Commute to work, how long is acceptable? Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Megapocalypse 2 Aug 2011 17:26:53 5,490 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    15 minute ride at the moment, though I'm moving further out soon so may be around 20/25 minutes. Would hate having a long commute every day. Don't know how people do it. Especially when I look at the poor fools drivng, stuck in rush-hour traffic everyday.
  • Red-Moose 2 Aug 2011 18:38:19 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i think 1 hr in a train is far better than half an hour by car. but as said the type of train matters. oxford to london is meant to be 50 mins but can become a seatless journey from hell, including reversing back down the li e to go on another track through Didcot.
  • RobotHobo 2 Aug 2011 18:57:50 115 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    i think 1 hr in a train is far better than half an hour by car. but as said the type of train matters. oxford to london is meant to be 50 mins but can become a seatless journey from hell, including reversing back down the li e to go on another track through Didcot.

As an Oxford resident, I can only agree. First Great Western are a shower of bastards.
  • mal 2 Aug 2011 18:59:59 22,787 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I first started in London, I went to work by tube. After a little while I upgraded to train then bus. Then walk then train.

Now I cycle in. Relatively quiet route though it is a bit undulating. Still, I think it's the main reason I'm losing weight (slowly)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• HiddenAway 2 Aug 2011 19:41:43 14,957 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:
    yusha30 wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    an hour each way is my max. Fortunately, I'm 5 mins each way at the moment.
    +1 to this.

Saying that, a commute probably isn't so bad if you're on a train or whatever and try to make the most of it (iPad, lots of reading books, playing games whatever)

This is me essentially. 1 hour 15 minutes both ways (though I'm faster getting out of work than in - though not by much) but most of my train time is taken up with playing the PSP, with music during the train swap and the 5 minute walk home. It's sullied by a 5 minute taxi ride on the way in though, which adds to my costs.

As the only one who takes the train in my workplace, people are usually amazed at how often I come in at almost the exact same time :)

Of course if I work from home, it's cheaper and the commute is about 20 minutes (8 to brush my teeth, 2 to get changed and 10 for my sodding laptop to get going :p) - though that's usually because I have something going on :p

Why do you get a taxi on the way and not on the way out?

I get a lift back to the station. Though if no-one is available (too busy, gone home, I'm the only one in), then I just grab one back.

I did walk back to the station a few years ago (about 25-30 minutes and a lot of sleep on the train thereafter) but somewhere along the line, I became lazy and haven't walked to the station in ages.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• DFawkes 2 Aug 2011 19:57:49 23,716 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a work placement years ago that was 3 hours each way, of which half was on the bus. It'd be an hour nowadays as there's a direct bus now.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• wayneh 2 Aug 2011 22:42:30 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mines not bad a 20min cycle 30 mins on a train followed by another 5min cycle. The downside is I get to work 30mins early and have to wait 30mins for a train when I finish.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• DaM 2 Aug 2011 23:35:02 13,435 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mowgli, don't be daft, you'd be completely miserable, and not able to function well in your personal or work life.

I did the Edinburgh-Glasgow trek by bus for 2 months, hellish, I can't believe people do it every day.

Just bite the bullet and get a room in a nice flat, or digs for the week. Nothing on that 5 night site?

Edit - I forgot to say, I spent last weekend in Edinburgh, I had forgotten how nice it is. If they could just get rid of the students and tourists!
  • megastar 2 Aug 2011 23:37:40 17,197 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I drive for 2 minutes to work every day. Means an extra 3 minutes in bed!
  • Lukey__b 3 Aug 2011 07:58:40 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do about an hour by bus each way. Up until a month ago I was a 5 minute walk from work, but I honestly don't mind the actual bus ride, sat on my arse with a book, its the waiting around for the bus that annoys me.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Dougs 3 Aug 2011 08:00:48 69,004 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nearly Into hour 3 of my commute. Thank Fuck I haven't got to come back the same day.
  • Saucy 3 Aug 2011 09:13:21 2,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've gone from an hour on the bus each way, to an hour driving each way.

Much preferred the bus. Could just sit there and relax. Wouldn't fancy 6 hours a day though. Driving is dull, tiring and at the moment stupidly expensive.
  • monkman76 3 Aug 2011 09:33:21 5,037 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    I did walk back to the station a few years ago but somewhere along the line, I became lazy and haven't walked to the station in ages.

