80's Toys ftw!

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 08:17:47 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I stumbled across an old 'Madball' this morning and remembered just how frigging cool a lot of the 80's toys were. Monsters in my Pocket, Madballs, Boglins! do they still make any of these? My kids would bloody love a Boglin but they are going for crazy prices when boxed on ebay.

Looking back it seems weird that so many of the 80's children toys had death/monster themes, I can't quite see that fad happening again anytime soon, it's all rubbish again now :(

For people who have forgotten..

Garbage Pail Kids

boglin

monster in my pocket

madballs

..happy days! even McDonalds had better stuff, the McTransformers!!!
  • Tremendosaurus 6 Jan 2009 08:27:14 1,197 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, used to have some of each of them - except the McTransformers, but I had real Transformers, and the superior (in my eyes at the time) Mask toys. Of course I'm pretty sure its all just nostalgia at work.

Do you remember the Garbage Pail Kids Movie?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Jan 2009 08:30:29 37,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a Boglin for years, until a few years ago when I sold it at a car boot sale. I had loved that thing, it was still in it's box and everything. I was sad to see it go at first but the guy who bought it handed it straight over to his young son who gave it a BIG hug.

*sniff*

Bless. He went to a good home I'm sure.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 08:31:54 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, but judging by that imdb score I didn't miss out on much.

I remember each pack of stickers came with a crappy little plastic toy, which was somehow awesome because it was garbage pail. I'm surprised they allowed them tbh, I remember the stickers being quite fucked up for something aimed at children.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 6 Jan 2009 08:32:53 1,544 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I stumbled across my complete collection of Garbage Pail Kids a few months ago - what the hell were those people on :)

But my favourite 80s toys were Transformers... I still have all my old figures and even started to buy some of the new Japanese ones recently.
  • JuanKerr 6 Jan 2009 08:33:17 36,238 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Garbage Pale Kids

I used to love Garbage Pale Kids, but they did freak me out a bit. Looking at them again, they are very, very dark aren't they?!
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 08:35:06 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup, I'm shocked at just how fucked up a lot of these toys are.. it's bloody sad that society can change so much in 20 years that the things I loved when I was a wee boy, my kids are never going to be allowed.

Oh well, there is always ebay and insane mark-up prices I suppose.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2009 08:36:26
    cozenezoc wrote:
    What were the little space dudes with magnets in their feet and cool spaceships?

StarCom!!!!!!!!
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 08:37:03 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cozenezoc wrote:
    What were the little space dudes with magnets in their feet and cool spaceships?

You might be able to help me here, I had a toy in the 90's and I can't for the life of me remember what it is, could be what you are talking about.

Had tiny little spacemen with spaceships etc, you could bend there legs so they could sit but that was about it (so a bit like lego men in that respect), and the 'bad guys' were aliens, and the aliens came with orange capsules which had green smelly goo inside (basically playdoh). A virtual jaffacake for anybody who can name it for me.

edit: not sure if it was starcom, I'd have to see the orange capsule to be sure and the google image results for starcom only seem to have the good guys.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jan 2009 08:37:39 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember being able to buy toy guns that looked realistic, doesn't seem to be the case these days.

As for my favourite toys, lego was the daddy, proper lego as well. None of these fancy shapes :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• paul_haine 6 Jan 2009 08:41:38 4,205 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PAIL
  • LeoliansBro 6 Jan 2009 08:53:18 43,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread has already made my day due to reminding me of the awesomness that is StarCom!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• JohnnyWashnGo 6 Jan 2009 08:56:30 1,544 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    I remember being able to buy toy guns that looked realistic, doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Yeah, they seem to have cracked down on toys that look realistic.

Back when I was a kid, I have a Transformers toy called Megatron. Here is how he looked: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:G1Megatron_toy.jpg

Pretty spot on for a real gun and liable to get you shot if you walk around the streets carrying it these days.

Recently, Takara in Japan created a new verson of Megatron in their Masterpiece Transformers line. He was really good and looked like this: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:GunmodeMegsMasterpieceConvoy.jpg and http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:MasterpieceMegsBigAssCannon.jpg

Now this was a real work of art and quite expensive to boot. The gun looked authentic but was oversized, so at a glance could be confused for the real thing but not upon closer inspection.

