Metro 2033 Page 24

  • Page

    of 28 First / Last

  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2011 13:30:11 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might get this with the excuse that it'll help my Russian.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 13:49:39
    I tried a mate's version of this and although I really liked the atmosphere the shooting felt like I was firing potato pellets at the creatures for all the feedback and effect they had on my enemies.

    I'm still willing to give it a fair crack though and if I see it about cheap I'll grab it. I heard from my mate that it's also rock hard.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 13:49:43
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I might get this with the excuse that it'll help my Russian.

    I was thinking exactly the same thing!

    Really want to get this but I'm worried that it'll go the same way as Stalker did for me - started it but didn't really get on with it straight away so didn't go back.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 23 Jan 2011 13:55:19 14,559 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a different sort of game to Stalker (a game I played briefly on my ageing lappy until it bugged out and I was constantly being killed by radiation for no reason).

    This is very much a linear game, there is some limited world exploration but to be honest it's pretty much all done one path. There would be small scope to explore a bit more outside but because your gas mask must be constantly replenished with pricey oxygen packs this really isn't advisable.

    If I'm brutally honest I'd have much preferred a bit more of an open world. The metro stations cry out for more interaction. I'd have loved a few side quests here and there but it may have detracted from the urgency of the storyline somewhat.
  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2011 13:55:27 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    прекрасная мысль!
  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 14:00:17
    Look pa, a commie!

    Billy get ma gun.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 14:04:30
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    I tried a mate's version of this and although I really liked the atmosphere the shooting felt like I was firing potato pellets at the creatures for all the feedback and effect they had on my enemies.

    I'm still willing to give it a fair crack though and if I see it about cheap I'll grab it. I heard from my mate that it's also rock hard.

    To be fair I didn't play it as a FPS, and I'm not a Halo/CoD player so I honestly didn't find the shooting bad at all (but that's likely because I didn't set a yardstick to measure it against). It's atmospheric as hell and has some really nice set pieces to boot.

    Good luck with your Russian Red ;o)
  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2011 14:04:56 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    отьебись от меня!

  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 14:30:01
    Давайте писать, давайте читать.

    That's the only sentence apart from things like "I'm English" thing I can still write knowing it's correct. /hasn't practiced in 18 months.



    If I can work through my backlog of games I'll definitely be picking this game up, cheap as chips everywhere. Really need to get it before any sequel comes out. It's nice to be able to move instantly to the next game but I can't play a game that has a sequel without longing for the improvements I assume are in the second.
  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2011 14:47:50 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Russian is a mother of a language. I need to do an hour today just to keep up with the new verbs I've learnt. Arg.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2011 14:50:15
    @Snakehips.

    Fair points and I didn't really play it that much. However as it is predominantly a shooter, with some exploratory aspects having good shooting mechanics is important to me.

    Falling back on the old 'ah but it's not COD/Halo' argument is a bit limited I feel as the game would be significantly improved with better handling. The game could still be atmospheric, tense and hard by other factors.

    As you say though, I'm weened on more tactile shooters so it is a bigger issue for me. The fact that enemies don't even acknowledge being shot is a bit poor considering since it's been in almost every game since Goldeneye on the N64.

    I will give the game a proper crack though, so I'll see how much the other elements of the game paper over it's combat flaws.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2011 09:46:51 79,205 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Fucking loving this so far - really deserved a better reception than it got. How long is it? I want to get it finished before dead space 2 on friday.
    About 8-10 hours.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 09:47:42
    The level where you first pick up the night-vision goggles? You start on a railway line?

    If so then try looking underneath where the preacher is talking (once the goons have moved on). There are some stairs that you should see with the goggles amidst the pitch-black
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2011 09:48:37 79,205 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Ok I'm stuck - its the start of chapter 4 I think, I've just been introduced to the war between the nazis and the commies and I've got to get to the front line, I've just been down some stairs and got the shotgun with a bayonet on it and the night vision goggles, I've come back upstairs and there's a shooting range with loads of commies on it and some kind of motor on the right - the compass is pointing to go through the shooting range but this seems fucking impossible - help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBZ39teneg

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 09:54:42
    Yeah, that stage and the one before it gave me real troubles figuring out what to do and where to go

    Glad you're enjoying it, I'm half tempted to stick it on to replay a level or two
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2011 09:57:30 79,205 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't know about that either, I just slaughtered everyone.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 10:06:18
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Ok I'm stuck - its the start of chapter 4 I think, I've just been introduced to the war between the nazis and the commies and I've got to get to the front line, I've just been down some stairs and got the shotgun with a bayonet on it and the night vision goggles, I've come back upstairs and there's a shooting range with loads of commies on it and some kind of motor on the right - the compass is pointing to go through the shooting range but this seems fucking impossible - help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBZ39teneg

    Just watched that to remind myself of the stage and I still jumped out of my seat right at the end!
  • Vortex808 27 Jan 2011 10:32:29 7,583 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Argh there's a fucking pipe underneath the walkway!!! You've got no idea how many times I've tried to sneak past those bastards on the shooting range.

    I think everyone must have got stuck there, I know i did until i finally worked it out. One of the few times in the game that it was unclear about where to go and what to do. I loved that area, getting the night-vision googles and shooting out lights etc to create confusion and be sneaky was great fun.
  • Vortex808 27 Jan 2011 16:30:01 7,583 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had minimal gasmask filters at that point, which was almost game-ending as I barely had enough to fight them and suffocated on numerous occasions.

    However, I found that you can just run like fuck to the ladder and run past them all. The AI made it along a wee while later.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 17:10:27
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Why has every game got to have a shit bit? I'm at the bit with the suicidal ai and the nest of fucking amoebas. No shot gun shells, and my only guns are scoped. Minge.

    Aye, that's a complete cunt of a section - if you haven't already, try looking at the yellow truck thing on the right hand side before venturing into the nest as there is some extra ammo there

    I just had to grin and bear it
  • JetSetWilly 27 Jan 2011 17:35:10 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For that second part of the escort definitely sprint past all the amoebas and get to the ladder. the majority of them will follow you and can be despatched in an orderly queue. Your escortee (is that even a word?) will be able to deal with the few that don't come gunning after you.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2011 17:53:20
    No worries, the rest of that stage is a pig too so try not to be too wasteful with your ammo ;)
  • Deleted user 28 January 2011 10:58:57
    Yeah from around the point where you meet the ameobas it goes downhill through to the end but it's a damned fine game all round

    I thought it absolutely nailed the claustrophobia early on and the use of the gasmask and battery charger were nice features too

    I'll likely be right behind you in that queue for the sequel!
  • Page

    of 28 First / Last

Log in or register to reply