Metro 2033 Page 25

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• agparrot 3 Feb 2011 12:50:02 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished this last night, fired it right up on Hardcore mode, and had some brilliant fun with it. At that difficulty level, ammo is nearing survival-horror scarcity, and I plumped for the stealth armour as early as it was available just so I could avoid more trouble, taking the sneaky approach wherever possible.

The game did feel linear of course, but it was a set of rails I really didn't mind being stuck on, and there was the limited sideways movement associated with exploring out-of-the-way areas of levels to get to ammo caches and gold bullet goodies.

I think the shooting was just fine - maybe it takes a little getting used to, but my relative ammo shortage meant that I was always looking for chances to dodge fighting, or use the throwing knives or arrow-gun so that I could retrieve (most of) the ammo where necessary. In a couple of cases I even found myself favouring the combat knife - especially where companions were there to help shoot the baddies.

Briefly went back through some of the earlier levels to whore a few of the points I'd missed in it, and then after that I decided I'd change the difficulty to Easy to see what changed - suddenly, enemies die almost instantly and there is a mass of ammo when you pick up bullets.

I'm actually tempted to get the Ranger Mode DLC, given that it is a rather paltry 240 MS Points, and I'd be giving bonus monies to say thankyou to the people what made the game. Plus I'd get to have a go on the Volt Driver.
  • PepsiMax 3 Feb 2011 17:40:26 604 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved the section about, maybe a third of the way through (?) where you fight the bad guys in the station. It took me ages but was one of the most intense game experiences I've had, loved it.

• Lexx87 5 Feb 2011 16:37:01 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started this!

Got so much to play I decided to start it on Hardcore for the first play. Got my surround headphones on for this which nail the sound, which is needed for this type of game for the atmosphere and stuff. Played the 'Prologue' and already in love with it.

Acoustic guitar FTW too.

Speak the truth hussy!

• matt6666 5 Feb 2011 16:50:32 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I got this on my horizon.. 13bones new.
  • PenguinJim 5 Feb 2011 17:08:11 5,757 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, just started this two days ago too - also opted for Hardcore. Just reached Chapter Five tonight, it's a wonderfully intense and atmospheric game. It's been in a lot of sales, people - no more excuses, now!
  • Lexx87 5 Feb 2011 17:12:49 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm loving the music :) Jazz and all sorts it's ace and works really well. Not enough games use real music, and well.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deckard1 5 Feb 2011 17:39:41 27,182 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Enjoy it mate, just finished it a couple of weeks ago and loved every minute of it.
  • PenguinJim 9 Feb 2011 15:58:47 5,757 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished it, and found the ending a bit... underwhelming. The game length was OK, but it felt a bit padded - not enough soldier skirmishes!

Overall I thought it was a very nice game, like an incredibly linear, closed-world, but very good STALKER mod (with a focus on the tunnels instead of the overground). Nice that it was out on console, too (I picked it up on 360). I'm already looking forward to a second playthrough to get the second ending, but maybe not immediately. :p

Not sure why everyone was worrying about ammo shortages. I played through on Hardcore and had plenty of bullets all the time - although I did have the Helsing for the library.
  • spamdangled 9 Feb 2011 16:01:37 27,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Arrived in the post today from Shopto (6 months after I ordered it...).

Looking forward to playing after I finish DS2.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2011 16:43:23 4,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started yet another play through of this recently, but this time with a DX11 card after my old one died. I thought it looked good before but christ does it look good in DX11!

Falling in love with it all over again, it's almost certainly my game of 2010.
  • Deckard1 9 Feb 2011 16:48:46 27,182 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a second ending?
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2011 16:54:46 4,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, there's good and bad endings. How did it end for you?
  • Deckard1 9 Feb 2011 17:00:50 27,182 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I launched the rockets, the thing blew up, and everything was hunky dorey.
  • Vortex808 9 Feb 2011 17:03:01 6,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Time to reload that last save and not do that!
  • Deckard1 9 Feb 2011 17:04:40 27,182 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So is that the good or the bad ending?
  • Vortex808 9 Feb 2011 17:07:22 6,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That all depends on your viewpoint. The other ending is certainly worth seeing though.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2011 17:13:58 4,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You won't be able to get the other ending just by restarting the last section, it's determined by lots of minor decisions/actions throughout the game.
  • agparrot 9 Feb 2011 17:18:51 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    You won't be able to get the other ending just by restarting the last section, it's determined by lots of minor decisions/actions throughout the game.

I am such a goody two-shoes, that even though I went Hardcore, you know the score, on my first playthrough, I still did enough nice things to warrant the good ending.