You wouldn't believe how had this figure was to import into the USA and sometimes the UK. Importers started to open the box and attach big orange plugs to the gun barrel just to show it wasn't real. Some people had their toys confiscated at customs and never actually received them.

I suppose due to the tighter restrictions on toys and what they can look like these days, when Hasbro made a new Megatron for their Classics line, they made it like this: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Megatronclassicstoy.jpg

Looks hideous but will not be confused for aything other than a water pistol ;)
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Jan 2009 08:57:13 24,983 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My friend has about thirty Monsters in My Pocket lined up on a shelf in his kitchen :D
  • Deleted user 6 January 2009 08:58:10
    @LB: Yup. Truly the greatest toy I've ever owned. I wish I still had them.

@Pirotic: The enemies in Starcom were just the same as the goodies but they wore black spacesuits, and as far as I can remember, the figures didn't bend at the knee.
  • Trane 6 Jan 2009 09:01:35 4,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Manta Force and Dinoriders ftw.

I had many of these, epic =)

Along with the usual transformers/he-man/ghostbusters, naturally.
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 09:04:03 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saturn_Ascends wrote:
    @LB: Yup. Truly the greatest toy I've ever owned. I wish I still had them.

@Pirotic: The enemies in Starcom were just the same as the goodies but they wore black spacesuits, and as far as I can remember, the figures didn't bend at the knee.

Do they bend at the hip tho so they can sit down? and do you remember the badguys ever coming with orange capsules of goo (I assume it was supposed to be toxic waste or something).
  • LeoliansBro 6 Jan 2009 09:06:28 43,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Starcom characters definitely bend at the knee and the hip. I had a couple, and some funky little base stations that folded into boxes.

• Deleted user 6 January 2009 09:08:49
    Ah, Manta Force! Been trying to find what they were called for years.

I had Dino Riders too but not that awesome looking T-Rex that I've just seen when googling.
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 09:11:32 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Manta Force!

I think that could be it :D
  • Merlinho 6 Jan 2009 09:12:00 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone remember Crossbows and Catapults? What a game that was, firing those discs and destroying your opponents' wall. Also encouraged thought about structural strength, by allowing you to construct the wall any way you wanted. Cracking game.
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 09:14:04 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    this?

/shakes fist at parents for not purchasing.
  • THFourteen 6 Jan 2009 09:16:42 33,099 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i thought they were called cabbage patch kids.

and mask toys were the best

mask crusaders working overtime fighting crime
  • smoothpete 6 Jan 2009 09:17:33 31,459 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M.A.S.K. was excellent
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 09:18:57 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mask?

The little robot who doubled as a moped was good, the rest I couldn't care less about. I'd team him up with my Snarf thundercat toy for some comedy duo pretend fun!

"snarf no like this moped robot thingy"
    "beep beep"
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Jan 2009 09:19:03 24,983 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    i thought they were called cabbage patch kids.

Garbage Pail Kids were a bit of a piss-take, cool version of them.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jan 2009 09:20:06 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Merlinho wrote:
    Anyone remember Crossbows and Catapults? What a game that was, firing those discs and destroying your opponents' wall. Also encouraged thought about structural strength, by allowing you to construct the wall any way you wanted. Cracking game.

We used to use plastic soldiers and lego and then throw sticks and stones.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• smoothpete 6 Jan 2009 09:20:53 31,459 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    "snarf no like this moped robot thingy"
    "beep beep"
    lol

Come on, MASK was awesome. I had loads of them
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Jan 2009 09:21:01 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    Merlinho wrote:

We used to use plastic soldiers and lego and then throw sticks and stones.

Did you also say to you friend 'hey you wanna come on my side?' for the complete mega-lo-mania experience :D
  • LeoliansBro 6 Jan 2009 09:22:09 43,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

mask crusaders working overtime fighting crime

They were literally working overtime as well, IIRC. One of them was a pizza chef.

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous