Commute to work, how long is acceptable? Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Dougs 2 Aug 2011 15:42:46 67,665 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The way I rationalise it in my head is that to get anywhere I could afford near London, I'd still be at least 90 mins out. So what's another 30-60 mins.
  • PhoenixFlames 2 Aug 2011 15:42:51 8,997 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Anyone done anything as daft as a two and a half hour commute each way? Would involve getting up at 4 every morning! :(

I would want to be paid a minimum of 150k to consider doing that.

I'd do it for 50K. For 150k a year i'd come into work in a gimp suit if it was required.

Nah, that quality of life isn't worth it for 50k minus tax and travel.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• THFourteen 2 Aug 2011 15:48:17 33,404 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i agree, 1h each way max. I know we all need money but do you really want to waste away entire weeks just working and going to work? no evenings in the pub, no gym time, no gaming time, no time for crappy tv?

what kind of a life is that.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2011 15:55:24
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Don't be a tard Mowgli.
    Come home at weekends or alternate visits with your wee sister.
    Don't kid yourself that it being "just on the train" will make it somehow doable, it won't.

Is it in Glasgow/Edi?
    Aberdeen to Edinburgh, the more I think about it the more fucking daft it sounds. Just don't want to leave Abdn just yet as we have a nice place here and the job is only temporary.
  • robthehermit 2 Aug 2011 15:56:17 4,072 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    5 minute drive, so very lucky.
    Rarely make it in on time though :)

This.

It's almost as though the close proximity of my office overrides my sense of timing. In fact funnily enough if I'm going to be late it's usually by about 5 minutes.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Dougs 2 Aug 2011 16:03:49 67,665 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So you'll find another place. You do only rent after all. Easy to move about
  • mrpon 2 Aug 2011 16:05:09 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They'll be other jobs mowgli, chins up.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• HiddenAway 2 Aug 2011 16:10:09 14,887 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yusha30 wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    an hour each way is my max. Fortunately, I'm 5 mins each way at the moment.
    +1 to this.

Saying that, a commute probably isn't so bad if you're on a train or whatever and try to make the most of it (iPad, lots of reading books, playing games whatever)

This is me essentially. 1 hour 15 minutes both ways (though I'm faster getting out of work than in - though not by much) but most of my train time is taken up with playing the PSP, with music during the train swap and the 5 minute walk home. It's sullied by a 5 minute taxi ride on the way in though, which adds to my costs.

As the only one who takes the train in my workplace, people are usually amazed at how often I come in at almost the exact same time :)

Of course if I work from home, it's cheaper and the commute is about 20 minutes (8 to brush my teeth, 2 to get changed and 10 for my sodding laptop to get going :p) - though that's usually because I have something going on :p

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• mrpon 2 Aug 2011 16:12:36 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woah woah woah, back that shit up a minute. EIGHT minutes to clean your teeth?! Who the fuck are you, Janet Street-Porter?!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 2 August 2011 16:13:08
    Yeah you're all right. I think I was wanting someone to tell me 'yeah been doing it for years, piece of piss' or something. I do like travelling on the train - I seem to get so much done on the train - but I think the novelty would wear very thin very fast!
  • thedaveeyres 2 Aug 2011 16:14:22 11,058 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The correct answer to the OP is:

In the South-East 2-4 hours

Everywhere else: 45 minutes

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• HiddenAway 2 Aug 2011 16:18:04 14,887 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Woah woah woah, back that shit up a minute. EIGHT minutes to clean your teeth?! Who the fuck are you, Janet Street-Porter?!

It feels like 8 minutes :p

(Might be because I'm busy clearing the gunk out my eyes too :p)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• JuanKerr 2 Aug 2011 16:19:00 36,246 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HiddenAway, yesterday.
  • billythekid 2 Aug 2011 16:22:06 11,131 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    HiddenAway, yesterday.

That's got to be a set of Billy Bob Teeth surely!
  • billythekid 2 Aug 2011 16:27:57 11,131 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a train for the first time in ages last week. Into Paddington and then to Kings Cross during rush hour. Felt like my own personal hell.
    Mind you, from KC to York was actually quite a pleasant journey and much better than sitting in a car for that distance.
  • JuanKerr 2 Aug 2011 16:29:22 36,246 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I ran, I could do my commute in less than 8 seconds.
  • Ged42 2 Aug 2011 16:29:39 7,730 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My commute is either to my desk just beyond the end of my bed or a tram/train/bus ride to anywhere in Greater London (sometimes further). Taking me anything from 20 minutes to 3 hours each way, depending on where I need to be and the state of the London transport system.
  • JuanKerr 2 Aug 2011 16:30:17 36,246 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just tried it - 7.84 seconds.
  • warlockuk 2 Aug 2011 16:31:34 19,163 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My door to door is 45mins. I'd take an hour on the train if I had to, though - I quite like the time to wake up, read etc.
    I usually just spend half an hour unwinding when I get home before I do anything worthwhile, so spending that time reading on a train is fine by me.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• JuanKerr 2 Aug 2011 16:42:47 36,246 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't have a car.
  • gammonbanter 2 Aug 2011 16:49:41 1,499 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    yusha30 wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    an hour each way is my max. Fortunately, I'm 5 mins each way at the moment.
    +1 to this.

Saying that, a commute probably isn't so bad if you're on a train or whatever and try to make the most of it (iPad, lots of reading books, playing games whatever)

This is me essentially. 1 hour 15 minutes both ways (though I'm faster getting out of work than in - though not by much) but most of my train time is taken up with playing the PSP, with music during the train swap and the 5 minute walk home. It's sullied by a 5 minute taxi ride on the way in though, which adds to my costs.

As the only one who takes the train in my workplace, people are usually amazed at how often I come in at almost the exact same time :)

Of course if I work from home, it's cheaper and the commute is about 20 minutes (8 to brush my teeth, 2 to get changed and 10 for my sodding laptop to get going :p) - though that's usually because I have something going on :p

Why do you get a taxi on the way and not on the way out?

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• RabidChild 2 Aug 2011 16:55:38 2,292 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Five minutes' drive for me!

Which is great until someone forgets their keys or forgets whether they've shut a window or not, then it's me who has to come and sort it.
    It's probably worth it for a 5 minute communte, though.
  • Red-Moose 2 Aug 2011 17:04:55 5,346 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i do around an hour each way; fyra to rotterdam for 35 mins and then a metro for around 15 minutes. its quite pleasant, i do a bit of reading, and only work monday to thursday.
  • THFourteen 2 Aug 2011 17:20:54 33,404 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dont forget also depends on the type of train

eg) trains from croydon to london bridge are always jam packed at rush hour, good luck getting a seat in order to play on your ipad.

and if you do play on your ipad, good luck not getting mugged in croydon on the way home
  • Page

of 9 First / Last