O_o
    There must be a safer route to the station than along the line.
  • HiddenAway 3 Aug 2011 09:37:14 14,957 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:
    I did walk back to the station a few years ago but somewhere along the line, I became lazy and haven't walked to the station in ages.

O_o
    There must be a safer route to the station than along the line.

Well played :D

You know what I meant :p

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Dougs 3 Aug 2011 09:53:59 69,004 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More like Americans.
  • HermanTheTosser 14 Feb 2012 18:03:43 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got a 1hr 40min commute to contend with each way. Sounds a lot but I have to begrudgingly admit that the train service is pretty good (although when it's bas, it's REALLY bad). Train time is a great time to catch up on things - reading, music, DVDs. I'm actually writing this and enjoying the forum on the train.
  • ecu 14 Feb 2012 18:23:09 77,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm unhappy with anything more than 30 mins.

Talked to a friend about this the other day, his commute is 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 mins, depending on traffic. A person in a full time job will work roughly 220 days per year, and he's been at the same job for just over 10 years now.

Doing some rough maths, assuming every single commute is only 45 minutes, he's spent over four MONTHS of his life, sitting in his car travelling to and from work. Pretty crazy.
  • heyyo 14 Feb 2012 18:50:16 14,371 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1 hour door to door is my maximum, my internship was 20 mins door to door with a 0930 start. Perfect.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Feb 2012 03:41:04 4,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm a lucky bugger when i think about it - i'm a 7 minute walk from work. i can roll out of bed at 08:30, shower, bowl of cereal and still be in before my shift kicks off.
  • JBlokeUK 17 Feb 2012 06:01:04 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    45 minutes to an hour for me which I find acceptable, anything over than that on the other hand...

My last job was a 10 minute walk, 5 minute bike ride which was great.

I like it when he's angry.

• Jeepers 17 Feb 2012 07:01:45 13,224 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the trains don't fuck up I'm on about three and half hours commute each day.

It fucking sucks.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Feb 2012 08:32:00 9,221 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The answer to this whole thread is 1 hour.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Deleted user 17 February 2012 08:52:54
    40 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for me. Its a lot longer than I want to do, but jobs are scarce in the North East, so I have to travel if I want to live where I do.

Working from home today though and the commute was about 45 seconds
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 12:11:16
    DaM wrote:
    Mowgli, don't be daft, you'd be completely miserable, and not able to function well in your personal or work life.

I did the Edinburgh-Glasgow trek by bus for 2 months, hellish, I can't believe people do it every day.

Just bite the bullet and get a room in a nice flat, or digs for the week. Nothing on that 5 night site?

Edit - I forgot to say, I spent last weekend in Edinburgh, I had forgotten how nice it is. If they could just get rid of the students and tourists!
    Ha, we ended up moving down as you we're right - it was awful! But the question has come up again, but this time it is worse. I only need to be at work a few/three days a week. And that is at various courts in the south of Scotland, along the borders. Right now we are seriously looking at moving in with her folks near York for just one year while I drive up the few days I need to (taking lessons). She needs voluntary experience and we can't really afford that here, we would save a ton moving in with her folks (well she would, I'll probably end up paying the same in travel.

So, 3 hour commutes. Am I crazy even if this is only a couple days a week?
  • disusedgenius 24 Mar 2013 12:14:56 5,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    York to Scotland and back 3 times a week? Would probably be cheaper to get a B&B nearish the court in question for 2 nights, no?
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2013 12:31:11 8,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My boss on my placement year had a house in Yorkshire and worked in London. He converted a Ford Transit into a camper van. So he drove down on Monday morning, spent the week in a caravan park and drove back on Friday. (He did that for a few years but eventually got work closer to home).

Since I moved house I have a 5 minute walk, 12 minute train and another 5 minute walk at the other end. So much better than before!
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2013 12:33:51 8,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mowgli As suggested above a B&B or cheap hotel for 2 nights seems the sensible approach. That is of course assuming the 3 days are consecutive!
  • elstoof 24 Mar 2013 12:35:22 8,056 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're taking driving lessons at the moment? That's going to be quite a jump going straight into 3 hour commutes.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 12:41:13
    Yeah the court dates aren't always consecutive which is annoying. Even the weeks can vary which is annoying.

Yeah I'm kinda jumping the gun with lessons to 3 hours on the highway, but needs must!
  • Page

of 9 First / Last