Commute to work, how long is acceptable? Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• SooperCooper 5 Jan 2009 16:23:45 112 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    5 - 7 mins by Bike (depending on weather)
    15 mins by Car

So obviously I pedal.
  • Deleted user 5 January 2009 16:36:23
    3.5 hrs a day

1.5 hr in the morning 2 hrs to get home.

Traffic is the main fucker probably 45 min if the roads are clear.
  • wizbob 5 Jan 2009 17:06:51 782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've managed to cut my commute from 35 minutes in the car to 5 minutes by bike and the quality-of-life improvement means that I would be loath to take on a long commute again.

As another poster noted, not feeling tired is the key. The commuting time comes out of YOUR free time and it's up to you to decide what it's worth to you. I certainly wouldn't settle for having amazing weekends if I had to fully write-off the other 5 days a week.
  • pistol 5 Jan 2009 17:07:37 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did an hour each way until 3 years ago. Now it's more like 30 mins each way.
  • angeltreats 31 Jan 2010 17:59:00 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How bad does it look on your CV if you quit a job very soon after starting because you hated the commute?

I've been in my job for about two months. It's 30 miles from home to work and takes me an hour on a good day, anything up to 90 minutes on a bad day, and I work till 6pm so I'm usually not home till after 7pm. I work in Oxford - anyone living/working there will know how disgusting the traffic is, and sometimes I can be driving for half an hour before even getting out of second gear because of gridlocked traffic. Lots of times I've almost fallen asleep, and every day I get a little bit angrier and drive a little bit faster on the short stretches of dual carriageway to shave off a few minutes (naughty I know). It really is absolutely wearing me out.

Am I being really unrealistic to want to not have to sit in a car for anything up to three hours a day and get home at maybe 6pm?
  • angeltreats 31 Jan 2010 18:05:48 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't want to move btw. We specifically moved away from London because we loved the area we were moving to. And I can't really look for work closer to home while I'm in my current job because it would be impossible to get to interviews etc during working hours (and there's only so many dentist appointments you can fabricate).
  • Jeepers 31 Jan 2010 18:07:15 13,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    How bad does it look on your CV if you quit a job very soon after starting because you hated the commute?

(snip)

Am I being really unrealistic to want to not have to sit in a car for anything up to three hours a day and get home at maybe 6pm?

I don't think it would look great on your CV, unless the next job was a step-up.

On the other hand, if it's causing you that much stress then your quality of life is probably more important. What's the public transport like in your area? It'll probably take more or less the same amount of time, but at least you'd be able to read, or snooze or whatever.
  • Khanivor 31 Jan 2010 18:08:18 41,064 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't understand people who put up with long commutes. As far as I'm concerned, if you commute for two hours a day to get to your eight hour a day job for all intents and purposes you have a ten hour work day but only get paid for eight of them.

My commute is about ten minutes regardless of the time of day.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2010 18:09:12
    Mine is a ten minute walk, I'm not sure I could take having to sit in a car for an hour or more every day just to get there. It would have to be a hell of a lot more fun than it is for me to do that (or I would have to be desperate for the money).
  • angeltreats 31 Jan 2010 18:09:59 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Public transport from home to where I work is pretty much non-existent. It would be a bus taking about half an hour or forty minutes, then a train taking about forty minutes, then another train taking probably the same, then another bus that could take up to an hour at that time of day. Also it would cost a fortune as you couldn't get a season ticket (you'd need four separate season tickets I think). Definitely not feasible.

ETA: It's costing me roughly 150 a month in petrol and I'm only earning 23k.
  • Jeepers 31 Jan 2010 18:11:20 13,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did the Cambridge - Soho Square commute for a little under a year. At least two hours door-to-door and more if the trains fucked up. So an extra 4 hours a day or 20 hours a week :(

It was horrible. But the pay was obscene, so I stuck with it until my soul shrivelled to a dusty grey husk.
  • Sephi 31 Jan 2010 18:12:40 142 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I live 8 miles from my place of work, it takes 45 minutes via public transport or about 15 minutes via motorbike

Don't have a licence any more so it's 45 minutes... (And it's only a pound each way)
  • Khanivor 31 Jan 2010 18:14:02 41,064 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    ETA: It's costing me roughly 150 a month in petrol and I'm only earning 23k.

Factor in transport costs and commute time and you're essentially making roughly 3 quid less per hour then if you lived next door to work.
  • mwtb 31 Jan 2010 18:14:51 2,381 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:

If I was interviewing someone who had recently quit a job after a short period I'd just be interested in knowing what the problem was. If I heard "I didn't realise how arduous the commute would be" then I might dig a little to see if they had a tendency to not think their decisions through but unless there was a history of short stints in jobs I doubt I'd hold it against them.

In short, I'd expect to be asked about it but it shouldn't be a big problem. Unless, of course, you're applying for another job where there's a bit of a commute involved.
  • angeltreats 31 Jan 2010 18:19:04 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blizeH wrote:

It's being stuck in traffic that's the real killer imo, I can quite happily drive around here listening to music/podcasts as the scenery is actually really nice, and you know, you're actually doing something, but when you grind to a halt and there are tens and tens of cars just stuck in front of you, it becomes quite frustrating, especially on a daily basis...

This is very true. It's so frustrating seeing those endless trails of brake lights in front of you. And even worse when you get stuck behind a lorry for most of the way home when you get past the gridlock. It's hateful.

mwtb - I don't have a history of leaving jobs quickly at all. My last job I was there for four years and left when we moved away from London. The job before I was there for a year before the whole team moved to another firm (a common occurance in the legal industry).