You'll know you are eligible for it by the time you get to the end, if you see the homo novus and they are saying things like "he can hear us, he can help us".

Otherwise, you have just been too much of a meanie, or missed the point of the last cutscene, where the (game finishing spoiler alert - here is how to get the good ending, and some story spoiler:) novus is trying to get you to shoot the guidance system with your last bullet, what with you having used the other five on his head.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2011 17:41:30 4,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure how much is known about how it determines which ending to give you now, but there must be a scoring system weighted towards the more obviously moral choices.

You get the 'good action' indication just by listening to the end of some conversations or finding secret stashes etc - rewarding you for experiencing the game properly and not rushing I guess - but then others are far more obvious noble deeds like refusing the mother's reward, giving ammo to beggars etc.
  • Vortex808 9 Feb 2011 18:42:27 6,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

True. I had forgotten about that, but I played it 'good' and just reloaded my last save as I knew i had the choice.

I think i only took the obvious choices and listened to every chat i could as I was revelling in the fantastic atmosphere of the game. I also found the vast bulk of the ammo stashes etc.
  • Lexx87 12 Feb 2011 19:51:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Annoying me now this a little bit.

On the Frontline mission, where iv'e taken a good few guys out. Enter a new section where they are on alert, fine, but haven't seen me yet.

In the pitch blackness i'm trying to sneak around a bit, my sensor telling me i'm fine, but they all seem to be able to see me and take me out without warning. I guess when on alert the game lets them see me whenever, but it's a bit annoying.

Shame i've loved every second so far. My fault for playing on Hard probably.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dr.Haggard 15 Feb 2011 15:00:17 4,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, bit late replying to this but were you wearing the stealth suit Lexx? It's offered for sale in Armoury station immediately before that section for 100 rounds. The stealth actually works very well as long as you're wearing that, but it can be tricky without it. If you bought the more heavily armoured suit it's virtually impossible.
  • Lexx87 20 Feb 2011 21:07:29 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't buy any suit i'm saving for the 500 cash achievement :p:p

Either way sorted that bit and I do still love the game. Just in the bit with all the monkey things in the library...fucking evil!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 20 Feb 2011 22:33:34 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Metro 2033

+ Wow

+ Such wonderful use of music, especially in the stations with people playing guitar and such. Brought such life to the communities. Music used throughout especially brilliant.

+ Audio in general was top notch. Played with AX360 headphones and they make such a big difference to the audio, and thus the effect the entire game has on you. Breathing through the gas mask in your own head, you feel every heave and rattle it's astonishing. Or horrifying as the beasts growl around you.

+ Graphically wonderful

+ Just so atmospheric. You really feel like you're in that world. My favourite parts of the game where when you were with others, not just because it's less scary but you really feel part of the group. You are one of these people and they feel like your brothers.

+ Typing this with the wonderful start menu tune in my headphones just playing. Love it.

- A few of the stealth sections didn't allow stealth as much as it should and sometimes was irritating

- The main enemies were not very scary. The audio and atmosphere made it tense but not scary.

- The ending, or at least the one I chose...could have been successful without all the Max Payne dream sequence bullshit before hand. Was annoying and just not necessary really.

Absolutely wonderful game overall though.

Now to read the book that inspired it all.
    9/10

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 21 Feb 2011 18:28:49 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite fancy another play of this actually...

Will check out the DLC not sure what it adds.

Speak the truth hussy!

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 11:56:22 1,515 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Found some MS points lying around - now this is on games on demand i'm really tempted. Love atmospheric horror esque games. Strikes me as fallout meets STALKER. Any truth in that? Really impressed by all the glowing comments on here.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Deleted user 6 March 2011 11:59:45
    Definitely, but save your MS points as it's less than 13 most places these days

http://www.amazon.co.uk/THQ-Metro-2033-Xbox-360/dp/B002TOL4OQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299412759&sr=8-1

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/metro-2033-with-free-xbox-live-avatar-item/10066273.html
  • Lexx87 6 Mar 2011 12:01:19 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How much is it GOD? 39.99 or something silly?

Don't be expecting a falloutesque open world though, it's a linear path all the way through. Nothing wrong with that obviously as it's chuffing brilliant and just dripping in atmosphere.

If you've got some surround sound headphones it takes it to a whole new level too.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 6 March 2011 12:03:23
    19.99 apparently
  • Lexx87 6 Mar 2011 12:04:28 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not too horrible then but aye can be cheaper than that. Got mine for 4.99!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 28 First / Last