Anyone have problems with Youtube freezing?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pistol 7 Jan 2009 15:18:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a Dell Studio laptop on a wireless network, running Vista. Recently I've noticed that all youtube videos freeze after a few seconds and it's annoying. I've researched it a bit and it seems to be a common problem, with various fixes suggested. Apart from this the laptop has been great and runs pretty fast.

So far I've done the following:-

Updated video drivers from Dell
    Installed latest version of Flash
    Defraged and general file cleanup, temp files, cookies etc.
    Unticked all the stuff in startup I don't need.
    Full anti-virus scan

Would I be right in assuming it's related to the speed of my broadband? I haven't tried it wired instead of across wireless yet. Maybe that will discover the problem?

My broadband is from Plusnet and so far has been fine. Easily quick enough for most of my needs.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• burns 7 Jan 2009 15:27:22 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a problem similar to this were all flash video stopped within 2-3 secs of playing, are you using FF?

To fix,

- I closed all browsers
    - I uninstalled flash player using the exe from Adobe
    - Re-installed the Flash player
    - Restarted the browser

hth
  • ray 7 Jan 2009 15:48:59 684 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Same here ^^^ only on Opera. Reinstalling the stuff solved it. Silly Flash player was convinced it's updated but it wasn't and stuff.
  • pistol 7 Jan 2009 16:18:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    burns wrote:
    I had a problem similar to this were all flash video stopped within 2-3 secs of playing, are you using FF?

To fix,

- I closed all browsers
    - Restarted the browser

hth

Humm, I'll try that. So basically de-install and re-install, and that's it?
  • burns 7 Jan 2009 16:20:08 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yip
  • pistol 7 Jan 2009 16:27:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ta

I'll also try it over wired and in the early hours, in case it's just my BB not able to cope at busy times.
  • pistol 7 Jan 2009 16:28:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    burns wrote:

To fix,

- I closed all browsers
    - Restarted the browser

hth

Not using FF, just standard explorer.
  • burns 7 Jan 2009 16:33:37 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would still give it a shot as (I think) all the browsers use the same Flash plugin.
  • Tiger_Walts 7 Jan 2009 16:35:09 16,583 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had it happening in Chrome, I solved it by killing the process that was running Flash and reloaded the page. It kept happening intermittently until I updated Flash.

I guess it was a memory leak of some sort with a particular build of Flash.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• pistol 7 Jan 2009 17:20:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll have a crack at it tonight.
  • pistol 8 Jan 2009 12:27:40 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The problem ended up being probably the most obvious...my BB speed. Tried a wired connection and the youtube videos were fine.
  • burns 8 Jan 2009 12:44:04 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hmm, your connection must be very slow not to be able to stream youtube video, I would give them a call.
  • rajuncanajun 13 Dec 2009 03:40:25 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As of the past 48hrs I've been unable to view any youtube videos or even use Facebooks scrabble properly. When it comes to the youtube vids they freeze within the first few seconds or within a minute but the buffering completes all the while the circular dotted waiting graphic is displayed. After the first fail I usually can get it to play again but only up to the same exact point and then not at all.

This problem has been coupled with some random system crashes I'm running Win 7 64bit and using ie 8 as a browser. I've done exhaustive scans Nod 32 (trial version)came up clean, adaware (free version) froze after 5min finding 130 items in 95943 files, Norton 17.1.0.19 found 5 lowlevel cookies which it had no problem dealing with and after that adaware worked just fine (I think that not having deleted my temporary internet files or cookies for almost a month contributed to the amount of items found and the hanging of adaware) and found nothing.

Spydoctor found a cpl of low level cookies although it will only scan and then you must buy if you want to use it to fix. Zone Alarm (free version brand spanking new for win7 64bit) is the only significant change to my system that I can think of besides the uninstalling of Comodo firewall it's predecessor. Originally the crashes were accompanied by a blue screen and my computer would restart itself and after 3 of those yesterday they changed to the old school freeze where nothing (ctrl+alt+del)short of a manual restart would do.

I'm sorry to be so long winded but I'm @ my wits end and can be found burning all my media followed by backing up any important information in preparation for a clean install. Please help.

There's more since the previous "report" I've downloaded and ran malwarebytes which found a trogan and a hijack but my problem still remains even after using adobes flash player uninstall and reinstalling it 3 times all @ different points but it is the last thing I've done to make headway in this problem. I'm including Malwarebytes report in case it helps.

Again I appreciate any input that can help me resolve this problem. It's not so much that I can't function without youtube vids it's that my system isn't working properly and it might be symptomatic of a larger problem.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
    Database version: 3350
    Windows 6.1.7600
    Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

12/12/2009 6:16:45 PM
    mbam-log-2009-12-12 (18-16-45).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
    Objects scanned: 703737
    Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 24 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 1
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    C:\Windows\Setup\SCRIPTS\Install.exe (Trojan.VkHost) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

• mal 13 Dec 2009 04:53:53 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I've had a similar problem with Youtube myself this past week or so, but I assumed it was because I was down to my last few Ks of disc space on my OS drive. Still, clearing it out hasn't done much.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling flash, but to be honest I'm not really missing it. For the few vids I feel I really need to watch I can watch them at work.

I'm running Seamonkey 2.0 and Firefox 3 on Ubuntu Linux, so it may not be the same issue, or it may indicate the problem is with flash or youtube itself, not your machine.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• pipinana 23 Dec 2009 07:15:14 10 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't want any Youtube video, I'm crazy.
  • majestic 23 Dec 2009 23:02:33 53 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i`m running a 910mhz pc with 512mb int mem....and youtube works fine...

Like a BAWZ !

• mal 24 Dec 2009 12:49:43 22,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, youtube's now working for me. iPlayer is still a bit flakey.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ecureuil 9 Feb 2012 20:27:37 76,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it incredibly slow for anyone else right now, or just me?
  • Razz 9 Feb 2012 20:31:32 60,777 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been shit for a few days now, I heard that one of google's content servers in the EU went down or something a week back and there still working on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• AaronTurner 9 Dec 2013 20:14:11 7,596 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is anyone finding Youtube crackling? I noticed my CPU is spiking when watching it on my PC and it causes a slight stutter and break up of sound. Bloody annoying.
  • mrpon 9 Dec 2013 20:16:24 28,486 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A bit sluggish on my TV atm.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next