I thought I'd cope alright with it and the first week or so was ok but it very quickly started to wear me out.
  • JoeBlade 31 Jan 2010 18:22:25 2,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I can't understand people who put up with long commutes. As far as I'm concerned, if you commute for two hours a day to get to your eight hour a day job for all intents and purposes you have a ten hour work day but only get paid for eight of them.

My commute is about ten minutes regardless of the time of day.
    This.

Friends of mine have commutes of between 1 and 1.5hrs per day and that already seems excessive to me.

Had a 3-4hrs daily commute once, fortunately it was for a three month job. I don't think I could've managed any longer though, by the end of it I was outright depressed.
    Being single it meant my social life was completely down the drain during that period. On weekdays I only had time to prepare dinner, do household chores and about an hour of R&R before I had to hit the sack again and weekends were spent catching up on all the things I didn't have time for anymore during the week :(

So BOO to long commutes!
  • Deleted user 31 January 2010 18:24:29
    @AT, if its only 2 months, you can omit the job from your CV or as mwtb says, it wont stand against you as long as its not a common thing.

i travel 30 miles a day, but usually its about a 40 minute journey door to door. I'd love one near by which I could use public transport for, but there just arent any. As it is, I'm going to sell my celica for an Aygo or equivalent so I move from 35 mpg to 70. But if you are fed up with the commute now, then move, it doesnt get any easier trust me. I'm sick of the travel myself and there is only so much music you can listen to (or language tapes or audio books). It just gets you down and quality of life is much more important.
  • FWB 31 Jan 2010 18:25:46 45,107 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Worst commute I did was 2 hours... one way. 4 hours a day travelling. Fun, fun, fun. I ended up drinking... A LOT.
  • angeltreats 31 Jan 2010 18:27:40 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    70 mpg? Nice :) I'm getting around 41 mpg at the minute but that's partly stop-start traffic, and partly me ripping the shit out of my poor gearbox to get past overly slow drivers/lorries before the road merges into a single lane again. If it was 'normal' driving I reckon it'd do 50+ mpg.

If I omitted the job from my CV then it would look like I'd been out of work since last September (as I was jobhunting for a couple of months before finding this job). Surely that would look just as bad? Also a new employer would see it on my P45 anyway wouldn't they?
  • Deleted user 31 January 2010 18:27:57
    FWB wrote:
    Worst commute I did was 2 hours... one way. 4 hours a day travelling. Fun, fun, fun. I ended up drinking... A LOT.

Worst I had was 75 miles each way. I aged a LOT in that 18 months. As it was shift work too, some early mornings were hellish.

It was with the RAF, so I had no option.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2010 18:29:51
    angeltreats wrote:

If I omitted the job from my CV then it would look like I'd been out of work since last September (as I was jobhunting for a couple of months before finding this job). Surely that would look just as bad? Also a new employer would see it on my P45 anyway wouldn't they?

True and also interviewers tend to like to see you have a job rather than you are "unemployed and possibly desperate / unemployable for some reason" so, go with the honest approach which is what interviewers like best.

..or at least was what I liked best.
  • FWB 31 Jan 2010 18:33:06 45,107 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    FWB wrote:

Worst I had was 75 miles each way. I aged a LOT in that 18 months. As it was shift work too, some early mornings were hellish.

It was with the RAF, so I had no option.

I was traveling by train, so it was a bit easier. Sit down, read a book, fall asleep and could drink on the way back. The annoying thing was if I had had a car it probably would have taken 25 min. The train couldn't go direct cos of a mountain, so I had to travel south, transfer and then travel north west a bit.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2010 18:38:32
    I can relate to the drinking on long train journeys. I used to have to travel a couple of hundred miles by train each Monday (and some other days sometimes). I'd get up at 5 am and get home at 8pm. I can recall walking into the buffet car one morning at 6:10 am and discovering they served alcohol and having a beer. I was wiped with that and it take me until Wednesday to recover usually.

I'd use public transport now if I could, but it would take ~3 hours each way and cost ~16.
  • lost_soul 31 Jan 2010 18:48:55 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a 15 minute walk, door to door these days (well, it's 20minutes at the moment, because half my route is covered in ice).

I think 40 minutes is probably the limit for me, but only for walking. If I'm driving then it's about 30 minutes.
  • PhoenixFlames 31 Jan 2010 18:54:30 9,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd say 1 hour each way is a maximum. It's not too long to piss you off, if on public transport you have time to do something constructive (e.g. read, watch a few podcasts etc) and you are far enough away from work not to bump in to any of your cuntish work colleagues on the weekend.

edit: also if it snows or you want a sick day it's justified not to have to travel and you won't get spotted if you are lying and fancy nipping to the pub. :p

PSN - phoenix1flames

• HoraceGoesSquiffy 31 Jan 2010 18:58:47 1,563 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    About 3 hrs a day here. Maybe a bit more sometimes. My day goes something like :

Get up with the little'un, Drive in to work, Work, Drive home, Put little'un to bed, Eat dinner, About an hour watching TV or similar with Mrs Horace, then early bed for an early morning.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy etc
  • PhoenixFlames 31 Jan 2010 19:04:08 9,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HoraceGoesSquiffy wrote:
    About 3 hrs a day here. Maybe a bit more sometimes. My day goes something like :

Get up with the little'un, Drive in to work, Work, Drive home, Put little'un to bed, Eat dinner, About an hour watching TV or similar with Mrs Horace, then early bed for an early morning.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy etc

Sucks don't it? :(

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Page

of 9 First / Last