to it it always moves me.

Marbles is an underrated one too. Their most recent good album :)
    The double album version of it is worth getting because one of the bonus tracks "Ocean Cloud" is one of the best things they've done in years, and includes some of Rothery's best work.

The Fish era stuff is fantastic too though. Clutching at Straws being my favourite. His latest solo album from 07 is worth checking out too. I was shocked at how good it was (and is!). He's still got it.

Edit: Couldn't agree more JetSetWilly re: Genesis. Love both of those discs.
  • AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 16:32:16 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Great Escape is one of the most truly cathartic songs in history and as such should have been the logical album closer.
  • JetSetWilly 10 Jan 2009 16:35:46 5,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did anyone here have it on vinyl for the alternate ending? I remember seeing them on the Brave tour at Leeds Town & Country and they were superb. Falling from the Moon and Hollow Man are two stand-out tracks for me.
  • otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 16:40:41 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AlanOB wrote:
    even if it was the three person version that so many inexplicably despise.
    'inexplicably'? Two words:

Phil Collins

and... Marillion?? :o

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 16:46:10 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Otto fails.

Marillion are awesome. It'd be interesting to know what exposure you've had to them exactly.

And as for Phil, sure he's been responsible for some musical abortions, but up until Duke (or maybe Abacab), the Collins led Genesis was great stuff.
  • JetSetWilly 10 Jan 2009 16:55:09 5,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say that the Collins-era low-points for Genesis were: And Then There Were Three, side two of Abacab, and side two of the eponymous Genesis. Other than that their sound evolved in a very natural way for them. Even Invisible Touch is clearly a "Genesis" album.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2009 16:57:25
    I was genuinely upset when Fish left Marillion. Wonderful, wonderful band.
  • otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 16:58:06 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AlanOB wrote:
    Otto fails.

Marillion are awesome. It'd be interesting to know what exposure you've had to them exactly.

And as for Phil, sure he's been responsible for some musical abortions, but up until Duke (or maybe Abacab), the Collins led Genesis was great stuff.
    Heh, I was born in 1969, they formed a fundamental part of my youth, I saw them a couple of times. I liked them very much at one point but it hasn't stood the test of time. My youthful obsession with Rush and Camel on the other hand has.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 16:58:33 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chinster wrote:
    I was genuinely upset when Fish left Marillion. Wonderful, wonderful band.
    I wasn't even aware that he had. :D

actually that's bollocks, I was aware, but I only found out long after it had happened.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 10 Jan 2009 17:02:26 49,339 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of the several other threads on the subject

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• kungfubob 10 Jan 2009 17:07:44 160 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AlanOB wrote:
    I watched most of this. Great stuff out of the Beeb. I liked the way most of the documentaries contained not so sly digs at Emerson, Lake and Palmer - the one so called marquee prog band that never resonated with me in the slightest.

Disappointed that there was nothing about Rush, but then again it was a BBC production and therefore mostly focussed on British bands. The Genesis show from Rome on Sunday night was excellent though, even if it was the three person version that so many inexplicably despise.

Best prog bands goes in this order:

1. Rush
    2. Marillion
    3. Yes
    4. Genesis
    5. Pink Floyd
    6. Jethro Tull
    7. Mahavishnu Orchestra
    8. Caravan
    9. Dream Theater
    10. Camel

I love every band in this list but Frank Zappa is the mack daddy of them all.

Zappa was the finest ambasador of music in the 20th Century,a modern day mozart you could say and an awesome guitar player even though he is naturally a drummer.
    He would be the most respected artist of artists.

Mike Portnoy,the drummer of Dream Theater once said that Frank Zappa had the greatest ear for music ever in history.

Zappa,unlike 90% of his compemparies,he never used drugs and is famous for sacking band members on the spot for the tiniest use of any drug even alcohol.
    he is responsible for finding and teaching virtuosos like
    Steve Vai,Bobby Martin, George Duke,Terry Bozzio,Ruth Underwood,Robert Fripp and literally dozens more.

He released over 60 albums and is the father of prog rock that we know and love today.

Check out the "you cant do that on stage anymore" collection,
    6 albums all live containing some of the funniest shit you ever heard and the tightest collection of musicans probably ever heard.
    Zappa changed my life and is essential listening for anyone serious about their music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa
  • AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 17:13:54 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah yeah I love Zappa too, I just wouldn't be gone on his comedy albums.

Hot Rats is one of the best jazz rock albums I've heard however.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2009 17:16:47
    What was this the program in the OP called anyone?
  • Deleted user 10 January 2009 17:16:50
    What's Marillions new double album like, worth a purchase?
  • AlanOB 10 Jan 2009 17:24:38 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Otto, listen to Brave. Your perception of Marillion will be altered for the better.

As for Chinster's question, I'd probably have to answer no to that. Their new one and the previous effort "Somewhere Else" are not very strong efforts.

Get Marbles if you don't have it instead.
  • kungfubob 10 Jan 2009 17:26:39 160 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AlanOB wrote:
    Ah yeah I love Zappa too, I just wouldn't be gone on his comedy albums.

Hot Rats is one of the best jazz rock albums I've heard however.

yeah it is a great album,one of my favorite albums ever is
    "Roxy and Elsewhere" Really worth checking out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxy_&_Elsewhere
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous